Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Overwatch] Chinese New year is live.

RoeRoe Registered User regular
edited February 3 in Games and Technology
verwatch.jpg

Overwatch is Blizzard's first person shooter that launched in 2016 for PC PS4, and Xbox one. Overwatch launched with 21 Heroes and have added 7 since.


Since its launch, OW has been the center of attention of Esports and casuals alike. Sporting built in ranked play, players have participated in competitive leagues on many levels. On goers from across the world have watched professional tournaments take place on Blizzcon, Blizzard Entertainment's yearly convention.



Chinese New Year is live! Loot boxes now contain skins and emotes from the celebration.


Soon there will be a new map added to the game in the location Paris.



Here is the google doc for PA players.

Roe on
«13456710

Posts

  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Is the Soldier 76 thing in that video an emote or highlight animation? Please be the latter.

    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Is the Soldier 76 thing in that video an emote or highlight animation? Please be the latter.

    emote, sad to say

  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    It looks like the Chinese New Year event is the only one to rival Christmas for every character (nearly) having a special skin or two for the holiday.

    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
    KoopahTroopah
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Previously I'd suggested that they could bring Brigitte's Shield Bash back to its previous damage level, make Shield Bash the fling skill, and have Whip Shot be the stun, but only at close range. That gets you blocking the stun with barriers while forcing Brig to work a bit for the stun without any special interactions.

    Revised proposal: as above, but Whip Shot stuns at any range, though only if it headshots.

    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I think having the boop on Whip is important because the action of boop is to remove the target yet further from your proximity or deal that last smack of damage - those are things you need to be able to do from a distance. Having the stun on whip is kinda' OP - particularly if you can do it at max range - because now you can cancel ults from far outside your normal effective range. Meanwhile, your exclusively-closerange Shield Bash skill is good for... booping enemies out of your melee range. You want to have whip be the high-damage skill, and the boop skill - a stun on the end of that whip gives her a Hog hook equivalent. And there's more than enough of those.

    It would still be simple enough to execute the closerange combo, but I think if you swapped those two around it kinda' takes away from Brig's whole Reinhartian Downside - if she's not within melee range, she's no threat.

    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    miscellaneousinsanityMusicooljoshofalltrades
  • TexiKenTexiKen he's got a f*****g knife in his hand...in his mouth Registered User regular
    How about this Blizzard, you keep Bastion's shitty buffs to his gun that you so desperately want even though it will do jack all for OWL, but you remove his ult buildup on self healing.

    See, that's something simple to try, just try it.

    JVTxBEn.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Or just delete him.

    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    TexiKenBRIAN BLESSEDPailryder
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    How about this Blizzard, you keep Bastion's shitty buffs to his gun that you so desperately want even though it will do jack all for OWL, but you remove his ult buildup on self healing.

    See, that's something simple to try, just try it.

    Huh, don't think i ever noticed Bast's heal gave him ult. I'm not as observant as i once thought

    steam_sig.png
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Or just delete him.

    Eh I like fightin' Bastions.
    FANTASTICAL TALES
    of
    GOLD-SR PS4 QUICKPLAY

    No PotGs but some awesome plays and games tonight. We're defending on Volskaya - our tanks are a Ham and my brother on D.Va, and we have an Ashe, a Mercy and a Moira. After the enemy spawn opens, I duel their Junkrat on the high ground outside of spawn and win, but as I land on the ground their Ashe bodies me with a scoped shot. I'm feelin' cocky, so I go for the duel and she wrecks me.

    I come back from spawn, peek the choke and ding walk right into her crosshairs at point blank range. But I don't think much of it. We lose point A to her Bob and a scattered defense, and I call our Mercy back to B to group up when she tries to solo-rush A.

    We hold B for a few minutes, but it's desperate and that Ashe is getting too much value. At first I was focusing their healers, but she'd nail me every time I went for 'em. Every time I approached our choke to try and push them back, she'd slap me like a rented mule. When I turned my attention to her, she'd either kill me or drive me off for health. I checked her career profile. Set to private. I gave her a healthy amount of respect, but I'll not be discouraged. I blink out above the choke, land behind her, and stick her with the pulse.

