Options

[Anthem], available now!

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I gave this a shot and my concern is that I didn't enjoy the actual running around and shooting bits of it. The guns had no feel to them, no punch, no recoil, nothing. I also couldn't wrap my head around the flying, at least on a keyboard. Lack of content is a problem but a problem that can eventually be fixed, like with Destiny. But since the core gameplay loop itself didn't click for me, I think I'm probably gonna stay away unless reviews are really fantastic.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I gave this a shot and my concern is that I didn't enjoy the actual running around and shooting bits of it. The guns had no feel to them, no punch, no recoil, nothing. I also couldn't wrap my head around the flying, at least on a keyboard. Lack of content is a problem but a problem that can eventually be fixed, like with Destiny. But since the core gameplay loop itself didn't click for me, I think I'm probably gonna stay away unless reviews are really fantastic.

You do get a bit more feel to it on console thanks to the rumble at least

I imagine without that you'd get a lot less punch, and I think the flying especially benefits from good use of rumble when you blast off

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    a friend of mine played this and said that the enemies are really bullet-spongy

do y'all think that's accurate?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Ehhhh kinda?

I only played on Normal and Easy and they took a few shots but not more so than the standard for the genre

The big bosses take a lot of punishment but they are meant to be take down using the combo system which does a shit ton of damage when deployed correctly

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

It is if all you do is shoot bullets.

You’re supposed to be using the combo system (which is completely unexplained in the demo) to drop the big guys quickly. My friend was playing a colossus and i was a storm and we were WRECKING the big dudes with me freezing them and him hitting them with his rail gun. The abilities are all on very short cooldowns.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    hm, interesting

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    I find after playing the demo I'm just as conflicted as when I went into it, really

The voice acting is good and it's pretty and the flying is very fun and I'm obviously a big robot fan and grouping up with friends is very easy and I appreciate the design of the city

I don't....actually enjoy the shooting much though. That might change when I get to play a character that isn't entirely shooting, since I like to play a magic user whenever I get a chance to, but I'm also having a very hard time not directly comparing all the everything either to Destiny or to other BioWare works that were also made to cater directly to me, even if that ends up being a little unfair to the game itself

The conversation system feels empty, the writing with the characters feels wonky (though maybe that's due to the demo section chosen and having the build-up prior will help?), and as much as I appreciate the level of customization available in the robot section, it doesn't really appeal to me much in comparison to Destiny. (The big appeal there being that Destiny's armour system feels like a fashion simulator/dress-up game where I can make myself look like an Eldritch Space Queen, whereas making a slightly different robot feels more...like customizing a car in a Forza game than making a Cool Space Lady.)

I mean I'll probably still get it presuming my usual Gamer Crew does, because I am generally very forgiving of a co-op experience since they often just act as an excuse to be social with friends for me, but until I hear reviews closer to the release date I don't know that a lot of those concerns are gonna be resolved

A lot of the armor piece customization is not in the game, just the painting.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

You’re supposed to be using the combo system (which is completely unexplained in the demo) to drop the big guys quickly. My friend was playing a colossus and i was a storm and we were WRECKING the big dudes with me freezing them and him hitting them with his rail gun. The abilities are all on very short cooldowns.

Enemy health definitely seems to be balanced around dropping combos, the big flamethrower tank guys can eat autocannon bullets all day, but hitting them with a combo takes off a third of their health instantly

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    They really really should’ve opened up with a tutorial mission in the demo.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    rhylith wrote: »

Yeah...Anthem is based off of Mass Effect which means that you have to mix abilities and guns to take care of enemies efficiently.

Not sure if its 1/1 like Mass Effect's system but usually you have 3 basic elements Electric, Fire, Cyro. Electric does bonus damage to shields and can spread between targets. Fire does bonus damage to armor, has a DoT effect and usually weakens armor to follow up damage. And Cyro weakens armor while slowing or freezing enemies, also you usually get a damage bonus against frozen enemies.

Then once they're "primed" (The enemy usually inflicted with the status of shocked, burning, or frozen) you can use a detonator that like causes an explosion and other effects.

Also, you have weak points too of course which usually makes you do like double damage with guns.

