As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] April showers bring May Birthdays

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    TeeMan wrote: »
    XIII is better than NOLF

Attention got.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I am thoroughly enjoying Hand of Fate. It pushes so many of my buttons. I recognize that the game is considerably flawed in certain aspects, but holy shit, just, wow. The aesthetics of the card game, the deckbuilding, the RPG elements, those are all great. But then the combat is the Batman dance-fight system?!? (albeit an admittedly poor-man's version of it)

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I am thoroughly enjoying Hand of Fate. It pushes so many of my buttons. I recognize that the game is considerably flawed in certain aspects, but holy shit, just, wow. The aesthetics of the card game, the deckbuilding, the RPG elements, those are all great. But then the combat is the Batman dance-fight system?!? (albeit an admittedly poor-man's version of it)

And Hand of Fate 2 ended up better in almost every way, so you have that to look forward to.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Cell shading is awful and games should just not.

There, I said it.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    Donnicton wrote: »

And Hand of Fate 2 ended up better in almost every way, so you have that to look forward to.

There's a....sequel....?!?

Wishlisted. Holy fuck.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

There, I said it.

21aqbc.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

There, I said it.

Agreed, however, Cel Shading is ok if done correctly ;)

steam_sig.png
    I guess I've just never seen it done correctly then. :wink:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Cel Damage is probably the game I've loved most that used Cel Shading.

steam_sig.png
    Someone here posted a game that was basically Warcraft 3 but with more dudes, and it had a caveman theme to it?

Can't find that post to save my life, what was that game?

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Donnicton wrote: »

There's a....sequel....?!?

Wishlisted. Holy fuck.

*huff puff* I came as soon as I heard Hand of Fate.

Pulling up an old mini review for 2.
    The bad:
    -combat can still be a bit wonky and isn't quite as smooth as comparable Assassin's Creed or Batman Arkham games. However, I think in part this is due to Hand of Fate not needing you to be totally action oriented all the time (the hit counter is slow to reset except when you get hit) so it encourages more defensive play, except in timed battles. Still there are times where an attack hits when it might shouldn't have or a bugged situation, or iframes on the weapon skill not working as intended.

The mixed:
    -the character creation isn't that in depth, but let's you make a male or female protagonist that you can change any time during the course of the campaign by returning to the campfire. Not a huge thing, but compared to the first game that locked you into a male protagonist with one look it is a step up.

The good:
    -Do you like board games? Do you like varying degrees of random chance in your board games? Well HoF 2 has 4 games of chance up from the originals 1. You still have the card shuffle, but now also the card wheel, dice, and pendulum. You'll still cry bullshit at times, but all games can be mastered in some way (watching the cards in the shuffle, calculating where the wheel will land, pendulum is almost all skill). If not, then stack blessings and equipment to tip luck in your favor.
    -The Setting: Taking place in a carriage as you travel towards the capital, the Dealer will play out various challenges for you to face. Perhaps you are hunting down relics in the wilderness or helping innocents out of a town riddle by plague. Each challenge adds its own cards to the deck of cards used to construct the adventure giving it a roguelike appearance though you know thereabouts exactly what can happen, but not necessarily in the right order. Completing a challenge adds more cards, which if they have tokens may unlock additional ones letting you explore mini-stories or your various companions' stories while performing a challenge.
    -The Dealer: once again the Dealer from the first game plays central stage as he speaks of your journey, the stakes and the challenges you face. He'll be a font of wisdom, a sharp wit to mock your misfortune, or congratulate your successes. He is your constant companion, and while there is always some amount of animosity between you two, he does want you to succeed.
    -Length: There are 22 challenges and their length and I'm about 2/3rds through at 14 hours played, so depending on completion rate it will probably be a 17-20 hour game for the challenges. Course some challenges have optional objectives to gain their gold level completion leading to retries though often you need cards from the silver challenge completion to help achieve the gold. I was never locked into a single challenge however so if I found one challenge too difficult I could come back to it later. Also it let's you save and quit out of a challenge at any point so you don't have to finish it in one sitting.

That's what I can think off the top of my head. Try it out, though I'd say if like Bastion/Transistor the narrator/Dealer doesn't suit you then you may not enjoy it nearly as much.

Karoz on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Cel Shading is okay. The problem was that everybody started flooding the market with the new gimmick. Some games are better served by it. Most aren't.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I think we should inject a generic cel shading shader into pixie's gpu drivers so she can experience the glory of cel shading 24/7.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    For example, Dragonball FighterZ is cel shaded.

Even if you don't like fighting games as a genre you can't tell me that doesn't look good.

steam_sig.png
    I'll admit that I hate cel shading quite a bit, but I can't imagine liking games like Borderlands being nearly as interesting without it.