    Whew. Good.

    And I'm sorry to say, I barely hesitated. I'd gotten an idea. An awful idea. I got a wonderful, awful idea. I turned around, began counting to ten and headed for her spawn.

    Now first let me say I never did the pure Tracer Walk Up Behind 'Em And Empty Your Guns Into Their Head spawn camping on her - these were all duels. Second, as a rule, I'll only spawn camp someone once. It's a dick move, it's not fun for the other party, and it's frankly not very sporting - but I told myself, here, that that rule's spirit really applies to the spawn camping of carry supports - because they're pretty much the only folks I'll ever spawn kill, given their massive value in a teamfight. So it's worth doin' - but do it once, then leave 'em be - as a general rule.

    But this Ashe was shuttin' us down... and she's not a Mercy or a Moira. She's got defenses - and I know she can wreck me, she's done it a half-dozen times so far this game. And with her away from that choke, my team was doin' just fine.

    Round 1, I wasn't sneaky enough, and as soon as she noticed me she coach gunned around a corner and called in Bob. I zip away and she jockeys for position, heading for point B but I land a solid clip and she bails for a health pack while her Moira comes in. Moira doesn't really help her - she hits me with the damage orb and immediately loses interest when I rewind - and I catch up with Ashe by the small health pack at the Point A choke, and get the pick.

    My team's still holdin' it down... maybe better to keep her back. So I waited another ten seconds, and an Orisa comes thumping out of spawn. She must've switched! Eh - might as well - but as I lay into her, Ashe hits me from her spawn. I bail out, and she chases me around point A, eventually succumbing to my elegant Tracer style after a tussle by the forklift.

    We keep holding the point. I stick around. Round 3, I let her see me from 30 yards out, peeking from cover by the forklift, and wave as she tries to land shots. I'm still doin' it - but I'm tryin' to give her a sporting chance, and not be a dick about it. Eventually she knows she's gotta' come forward to the forklift, 'cause I'm not coming to her, and this time it's a quick two clips - and her team begins taking our point.

    I zip back to the point, blink in, stick their Doomfist (who'd been ulting left and right, doing quite well), finish off their Orisa and we hold it down.

    The next time Ashe comes to the choke, though, it's a very different dynamic. I blink out, wave at her, and blink back in. She backpedals like mad.

    I follow up, whip around the corner of the barrier at the choke. She's backpedaling through her Orisa, but while Orisa tries to body block my shots, I only have eyes for Ashe - and she only had eyes for me. I do not shoot with my hand, Ashe. I shoot with my mind.

    Sent 'em a GG.
    r46brtw99q0b.jpg

    I know a lotta' people like to complain (and if we're talkin' ults I'll join in), but damn I love this game. So much.

    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    KlatubaudattitudeKoopahTroopahmightyjongyoThe Escape GoatPailryderH3Knuckles
  • KlatuKlatu Registered User regular
    New thread smell.

    So took a run around Paris map today. Man that's a LONG run for defenders from spawn to A, and a hella long run from A to B for attackers.

    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I had a fun moment on Volskaya yesterday as well. It was one of those games where we absolutely steamrollered point A but just kept bouncing off point B over and over again, largely due to this one Bastion who was set up in a little side cubby behind an Orisa shield and who had a perfect commanding view of every approach we tried.

    So with about twenty seconds remaining and all of us alive but not able to even enter the big warehouse to get to the second capture point, I figure it's a good time for a hail Mercy and punch Valkyrie and fly around the side to where I have an angle on the backside of the robot who has been giving us such woes.

    I land maybe two or three shots on him before he notices that he's being shot and reciprocates, almost killing me before I duck back out of his line of fire.

    It is, however, known to all that a DPS character who has tasted the blood of a healer cannot let it rest, so he switches to Recon mode and comes chasing after me.

    As Valkyrie runs out and I fall to my death, I see the kill feed start lighting up with lots of Blue ---> Red.

    And I respawn to VICTORY.

