As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] April showers bring May Birthdays

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Back in the day, to keep things "fair" and "street dates" meaningful, it was not uncommon to have a game fully downloaded onto your HD but still be unable to play it, as it remained locked until brick and mortar stores would also have copies for sale.

That's still true, sort of. Just the B&M street date is less of an issue, but there's still a street/release date and encrypted preloads.

Which is why the analogy doesn't make sense. It wouldn't surprise me that people might feel privileged enough to think that pre-loading a game should also mean being able to access the game before release. But in what world would anybody be able to sell a game that could not be accessed at all?

I think it was just a product of its time; in 2004 when Steam was brand new, and people felt this thing they didn't want was being forced on them just so they could play Half-Life 2, the concept of downloading an entire long-awaited AAA game that you then couldn't play immediately was a very alien one. Mix that with the sense of privilege and entitlement that you mention, and it starts to make sense.

The notion of never being able to play the thing you downloaded is inaccurate and clearly where Tycho's tortured analogy breaks down; and naturally that's the bit Gabe latches on to. Tycho could have said that Gabe could have eventually had his sandwich when the companies said it was okay to to so, but at that point the comic itself would start to crack under the strain, I think.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Back in the day, to keep things "fair" and "street dates" meaningful, it was not uncommon to have a game fully downloaded onto your HD but still be unable to play it, as it remained locked until brick and mortar stores would also have copies for sale.

That's still true, sort of. Just the B&M street date is less of an issue, but there's still a street/release date and encrypted preloads.

Which is why the analogy doesn't make sense. It wouldn't surprise me that people might feel privileged enough to think that pre-loading a game should also mean being able to access the game before release. But in what world would anybody be able to sell a game that could not be accessed at all?

I think it was just a product of its time; in 2004 when Steam was brand new, and people felt this thing they didn't want was being forced on them just so they could play Half-Life 2, the concept of downloading an entire long-awaited AAA game that you then couldn't play immediately was a very alien one. Mix that with the sense of privilege and entitlement that you mention, and it starts to make sense.

The notion of never being able to play the thing you downloaded is inaccurate and clearly where Tycho's tortured analogy breaks down; and naturally that's the bit Gabe latches on to. Tycho could have said that Gabe could have eventually had his sandwich when the companies said it was okay to to so, but at that point the comic itself would start to crack under the strain, I think.

Games are one thing, but nobody tells me when I can or cannot eat a sandwich.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Yeah, Tycho isn't saying they'll never, uh, eat the sandwhich, just that, dispite the sandwich being "done" and delivered, people still have to wait for an arbitrary date before they can play. (Keep in mind this was before day 1 patches became the norm. Games would "go gold" a month before release, meaning they were done and the only thing left was to print copies and ship then to stores in time for launch.)

Digital distribution was still new, and so the idea that the game could be both finished AND sitting on your harddrive, ready to go, yet your still have to waitfor the store release date was a bummer and it really felt like it wad the brick and mortor stores that were responsible for preventing this highly anticipated game from coming out sooner.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Here's the thing, sandwiches are just inherently better than digital distribution services.

steam_sig.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Here's the thing, sandwiches are just inherently better than digital distribution services.

Sandwiches are beautiful.
    Sandwiches are fine.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

Sandwiches are beautiful.
    Sandwiches are fiiiiiiiine.

FTFY

GMG currently has No Man's Sky available for $24 if you're logged in.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

Yeah, Tycho isn't saying they'll never, uh, eat the sandwhich, just that, dispite the sandwich being "done" and delivered, people still have to wait for an arbitrary date before they can play. (Keep in mind this was before day 1 patches became the norm. Games would "go gold" a month before release, meaning they were done and the only thing left was to print copies and ship then to stores in time for launch.)

Digital distribution was still new, and so the idea that the game could be both finished AND sitting on your harddrive, ready to go, yet your still have to waitfor the store release date was a bummer and it really felt like it wad the brick and mortor stores that were responsible for preventing this highly anticipated game from coming out sooner.

So what I'm reading is that it really isn't an argument that ages well.

Much like sandwiches.

steam_sig.png
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    12:30 p.m., 3/26/19

That same room out in the sticks of Michigan...

The room is quiet and dark, until the door opens... and nobody's there.

Suddenly, there's a thump as someone jumps up onto the main console, which quickly hums to life... and paws start roaming over keys.

O hai hoomins!

Teh feerless leedur iz owt lookin for teh frozened cheezburgers (teh Wally-Marts iz owt). So I iz heer to put up teh noo scorez.

Gimmee a bit heer...

The clicking resumes. Suddenly, a jingle sounds from the computer, and a happy meow rings out.

Times Square, New York City, U.S.A.

Several passersby look up as the crowds watch one of the many video billboards of Times Square suddenly flicker and flash- suddenly displaying the face of a small orange tabby cat, before flickering pale blue... and then displaying some text.

eao4bzdybvwd.jpg

Some wonder just who these people are, or even what a backlog could be. It influences more than a few to go home and find a season of something to watch over pizza.

Back home, the tapping continues.