Its all very simple but the demo kind of just throws you in with no tutorial.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It is not 1:1 (for example, acid) and how the system works is, as you note, different. And each Javelin has a different effect when they combo

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I find after playing the demo I'm just as conflicted as when I went into it, really

The voice acting is good and it's pretty and the flying is very fun and I'm obviously a big robot fan and grouping up with friends is very easy and I appreciate the design of the city

I don't....actually enjoy the shooting much though. That might change when I get to play a character that isn't entirely shooting, since I like to play a magic user whenever I get a chance to, but I'm also having a very hard time not directly comparing all the everything either to Destiny or to other BioWare works that were also made to cater directly to me, even if that ends up being a little unfair to the game itself

The conversation system feels empty, the writing with the characters feels wonky (though maybe that's due to the demo section chosen and having the build-up prior will help?), and as much as I appreciate the level of customization available in the robot section, it doesn't really appeal to me much in comparison to Destiny. (The big appeal there being that Destiny's armour system feels like a fashion simulator/dress-up game where I can make myself look like an Eldritch Space Queen, whereas making a slightly different robot feels more...like customizing a car in a Forza game than making a Cool Space Lady.)

I mean I'll probably still get it presuming my usual Gamer Crew does, because I am generally very forgiving of a co-op experience since they often just act as an excuse to be social with friends for me, but until I hear reviews closer to the release date I don't know that a lot of those concerns are gonna be resolved

I mean, yeah, I know

But the aesthetic is different, also, and I'm not convinced I'm gonna see as much weird high fashion bullshit like I got out of my Destiny Warlock

It doesn't seem like that kind of game

I also can't customize my player character themselves and that makes it feel far more impersonal, even given how few choices you had in Destiny on that front

I don't feel as much like the Freelancer is me

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I mean, yeah, I know

But the aesthetic is different, also, and I'm not convinced I'm gonna see as much weird high fashion bullshit like I got out of my Destiny Warlock

It doesn't seem like that kind of game

I also can't customize my player character themselves and that makes it feel far more impersonal, even given how few choices you had in Destiny on that front

I don't feel as much like the Freelancer is me

That's where the store is going to be, so presumably it will get progressively weirder as time goes on.

And there will be some customization of the PC. Not to Mass Effect or Dragon Age levels, but some.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Is that...Kenneth?

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I believe player customization is in the game. That said its first person so I'm not sure how much you'll get out of it.

Also...I mean honestly, I don't really see that much difference between Destiny's warriors and Anthem's mechs aesthetically that would bar them from making crazier designs(Hell...the legs are probably the biggest difference).

There were already a few very different looking options and they can always add more.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    The game just looks kinda bland and I can't help feeling disappointed that this is what BioWare has been spending its time on.

I mean it looks to me like it's just another co-op loot treadmill where everyone runs around killing waves of enemies and shooting the glowy bits of the big monster until candy falls out. Rinse and repeat until boredom overtakes.

I don't know, maybe it'll be awesome. But I am having a really hard time mustering any enthusiasm.
    I mean it is not a Mass Effect/Dragon Age style game

They have been very clear about that since it was announced. It is a multiplayer loot driven game, not a single player narrative.

Bioware is also working on DA4 for folks who want that style of game but I think it is perfectly fine for them to try another genre as long as they are up front about it

while that's true they also spent a lot of time talking about how you are still totally getting a story focused experience still a bioware game yada yada

so if someone's being paying attention to the marketing cycle they would expect some level of story, and if someone isn't paying attention, well, they probably still expect that story because it says Bioware

focusing marketing time on the story really gave them a Damned If You Do Or Don't situation

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I played through the demo on PC and unlocked Storm this time and can see why people love it. I haven't played the Interceptor but it plays drastically differently from the Ranger or Colossus. It seems they decided to just have all the elemental attacks in one class that can even combo with itself. It's also the only class that basically never wants to touch the ground. I'd say the only problem is it's sometime hard to see when all your bullshit is going off.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I warmed to the Colossus a bit more after taking it for another whirl, but it can get kinda hairy when you're low on health. You do have your deployable shield, but the other classes can at least hide to get their barriers back while the Colossus has to storm back out there for pickups.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I warmed to the Colossus a bit more after taking it for another whirl, but it can get kinda hairy when you're low on health. You do have your deployable shield, but the other classes can at least hide to get their barriers back while the Colossus has to storm back out there for pickups.

The devs acknowledged that the demo version of the Colossus is underpowered and said it has undergone a lot of balance changes to make it feel better in the full game.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    This demo was really not the best foot forward.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

The devs acknowledged that the demo version of the Colossus is underpowered and said it has undergone a lot of balance changes to make it feel better in the full game.