    ChancePailryderH3Knuckles
  • madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Fun with landmines
    After pulverizing this Mei, she is rezzed, only to die again right away along with the whole rest of her team


    This Moira tries to melt the mines, but it's too slow so she phases through them, thinking herself clever. Then dies when the somewhat less clever d.va behind her barrels through and sets the mines off


    You can practically hear this Rein go "OH SHI-"

    bonus clip: i booped almost their ENTIRE TEAM but then a hog stole the credit with last touch

    MusicoolChanceH3Knuckles
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    pssst tracer i can still see you



    i had a zen rightclick that deleted a mercy right at the beginning of defending volskaya, but i guess it happened too soon after the game started because it wouldn't let me clip it

    ChanceKlatuH3Knuckles
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    jfrrvmku66nt.jpg

    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    CantidoKoopahTroopahmiscellaneousinsanityJackdawGinMusicoolKanaThe Escape GoatPailryderFencingsaxKlatuH3Knuckles
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Anyone got any cool learning resources for main tank? I've been playing Reinhardt and Orisa a lot when I solo queue because nobody else will and I might as well. I can't help but feel like I could be playing better to help my team more, but it's incredibly frustrating when you're a Reinhardt and all your DPS leave to "go flank" or something and I'm just alone with a healer.

    Assume I am the worst overwatch player in the world and I am in the depths of silver or bronze and you're probably not far off. I'll update more when I finish placements.

    Battle.net: Spawnbroker#1471
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    Final Fantasy XIV: Spawn Broken
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i need to sit down and watch more of his content but i've found AceofSpades informative, he's a t500 main tank player who does a lot of educational streams



    jayne also does VOD reviews for all sr levels

    SpawnbrokerChanceKanaH3Knuckles
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    When you're Ana and the only healer, and your widow starts yelling at you to "take care of the pharah plz."

    The other 4 team members promptly reply almost in unison "...wait, what?"

    steam_sig.png
    KoopahTroopahChanceMusicoolmightyjongyoThe Escape GoatFencingsaxBionicPenguinH3Knuckles
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Anyone got any cool learning resources for main tank? I've been playing Reinhardt and Orisa a lot when I solo queue because nobody else will and I might as well. I can't help but feel like I could be playing better to help my team more, but it's incredibly frustrating when you're a Reinhardt and all your DPS leave to "go flank" or something and I'm just alone with a healer.

    Assume I am the worst overwatch player in the world and I am in the depths of silver or bronze and you're probably not far off. I'll update more when I finish placements.

    You asked for it.

    First, I'm not familiar with any main tank guides - I'd just recommend like, watching a Cloneman stream or something (he's a main-tank main). There's definitely a KarQ vid for Rein, though... Here, check these out:












    ...but what you need to be most conscious of as a main tank is this: Take Space.

    Other folks around here will do a better job than me at explaining the idea of taking space, but that's the most important thing a tank does. A tank thinks of the maps as a grid of sightlines and danger zones that are constantly shifting and realigning as enemy players change position in relation to your team. A danger zone is anywhere your team could stand that leaves them in danger of enemy damage. As Orisa, Rein or Winston, your job is to create areas your team can move through safely, lay shots into the enemy line safely, and so on. Now, keep in mind, there are some stone-cold maniacs out there who will insist that Hammond is a main tank, and creates such space by simply taking the attention of the enemy team - but that's a philosophical debate for another time.

    The simplest way to take space is just pick Rein, hold up your barrier and walk forward. If anyone approaches your shield, swing the hammer at them. Try to be mindful of where your DPS are, because they can do their best when you're doing well. A Tracer or McCree doesn't want to have to deal 100% of the damage to that Soldier - we want to sail in after you've already put a firestrike into them and finished them off. It's easier. It's quicker. In this fashion, one tank and one DPS who are just kinda' in sync can do an incredible amount of work. Like, a ridiculous amount of work.

    When your barrier starts to crack, back off and let it recharge - do not be the Rein that blindly charges in because your barrier's down - if you do, your team will lose that teamfight and you'll come out of spawn to a pile of corpses. Play conservative, remember you're hugely important to holding this line in the same way your Mercy is. If you die, odds are the teamfight is lost.

