As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Workshop now included.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I kind of wish they had some soldier intros where he's swinging his golf club or flipping burgers on the grill.

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    I had several great matches with him last night.

I hate a good Soldier like I hate a good McCree. Just know, when you use that ult, I'm comin' for ya.
    Also he's gay, I'm gay, it's great.

This gave me a warm and fuzzy little smile ^,^

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I kind of wish they had some soldier intros where he's swinging his golf club or flipping burgers on the grill.

Sitting on his porch, standing up and yelling at the kids

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

I wish they just had more decent soldier intros period, especially how incredibly flat/boring/non-dynamic most of his vanilla ones were

edited February 2019

Sitting on his porch, standing up and yelling at the kids

YES. I think they made a strategic mistake having so many of the intros be "super badass fighters." I guess it took a while for the shipping and fandom to emerge with gremlin D.Va. and whatnot, but that material would work so much better as intros. Plus, the funny intros kind of take the edge off feeling salty over losing. I know they have a decent amount of funny/quirky intros already, but MOAR. The intros should be mini-looney tunes comedy bits.

soylenth on
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I would just like to occasionally see a Mercy intro. Like, I’ll play a round or two as D.Va and get PotG because three people on the other team didn’t know to run away from the big glowing ball, but then I’ll spent an entire match healing my butt off and even get a few pistol kills and PotG will be “and here is a random moment when McCree shot two people in the head”

Junkrat has some funny intros though and it says a lot about the people who play him that a lot of them seem to use the “accidentally hitting myself in the crotch” intro.

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Mercy has the same problem as Zarya wrt PotG. Both of them enable the rest of the team to get a PotG. Often you won't see Zarya get a play for a huge grav, it'll just be her killing people normally. Gravs just enable other people to get the play of the game haha. With Mercy it's usually that you healed/boosted some idiot dps just enough to let him/her get the kills and score that sick PotG :D Such is life.

I feel most Mercy PotGs left when her huge rez was taken away.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    Klatu wrote: »
    Mercy has the same problem as Zarya wrt PotG. Both of them enable the rest of the team to get a PotG. Often you won't see Zarya get a play for a huge grav, it'll just be her killing people normally. Gravs just enable other people to get the play of the game haha. With Mercy it's usually that you healed/boosted some idiot dps just enough to let him/her get the kills and score that sick PotG :D Such is life.

I feel most Mercy PotGs left when her huge rez was taken away.

They can happen, but they're rare. And when it does we're lookin' at our DPS like 3548bpcawcx3.jpg

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Mercy's ult is just in a bad place people it goes against their big design philosophy about ults giving heroes a big burst of impact so each hero would have their time to shine.

Like it'd be better if they just said they purposefully stuck her with a mediocre ult because Rez is such a powerful ability and anything else would make her OP.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Mercy and Zen aren't allowed to have PotGs anymore after their respective four months where they automatically got it every single game

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I just got one where i just popped ult and pocketed a winston

it was a weird game though

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Some general advice for Starting to Git Gud at Overwatch

Oh wow! Thanks everyone. I'll make you proud.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular

Oh yeah damage boosted Winston is scary af. What is it, 80 cleave dps?

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png

That works so very well with your avatar of choice.

I need a very specialized Overwatch coaching service that is just a guy standing behind me saying “no, don’t even try to rez that guy or you will get killed by the same person who killed him”

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Mercy POTG can be ... unsettling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5SC8k5GTD4

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I need a very specialized Overwatch coaching service that is just a guy standing behind me saying “no, don’t even try to rez that guy or you will get killed by the same person who killed him”

I personally found that replays and the one vod I got were the most helpful.

YMMV, but when you or others get to watch you making a dumbass mistake, it's easier to later say "Wait! I've done this dumbass thing before! Not today though!" There's something about watching yourself make mistakes. I wonder if there's some science behind that...

I can't help you with Mercy Rez's specifically though. I barely play her, but in those short stints I've definitely noticed the moth-meets-flame allure of a quick rez.

Maybe post a vod where you do that a lot? I'm sure players like @Brutal J will happily review you!

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    edited February 2019
    https://youtu.be/4RA9Y0zCyIU

Okay so remember when I was crunching the Armor Numbers patch to see if it opened up a new opportunity?
    Chance wrote: »
    ...But if you're lookin' to make Bastion more vulnerable to flankers, consider this.

Bastion has 200HP + 100 Armor. Ironclad reduces damage by 20% and with this patch armor removes 3 damage per shot max. Ironclad reduces incoming damage before the armor reduction goes into effect, so as a Tracer main, this is what interests me...

6 damage per pellet = 12 with crit -2.4 or 20% for Ironclad = 9.6 damage per shot. 9.6 minus 3 for armor = 6.6 damage per shot. It will thus take 16 Pulse Pistol bullets (6.6 x 16 = 105.6) to remove Bastion's armor, leaving Tracer with 24 bullets in her clip. If those 24 bullets all crit, they will deal an additional (12-2.4 =) 9.6. 9.6 x 24 = 230.4 damage.

