Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Dota Auto Chess] Come play this fantastic twist on tower defense!

13»

Posts

  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I always seem to lose hard in my first couple of games of a night, then win hard in the next couple.

    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I've had some pretty lousy luck (and play too, don't get that wrong. my play was awful) today, tanking back down to bishop-6 after peaking at just a few MMR under rook-1.

  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    this was the most absolute rude horseshit i've ever gotten
    kaujftW.jpg

    i didn't lose a single round once i got the troll warlord, and had been saving attack accessories but then got lucky even on top of that in the late game. it was honestly just insane.

    aeNqQM9.jpg
    UrQuanLord88KoopahTroopah
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Lol, Mjollnir on Troll? Yeah, that's a GG.

    ?username=KoopahTroopah&theme=light

    Steam - Battle.net - Koopah089 - PSN/Xbox - 1639-6388-9968/KoopahTroopah - Switch
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So I think the part of this game where I am struggling is what to do if the RNG fucks with me. 8 guys on the field is all well and good but if most of them are 1* I’m still going to lose.

    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    Stabbity StyleUrQuanLord88
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I'm still struggling at that myself because there's a LOT to it, but I am aiming to improve by being more perceptive of what the other players are buying. If I can retain better knowledge on which chess pieces are removed from the pool, I have a better understanding of the odds at any given strategy to come together. From there, it's just on me to make high percentage plays and hope that the dice fall my way. I currently spend most of my time looking at my own board, which means I'm not getting information about what pieces the next shop roll is more likely to produce.

  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Problem with that is mostly in the s tier stuff like razor and shadow fiend where everyone is on the hunt in the midgame. Knowing what to do to respond to that is what I need to improve on.

    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    I think I'm done with Auto Chess. There's just too much RNG to the point where it's making it not fun. Like, I checked all my opponents and they for sure didn't have any of the stuff I needed and I still couldn't find any of the stuff I was looking for. I do kind of want to take a crack at making something similar myself with less RNG, though. I think there's a kernel of a cool thing there, but what's there has too many problems as is.

    SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i just had a game where i got matched up with the guy who hadn't lost a round 4 out of 5 rounds when there were still 6 people left.

    that was extremely painful, shot a gaping hole in my healthbar that slowly got whittled down. no real chance at winning, but i think i had a chance to podium.

    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    I rolled 50 gold for my last dragon knight when someone else had just one and i didn't find any :(

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
    Stabbity StyleKoopahTroopahKnight_
  • StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    I made the mistake of thinking this would be a good way to relax after a frustrating day at work, instead I tanked my rating from Knight-8 to Knight-2 with really poor play and bad decision making. Took a break and watch some TV and came back and managed two 2nd place finishes and a win to crawl back to Knight-7 at least.

  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    just was in a game with 1 person who had 100% at round 30 and the remaining 3 of us all with 10% and basically entire ranking was determined by who got matched up with them.

    was a shame because i was only a puck from finishing dragon and mage synergy for a huge number of turns. nobody else was building it either and i didn't get a single one the entire game. rngesus plz.

    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited February 13
    Ended my night with Troll/Knight team. Finally vindicated D:

    I think my latest string of losses are mostly because I failed to see what units are in the pool and waited for the wrong ones

    UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i never know when to abandon my synergies and transition to $5 units. like, ok i got this lich, but what is it really doing for me? doesn't seem like much.

    or i'll get a gyro and sometimes it feels like the most powerful unit in the game and other times it just takes an hour to generate mana and falls over after the fight is lost. not sure.

    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Lich and gyro are difficult ones. For lich I will usually put him in if I have useless synergies on weak characters or switch him in for whoever is giving me the undead or mage bonus. Gyro/techies I will usually swap him in for out of date synergies/weak characters. By out of date/useless I mean like warrior or gobo synergy end game.

    Tidehunter, void warlock guy are usually try and squeeze in no matter what.

    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    As KafkaAU said, 5* units are usually there to fill or replace weak early game units. Tide and techies are rather tanky and all of them provide some sort of AoE damage or CC.

    Enigma (Element/Warlock) - Perhaps the best AoE in the game because Enigma's ability does % damage of hp, provided it hits of course. A must have against tanky comps like 6 Warriors or 6 Knights. Like the Lich, should to be in the backlines because he's squishy but needs to take a little AoE damage at least to generate mana to get the his ability off before dying. 2* is a godsend. Warlock synergy is a plus.
    Gyrocopter (Dwarf/Mech) - I typically put gyrocopter in the opposite corner, away from my main cluster of units to bait spells and assassins so that they gyro can get some energy for his ability. Pretty decent late game AoE and pair him with Techies
    Lich (Undead/Mage) - Easy source of late game Undead synergy but Lich 1* is squishy. Chain frost slows attack speed and is a targeted spell that simply can't miss. Best advice is to field this piece for the synergy or wait till 2*
    Techies (Goblin/Mech) - Despite being ranged, this chess piece is actually pretty tanky and is more valued for their abilities' AoE damage. As such, they should be in the frontlines or pretty close to trigger set off their bomb ability quickly.
    Tidehunter (Naga/Hunter) - Frontliner that has an AoE CC ability. Not much to say except that Tidehunter is almost a instant buy because of his ability and being a piece of the Naga synergy.