    As for the DPS leaving to flank and leaving you all alone..?

    Yeah, we do do that. Sorry. If your DPS are all flankers, you'll have more success jumping things in concert with them on Winston. If you've got a flanker DPS and you're on Rein, know that our strategy is not to hide behind your shield taking midrange potshots at the enemy - behind a friendly Rein shield is where Tracers go to die. We get in close, and so our plan is to start on the far side of the enemy team as you approach from the front, and start punching them in the butt while you punch them in the face. No enemy can withstand punches to both the face and the butt.

    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    Spawnbroker
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    Anyone got any cool learning resources for main tank? I've been playing Reinhardt and Orisa a lot when I solo queue because nobody else will and I might as well. I can't help but feel like I could be playing better to help my team more, but it's incredibly frustrating when you're a Reinhardt and all your DPS leave to "go flank" or something and I'm just alone with a healer.

    Assume I am the worst overwatch player in the world and I am in the depths of silver or bronze and you're probably not far off. I'll update more when I finish placements.

    You asked for it.

    First, I'm not familiar with any main tank guides - I'd just recommend like, watching a Cloneman stream or something (he's a main-tank main). There's definitely a KarQ vid for Rein, though... Here, check these out:












    ...but what you need to be most conscious of as a main tank is this: Take Space.

    Other folks around here will do a better job than me at explaining the idea of taking space, but that's the most important thing a tank does. A tank thinks of the maps as a grid of sightlines and danger zones that are constantly shifting and realigning as enemy players change position in relation to your team. A danger zone is anywhere your team could stand that leaves them in danger of enemy damage. As Orisa, Rein or Winston, your job is to create areas your team can move through safely, lay shots into the enemy line safely, and so on. Now, keep in mind, there are some stone-cold maniacs out there who will insist that Hammond is a main tank, and creates such space by simply taking the attention of the enemy team - but that's a philosophical debate for another time.

    The simplest way to take space is just pick Rein, hold up your barrier and walk forward. If anyone approaches your shield, swing the hammer at them. Try to be mindful of where your DPS are, because they can do their best when you're doing well. A Tracer or McCree doesn't want to have to deal 100% of the damage to that Soldier - we want to sail in after you've already put a firestrike into them and finished them off. It's easier. It's quicker. In this fashion, one tank and one DPS who are just kinda' in sync can do an incredible amount of work. Like, a ridiculous amount of work.

    When your barrier starts to crack, back off and let it recharge - do not be the Rein that blindly charges in because your barrier's down - if you do, your team will lose that teamfight and you'll come out of spawn to a pile of corpses. Play conservative, remember you're hugely important to holding this line in the same way your Mercy is. If you die, odds are the teamfight is lost.

    As for the DPS leaving to flank and leaving you all alone..?

    Yeah, we do do that. Sorry. If your DPS are all flankers, you'll have more success jumping things in concert with them on Winston. If you've got a flanker DPS and you're on Rein, know that our strategy is not to hide behind your shield taking midrange potshots at the enemy - behind a friendly Rein shield is where Tracers go to die. We get in close, and so our plan is to start on the far side of the enemy team as you approach from the front, and start punching them in the butt while you punch them in the face. No enemy can withstand punches to both the face and the butt.

    Cool, thanks, this is super useful. I've been kind of confused on how to improve because I've been playing with a friend who's been playing for years but is thoroughly stuck in low silver/high bronze for that entire time. He tries to give me advice and I never know what advice is good or bad because...I know he's not the greatest at the game.

    As an example, I have been doing the "shield up, walk forward, if anyone gets close hit them in the face" thing on Reinhardt. He told me not to hit people with the hammer last night because I'm supposed to protect the DPS with my shield. That seems wrong, but I'm also the new guy, so I have no idea what to do if someone gets close to my shield if my friends are depending on my shield to keep them alive. Stuff like that.

    I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. Overwatch is a weird FPS because it's so heavily focused on teamwork. To the game's detriment, at times.

    I will say that I have way more fun with the game when we're a 6 man stack on discord screaming at each other. Solo queue just doesn't feel as fun as that.

