Options

-13 degree [chat]

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Doodmann wrote: »
    the UK must have a Chad equivalent

It'd be some name associated with Chavs

It might just be Chavs

Chav is basically a slur against poor white people, so no.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Oh
    My
    God
    Becky
    Look
    At her
    Butt

Toxic femininity.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    BSoB wrote: »
    Has anyone considered moving all the heat from the warm places to the cold places and evening it out?

I say we give Elon Musk a trillion dollars to get started on this right away.

The average air temperature at earth’s surface is 14°C / 57°F. This is ok but maybe we can do slightly better. Like, omit antarctica from the mixing and get it up a little higher.

Elon's grand vision is without flaw you Luddite.

BSoB on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Re: dick conversation yesterday

it's super

super

weird that they have parts that respond very specifically to high estrogen concentrations.

Like I get why, since it's just some tissue that could've been something else if the differentiation went a different way, but it's still strange a f

Wait did this this discussion actually go somewhere yesterday? I was confused and fascinated but I missed out on the conclusion.

They have different mouthfeel was the conclusion :P

What I'm referring to is that the raphe (ridge on the bottom that basically runs from the glans to the anus) darkens when the hormone concentration has a lot of estrogen. You can see sort of the same thing in pregnant women, who sometimes have a dark line on their lower abdomen (I.. think that's where it is). Anyway, it gets a fair bit darker than it usually is, and darker than surrounding tissue, leading to an actual visual distinction between men's and trans girls' genitals, which is pretty cool!

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The problem is there is a chad in every class stratification which makes in more complicated in your overtly class

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »

Edmund?

Neville?

I was going to say like Oliver or Robin.

Oliver carries with it no connotations except slight poshness and the name Robin is a glorious moniker for winners and gorgeous people of all genders.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

I dunno. It kind of conjures up a tanned, stupid, intimidating but not overly muscled bully in a high school drama. Someone with boundless self-confidence and a future in dealing roofies.

I dunno if there's a precise equivalent over here. For a start, they probably aren't tanned. And for another most stereotypes would have to have a strong class element.

Chad wears a polo most of the time and his family is upper middle class or just plain upper class. He went to a private boarding school for two years of high school but got kicked out for selling chewing tobacco to 14 year olds. Now he attends the most prestigious engineering school his parents could donate his way into.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

Edmund?

Neville?

The biggest "Chad" I met in Ireland was a Robin so this tracks. Great guy, but definitely a chad.

I like to ART
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Chet in Weird Science.

• Options

I dunno. It kind of conjures up a tanned, stupid, intimidating but not overly muscled bully in a high school drama. Someone with boundless self-confidence and a future in dealing roofies.

I dunno if there's a precise equivalent over here. For a start, they probably aren't tanned. And for another most stereotypes would have to have a strong class element.

Chad wears a polo most of the time and his family is upper middle class or just plain upper class. He went to a private boarding school for two years of high school but got kicked out for selling chewing tobacco to 14 year olds. Now he attends the most prestigious engineering school his parents could donate his way into.

Yeah I dunno if we have an equivalent. Maybe a Sebastian that demands everyone call him 'Seb'.

• Options
    Glenn Powell in Scream Queens is a good example of what I have in mind.

I like to ART
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I’m just glad my name isn’t actually Karen or Becky. Don’t ever use my name for one of these internet insults, please.

• Options

Edmund?

Neville?

The biggest "Chad" I met in Ireland was a Robin so this tracks. Great guy, but definitely a chad.

O FUCKIN' RLY

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    There is a fantasy series with a lot of it's magic based on music called Symphony of Ages. Though it's pretty much just in service of going between sexual encounters, 13 year old me found it very educational.

Yoshisummons on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    My sister is a Becky and in college she bought boxes of Franzia’s white zinfandel so I cant pretend like the stereotypes aren’t 1000% true

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I am kind of grossed out in general by the use of shorthand like Chad to demean a person for what is basically normal human boringness or having a certain lifestyle.

It is like looking at a person who likes something considered stereotypically boring middle class and using that as shorthand to make fun of them as if liking that boring stuff is worthy of mocking them instead of the actually terrible shit they do.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    DK you mentioned a while ago that one of the big mistakes you made in your early coding career was ignoring established design patterns. I've been idly looking into design patterns and such (while... on my phone walking to my car). They aren't a thing I'm going to immediately know when to use when hobby coding, I don't think. Did you learn them via being forced to at work, or was there a specific set of exercises or things you studied to figure out what was out there and when to use it?

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I should have been in a frat in college. I regret that.

y tho

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Flags have been at half mast and I'm reluctant to ask why

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Edmund?

Neville?