Also almost all of the DBZ fighting games have cel shading and they'd be stupid to not have it.

I guess I've just never seen it done correctly then. :wink:

Here's a few examples of how amazing cel shading can look when done right:

zpm59llr9w81zefylqqk.png
    princess-zelda-sheikah-slate-041917.jpg
    0a7ced46661300367fe9ec6721ef6d0b_borderlands-2-game-of-the-year-edition.jpg
    viewtiful-corner-turn-03f63.jpg
    483540-transformers-devastation-for-pc.jpg?thumb=y&width=980&height=410
    Wind_Waker_HD.jpg

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Florin wrote: »
    Well here's a title I didn't expect to see getting a remake/remaster: XIII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1acwn93JcI

Trailer says PS4, but apparently it's for PC as well, like the original was. It was an adaptation of a Belgian comic book, rendered as a highly stylised cell-shaded FPS, and this was back in 2003 when cell-shading was much less ubiquitous than it is now. It also had David Duchovny sleep-walking through his performance as the central character, balanced out by Adam freaking West as an army general. Another thing it had was a frustratingly unsatisfying cliff-hanger ending, which I don't expect to get much better here.

Oh wow, I played it only a few months ago, I guess I should have waited. The game is clunky here and there but it's fun, it has everything you'd want in fps spy game.

I played XIII back in college. Fantastic game! Although I feel like it teed itself up for a sequel that never came, which was a bummer.

I played it on the OXbox. I remember not being totally enamored. It's been a while, but from what I recall:

- It starts off with inventive, narrative-driven gameplay, but by halfway through the game, it's a slog of getting from point A to B and gamely murdering dozens and dozens of goons on the way. Kind of like Outlaws and Mafia in this regard.
    - After murdering many, many goons, the final fight is a boss with a giant bullet-spongey health bar. I hate that.
    - You know who the traitor is 2 seconds after talking to him, but it's not revealed until the very end of the game. I think it was that cliffhanger mentioned above. My brother and I were referring to him as "traitor" through the whole game, and I thought for sure it was going to be one of those games where the main character has figured out what's up, but nope.

Every time I play a Borderlands game I can't help but think how much better it would have been with normal 3d shading.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Someone here posted a game that was basically Warcraft 3 but with more dudes, and it had a caveman theme to it?

Dawn of Man?

Conan Unconquered?

Not really the Warcraft 3 art style though.

Karoz wrote: »

Dawn of Man?

Conan Unconquered?

No, neither of those, sorry. :(

Every time I play a Borderlands game I can't help but think how much better it would have been with normal 3d shading.

I don't think a graphical overhaul would have made the game better or worse from a gameplay standpoint. At the time, FPS games were all going for the gritty, overly-realistic look (CoD, BF) or super-shiny futuristic look (Halo). Borderlands actually popped hard with the cel shaded look. Probably one of the bigger reason it sold as well as it did....well, that and LOOT!

But at the end of the day, graphics are almost always a personal choice. But from what I've inferred from this conversation is that you need a lot more cel shaded games in your library. :wink:

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

https://youtu.be/ztAd70Ol91U

I won't presume to speak for everyone but that looks demonstrably worse than what they came up with.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Into The Breach is $10 over at GOG. I think I may finally grab it with that sale.

........I should play more FTL.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I won't presume to speak for everyone but that looks demonstrably worse than what they came up with.

There are good reasons they dropped the more realistic style even after considerable work had been done on it.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    Of course everything is subjective and if you don't like the look you don't like the look. But they did try a somewhat traditional shading and coloring and it looked drab and dull and kinda boring. I think it was the correct decision to try and make their own style instead.

Yeah, I've seen that video. They were on the right track. Then they went and weirded it up instead. :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Well Borderlands is pretty weird, so.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    the change to cell shading literally saved the game during development and also made it stand out in the crowded market.
    Wishing them to have kept the old style is a very rare objectively wrong aesthetic opinion.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Florin wrote: »
    Well here's a title I didn't expect to see getting a remake/remaster: XIII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1acwn93JcI

Trailer says PS4, but apparently it's for PC as well, like the original was. It was an adaptation of a Belgian comic book, rendered as a highly stylised cell-shaded FPS, and this was back in 2003 when cell-shading was much less ubiquitous than it is now. It also had David Duchovny sleep-walking through his performance as the central character, balanced out by Adam freaking West as an army general. Another thing it had was a frustratingly unsatisfying cliff-hanger ending, which I don't expect to get much better here.

Oh wow, I played it only a few months ago, I guess I should have waited. The game is clunky here and there but it's fun, it has everything you'd want in fps spy game.

I played XIII back in college. Fantastic game! Although I feel like it teed itself up for a sequel that never came, which was a bummer.