    Battle.net: Spawnbroker#1471
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    Final Fantasy XIV: Spawn Broken
  • TexiKenTexiKen he's got a f*****g knife in his hand...in his mouth Registered User regular
    It's a really sad indictment of the game right now (on Xbox at least) that the only time I've had no one leave the game midway like an absolute POS dickwad has been in competitive CTF placements (just need one more). For whatever reason people will stay, even if you're gonna lose at 0-2. Why can't these people play regular comp or MH or QP.

    JVTxBEn.jpg
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    aw yeah, this is the good stuff

    ChanceMusicoolKanaKlatuH3Knuckles
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    @miscellaneousinsanity holy shit that Hilltop Hoods song is awesome. And I will never be that good on Luciohhh.
    Chance wrote: »
    Anyone got any cool learning resources for main tank? I've been playing Reinhardt and Orisa a lot when I solo queue because nobody else will and I might as well. I can't help but feel like I could be playing better to help my team more, but it's incredibly frustrating when you're a Reinhardt and all your DPS leave to "go flank" or something and I'm just alone with a healer.

    Assume I am the worst overwatch player in the world and I am in the depths of silver or bronze and you're probably not far off. I'll update more when I finish placements.

    You asked for it.

    First, I'm not familiar with any main tank guides - I'd just recommend like, watching a Cloneman stream or something (he's a main-tank main). There's definitely a KarQ vid for Rein, though... Here, check these out:












    ...but what you need to be most conscious of as a main tank is this: Take Space.

    Other folks around here will do a better job than me at explaining the idea of taking space, but that's the most important thing a tank does. A tank thinks of the maps as a grid of sightlines and danger zones that are constantly shifting and realigning as enemy players change position in relation to your team. A danger zone is anywhere your team could stand that leaves them in danger of enemy damage. As Orisa, Rein or Winston, your job is to create areas your team can move through safely, lay shots into the enemy line safely, and so on. Now, keep in mind, there are some stone-cold maniacs out there who will insist that Hammond is a main tank, and creates such space by simply taking the attention of the enemy team - but that's a philosophical debate for another time.

    The simplest way to take space is just pick Rein, hold up your barrier and walk forward. If anyone approaches your shield, swing the hammer at them. Try to be mindful of where your DPS are, because they can do their best when you're doing well. A Tracer or McCree doesn't want to have to deal 100% of the damage to that Soldier - we want to sail in after you've already put a firestrike into them and finished them off. It's easier. It's quicker. In this fashion, one tank and one DPS who are just kinda' in sync can do an incredible amount of work. Like, a ridiculous amount of work.

    When your barrier starts to crack, back off and let it recharge - do not be the Rein that blindly charges in because your barrier's down - if you do, your team will lose that teamfight and you'll come out of spawn to a pile of corpses. Play conservative, remember you're hugely important to holding this line in the same way your Mercy is. If you die, odds are the teamfight is lost.

    As for the DPS leaving to flank and leaving you all alone..?

    Yeah, we do do that. Sorry. If your DPS are all flankers, you'll have more success jumping things in concert with them on Winston. If you've got a flanker DPS and you're on Rein, know that our strategy is not to hide behind your shield taking midrange potshots at the enemy - behind a friendly Rein shield is where Tracers go to die. We get in close, and so our plan is to start on the far side of the enemy team as you approach from the front, and start punching them in the butt while you punch them in the face. No enemy can withstand punches to both the face and the butt.

    Cool, thanks, this is super useful. I've been kind of confused on how to improve because I've been playing with a friend who's been playing for years but is thoroughly stuck in low silver/high bronze for that entire time. He tries to give me advice and I never know what advice is good or bad because...I know he's not the greatest at the game.

    As an example, I have been doing the "shield up, walk forward, if anyone gets close hit them in the face" thing on Reinhardt. He told me not to hit people with the hammer last night because I'm supposed to protect the DPS with my shield. That seems wrong, but I'm also the new guy, so I have no idea what to do if someone gets close to my shield if my friends are depending on my shield to keep them alive. Stuff like that.

