As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Witness the beginning of a [movies] thread

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Stop making movies. There are enough movies. It's time to make something else.

Fanfiction's time to shine

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Shut your mouth.
    That's how we got Fifty Shades of Grey.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    When new movies are outlawed, only outlaws will have new movies.

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Oh, a chance to trot out m' favourite wrestling story (and apologies if i've mentioned it before).

As an 80's kid, i loved wrestling, and was lucky enough to grow up watching that era's greats (even though, as i got older and learned more about how shite some of them were....that was a bit of a bitter pill). Anyhow, i was starting to grow out of it, but the WWF had a show close to my hometown, and i convinced mum to take me.

To be honest, i don't remember most of it, but there was a tag-team match between The Rockers and The Nasty Boys (did they spell Boyz with a zed?). Anyways, usual heel shenanigans ensued and one of the Boys (Boyz?) tapped one of the Rockers on the dome with a boot and down he went for the count. i mean, clearly, even to young me, it was at best a love tap. i'd been getting to the point where i knew wrestling was fake, but even so, seeing it all bald and all. It was a little heartbreaking.

To more tightly tether this to the thread, i'm currently getting soggy drunk and waiting to see Alita. i'm pretty excited for this, and hoping it lands between Aquaman (ok, i guess) and Suspiria (great, but all the German made things tough to follow, since all the subtitling was in Japanese).

Also, though it's been awhile since i posted in this thread, i wasn't assimilated by a Thing (but, then again, would i even know?).

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Oh, a chance to trot out m' favourite wrestling story (and apologies if i've mentioned it before).

As an 80's kid, i loved wrestling, and was lucky enough to grow up watching that era's greats (even though, as i got older and learned more about how shite some of them were....that was a bit of a bitter pill). Anyhow, i was starting to grow out of it, but the WWF had a show close to my hometown, and i convinced mum to take me.

To be honest, i don't remember most of it, but there was a tag-team match between The Rockers and The Nasty Boys (did they spell Boyz with a zed?). Anyways, usual heel shenanigans ensued and one of the Boys (Boyz?) tapped one of the Rockers on the dome with a boot and down he went for the count. i mean, clearly, even to young me, it was at best a love tap. i'd been getting to the point where i knew wrestling was fake, but even so, seeing it all bald and all. It was a little heartbreaking.

To more tightly tether this to the thread, i'm currently getting soggy drunk and waiting to see Alita. i'm pretty excited for this, and hoping it lands between Aquaman (ok, i guess) and Suspiria (great, but all the German made things tough to follow, since all the subtitling was in Japanese).

Also, though it's been awhile since i posted in this thread, i wasn't assimilated by a Thing (but, then again, would i even know?).

Easy enough to find out - all I need is a blood sample in a petri dish, a paperclip, and a butane torch.

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular

Easy enough to find out - all I need is a blood sample in a petri dish, a paperclip, and a butane torch.

Hrrmm...funny story, but...like i've got the petri dish, paperclip, and torch, but...well, ah hah, i'm just fresh outta blood. i oughta check Amazon.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

Hrrmm...funny story, but...like i've got the petri dish, paperclip, and torch, but...well, ah hah, i'm just fresh outta blood. i oughta check Amazon.

Try chrishallett83, he looks like he’s full of blood.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Yeah they're always talkin about how much blood they got, lordin it over us

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Shut your mouth.
    That's how we got Fifty Shades of Grey.

I mean by that metric we shouldn't make any TV ever again because Arrested Development Season 5 exists. Videogames? Those are right out thanks to, uh, Custer's Revenge I guess?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I've heard worse arguments

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I've heard worse arguments

Actually, yeah

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hear me out.

Books: The Sequel.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Armitage III is generally considered to have aged poorly. A few cool action shots but not a whole ton else. This is true for a lot of 80s/90s cyberpunk-y anime miniseries (and I say this as someone who really deeply enjoys trashy cyberpunk-y anime)

Imagine what the mainstream live action version of Tenchi Muyo will be like when that inevitably happens!

no, god no, please god no

there's no need for tenchi

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    What, like reading? It'll never catch on!

• Options
    If we stopped makin Custers Revenges and Arrested Development Season 5s we'd be playin golf on Pluto in fifty years

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Hear me out.

|2ooks

• Options
    Let's go back to the oral tradition. All stories are passed down from person to person via live telling. Thanks to the internet we can get a much further reach and even record stories for others to liste- this is podcasts. I've described podcasts. Never mind all storytelling is dead

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Hear me out.

|2ooks

Rooks?

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Hear me out.

|2ooks

Rooks?

Ri'm reading, raggy!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    First Reformed is streaming on Amazon Prime now and that movie is goooooood

both it and Sorry to Bother You were basically movies about peering into my brain and displaying all of my anxieties about the future, with wildly different tonal results

First Reformed: a movie about the paralyzing terror of the encroaching climate apocalypse! fun...?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Alita had like three climax-epilogue cycles in the ended that felt weird, but overall I loved it! All the action scenes were awesome. Black Knight eat your heart out.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMlHDNdLGU8
    Becky Something (Elisabeth Moss, The Handmaid’s Tale) is a '90s rock superstar who once filled arenas with her band Something She. When her excesses derail a national tour, she's forced to reckon with her past while recapturing the inspiration that led her band to success. Featuring an all-star cast, including Cara Delevingne (Suicide Squad), Dan Stevens (Downton Abbey), Amber Heard (Aquaman), Her Smell is director Alex Ross Perry’s “greatest achievement yet” (The Daily Beast).

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2019
    Always fun to see Elizabeth Moss do something out of her wheelhouse. She's got really great range.

edit: oh carla delevingne never mind

Tube on
  • Options
    I always like a good director/actor team

3 of the last 4 movies Alex Ross Perry has directed have starrred Elisabeth Moss

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

Try chrishallett83, he looks like he’s full of blood.

Yeah I got lots of blood - what of it, huh?

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I’ve heard nothing but good things about Her Smell

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Man if you take the capitalization out of this it becomes a sentence nobody should ever say

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Good thing I capitalized it then!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    finally getting around to watching Lucky

I sure do miss Harry Dean Stanton, but man, what a movie to go out on

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Man if you take the capitalization out of this it becomes a sentence nobody should ever say

"things you can type but not say"

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Lucky is a great movie. David Lynch’s monologue is really something.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    They should have done one of those pretentious all lowercase titles for Her Smell, just to cause trouble.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    I watched Polar. I liked it a lot.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    KFC has an ad campaign with Robocop now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NdAnCwTfSE

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'd buy that for a dollar.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Is this a good walk-back, I genuinely can't tell anymore

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Not linking the Twitter thread she made due to graphic descriptions contained within, but Valkyrie Weather (Rob Cohen's trans daughter) told her story today about Rob sexually assaulting her

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

Overcorrected

Nobody is going to buy that the new Ghostbusters was an amazing movie

• Options
    edited February 2019

I wouldn't even call it a walk-back. It's just hollow praise that he's hoping will make you forget about the implications of his previous statement

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I could see that being a fair walkback if this all happened on the same day and it was a case of "oh shit, poor phrasing on my part, lemme tweet real quick to clear it up."

I think this has been out there a few days though, hasn't it?

This discussion has been closed.