...mai mistakes. Teh hoomin got clonked on teh head bai teh fallin box frum teh skai.

vgjo84r5lh81.png

@Pixelated Pixie sent dis gaem dat lookz funs! An it helpz teh kittehs, so dat is gud-

Gotz to go. Hoomin comin. Tanks againz!

The console clicks off, and the door opens again, letting a small orange cat out before the room fades back to darkness.

(All scores good as of 12:30 p.m. EST today, the 26th.)

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Somebody needs to hack into Stabbity's Steam account and change the password so he can't play any more games. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Somebody needs to hack into Stabbity's Steam account and change the password so he can't play any more games. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I'm fairly confident that he'd just figure out the new password and log it in as another game completed.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I've been slacking past the first week, but might finish Sekiro before the challenge is done~~

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Tentacles in space? Sure, why not. I'm in...

..... So are they.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »

..... So are they.

:winky:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

More that it's an argument that was essentially settled.

Well, until Early Access and "get it a week early" became a thing.
    Much like sandwiches.

Yeah, sandwichs like hot dogs.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    https://www.humblebundle.com/games/hot-date-bundle

New Humble Bundle. Ladykiller in a Bind is in that $8.20 tier! It's really good! Everyone should get it!

Stabbity_Style.png
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular

Much like sandwiches.

A hotdog is not a sandwich.

New Humble Bundle. Ladykiller in a Bind is in that $8.20 tier! It's really good! Everyone should get it!
    Clannad

Uh... I don't think that's a game you play if you're looking to have a good time.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

...and Genital Jousting.

Yeah, I guess that is a "Hot Date."

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Clannad

Uh... I don't think that's a game you play if you're looking to have a good time.

Seems that way in a lot of ways. Heard that VN was especially long, especially heavy and not that lewd. Although at 15$ I might snatch this up considering it's still near full price on Steam.

• MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    @Pixelated Pixie also accosted me with kittens for a good claws! Thank you <3<3<3
    xujk1p4yzy1w.jpg

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

...and Genital Jousting.

Yeah, I guess that is a "Hot Date."

Humble Big "Surprise" Pixie Owns All Of These Already Bundle

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »

..... So are they.

40gx8t2hstwq.png

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Hmm, another game on my wishlist goes Epic exclusive. They got Observation as well. The next game from the folks that made Stories Untold.
    Actually it isn't on my wishlist, it may not have had a store page yet. It was on the wishlist of my heart.

akajaybay on
    edited March 2019
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »

Clannad

Seems that way in a lot of ways. Heard that VN was especially long, especially heavy and not that lewd. Although at 15$ I might snatch this up considering it's still near full price on Steam.

Clannad on its own is $50 on Steam, and it apparently has over 110 hours of content in it. There's a lot of decent stuff in this bundle...

Creature Romance is an off-the-wall dating sim where you're trying to woo a girl who's half-human half-grasshopper. Highway Blossoms is a damned fine VN all on its own. Just Deserts looks interesting, I'd give it a shot. Ladykiller, well... see Stabbity's opinion up above. Purrfect Date, well... it's a dating sim about cats. Genital Jousting, well... speaks for itself. The Devil on G-String is the voiced edition, which is $40 on its own, and looks great, and the Sunrider collection is a damned fun bundle. I will say Liberation Day's subsequent playthroughs- after the first- are where the real meat of that game is. And Clannad is one of if not the longest VN on Steam, anyways.

Trust me when I say this bundle is worth the $15.

And Pixie doesn't own all those games...

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    @Spoit is decidedly mean.
    vexcgpfm5krf.png
    fwuth564ea6k.png

Thank you. <3<3

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Much like sandwiches.

What else do you call a filling wrapped by bread product?

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

Much like sandwiches.

Pie.

steam_sig.png
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Hot dogs are garbage.

They belong in the trash.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Hot dogs and pie! The great, all-American porn!

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

Much like sandwiches.

Pie.

Hawwwwt pocket

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life

Much like sandwiches.

Pie.

Hawwwwt pocket

Hot pocket, pocket pie, dumpling, pasty, pastry pocket, pot pie, fried dough with filling, doughnut with jelly/cream/frosting, cookie, stuffed pretzel, pretzel dog, bagel dog, stuffed bagel, stuffed pizza, lava cake...

steam_sig.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Again Dandara suprises me.

Surprise, you learned the boss's mechanics when you passed through here the first time, and the traps in the region afterwards. Now dodge the buzzsaw towers.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Man I loved Streets of Rage as a kid. I'll definitely be picking that up. :)

camo_sig2.png
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Man I loved Streets of Rage as a kid. I'll definitely be picking that up. :)

Me too (on both counts). It was one of my favorites. I hope Roo is a playable char!

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Two games on your wishlist are on sale
    Bloodatonement: Hmm, let's see.
    Poly Bridge
    OneShot
    Bloodatonement: Man, why did I add OneShot to my wishlist...someone in the thread was hyping it a while back. Maybe, I should ask about it...no, one of those classy bastards will just gift it to me.

Classy bastard @McMoogle
    ng1dzbq9w4m6.jpg

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
This discussion has been closed.