    I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. Overwatch is a weird FPS because it's so heavily focused on teamwork. To the game's detriment, at times.

    I will say that I have way more fun with the game when we're a 6 man stack on discord screaming at each other. Solo queue just doesn't feel as fun as that.

    Not swinging that hammer is like an Orisa who doesn't use her primary fire. You can't be that static - and keep in mind, Reinhardt (in terms of math) has the highest potential consistent damage of any tank. 75x6 = 450 damage per second if you're swinging the hammer into a 6-man grav, with a potential spike of 1050 when you add a firestrike in there. How does your friend expect you to earn your ult? Just firestrike? Rein's is probably in the top-4 most valuable ults in the game (Trance, Beat, Grav, Shatter) - so valuable that whole team comps and strats revolve around it - and at your SR, it's unlikely you're often facing teams that are even aware of how to block it.

    You can't just hold your shield statically for a lot of reasons. If you do, first, it'll get melted by focus fire - it's impossible to miss - and most importantly, you don't want it for blocking spam trash damage. You need to have it there when you yourself want to push up closer, when their Pharah Barrages or even just a Hog hooks. A Rein whose shield has shattered is just screwed unless half his team suddenly protect him - it's okay if it gets cracked, but you never want it to go to 0. Let it drop, get behind cover and recharge. Allies standing behind a Rein shield (generally) know that it's not a guarantee of safety - just a moment's respite - because Rein should absolutely be firing Firestrikes in there and telling any red who gets close enough to fuck right off via the international language of hammers.

    Keep in mind, Rein swings once per second - general latency is a little under a half-second, so most enemies don't even know you've hit them with the first swing before the second connects on your screen. Additionally, the Rein who keeps his shield up, facing the enemy team when a Tracer, Genji, Reaper, whatever gets behind his shield and starts slapping him around is a Rein who's about to die. If he'd'a swung the hammer, he'd've had a chance.

    Obviously you wanna' shield - you wanna' protect your team and yourself - but unless you're desperate to block the Widow up there, you need to apply that hammer to the McCree who thinks he's gonna' walk through your shield. As a main tank - if you're doin' Orisa, Winston or Rein - This Is Your House and anyone who rings the doorbell should be terrified of what you'll do in return. Play The Intimidation Game. What I like to do is thump right up to the enemy line with my shield down - soak up maybe 200 in panic damage - then bring the shield up and stare right into the soul of the nearest enemy. My team now has a massive amount of space behind me, my healers are earning ult charge off me and I'm invitingly close to the enemy line, just daring someone to get into hammer range.

    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    PailryderH3Knuckles
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    @Chance thanks for all the detailed thoughts!

    I will report back after I have lost the rest of my placement matches if I have any other questions

    Battle.net: Spawnbroker#1471
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    Final Fantasy XIV: Spawn Broken
    ChanceKoopahTroopahH3Knuckles
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    One thing I would add to learning Rein is don't ever charge in a fight. The times a charge saves a fight will be far outnumbered by the times a charge gets your entire team killed. Once you can think beyond "This is the target I want to pin" and get to "This is my pin target, the distance I travel is sufficiently short and covered by sufficient terrain for my healers to keep me up, and my destination is a location I can easily return to covering my team", you can start charging.

    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Chance
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    MusicoolmightyjongyomiscellaneousinsanityBionicPenguinThe Escape GoatTexiKenKlatuH3Knuckles
  • CoinageCoinage dance all crazy, whip my hair around all crazy Registered User regular
  • KlatuKlatu Registered User regular
    That lucio montage... doing Eichenwalde in reverse was just rubbing in the fact I can't do that stuff :P

    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    VERY good night of MH last night. A widow match I could do no wrong in and a Mercy match where I did 10k healing, which was 72% of damage taken. I got an all caps message from someone who was happy with me after that match. How did I pull that off? 2-3 Orisas that I refused to let die. So, you know, handicap. When their dps finally realized I needed to die I would just shield dance around one of the 3 available orisa shields...I haven't been focusing on her much, but she still might be my most played character by a mile ....

