As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Resident Evil 2]: Suffer like G did?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Do not attempt to reckon the timeline

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Supposedly the idea is that whatever one you're playing is The Main Thing That Happened, it's not supposed to be you playing the other half of the A story. If you're playing B, some other shit happened on the other path because you solved a bunch of those puzzles and fought those bosses.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Capcom's really been on a roll this year. Resident Evil 2 Remake and Devil May Cry 5 are already strong contenders for my game of the year and it's only March.

I think right now Resident Evil 2 Remake is in the lead, but that may change based on post-launch support.

Also did a fucking wizard make the RE Engine? How does it look that good and take up so little space? I don't even have long load times (on PC). It's also crazy that the entirety of the game world in RE2 (aside from the gas station prologue and the final area) are all seamlessly connected and you can run around with no loading screens and the game also remembers where you left those zombie corpses (and what state they were in). I know it's not all loaded at once and it does a lot of background loading, but the fact that you can run around such a detailed space without getting a loading screen is great.

How many enemies do you think the RE Engine could support at once? Do you think they could fix Dead Rising while they're on this roll? The first two games were some of my favorites and would love a return to form. I even was able to find some enjoyment in the third entry though they made some bad decisions there (and the story was terrible even by Dead Rising standards).

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Re engine is impressive but some of the lady models are approaching uncanny valley for me.

Nico is unsettling in a way I cant really explain. Claire gets there too when she yells

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The PS4 load times are pretty redic on DMC and it's a PRO. Cutscene->load>cutscene->load->menu->continue->load->cutscene.

• Options
    The PS4 load times are pretty redic on DMC and it's a PRO. Cutscene->load>cutscene->load->menu->continue->load->cutscene.

Its like that on my Xbone too

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Supposedly the idea is that whatever one you're playing is The Main Thing That Happened, it's not supposed to be you playing the other half of the A story. If you're playing B, some other shit happened on the other path because you solved a bunch of those puzzles and fought those bosses.

This has plainly been the answer since 1998, and I don't know why people keep refusing to accept it when it's right there.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

This has plainly been the answer since 1998, and I don't know why people keep refusing to accept it when it's right there.

no? like, A and B in the original game were different enough to justify them both happening at the same time

hell, I was operating under the idea that Claire A and Leon B was the 'canon' as far as RE2 goes until they made the remake

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I might be misremembering, but Leon and Claire met up a bunch more times like in the STARS office so there was an actual relationship there built on more than 5 minutes of interaction, and since you only met Mr X in the second scenario, it made sense that while A character is doing there thing, B character has their own villain to fight. I remember it feeling much more like a complete story.

Here it directly contradicts itself, and no matter what you still have to do that bloody orphanage segment.

And I still don't know how Annette got injured before entering the lab before that boss fight. I thought it would be explained in the B Scenario but she turns up looking the same. Goes from perfectly fine to bashed up before Birkin lays a hand on her.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    How was it? I want to do it because I get brain itch if I don't do the last couple of things, and I've been enjoying the other Ghost Survivors, but a gauntlet of a hundred zombambos sounds grueling in a way I don't know I want to engage with

It's tough! The hardest thing for me is that there are various choices you have to make and there are absolutely Right Decisions. The grenade launcher is garbage, the magnum didn't have (for me) enough ammo to be useful. I went with picking up the flash grenade, then the shotgun, then the shotgun ammo. That served me pretty well. The flash grenade I used in the Lots Of Zombies And A Plant Boy room, and I crafted a grenade to use on the G Boy right at the end (when he grabbed me). Once I got up the elevator (and the last dispenser) I had enough shotgun ammo to be pretty assertive with it.

I find this fascinating cause I chose a different option for everything for Ghost Survivor. First option was handgun, then magnum, and then magnum ammo. Obliterate most zombies shins with the sub machine gun, kill the licker with a knife, make some smg and handgun ammo but save one yellow and one white gundpowdee to make a grenade, use grenade in the ivy and zombie hallway with the elevator, use the pistol and magnum to kill the zombies in the room above the elevator (magnum to head pop a couple of the armored zombies), make another grenade, use the grenade with the room where Mr. X shows up, shoot Mr. X in the head with the magnum, grab some gunpowder to make another grenade, obliterate some more shins, and use the magnum to shoot G-Adult in the beefy shoulder to explode it and stun him. Then run past and done.

• Options
    That sounds condescending, which was not my intent, looking back on it. I'm sorry.

• Options
    Ghost is the meanest 4th survivor. You're almost out and then Bam Mr.X. and those fucking doors

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Two magnum rounds will force Mr. X into a kneel! If you hit him in the face, that is.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Two magnum rounds will force Mr. X into a kneel! If you hit him in the face, that is.

Yeah but if you wing his hat its all over

• Options
    Ghost is the meanest 4th survivor. You're almost out and then Bam Mr.X. and those fucking doors

I was so pissed when that happened the first time. Also very amused cause I just turned around to get fucking decked (and killed) by him.