I played it on the OXbox. I remember not being totally enamored. It's been a while, but from what I recall:

- It starts off with inventive, narrative-driven gameplay, but by halfway through the game, it's a slog of getting from point A to B and gamely murdering dozens and dozens of goons on the way. Kind of like Outlaws and Mafia in this regard.
    - After murdering many, many goons, the final fight is a boss with a giant bullet-spongey health bar. I hate that.
    - You know who the traitor is 2 seconds after talking to him, but it's not revealed until the very end of the game. I think it was that cliffhanger mentioned above. My brother and I were referring to him as "traitor" through the whole game, and I thought for sure it was going to be one of those games where the main character has figured out what's up, but nope.

XIII suffered from a bit of rushed development plus am IP that wasn't widely known in the US.

Karoz wrote: »

Dawn of Man?

Conan Unconquered?

No, neither of those, sorry. :(

It was Warparty!

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I'm pretty sure Borderlands actually isn't cel shaded.

cB557 on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Whether or not you're a fan of cell shading, it was the right move for them to launch the franchise just weeks ahead of Modern Warfare 2.

Remember that most gamers (and moreso people who buy for gamers) aren't this forum. And the aesthetic of the game against MW2 would have been pretty underwhelming. A unique first visual impression would have made more consumers pay more attention, where they'd then learn about all of the differentiating factors of Borderlands vs typical shooters.

But if you just look at the box and it looks like every other shooter on the shelf, who knows?

Remember the hype build after they switched gears and released this cover on PC Gamer?
    17ivu27lor7ttjpg.jpg

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

It's technically not, although they do use the z-pass filter to make the thick outlines. They just hand drew all the textures in a western comic book style.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Of course everything is subjective and if you don't like the look you don't like the look. But they did try a somewhat traditional shading and coloring and it looked drab and dull and kinda boring. I think it was the correct decision to try and make their own style instead.

There was also that animated short film that basically looked like Borderlands from a couple years before Borderlands came out...

edited April 2019
    the change to cell shading literally saved the game during development and also made it stand out in the crowded market.
    Wishing them to have kept the old style is a very rare objectively wrong aesthetic opinion.

That's adorable. :razz:
    LD50 wrote: »

It's technically not, although they do use the z-pass filter to make the thick outlines. They just hand drew all the textures in a western comic book style.

It's mostly the thick outlines I hate, I guess, when I think about it. The coloring/shading doesn't really bother me.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

There was also that animated short film that basically looked like Borderlands from a couple years before Borderlands came out...

And before that, Scanner Darkly. I'm sure there are others, too.

But in terms of video game style, Borderlands was the first to take the field.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Kendrik wrote: »
    So, I was looking at the request list today, and Moxiboxxi requested a bunch more things. However, I just realized this user signed up on April 13th and has has had exactly ZERO posts. So, before I shut them down I wanted to find out if this was someone's friend or something? I'm totally fine giving away a bunch of stuff if they've got a connection to PA and just never actively participated but if they are some rando who joined for free stuff I'm gonna have to stop the flow. Thanks!

Interesting. I'm always curious when we see indications of the extent to which this thread is watched by non-participants. And are they 'legit' lurkers who just read the thread and haven't joined or spoken up, or are they folks out on the Internet harvesting keys and games?

Like all the [code ][ /code] codes that get taken with no acknowledgement. Where do those go? For a while it seemed to be driven by folks encountering our group-only giveaways on Steamgifts. The volume of those is way, way down, though. So I don't think that's a big driver these days.

Quick update. I spoke to @Moxiboxxi briefly and confirmed he was just a long-time lurker who got excited by the game list. :) Hopefully since he's registered, now, he'll become a responsible member of our little part of the internet. ;)

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular

That's adorable. :razz:
    LD50 wrote: »

It's mostly the thick outlines I hate, I guess, when I think about it. The coloring/shading doesn't really bother me.

I'm pretty sure there's a way to disable the outlines...I don't remember how, though.

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Kendrik wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there's a way to disable the outlines...I don't remember how, though.
    There was a tutorial in the Boderlands Wiki:
    https://borderlands.fandom.com/wiki/Borderlands_PC_Tweaks
    Disable outline shader

In WillowEngine.ini Find:

[Engine.Engine]

Change:

DefaultPostProcessName=WillowEngineMaterials.WillowScenePostProcess

To:

DefaultPostProcessName=WillowEngineMaterials.WillowScenePostProcess_cinematic
    The default location of WillowEngine.ini is Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config\

Outlines on:
    CMYRy7r.jpg

Outlines off:
    SJLTBXM.jpg

Still, not sure if it still works in the new Enhanced edition.

HiT BiT on
This discussion has been closed.