Options

-13 degree [chat]

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I won like 6 magic games in a row and got one win away from diamond 2.

I then proceeded to lose like 10 games in a row and fall back into diamond 4.

I am not convinced that there's not a deck matching algorithm in place for ranked because whenever I play sultai, all control opponents, who slaughter me. When I play red, all red opponents, who are a complete toss up. Coincidence? Maybe! But maybe not

hqdefault.jpg

Just pretend I photoshopped Teferi's head on here

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Obviously the protagonist of the novel in question was a six-foot white man with blond hair in a pony tail who wore a trenchcoat and had an ever-changing suite of arcane powers

Good lord

If you liked Terry Goodkind, you'll love the new epic fantasy by E. Multifarious

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Ahhh a random spot appeared on my finger now I'm going to be in cancer scare mode until a I see a Dr which might not be until March wtf why does it take so long to see a Dr?!?!

A random spot? Ringworm?

Nah.

A dark spot that looks sorta like a mole but literally just appeared recently out of no where.

Blegh.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Chad is short for Chadley

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Names that carry stereotypical connotations here are probably ones like Wayne or Sharon, posher names like Miles, ridiculously posh names like, I dunno, Annunziata or nicknames that obviously stem from public school like Squiffy, Pimms or Muffin-Rack.

Pimm's is good I should get another bottle.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Winky wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    DK you mentioned a while ago that one of the big mistakes you made in your early coding career was ignoring established design patterns. I've been idly looking into design patterns and such (while... on my phone walking to my car). They aren't a thing I'm going to immediately know when to use when hobby coding, I don't think. Did you learn them via being forced to at work, or was there a specific set of exercises or things you studied to figure out what was out there and when to use it?

I think the thing that really drills a design pattern into your head is having a real-world problem where that design pattern is the correct solution.

There’s no real substitute for seeing it work in action applied to a specific problem.

The problem is the unknown unknowns. if I notice I have a problem, but I do not have the vocabulary to describe it, then I cannot search for it and find out that I should be using a builder or whatever. I might not even realize it's a common problem - half of what I run into is probably really basic issues that any freshman CS student could suggest answers for, and half is very specific shit like using triply-templated member functions to accept lambdas with arbitrary arguments and apply to specific subsets of things, because I refuse to admit that C++ isn't a functional language.
    DK you mentioned a while ago that one of the big mistakes you made in your early coding career was ignoring established design patterns. I've been idly looking into design patterns and such (while... on my phone walking to my car). They aren't a thing I'm going to immediately know when to use when hobby coding, I don't think. Did you learn them via being forced to at work, or was there a specific set of exercises or things you studied to figure out what was out there and when to use it?

I took a course that forced me to learn them, basically. And then years later I realized I was badly reinventing many of them in my personal projects so I went back and reviewed some of it and found them extraordinarily helpful.

Things like object pools, singletons, decorators, iterators, and observers were patterns I ended up coming to on my own, then going to the text book and reading more formal, airtight versions of them.

I believe this was the textbook: https://www.amazon.com/Design-Patterns-Elements-Reusable-Object-Oriented/dp/0201633612

Thanks! I'll see about adding that to my reading queue.

• Options
    tape is aghast I never read any Elric novels

Tape is not the only one aghast

My word

• Options
    Imagine reading fantasy novels without a drug addled albino protagonist

• Options
    Game of ice and fire will never be top tier until it inspires ridiculous metal bands in the proud lineage of Tolkien, Moorcock, and 40k

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I won like 6 magic games in a row and got one win away from diamond 2.

I then proceeded to lose like 10 games in a row and fall back into diamond 4.

I am not convinced that there's not a deck matching algorithm in place for ranked because whenever I play sultai, all control opponents, who slaughter me. When I play red, all red opponents, who are a complete toss up. Coincidence? Maybe! But maybe not

hqdefault.jpg

Just pretend I photoshopped Teferi's head on here

Ugh, do i need to do everything myself?

d6vcjv4cq1dc.jpg

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    that'll be 30 follows, please.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    For the kingdom hearts people:

4sxfwpawocb7.png

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Hmmmmm
    So my nerd colleague is reading QC and tabs out before showing me her code
    “Oh hah I used to read that for years but I got tired of it”
    “Yeah I’ve been reading it since 2009 and I can’t stop. He makes too many new characters all the time”
    “Yeah like every time he thinks of a new cute girl to put in with a different hairstyle and glasses...it’s a bit much. I do sometimes stop in and read a few hundred pages and see how the characters are doing.”
    “Did you see that Faye is now dating the robot girl she works with?”
    “Hah not surprised, that was telegraphed years ago.”
    “Now don’t get me wrong but I think it’s excessive that every character has to end up in some sort of ‘special’ relationship...”
    “I mean, it takes place in Northampton and Smith is there, so it reads pretty true for the location...” AND ALSO did you seriously just lowkey imply that you think QC is too gay/there aren’t enough ‘normal’ relationships because people have various demographics and sexual orientations are you fucking kidding me; do you know who you’re talking to?