• Options
    Ghost was a fun 4th survivor.

The real pickle is going to be that sheriff. Dunno if I want to do that'un

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

Apparently all the waves and weapon drops are set so a good guide can get you through it and unlock the infinite ammo accessory

• Options
    I think that Hunk is my favorite of the extra modes, still. Sure, he's probably the easiest, but his gauntlet is enormous compared to everyone else and it feels nice to be reasonably equipped

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Getting through Leon B is taking just so fuckin long, like none of the shit in this game works any less on me than it did when I first picked it up and Mr Xs big fuckin boots won't let me think straight goddamnit

So where's that detonator at anyways

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Detonator's in the room at the end of the west hallway when you enter from that hallway. Use the bolt cutters on the door instead of jumping through the window

You can discard the bolt cutters afterward

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Ah very good

• Options
    edited March 2019
    I have become the thing I most fear: a guy who knows how to get through a game without consulting a guide or even really thinking about it

Cut the door, ditch the boltcutters, grab the detonator and the flash grenade off to the side, heal if you need it, unlock the door, barrel-ass your way up to the staircase, decide whether you will be going for the magnum now or later because that determines which floor you go to next

Lord, how Mama would weep if she saw me now

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    With this strategy and tactical framework in place all that remains is the execution which of course means it's time to die frightened

• Options
    Resident Evil 2 is the most frightened I've been by a game in years, but once you go through it a couple of times and try to play through 4th Survivor your relationship to the game changes so dramatically it's only possible that you, the player, are now a different person

Perhaps I was as frightened by RE4 in the days before I played the Mercenaries mode and all enemies started looking like bags of points that I could put toward unlocking the Handcannon

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I've played this game a lot and it still scares the shit out of me on the regular. Especially Mr X

• Options
    I have without question never been as stressed out and generally fucked up by any media as I have been/am by Resident Evil 2, it's like some sort of primal terror simulator I've had nightmares about being chased and approaching noises my whole life and then this mess appears

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    really the thing that hooked me about RE2 was the exploration and the puzzles, I was never really scared, even with Mr. X (it was more annoying than anything having to loop around). But I will say that there have been a few times where a regular old zombie would just be hidden enough around a corner and I would zip right into them that the game really fucking got me. Specifically there's one that hangs out in 2f outside the shower room that can meander around to places you aren't expecting.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

I was able to clear the Sheriff with Gunslinger before I was able to complete any of the others outside of Training.

I really really enjoyed it.

• Options
    So did you put on the cat ears and just burn the world in Runaway or what

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    really the thing that hooked me about RE2 was the exploration and the puzzles, I was never really scared, even with Mr. X (it was more annoying than anything having to loop around). But I will say that there have been a few times where a regular old zombie would just be hidden enough around a corner and I would zip right into them that the game really fucking got me. Specifically there's one that hangs out in 2f outside the shower room that can meander around to places you aren't expecting.

The puzzles being dumbed down is probably the most unfortunate gameplay aspect of the remake, but it may also be that I'm just mentally hyping the puzzles in the original too much.

• Options

From that range you can take him out with a single shotgun shell too.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »

The puzzles being dumbed down is probably the most unfortunate gameplay aspect of the remake, but it may also be that I'm just mentally hyping the puzzles in the original too much.

there was, what, a pushable statue puzzle? and the box bridge? I guess the library in the remake sorta covers the latter

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    As a baby once said "Resident Evil puzzles are for babies."

• Options
    a baby zombie game for babies

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    As a baby once said "Resident Evil puzzles are for babies. Uh oh. Oh shit."

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    As a baby once said "Resident Evil puzzles are for babies."

"oh no"

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    there should have been at least one puzzle where you gotta solve it while you can hear/see Mr. X clomping down a catwalk toward you

and it's a Tower of Hanoi

edit: ideally he reaches you pretty quickly, so it turns into a like, Edge of Tomorrow Live, Die, Repeat where eventually you load in and pow pow pow pow puzzle solved instantly and maybe something falls onto the catwalk and "crushes" Mr. X so you get another "damnit, you again?" when he inevitably shows up later

Depressperado on
  • Options

I did not know this!

I wonder if it would work for Hunk or Leon, too. Mr. X has more health in 4th survivor, I think it takes 3 magnum rounds to put him down there, so maybe two shotgun shells? But that'd be a great shell spend! Heck that'd be a good shell spend for Leon if you just need a minute to breathe

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    So did you put on the cat ears and just burn the world in Runaway or what

Oh absolutely.

I ran right up to the bus and got them all.

• Options

I did not know this!

I wonder if it would work for Hunk or Leon, too. Mr. X has more health in 4th survivor, I think it takes 3 magnum rounds to put him down there, so maybe two shotgun shells? But that'd be a great shell spend! Heck that'd be a good shell spend for Leon if you just need a minute to breathe

I was pretty pleased when it happened! It puts him down for long enough for you to cheerfully dick around and wait for the doors to open.