Thus, with a single clip of perfect crit shots, Tracer can now one-clip a Sentry mode Bastion.

(Chance, you mean she couldn't before?)

No she couldn't.

I know the patch is seen as a Bastion/Ham/Soldier buff, but it's only strengthened Bastion circumstantially. It's also made him yet more circumstantially vulnerable.

But is this true? Does this beautiful butterfly of a thought have what it takes to mean something where it counts? In the streets?

If you will kindly turn your attention to 3:34 in the above video, we have our answer ^.^

Chance on
  • ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular

Okay so remember when I was crunching the Armor Numbers patch to see if it opened up a new opportunity?
    ...But if you're lookin' to make Bastion more vulnerable to flankers, consider this.

Bastion has 200HP + 100 Armor. Ironclad reduces damage by 20% and with this patch armor removes 3 damage per shot max. Ironclad reduces incoming damage before the armor reduction goes into effect, so as a Tracer main, this is what interests me...

6 damage per pellet = 12 with crit -2.4 or 20% for Ironclad = 9.6 damage per shot. 9.6 minus 3 for armor = 6.6 damage per shot. It will thus take 16 Pulse Pistol bullets (6.6 x 16 = 105.6) to remove Bastion's armor, leaving Tracer with 24 bullets in her clip. If those 24 bullets all crit, they will deal an additional (12-2.4 =) 9.6. 9.6 x 24 = 230.4 damage.

Thus, with a single clip of perfect crit shots, Tracer can now one-clip a Sentry mode Bastion.

No she couldn't.

I know the patch is seen as a Bastion/Ham/Soldier buff, but it's only strengthened Bastion circumstantially. It's also made him yet more circumstantially vulnerable.

But is this true? Does this beautiful butterfly of a thought have what it takes to mean something where it counts? In the streets?

If you will kindly turn your attention to 3:34 in the above video, we have our answer ^.^

Chance, I believe the levels of entrapment and brutality displayed on your follow up to Mercy after Bastion are against department guidelines. I’m going to need your gun and your badge and IA will want to speak with you.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Mercy's ult is just in a bad place people it goes against their big design philosophy about ults giving heroes a big burst of impact so each hero would have their time to shine.

Like it'd be better if they just said they purposefully stuck her with a mediocre ult because Rez is such a powerful ability and anything else would make her OP.

Apropos of this, a quick revisitation of my conceptual rework for Mercy:

Goals
    - Give Mercy more moment-to-moment decision-making. Mercy players do not want to have their impact predicated on mechanical skill but also don't want to literally sit doing nothing but heal-beam one target.
    - Raise Mercy's overall power, but gently.
    - Don't increase Mercy's single-target healing. The current 50 HPS for point-and-click is about right compared to Moira (resource limited) and Ana (aim limited).
    - Make her ult less of a passive power boost and more of an "ultimate move".
    - Don't raise dev costs too much. Mercy has already received a lot of work.

The Idea
    - Mercy's E skill is now a Lucio-style crossfade on a 2-second cooldown. In the alternate mode, the beam has 1/3 of its base effect, but blooms to adjacent allies as with today's Valkyrie.
    - Valkryie remains Mercy's ult.
    - Valkyrie no longer auto-procs the bloom effect.
    - Valkyrie lasts 6 seconds. (Or thereabouts.)
    - During Valkyrie, Mercy may resurrect allies with Q.
    - Resurrection is limited either by a certain number of charges (3 is my instinct) or by subtracting time from Valkrie. Or simply by the fact that even if you could press Q infinitely the cast time would only permit 3 attempts before the transformation ran out.

This, I feel, puts Valkyrie somewhere between the old "reverse an entire lost team fight instantly" dynamic of the old mass Resurrect and the drip-feed of resurrections that happen today. She could conceivably resurrect three allies, but needs to spend 6 seconds untouched, meaning assistance from a Tank or a totally inattentive enemy. Meanwhile, Resurrect is elevated back into an Ultimate, such that it will affect the game less often than every 30 seconds. Letting Mercy bloom the healing or damage beam but have to momentarily commit to her choice means much more moment-to-moment decision-making, and expands her total healing potential without trivializing the other single-target healers. And all of this is just shuffling around components of the game that already exist, with the exception of the crossfade possibly requiring a new animation.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Running into a KBAM Widow on console is v annoying

Dragkonias wrote: »

I totally agree with this. Valk is not a big burst of impact and if you're not pullin' the pistol it's boring as heck. And heck is very boring.
    Kupi wrote: »

Apropos of this, a quick revisitation of my conceptual rework for Mercy:

Goals
    - Give Mercy more moment-to-moment decision-making. Mercy players do not want to have their impact predicated on mechanical skill but also don't want to literally sit doing nothing but heal-beam one target.
    - Raise Mercy's overall power, but gently.
    - Don't increase Mercy's single-target healing. The current 50 HPS for point-and-click is about right compared to Moira (resource limited) and Ana (aim limited).
    - Make her ult less of a passive power boost and more of an "ultimate move".
    - Don't raise dev costs too much. Mercy has already received a lot of work.

