As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

i need a vacation...

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Edit: wait nvm this absolutely cannot exist at the top of the thread

Peas on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »

Was it about werewolves fucking babies?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Was it about werewolves fucking babies?
    Noooooo

Why the hell not?!?

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    what if you have to poop or pee

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I need to go on a big vacation sometime soon. I’m so stressed and need a good break.

I generally do a couple paxes a year which are nice weekend trips, but I’m talkin like 2 weeks off in some distant place I’ve never been. But I hate traveling alone so I doubt I’ll actually follow through.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I don't plan on travelling this year but I'll definitely take a week off in the summer for a staycation. Those are best kinds of vacation IMO.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    this summer my GF and I are planning to drop the kids off someplace for a few days and go .... anywhere. So long as there is a clean bed and good food, we're not too picky. Preferably a beach too

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I haven't gone on a proper vacation beyond the occasional long weekend in ages, gotta start planning so I can figure what it'd be possible to do this year.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Woke up just before dawn, put coffee on, watching the fog lift off the river while some ducks are here diving into the river.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I was just on baby bonding leave for a month. I was happy to go back to work as it was less work than staying home.

Do you get to choose the baby they bond to you or is it like a random assignment?

It's like that scene in twilight when Jacob imprints on that baby.

Oh no!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Woke up just before dawn, put coffee on, watching the fog lift off the river while some ducks are here diving into the river.

please post a picture of the ducks

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    i just want to throw it out there: this thread is absolutely a place to drop sweet vaycay pics

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Planning on spending three weeks split between northern Italy (hiking the Dolomites) and Portugal (exact locations tbd!) this summer!

Plus usual family trips around thanksgiving and Christmas. Next year I think Alaska in the summer, and maybe New Zealand/Australia in the winter?

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    crwth wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »

please post a picture of the ducks

Sorry I was cooking breakfast. They're gone for now, we're gonna head out looking for some spots on the coast though so might find something. Heard the trail I wanted to take got washed out, apparently the Olympic national park is still recovering from the shutdown.

Weaver on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Personally I am extremely bad at taking vacations that aren't like, going to see family. I grew up with a significant part of my mom's family on the other side of the country, so if we had the time/money to take one vacation a year, it was going to be that.

And now that I'm an adult, even if I have the time or money to take vacations for myself, I feel super guilty about not using that time to go back home and see my folks or whatever. Vacations feel like such a rich person thing to do to me.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Oh, and I just got an email saying that our flights were upgraded to first class. :cool:

I was flying to a family reunion and my brother upgraded our seats because he has a billion frequent flyer miles. A doctor from my work was on the same flight and flying coach. It was one of those planes where the coach people walk past first class. I judged that smelly pleb super hard when he walked by.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Anyway I just got back from a wonderful vacation and god does trying to jump back into work suck

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Oh, and I just got an email saying that our flights were upgraded to first class. :cool:

I was flying to a family reunion and my brother upgraded our seats because he has a billion frequent flyer miles. A doctor from my work was on the same flight and flying coach. It was one of those planes where the coach people walk past first class. I judged that smelly pleb super hard when he walked by.

Now I know you work at Smelly Pleb Central Hospital. Way to dox yourself, noob!

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    I just came back from my vacation. I went to Tokyo with some folks who used to post here, book ended by a solo trip to Bangkok. Unfortunately I almost exclusively take pictures of garbage no one in the world wants to see except for me, like this

T1H2rek.jpg

anyway that's Yoyogi park in Shibuya, where I went by myself and ended up having a catch with a couple that had brought a baseball and two catcher's mits. later I played badminton with a different couple and then some children wanted me to throw around what to me looked like an inflatable detached ass??

I also saw the Rockabilly dancers that apparently go there every Sunday

One day we went to Tokyo Disneyland. I'd never been to any kind of Disneyland before so that was neat. Me and Gary were told we were probably too tall for the rides so they took us to an underground lair where they had us sit in a test version of the rollercoaster. As someone who doesn't really care about rollercoasters, getting to see the underground place was the better outcome for me. Unfortunately I only snapped a pic of the way there, not the actual test place

AMmMO28.jpg

and then we did a hundred more things like robot restaurant, karaoke, a virtual reality place, play in arcades, chatting up strangers (my favourite vacation activity), etc etc. It was a really great trip and it ended up feeling very complete. Avoided the usual post vacation depression because of that, I think!

Oh and in Bangkok all I did was relax like a spoiled little baby with a butt for a face. Mostly at the rooftop pool my hotel had

Nky7mX9.jpg

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    Wimble, I like that first picture a lot.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    wimble,
    thank you for posting that good vacation post in this thread

all the best,
    crwth

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    woo you are both very kind and have made me happy!