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    heh just had a game end where the last 3 of us were <10%, and i'm pretty sure we all would lose to one person and win against the other. somehow it worked out that i got 2nd even though i lost the round because i guess the other 3rd place person lost more, and the person who won i beat the previous round without losing more than 2 pieces.

    never seen a game that close at the end for the entire top 3. was nuts. i had dropped to 4% with 6 people still in and managed to somehow hold it together which felt good.

    Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
    UrQuanLord88
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    heh just had a game end where the last 3 of us were <10%, and i'm pretty sure we all would lose to one person and win against the other. somehow it worked out that i got 2nd even though i lost the round because i guess the other 3rd place person lost more, and the person who won i beat the previous round without losing more than 2 pieces.

    never seen a game that close at the end for the entire top 3. was nuts. i had dropped to 4% with 6 people still in and managed to somehow hold it together which felt good.

    Think it matters who went out first. So if you survived longer, you got 2nd.

    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    heh just had a game end where the last 3 of us were <10%, and i'm pretty sure we all would lose to one person and win against the other. somehow it worked out that i got 2nd even though i lost the round because i guess the other 3rd place person lost more, and the person who won i beat the previous round without losing more than 2 pieces.

    never seen a game that close at the end for the entire top 3. was nuts. i had dropped to 4% with 6 people still in and managed to somehow hold it together which felt good.

    Think it matters who went out first. So if you survived longer, you got 2nd.

    yep, finish order is entirely based on time of death; for that reason if you're about to die but think someone else is also about to die, it's optimal to move to a far corner of your island so you take damage as late as possible

  • StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    had a few good games today and one more win. I wonder what the long term looks like for this game, it seems to be continuing to do solid numbers and I imagine they are doing alright selling candies at least for the moment. Also has anyone else run into an issue where you cant select a unit off your bench, like you hover over them and its like the unit is not actually there.

  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    just lost from 50 hp in 3 turns because with 6 people left i got matched against the top guy who had a ridiculous setup 3 turns in a row. 2nd to 5th in 3 turns, fuck :/

    item and matchmaking rng feel so terrible

    aeNqQM9.jpg
    Stabbity Style
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited February 15
    New Patch, unofficial notes:
    -Player health bars reflect team colour
    -Blink dagger added: "Blink to the farthest available grid on this column".
    -Human synergy 3s disarm --> 4s silence Humans silence instead of disarm now
    -Troll synergy 35/35 --> 35/30
    -Elemental synergy stoneform 3s --> 4s
    -Terrorblade base attack +5
    -Crystal maiden aura correctly applies to all units
    -Shadow fiend removed passive attack bonus
    -Fixed the bug where units sink into the ground
    -Fixed the bug where units are not retreived when the board has 30+ units
    -Fixed the bug where dead players can still buy units

    At least SF was nerfed.

    Also, I keep forgetting to sell my 3* Tree and my 3* Enchantress towards the end game. Pretty sure that cost me a game.

    UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
    KoopahTroopah
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Human change is interesting.

    Curious to see if CM is viable too now that her only thing actually works lol.

    aeNqQM9.jpg
    KoopahTroopah
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    SF nerf, thank Gaben. Hope that knocks him down a few pegs. SF was insane.

    ?username=KoopahTroopah&theme=light

    Steam - Battle.net - Koopah089 - PSN/Xbox - 1639-6388-9968/KoopahTroopah - Switch
    Knight_
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    ah apparently the human change is just a gigantic nerf because in autochess units wouldn't cast their ult while disarmed.

    that's unfortunate, i didn't feel like humans were particularly powerful.

    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited February 16
    Troll/Knight/Warlock is pretty easy to achieve!
    Same with Druid/Elf/Beast

    I tried to give my 2* Enigma a Blink dagger with Elemental trait which seemed prudent but got instantly silenced by KotL :(

    UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    hm. pretty sure i just lost a game because of the lich orb bounces between pieces on your bench bug.

    was winning very, very hard on my board but the other guy was winning on his too, but less. i was way behind from a couple earlier rounds in the 1 on 1 where he was crushing me hard before i rolled a couple important pieces. instead of pulling him down so i had a shot at winning before i lost to trolls, he kept treading water until i eventually lost to trolls by 1 unit. bummer.

    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Found a reddit post that might help with evaluating some of the tribals

    The basic of how bonus work in this game is that each bonus tier provide a separate buff, which works independently from each other. This is evident by look at your unit on combat. There are buff icons on each unit. In the case of warrior (or any bonus), if you have 6 warriors, you will see 2 buff icons on a warrior.