Then we looked at her code and it was interesting but bro, what.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    credeiki wrote: »
    Hmmmmm
    “Yeah I’ve been reading it since 2009 and I can’t stop. He makes too many new characters all the time”
    “Yeah like every time he thinks of a new cute girl to put in with a different hairstyle and glasses...it’s a bit much. I do sometimes stop in and read a few hundred pages and see how the characters are doing.”
    “Now don’t get me wrong but I think it’s excessive that every character has to end up in some sort of ‘special’ relationship...”
    “I mean, it takes place in Northampton and Smith is there, so it reads pretty true for the location...” AND ALSO did you seriously just lowkey imply that you think QC is too gay/there aren’t enough ‘normal’ relationships because people have various demographics and sexual orientations are you fucking kidding me; do you know who you’re talking to?

"How can everyone be gay?"

Bro. Bro. Have you ever actually looked at social clustering?

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Man the prices on this most recent mtg set dropped hard.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    "What the hell kind of Quality Control are they doing?"

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    desc wrote: »
    Game of ice and fire will never be top tier until it inspires ridiculous metal bands in the proud lineage of Tolkien, Moorcock, and 40k

Or, in Moorcock's case, actually playing with them.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Have they? Hydroid Krasis has been skyrocketing since it's been in SCG and whatnot

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Have they? Hydroid Krasis has been skyrocketing since it's been in SCG and whatnot

Only 3 cards above 10 bucks for paper. That card is the only one above 20 but dropped a bit in the last couple of days.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Part of me wants to blow money on the Deluxe Ed. of KH3, but it is not enough.

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    Hmmmmm

"How can everyone be gay?"

Bro. Bro. Have you ever actually looked at social clustering?

She’s so interesting; I actually wrote up a whole description of her as a person on my blog (as part of the unofficial ‘people of consulting’ series that my readers seem to enjoy), but can’t post it here without doxxing. But she’s DAR-eligible Georgia aristocracy, went to cotillion and was expected to debut—but was too busy being a Hot Topic-wearing nerd to do so. Now she’s my age and dresses/acts preppy (decided to embrace her heritage instead of rebelling against it) but still shares a lot of nerd-subcultural similarity and vocal patterns. She’s also a self-trained programmer with basically the same skill set I have; we get on well but we come from very different worlds and sometimes it shows.

• Options
    Also as someone who interacts with the word “mouthfeel” almost daily I am never going to unhear the contrapoints video

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Obviously the protagonist of the novel in question was a six-foot white man with blond hair in a pony tail who wore a trenchcoat and had an ever-changing suite of arcane powers

Good lord

If you liked Terry Goodkind, you'll love the new epic fantasy by E. Multifarious

This is important

Demon Chicken - is there one and is the hero the only one who can kill it because of their moral clarity?
    Again, very important, please respond.

Now Playing:
    Dragon Ball FighterZ [PC] - Sure is a lot of not killing Goku going on right now.
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    this fage 2% yogurt is kinda not my thing

• Options
    edited January 2019
    "What the hell kind of Quality Control are they doing?"

Heh yes I realized that was ambiguous but hey maybe someone will google it and then read 15 years of Questionable Content archives and feel...something. Regretful at the wasted time perhaps.

credeiki on
  • Options
    tyrannus wrote: »
    this fage 2% yogurt is kinda not my thing

2%

Tyrannus pls

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

I think the thing that really drills a design pattern into your head is having a real-world problem where that design pattern is the correct solution.

There’s no real substitute for seeing it work in action applied to a specific problem.

Yeah, a lot of them are cases where you need to see them so you can go "ooh, this makes sense!"

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    i liked the oikos triple zero or whatever more

but this has more protein

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular

I have heard Moorcock inspired a lot of 40k.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    can someone rewrite the human genome better
    we should be able to design PCR primers against any region and have no repetition

• Options
    Hmm trying to make a sell sheet for a wine that has no real identity I can work off of

Um

Hmmm

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

yeah they don't particularly stick in my head until I use one

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Daughters of the American Revolution is amazingly creepy as just a concept. A lineage-based membership service organization for women who are directly descended from a person involved in the United States' efforts towards independence is weird.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    More like lesscock 8-) 8-) 8-)

• Options
    Kadoken wrote: »

I have heard Moorcock inspired a lot of 40k.

Chaos in 40k is pretty much pure photocopied moorcock plus bolt guns

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I bought Fage 5% and I am very pleased with it except for the part where I’m not really exercising in a way that uses the additional calories.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    What does "expected to debut" mean here

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Hmm trying to make a sell sheet for a wine that has no real identity I can work off of

Um

Hmmm

Has notes of Alcohol, good for drinking to get buzzed or drunk.

Pairs best with: A glass.

BSoB on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Then there's a bunch that you understand instantly but you don't see the advantage until later, like dependency injection.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

Um

Hmmm

made of grapes, notes of plant, water, and tartrate

This discussion has been closed.