Options

[Auto Chess] Drodo's Auto Chess, Dota Underlords, and Teamfight Tactics!

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    OK there is something I am just not getting evidently. I had what I thought was a great knight combo with a level 2 human dragon knight, 2 human knights, a level 2 undead knight, a level 2 undead ranger, along with a level 2 doom warrior and something else. I was getting thrashed. I had other damage pieces level 2 undead mage I beliebe. I was getting killed and went out in last. I had a gold advantage most of the game, was ahead or on curve on levels, and had decent items I thought.

I've tried lots of combos, tried forcing things and just went with what I'm given. Warrior and mages, goblins, I just get wrecked.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Was this in the dota mod? If so i'll try to explain how knights and assassin work as comp and their pitfalls. The game gas a ton of traps, but i dont play other comps enough to explain them properly.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Knights are pretty lackluster in the Underlords version. The knights have to be adjacent to each other to get the defense bonus
    Also, hunters are pretty OP

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    I'm playing the mod. Valves is still in closed beta right? Might just be done with it, was fun to try out. Riots comes out in a few weeks and I have an idea what it is. Fun little game.

• Options
    Well, been crazy busy today with work and preparing for a seminar tomorrow, might do an effortpost tomorrow anyway. This game does have a lot of hidden depth, a lot of it related to unit choices. Some units are way stronger than others and make certain comps work, dragon knight is terrible unless you have 3 knights for example.

• Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Well, been crazy busy today with work and preparing for a seminar tomorrow, might do an effortpost tomorrow anyway. This game does have a lot of hidden depth, a lot of it related to unit choices. Some units are way stronger than others and make certain comps work, dragon knight is terrible unless you have 3 knights for example.

Ya not sure I'm wanting to put in the effort as when riots version comes out I'll probably never play this again. I'm not a Dota player. Hated all stars prefered the RoC orifinal version and play league. Might play a few more games but I figure everybody just knows stuff I don't and I'm behind the curve.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    honestly, all 3 versions of the game are just abstracted concepts of Dota. I don't think you need to have intimate knowledge of Dota to learn to play Auto Chess. I'm almost certain everyone had to learn how to play AutoChess to start, so don't be too concerned. The best part about playing a game that is still in early development is that mechanics are always changing and the meta has yet to settle, so its fun to experiment

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I want to jump into this and see what's the hype about, but I have no idea on what game I should jump into.

Maybe I'll wait for the league one.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I started the mobile today. Will probably play the Valve one once it enters Open Beta.

Won my first game which apparently wasnt ranked. Then came second twice in ranked matches.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I want to jump into this and see what's the hype about, but I have no idea on what game I should jump into.

Maybe I'll wait for the league one.

If you don't mind the jankiness of mods and already have dota2 installed, I'd highly recommend Dota Autochess (DAC)
    If you don't mind playing on mobile, I'd recommend the mobile version of DAC, which is several patches behind in content
    If you have dota battlepass, you can always try Valve's Underlords
    If you have neither of the above, you can always just watch videos of gameplay. There are tons of streamers and intro videos to all the versions. IIRC the League version requires access to the PTR servers so you might have to wait longer to try it. Also Underlords will be in open beta soon, so thats another possibility

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I believe every single option will be publicly available by the end of the month, so you shouldn't have to wait *too* long on any given one to try, if you do want to wait on one.

• Options
    I believe every single option will be publicly available by the end of the month, so you shouldn't have to wait *too* long on any given one to try, if you do want to wait on one.

Ya the league one is supposed to be out with the next patch, June 23rd or 26th I believe. And valve said there's would be public in a week or so.

I still don't get it. Played again and couldn't get any units to combine and came in last again.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Yea you do get bad games like that. Its about the time when you need to look at other people's board and see if you're picking the same units as the rest of the group. For example, if you were going to go for Druids, but there are already 2-3 people looking to grab druid units, abandon your plan for the next best option or else all 3 of you might be on the same sinking ship.

Since there are lots of new players I guess I'll write up some simple tips I tend to follow:
    - Best thing to learn as a newbie is to figure out the best times to hoard gold to economize, since you get +1 income for every 10 gold (max +5) at the end of the round and when to spend it.
    - First 10 rounds doesn't matter that much in terms of winning or losing, though its obviously better to build up a win streak. I take the time to look at other people's boards and try to avoid units that are becoming popular.
    - I tend to have fix intervals to level: 6/9/16/21/26 because they tend to lean into common powerspike timings, YMMV.
    - Do note that as you level, the chances of getting cheap units are reduced while your chance to get more expensive units increases. Use this as a gauge to determine when to reroll, depending on which units you have that you want to upgrade
    - Level 9 tends to be a good level to start rerolling because the cost of getting level 10 is pretty high and at level 9, you have decent access to stronger units. However, getting to level 10 first maybe a way out, since you can get first dibs on the 5 cost units, which are very very strong and often are game winning pieces
    - Higher cost units are better and have more utility than lower cost units but upgraded, low cost units have more stats than a single high cost unit. 2* units are often "good enough"
    - Try not to go for 3* units early on unless you are certain you can because it will clog up your bench and anything on your bench is just wasted gold
    - I like to split the board into two 4x4 squares and stick to one 4x4 board for the majority of the game, until AoE becomes an issue
    - Place tanky units like Axe and Knights towards the center of the board and ones that you want to protect away from the center
    - Units get mana in two ways: getting hit and dealing damage. Ideally you'd want a good mix to maximize ability usage and this is where positioning becomes key

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    How do you beat the freaking wolves? :(

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »

Put your tanks in the back.

• Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »

Put your tanks in the back.

Really ? Is that why they always slaughter me? Came in 7th in another game as I went knights and undead ranger, mainky because that's what I was offered. Got spanked most the time :( I am so bad at this

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    wolves have Assassin targeting logic so they jump to the backlines to attack

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Yeah wolves are the only creep wave that generally requires repositioning. Though creeps in Underlords are weaker so you're more likely to still make it through, though not always.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    a bunch of Riot's TeamFight Tactics videos are out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAgQidxEw1A
    Looks interesting. Seems like all the players get to choose what units end up in the unit pool? Or at least get a unit and a item

EDIT: Board size is 3x7
    Also looks like max courier level is 9
    No improved cosmetics on upgraded units make me sad

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    a bunch of Riot's TeamFight Tactics videos are out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAgQidxEw1A
    Looks interesting. Seems like all the players get to choose what units end up in the unit pool.

Looks pretty clean.

• Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Playing Underlords since it came out last week, got my first 1st today. Team comp was 4 troll for the bonus, 2 knights, 2 savage, 2 warlocks and 3 frontline armor bonus’. I had the warlock life steal trait and the knight bonus armor trait.

gigawatt666 on
    BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    riot's said they don't want to use skins to show unit progression because they want to leave the door open to have skins be different characters with different moves and traits

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Not sure if I agree with that sentiment, especially with an existing roster of over 100 (?) characters from League to choose from.

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    I get the thought process if you're looking longterm as to how to keep the game fresh. Since it's a drafting game you can't just add units forever, eventually the pool would get too diluted for players to be able to effectively draft. So there's a cap on how many units can be in the pool at one time. But you also want to keep things fresh and not just have the same units forever with an occasional balance patch to mix things up. You can see a lot of the groundwork for this in Dota Underlords where they present it as "These are the units and items in this season." League is looking to leave the door open for them to have very different looking seasons by putting in the foundation to use not just any character they've made, but any skin.

What's up in the air is whether we as players even want enough changes in the pool of units that we hit the point where it's useful to leave that skin door open. On that, I dunno. I'm just gonna wing it and play whichever ones I find fun and leave it at that.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I could see specific skin lines/universes being specific seasons in Teamfight Tactics.

Like, there could be a Star Guardian season, Three Kingdoms, etc.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Kripp explains TFT better in this video: I'm excited to try, hope it comes out soon

urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    Tomorrow on pbe, I heard

• Options
    Wish I had a PBE account, this looks really polished and fun. I've gotten better at Auto Chess, realized some mistakes I was making.

• Options
  • Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

c'mon lads if you're in, be a bro

Also looking for a key if anyone has a spare.

Cyrenic on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    here we go fast 3 63F26-MCK8V-3QDLJ
    63F2P-M85AI-AA3MW
    63F2T-B9979-3BA3R enjoy whomever gets em' :)

gigawatt666 on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Might be better to use https://www.steamgifts.com/ or DMs to put codes in, not inclined to post it in the wild
    I guess its about time to dust off my decade old PBE account

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    Honor Level 3 to access PBE. LoL i gotta play some League ><

• Options
    Took the first code giawatt posted, the other two were taken.

Thanks!

• Options
    BaskeBaske Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Boo, missed the codes.
    Will TFT have a mobile version coming out also? I've heard rumors that underlords is going to have a mobile client and autochess already has one.

Baske on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Baske wrote: »
    Boo, missed the codes.
    Will TFT have a mobile version coming out also? I've heard rumors that underlords is going to have a mobile client and autochess already has one.

Underlords on mobile isn't a rumor, it's part of the announcement.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    @Cyrenic and @Peewi check your pms

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I'm going to be streaming TFT for a while but it looks like I have to defeat the queue boss first. Gonna check back in 40~ minutes

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    So is this going to be a general auto chess thread or mainly DoTA auto chess? Seems like there's going to be a couple soon.

Playing aram games trying to get to honor level 3 to try TFT out. Not sure when I hit checkpoint 2. A few weeks ago I believe. Really looking forward to playing it. Enjoying auto chess but it's a little rough. Where TFT looks so polished and I know the champions.

• Options
    There really isn't a critical mass yet to split the thread. Maybe when one of them goes to market

urquanlord88.png