    On this basic, the following bonus are additive (stacks by adding numerical value): Beast, Orc, Undead, Hunter, Mech, Warrior, Warlock

    Naga and Mage: The magic resistance stacks differently. Each buff or debuff acts as an amplification modifier, and thus they stack in a multiplicative manner. How it work: a debuff of -40% magic resist acts as a x1.4 modifier to magic damage received. A buff of 20% magic resist acts as a x0.8 modifier to magic damage received.
    With 2 Mage bonus, affected unit take 100% * 1.4*1.4 = 196% normal magic damage received
    With 2 Naga bonus, affected unit take 100% * 0.8*0.6 = 48% normal magic damage received
    With 1 Mage bonus and 1 Naga bonus, affected unit take 100% * 1.4*0.8 = 112% normal magic damage received

    Probabilistic bonus (change to trigger): Each instance of the bonus work independently from each other, so they follow the probability distribution of events. There are some neat mathematics stuff involved, so I will try to stay away from the calculations.

    Knight: The mechanic for shield triggering is not when the knight attacked as stated by the tooltips. Rather, it checks every 3 seconds for a chance to get triggered. The shield gains 30 armor and an instance of 75% magic resist for 3 seconds. When 2 knight buff trigger at same times, the knight actually gains 2 shields (60 armor, 94.75% magic resist). Using the latest values (30, 30, 30), I calculate the following distribution:
    2 Knight: 1 shield: 30%, 0 shield: 70%
    4 Knight: 2 shield: 9%, 1 shield: 42%, 0 shield: 49%
    6 Knight: 3 shield: 2.7%, 2 shield: 18.9%, 1 shield: 44.1%, 0 shield: 34.3%

    Remark: The improvement from 1 shield to 2/3 shield is not very significant. So you are most interested in the percentage chance of being affected by at least 1 shield, which is 30%, 51%, 65.7%

    Assassin: By DotA 2 mechanics, when 2 crit are triggered on the same attack (from 2 or more sources of critical strikes), the one with the highest modifier take effect over the other crits. Calculated similar to knight, the distribution for 6 Assassin is 8% x3.5, 20% x4.5, 72% no crit.

    Elf: Similar to Knight, except when 2 miss chance occur, it is simply counted as a miss attack. So we can have a simpler explanation: Assume your elf has 100% chance to get hit. The first bonus reduce this by 25%, so your elf now has 100% * (1 - 25%) = 75% chance to get hit (25% miss chance). With the second bonus, the current chance to get hit are reduced by 25%, so the new chance to hit is 75% * (1 - 25%) = 56.25% chance to get hit (43.75% miss chance).

    Human: Can be calculated similar to Elf. Using the value (20, 25, 30), the equivalent chance is 20%, 40%, 58%

    Other bonus:

    Troll: At 4 Trolls, trolls receive 2 buffs, non-trolls receive 1 buff

    Goblin: At 6 Goblins, all goblins receive the buff, then 1 random unit from all units (goblin or non-goblin) receive the buff. (This means a goblin may receive double buffs)

    Elemental: At 4 Elementals, elemental receive 2 buffs (equivalent to 51% chance), non-elemental receive 1 buff.

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    2x 2* Techies is a very silly thing. I actually got 2 more as well, one away from a 3* techies. Pretty much every round was pure rng, i'd win by 8, lose by 8, rngesus take the wheel!

    Did end up coming in first over 2 bishops though, was nice.

    aeNqQM9.jpg
    UrQuanLord88KoopahTroopah
  • StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    took a few days away from the game to play Anthem with some friends over the weekend. Honestly, even having a good time in Anthem I was tempted more then once to bail and boot up auto chess. Came back today to two real good games and clawing my way back to Knight-8.

  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Video from last week from BSJ explaining some fundamentals of autochess:



    It's recorded 2/7 so some of the patch details might not be totally up to date but the video is focused on improving your play in a very general sense.

    Stationary
  • StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    I watched the positioning one he put up as well and found it super helpful.

  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited February 20
    Yeah I do agree with what he says in the positioning video. I tend to split the board into 2 4x4 squares and start the game playing mostly in one of those squares then spreading out when AoE becomes more common. That way, I can sort of keep my weaker ranged units in a corner while placing some other expandable unit between them and a free space vs assassins

    EDIT:
    Now TB swaps his hp with highest hp ally when using his ability. Probably not such a great idea since TB usually kills anything that is near him and relys on tanks to mitigate further damage. Further pigeonholes him as a 'selfish' unit.
    EDITEDIT:
    I really hate 6 Elf teams when I go Trolls. Usually it'll be when I go Troll/Knight and the majority of my damage comes from auto attacks. Luckily I was super far ahead of my last opponent and just rolled the usual gaggle of high cost units (Tide/Medusa/Disrupter) but man, losing a couple of rounds to 2k crits of PA sucks a lot.

    UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. Registered User regular
    i put a refresher orb on doom yesterday and that was funny

    7UVunkN.jpg
  • StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    I decided to play a game when I woke up before I had to start getting stuff done around the house. Started ok getting a lvl 2 Ogre Magi on round 3 and then a level 2 Shadow Shaman the next round. Mid game got a little dicey as I never really had any specific lineup going for me and was just kind of relying on not losing too bad while I built up an economy and could start getting a bit of a level advantage. Finnaly started to turn it around late game with some lucky rolls and and some good positioning to deal with a bunch of assassins.
    Im happy with the second place finish but YO ALSO I HIT BISHOP-1 IT WAS A GOOD MORNING.gOQY5Ur.png

13»
Sign In or Register to comment.