The Idea
    - Mercy's E skill is now a Lucio-style crossfade on a 2-second cooldown. In the alternate mode, the beam has 1/3 of its base effect, but blooms to adjacent allies as with today's Valkyrie.
    - Valkryie remains Mercy's ult.
    - Valkyrie no longer auto-procs the bloom effect.
    - Valkyrie lasts 6 seconds. (Or thereabouts.)
    - During Valkyrie, Mercy may resurrect allies with Q.
    - Resurrection is limited either by a certain number of charges (3 is my instinct) or by subtracting time from Valkrie. Or simply by the fact that even if you could press Q infinitely the cast time would only permit 3 attempts before the transformation ran out.

This, I feel, puts Valkyrie somewhere between the old "reverse an entire lost team fight instantly" dynamic of the old mass Resurrect and the drip-feed of resurrections that happen today. She could conceivably resurrect three allies, but needs to spend 6 seconds untouched, meaning assistance from a Tank or a totally inattentive enemy. Meanwhile, Resurrect is elevated back into an Ultimate, such that it will affect the game less often than every 30 seconds. Letting Mercy bloom the healing or damage beam but have to momentarily commit to her choice means much more moment-to-moment decision-making, and expands her total healing potential without trivializing the other single-target healers. And all of this is just shuffling around components of the game that already exist, with the exception of the crossfade possibly requiring a new animation.

I don't think you're going far enough with this - and I don't agree with keeping her single-target heals nerfed. Rez is at 30 seconds because any multi-rezzes are just oppressive to fight against, and this would bring back the Valk 1.0 days when a Mercy could rez up to 4 teammates within 30 seconds using her ult, and its affect on the cooldown. That got shut down pretty fast.

I think the answer is to go nuclear and admit that Valk is a shitty fucking ult and needs to go in the scrap heap of history. In its place, I would recommend a fairly fast-charging ult called Caduceus Blast.

Remember rez like... 3.0? Mercy became invincible for 1.0 seconds after casting rez. This opened up a lot of really cool tactical opportunities, and it always felt so badass to pull off in the face of an ulting McCree or D.Va bomb. So....

Caduceus Blast
    Mercy strikes the ground with her staff, fully healing all allies in the vicinity and instantly rendering them immune to all damage and crowd control abilities for 1.5 seconds (could be 1.0). This turns Mercy's ult into a team saving ult on par with Trance or Barrier, but one that's far less useful overall in a teamfight - it's not something you'll ever want to instigate a fight with - but it's very circumstantially-powerful. This makes Mercy's ult the hard counter to High Noon, Pulse Bomb, Self Destruct and Rip Tire - none of which are answered effectively by Sound Barrier or Trance - and the Mercy can blow it to guarantee a safe rez if need be.

It has multiple potential uses, and a successful BWOWWWM "not today, punk!" would feel super-badass in the face of a D.Va. Bomb or Riptire - because it would require perfect timing and prediction from the Mercy to be effective.

Then, I would increase her heal per second back up to 60 to address the heals lost to Valkyrie's absence.

No she couldn't.

Chance, I believe the levels of entrapment and brutality displayed on your follow up to Mercy after Bastion are against department guidelines. I’m going to need your gun and your badge and IA will want to speak with you.

Again? You knew what you were gettin' when I transferred in, Lieutenant - you told me you wanted results. Well, you got 'em. You saw the footage - no one held a gun to her head! Metaphorically speaking!

If you're so thirsty for my badge, show Internal the Roadhog on King's Row (1:15) and see who throws up first, 'cause that was disgusting.

(Thumps chest, throws a peace sign.) Tracer!

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I like Valkyrie in its current state, and the only change I’d make to it is to add a vision effect, like Sonic Arrow or the Widowmaker thing, limited to the Mercy doing the ultimate. It would make it even more of an “I can see the entire battlefield” power.

Also Wagner should play for its entire duration for everyone in the match, at an unchangable volume

Have lightning bolts periodically shoot out of a Valking Mercy. Nothing too spectacular, just a “stay the fuck away from me while I am ulting”.