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    hi tito

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    zay you took way more pictures than me maybe show off some if you feel like it this is my gentle push

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Zay wrote: »
    hi tito

hey man where are your vacation pics

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    What the paltry US vacation allowance, all of my vacation time (which is like, 6 days a year with my current company...) goes on visiting my family in the UK.

I simply cannot justify going to see my family every year. It is such a huge amount of money and such a cripplingly long flight. The last two times we've been my parents have paid for our flights.

• Options
    hi tito

i think we tweeted all the good ones and last time you yelled at me for tweeting a picture that i hadnt even tweeted before....

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    hi tito

i think we tweeted all the good ones and last time you yelled at me for tweeting a picture that i hadnt even tweeted before....
    now...cmon i didn’t yell at you, that isn’t fair

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    @Zay @Wimble what was the best ramen

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    I didn't have ramen even once this time, actually! As the saying goes, "why have ramen when you can have japanese curry"

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    i think i only had actual ramen once but i learned i dont know what qualifies as ramen vs some other thing anymore maybe i had tons of ramen this question is too hard to answer

the best place we ate at imo was the mystery food in the murder hole

we tried to find a place that apparently didn't exist anymore and some japanese guy who tried to help us / i guess was also just working for the mystery hole led us down into the mystery hole, which was a traditional style place with no english or pictures on the menu. dan put in "chef recommendation" in translate on his phone to show the waiter and we ate whatever was brought out and it was good

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    @Zay @Wimble what was the best ramen

I know you didn't ask me but the best ramen is Ebi Tsukemen at Gonokami Seisakujo in Shinjuku

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    What the paltry US vacation allowance, all of my vacation time (which is like, 6 days a year with my current company...) goes on visiting my family in the UK.

I simply cannot justify going to see my family every year. It is such a huge amount of money and such a cripplingly long flight. The last two times we've been my parents have paid for our flights.

Yeah, my upcoming trip is the first time I’ve fully paid for the flights myself.

I’m aware it’s a very privileged position to take to complain about taking an international trip every 18 months, but basically it feels sometimes as if my time isn’t my own. I already feel guilty enough as it is seeing my family only once every 18 months - I wasn’t there for my grandfathers when they were dying, and I have missed two grandparents’ funerals, as well as many cousins’ weddings.

It’s also hard being in a group chat with my siblings who all have the standard 6 weeks of vacation and for whom a week trip to Europe can cost less than £1,000.

• Options
    wow six weeks of vacation

i can’t even imagine

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Personally I am extremely bad at taking vacations that aren't like, going to see family. I grew up with a significant part of my mom's family on the other side of the country, so if we had the time/money to take one vacation a year, it was going to be that.

And now that I'm an adult, even if I have the time or money to take vacations for myself, I feel super guilty about not using that time to go back home and see my folks or whatever. Vacations feel like such a rich person thing to do to me.

oh i just don't visit my family but maybe every 2-3 years

i can maybe take 2 trips a year and i ain't blowing one on them

(it's me, i'm the asshole of the family)

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    rhylith wrote: »
    I need to go on a big vacation sometime soon. I’m so stressed and need a good break.

I generally do a couple paxes a year which are nice weekend trips, but I’m talkin like 2 weeks off in some distant place I’ve never been. But I hate traveling alone so I doubt I’ll actually follow through.

I can't imagine PAX being a relaxing, stress-relieving experience. It can be fun, sure, but it's also a Lot Of Stuff.

• Options
    i’ve got family in the bay area and i wish i could see them more often, but flights from orlando to san francisco or san jose are still pretty expensive

i went last year though! one of my favorite areas to visit

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    #pipe wrote: »

Yeah, my upcoming trip is the first time I’ve fully paid for the flights myself.

I’m aware it’s a very privileged position to take to complain about taking an international trip every 18 months, but basically it feels sometimes as if my time isn’t my own. I already feel guilty enough as it is seeing my family only once every 18 months - I wasn’t there for my grandfathers when they were dying, and I have missed two grandparents’ funerals, as well as many cousins’ weddings.

It’s also hard being in a group chat with my siblings who all have the standard 6 weeks of vacation and for whom a week trip to Europe can cost less than £1,000.

My whole Christmas break was taken up with family stuff, pretty much. There's no short trips anywhere because my family live so far away. I'm lucky that vacation time isn't as much of an issue for me, but the cost still is. At my old job I got ten days a year, and basically never used it because what if someone dies?

The idea that a human being (let alone one with a family) can get by on six days off per year is fucking absurd. Getting sick once could take you out for a week.