    ChanceH3Knuckles
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Klatu wrote: »
    That lucio montage... doing Eichenwalde in reverse was just rubbing in the fact I can't do that stuff :P

    That entire montage was rubbin' my face in The Lucio I Will Never Be.

    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    KlatuH3Knuckles
  • SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    I've said before that I really wish they would make some obstacle course arcade mode. Lucio's wallriding mechanics are so fun and tight that its a waste to have not have some kind of time attack mode. Heck, you could take away cooldowns and give Hammond or Widow grapple courses too.

    miscellaneousinsanityH3Knuckles
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    Probably the most dumb fun I had in this game was Wrecking Ball with no cooldowns.

    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

    hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    Chance
  • SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Klatu wrote: »
    That lucio montage... doing Eichenwalde in reverse was just rubbing in the fact I can't do that stuff :P

    That's actually not super tricky. You can bind jump to the mouse wheel, if you have a free spinning wheel, you can give continuous jump inputs, which makes hitting jumps off of small targets like trees or poles or when you can't see much easier. Still not easy, but makes it reasonably difficult.

    The most impressive bits to me are any sort of vertical curve to get around the lip of a ledge and land on top, or just chaining together several long wall jumps, as this requires perfectly timed wrist flicks to maximize jump distance while resetting your aim between jumps to hit the right spots. Really small windows to hit.

    Klatu
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular

    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    For those that don't reddit, this is one worth looking at for the weird Lucio bug.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/anff1u/i_love_this_bug_ok/

    CantidoChanceKlatuH3Knuckles
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Got into some pretty fierce Widow rivalries tonight and some decent PotGs, but for me the Pick of the Day was this.



    Smooth. Also

    xr7tr0evuvyt.jpg
    https://twitter.com/bluebloodtanuki

    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    The Escape GoatFencingsaxKoopahTroopahH3Knuckles
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat bad, but in a useful way Registered User regular
    Even though I haven't played Pharah in ages the sound of Tracer's rounds plinking into her armor still haunts me.

    ipb9shu990mz.jpg


  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I started playing this game about a month ago. I really like it, but I want to be an asset to my friends when we play together (they're very nice about it but I know I am not the best). Any particular pointers? Recommended resources? Just play a bunch of games until I git gud?

    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    I started playing this game about a month ago. I really like it, but I want to be an asset to my friends when we play together (they're very nice about it but I know I am not the best). Any particular pointers? Recommended resources? Just play a bunch of games until I git gud?

    There's definitely no shortage of resources available out there. Are there any particular heroes you enjoy playing / are interested in getting better on? It's always a good idea to watch some high level streamers, ignore how much better their aim is and just focus on the rest of their play - where they position relative to their team and the enemy, where they move, how and when they use their abilities, and so on.

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    ChanceTDawg
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Calibrated at 2130 SR. I have no idea if that's good. Gold, though! I am not the worst!

    I did play DPS pretty poorly at one point. And I actually had one match where someone coached everyone through playing GOATS comp, which was pretty cool. He didn't even get upset when I messed everything up!

    Battle.net: Spawnbroker#1471
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    Final Fantasy XIV: Spawn Broken
    ChanceThe Escape GoatH3Knuckles
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    I started playing this game about a month ago. I really like it, but I want to be an asset to my friends when we play together (they're very nice about it but I know I am not the best). Any particular pointers? Recommended resources? Just play a bunch of games until I git gud?

    Hero-specific, there are folks around here who can give you advice on pretty much everyone, and a Google or YouTube search will get you started with Pro Tips. General advice kinda' depends on how bad you are, so I'm going to assume you're as bad as I was when I started (which is unlikely).

    Step 1 - Play Support. If you believe you're bringin' your team down in general, playing support is the best way to really, meaningfully help while not being hamstrung by a lack of mechanical skill.