O FUCKIN' RLY

is being a chad a bad thing?

I mean, doesn't chad just mean "outgoing guy who's a goer"?

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    I am kind of grossed out in general by the use of shorthand like Chad to demean a person for what is basically normal human boringness or having a certain lifestyle.

It is like looking at a person who likes something considered stereotypically boring middle class and using that as shorthand to make fun of them as if liking that boring stuff is worthy of mocking them instead of the actually terrible shit they do.

But it's more about calling out the unearned confidence and societal blindness of an athletic and good looking upper class straight white male.

I am almost certainly a Chad to someone in this world.

I like to ART
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    DK you mentioned a while ago that one of the big mistakes you made in your early coding career was ignoring established design patterns. I've been idly looking into design patterns and such (while... on my phone walking to my car). They aren't a thing I'm going to immediately know when to use when hobby coding, I don't think. Did you learn them via being forced to at work, or was there a specific set of exercises or things you studied to figure out what was out there and when to use it?

I think the thing that really drills a design pattern into your head is having a real-world problem where that design pattern is the correct solution.

There’s no real substitute for seeing it work in action applied to a specific problem.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Obviously the protagonist of the novel in question was a six-foot white man with blond hair in a pony tail who wore a trenchcoat and had an ever-changing suite of arcane powers

Good lord

I don't think it's about the stuff they like, it's about how much they fit into an entire stereotype of behaviour and attitude

Also, individuality is an illusion

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    So I just went to hospital to get the blood work done that I was meant to have done about a week ago before I passed out

Well, after five (!) attempts to find a vein without any luck, they sent me to a dedicated blood testing unit

And fucking hell, I think I met some kind of angel of phlebotomy there

The first staff member I saw heard my case, straight up said "I'm not experienced enough for this" and made me wait for a bit

And then this stunningly gorgeous blonde nurse walks up to me, practically tells me to shut up when I try to explain that I might be difficult to draw blood from, jabs me and takes my blood before I even knew it had happened

I went from feeling like a pin cushion to feeling like my blood has been fucking stolen and I'm not even mad

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    Flags have been at half mast and I'm reluctant to ask why

Nothing on CNN's website.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Other than jokes on the internet no one stops dead in their tracks when meeting a chad and asks "so when does your collar pop?" because that's foolish and silly to think like that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Names that carry stereotypical connotations here are probably ones like Wayne or Sharon, posher names like Miles, ridiculously posh names like, I dunno, Annunziata or nicknames that obviously stem from public school like Squiffy, Pimms or Muffin-Rack.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Oh god, Neco is trying to be funny again, god she’s such a Nicole

Neco on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Ahhh a random spot appeared on my finger now I'm going to be in cancer scare mode until a I see a Dr which might not be until March wtf why does it take so long to see a Dr?!?!

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

But it's more about calling out the unearned confidence and societal blindness of an athletic and good looking upper class straight white male.

I am almost certainly a Chad to someone in this world.

I am definitely a chad in someone's eyes.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

Edmund?

Neville?

I assume anyone named Neville I am obligated to push over and take their lunch money.

I think they also have to look like John Oliver but with bigger teeth.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    tape is aghast I never read any Elric novels

• Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    whats in a name?

letters you dumbo

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    Ahhh a random spot appeared on my finger now I'm going to be in cancer scare mode until a I see a Dr which might not be until March wtf why does it take so long to see a Dr?!?!

A random spot? Ringworm?

• Options
    Obviously the protagonist of the novel in question was a six-foot white man with blond hair in a pony tail who wore a trenchcoat and had an ever-changing suite of arcane powers

How awful.

*buries yellowing exercise book containing precisely two pages of an EPIC SAGA featuring just such a protagonist*

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    my hero's so white he's an albino

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    The most important thing programming has taught me is that when you fail, fail loudly, so that someone can learn something from your mistakes.

• Options

I took a course that forced me to learn them, basically. And then years later I realized I was badly reinventing many of them in my personal projects so I went back and reviewed some of it and found them extraordinarily helpful.

Things like object pools, singletons, decorators, iterators, and observers were patterns I ended up coming to on my own, then going to the text book and reading more formal, airtight versions of them.

I believe this was the textbook: https://www.amazon.com/Design-Patterns-Elements-Reusable-Object-Oriented/dp/0201633612

• Options
    tape is aghast I never read any Elric novels

They're fun! Lots of the Eternal Champion books are good reads. They're short, each one literally brimming with invention that would last a lesser writer for a five book saga, have weird heroes who are often half-whacked out on drugs or vampiric swords, and generally fight against stale conventions in fantasy.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I should buy Weird Science.

This discussion has been closed.