I did realise that you can have the shield deployed while flying so that helps when advancing, but that's good to know.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Also having the shield out and just running around shield bashing people is not explained enough but it is damn fun.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

From the Lead Producer of the game, i’ll be honest I’m not sure about some of these bullet points(what optional missions did we get in the demo?), but they at least believe there will be plenty to do.

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    I'm hoping for a fun co-op RPG I can play with my partner and not really a destiny replacement. I'd love to have a game my friends and I could all get into again like we did before the grind got ramped up to 11 in Destiny 2, but even if it's just her and I mainlining the story for 20 hours I'd be happy

• Options
    "6 optional missions" does

Not seem like a lot

Unless he is using mission as, like, a line of quests and not an individual outing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Wait, the demo featured half of the total number of optional missions?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I saw no optional missions in the demo, I have no idea what that's about

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I saw no optional missions in the demo, I have no idea what that's about

I feel like I have to be misreading the statement but the way I am interpreting it is that the three missions we had access to in the demo comprise three of the six total optional missions featured in the final game

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    That can't be right

• Options
    If it is right, which would be insane

I have no idea why he would list that as a SELLING POINT in a couple of tweets designed to assure us that there is a lot of content

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    He clarifies later that there are 6 optional missions not tied to any significant plot lines

The 3 agent arcs are optional and apparently have multiple missions

Still

Why in the hell would you willingly point out that there are only 6 standalone optional missions and that we did half of them in the demo which lasted like 1.5-2 hours

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Yeah that seems like a silly bullet point but that’s also how I interpreted it

I’ll be buying the game though because actually playing it is pretty fun! Remains to be seen how the end game will pan out but I’m at least optimistic. I love love love destiny and put like 1000+ hours into it last year but the more diablo-style progression and loop in this game might go a long way, i think

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I think the point he was actually trying to make is that Matthias' story, which is what we experienced in the demo, is an optional arc unrelated to the Critical Path.

And since that mission sequence is also tied to the rescue of Aruna, it reveals a certain facet of how Anthem's narrative development and "content engagement" are different from that of its competitors, as a game like Destiny doesn't allow for individual players to have a truly personal Tower-space in which their available NPCs and Quest-Givers are different from another's (excepting folks who lack the current expansion/s).

• Options
    I would say having 1 extra NPC to talk to in the Fort isn't really much of a "personal experience"

Like if there are a lot of those sorts of options leading to different NPCs and cosmetic dressings in your Fort and what have you then that is rad and I would be very happy

But the way you phrase it, to me, is just a bunch of marketing buzzwords around "that lady will stand around in your Fort if you do this one mission" which isn't a very big deal to me

And if that is how every scenario of this "content engagement" goes, i.e. optional NPCs you can just talk to if you want, its gonna feel pretty hollow

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The Interceptor is like, the most fun thing I've had in a game in quite some time. Throw an acie bomb, melee that guy, run around with an acid aura aciding everything and just be a fuckin ninja.

Acid.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    my interceptor was running a like, flash in apply debuff flash out and throw shuriken to detonate and I felt like an AoE machine

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The Interceptor is like, the most fun thing I've had in a game in quite some time. Throw an acie bomb, melee that guy, run around with an acid aura aciding everything and just be a fuckin ninja.

Acid.

I managed to go the entire demo without getting acid bomb sadly. I did get acid spray though which was quite nice. Fuck yeah acid.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    But the way you phrase it, to me, is just a bunch of marketing buzzwords around "that lady will stand around in your Fort if you do this one mission" which isn't a very big deal to me

And if that is how every scenario of this "content engagement" goes, i.e. optional NPCs you can just talk to if you want, its gonna feel pretty hollow

i think that everyone they have let talk about the game from bioware doesn't know how to do so and winds up being very buzzwordy and vague

like thinking about every tweet like that i see and every presentation they've done they're just like....bad at it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

i think that everyone they have let talk about the game from bioware doesn't know how to do so and winds up being very buzzwordy and vague

like thinking about every tweet like that i see and every presentation they've done they're just like....bad at it

It's almost like this isn't the style of game they're used to making

Like they don't really know what they're doing or how to sell it

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »

It's almost like this isn't the style of game they're used to making

Like they don't really know what they're doing or how to sell it

It's almost baffling. Like, even that event in the sky they were alluding to at the end of the demo was undercut by the Twitter account trying to hype it up with a string of "bewildered" tweets.