    Ana and Zenyatta aside, most support heroes don't have a high aim skill requirement to be effective - this allows you to focus on using your abilities correctly and, by your mere presence, provide value to your team. Every tank and DPS is grateful for every health pack they didn't have to run for, and this will help you practice multiple good things. (1) Game Sense - Mercy, Moira, Ana and Zen all like to hang back and observe the teamfight at a dispassionate distance, and especially with Mercy and Ana, you'll quickly develop a sixth sense of knowing how this teamfight is going, whether or not you're going to win (and why), and who on your team you need to give the most help to to make it a W. Understanding the ebb and flow of an Overwatch teamfight, seeing the moment when you need to push, is a huge part of this game. All this practice will also grant you (2) Overwatch Knowledge - you likely already know what it means when you hear "fire in the hole!" - audio cues are huge in Overwatch. For example, if you hear an enemy McCree say "now hold on, there," what he means is "I'm a free kill, start shooting at me."

    Sticking to support means teamfights don't come down to your skill nearly as much as your teammates, but your strategy can have an impact and if you die fuck those guys who didn't protect your defenseless support ass! Which teaches one of the most important lessons of Overwatch - (3) Don't Die. Your team needs you here, and if you're the primary healer your team's gonna' lose once you die (unless you have a mad carry DPS/Tank/Zen whatever) - so focus on surviving most of all. As the support, you are Target Numero Uno for the entire enemy team, and you'll get a lot of practice.

    Mastering your support of choice will also give you ample time to (4) Learn All The Maps and game modes, and that will assist you with the next step.

    Step 2 - Play Mystery Heroes. Explore the roster in a Zero-Stress Zone where everyone's laughing at how bad they are at Hanzo or how silly they feel flying around on Doomfist, and you couldn't pick Soldier to counter that enemy Pharah if you wanted to.

    I endorse Mystery Heroes over just saying "I feel like checking out Reaper" in Quickplay is because there are likely a bunch of heroes you'd never have even thought to try - and Mystery Heroes is how you may discover that, weirdly, you just happen to really get Mei's kit or have a preternatural understanding of how to land a Pharah rocket at 30 yards. While Step 1 is about exploring the game, Step 2 is more about exploring your own aptitude among the various heroes.

    The second benefit of MH - and this is a major benefit that will prove an asset for the rest of your Overwatch career - is that having played Mei, Widow, Hanzo, Zarya, Rein, Hog, whatever, you now know what they fear. You know that Hog really can't take all that much punishment after he's huffed, you understand that that Widow won't be able to grapple again soon and that Zarya just used her personal bubble git 'er! It's one thing to have someone tell you that Zarya's vulnerable once she's used it, but it becomes deeply internalized - and preciously empathetic - when you've felt that vulnerability yourself. It lets you Know the roster, how and when to counter them, and will make you way better at mind games.

    Step 3 - Familiarize Yourself With This Reference Material. Just Google a wiki for your favorite hero. The details Blizzard provides in-game are laughably low on details, and you might be interested to know precise damage, health, healing and cooldown numbers for your hero of choice. Explore a little. Find out The Actual Numbers for how much damage Reaper can do per shot (140) and how many shots per second (2) or exactly how much a Zen orb heals (30 per second) or how much of Rein's health is armor (100) or what, exactly, a headshot does for you (dmg x 2). Knowing that a direct-hit Pharah rocket deals 120 and with a Mercy damage-boosting that's (120*1.30=) 156 makes things way easier to quickly understand. Fine-grit knowledge like that really helps.

    I'm not sayin' take an evening, sit down and study. Don't do that - but whenever you find yourself curious, crack open the Overwatch wikis.

    Step 3 - Practice. You've got a support main under your belt - helpful in all situations - and now you've found yourself a DPS or tank (or another support) that you wanna' git gud with. If you're anything like me, that's gonna' take time. Be patient with yourself, and appreciate that there will be games where You, Yes, You Cost Your Team A Win Because You Sucked. Don't be hard on yourself - we've literally all been there. Celebrate your victories and successes, and examine your defeats to reflect on what you did wrong. More often than not, the answer is you pushed too hard and didn't bail out of a fight that was already lost, or you put yourself in a really good location for the enemy team to score a pick on you. Practice, practice, practice.

    And keep askin' questions ^.^

    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    TDawg
«13456710
Sign In or Register to comment.