The visual appeal is a bonus.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i'm trying to think of "heal options" and it's rough. You have normal heal which is just HP go up. You have add Armor which is just HP plus more more HP. You have shields which is Lucio (short term) and it was Symmetra but that went away and they haven't brought anything like that back. Heal plus heal over time which ana and moira kind of do on a very short scale and Zen does on a much bigger single target scale. What about damage reduction without + HP. So a healer that just makes it so you have your normal health pool but it's all like armor while they target you. Your HP doesn't go up but you survive longer. Or multiple Heal over Time options. Or give someone temporary vampire ability. So someone becomes like reaper but only for a few seconds. Hmmmmm

Also that mercy proposal of one to one point five second invuln would be a great counter on reins, dva, hamball, mcree, tracer, and doomfist, but probably not junk since his tire can choose when to explode.

edited February 2019
    I don't think it would be too bad Vs. Ham (it could save your team from a single boop or piledriver, but wouldn't help much Vs. mines really), but you're right about Doomfist. Like a D.Va bomb or Pulse, the timing to counter it would be almost-impossible to mess up.

Also, literally every heal in the game that's not Ana's nade or Brig's repair is heal-over-time.

One thing that I feel is lacking in the support category, I think, is a cleanser/debuffer. I mean, Zen is obviously a debuffer, but the fact that Zarya, a tank, is the only hero in the game with a cleanse that can be applied to allies seems weird to me. I feel like a support should be able to save an ally from like a Junk trap or whatever - that's a niche I think needs to be filled.

Chance on
    For those who hate Mercy rez, an option: Change her left trigger skill so that it's a temporary buff that lets her function in offensive/debuff mode for a few seconds. she has her regular blue and yellow beams, but now they can stick on opposing players as well. The heal beam on an enemy player does, mmm, maybe one and a half Symmetra turrets worth of damage, and the damage buff beam cuts their damage per shot in half. So every 30 seconds, she could help burn down a target or drastically depower an opposing Bastion or Bob.

Pailryder wrote: »
    i'm trying to think of "heal options" and it's rough. You have normal heal which is just HP go up. You have add Armor which is just HP plus more more HP. You have shields which is Lucio (short term) and it was Symmetra but that went away and they haven't brought anything like that back. Heal plus heal over time which ana and moira kind of do on a very short scale and Zen does on a much bigger single target scale. What about damage reduction without + HP. So a healer that just makes it so you have your normal health pool but it's all like armor while they target you. Your HP doesn't go up but you survive longer. Or multiple Heal over Time options. Or give someone temporary vampire ability. So someone becomes like reaper but only for a few seconds. Hmmmmm

Also that mercy proposal of one to one point five second invuln would be a great counter on reins, dva, hamball, mcree, tracer, and doomfist, but probably not junk since his tire can choose when to explode.

Change the AE full heal to an AE 100 heal / 100 damage and suddenly it counters Junkrat and minefields and Symmetra turrets alike. Actually I really like that idea.

For those who hate Mercy rez, an option: Change her left trigger skill so that it's a temporary buff that lets her function in offensive/debuff mode for a few seconds. she has her regular blue and yellow beams, but now they can stick on opposing players as well. The heal beam on an enemy player does, mmm, maybe one and a half Symmetra turrets worth of damage, and the damage buff beam cuts their damage per shot in half. So every 30 seconds, she could help burn down a target or drastically depower an opposing Bastion or Bob.

Hmmm I don't mind the debuff idea but that means she's gotta' get pretty close to the reds to do it.

Change the AE full heal to an AE 100 heal / 100 damage and suddenly it counters Junkrat and minefields and Symmetra turrets alike. Actually I really like that idea.

And Mercies could start getting PotGs again - but I think 100 AoE damage + 1 sec invul is OP.

The damage might be OP but then again, Mercy is very fragile and a target so it's almost always going to be used defensively right? Like if a mercy charges into the point she's going to get focused before that 100 damage can do something. Then again, i don't know, higher skill players could probably use it with a winston or something and massacre a team. Sym turrets have 30hp and junks tire is about that also? So maybe 50 hp damage?

The damage might be OP but then again, Mercy is very fragile and a target so it's almost always going to be used defensively right? Like if a mercy charges into the point she's going to get focused before that 100 damage can do something. Then again, i don't know, higher skill players could probably use it with a winston or something and massacre a team. Sym turrets have 30hp and junks tire is about that also? So maybe 50 hp damage?

Junk tire is a flat 100.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I've often felt like you want Mercy to be the healing powerhouse, go for it, but then take away the blaster. Her only self defense is guardian angel and a staff attack that can do 30.

I know it's kind of pointless at the OWL level but at the lower levels it requires people being willing and on their toes to actually be her with some sense of teamwork or map understanding.

Why does mercy have to switch to a gun? Make it more like ana where if she's targeting an ally she heals/boosts or an enemy she shoots a particle from her staff. Or does that make her too much like ana?

Unrelated to that, i just realized that Rein is really the only tank that doesn't have an ability that let's him survive longer. Dva has matrix, Hamball has shield, Hog has huff, Zar has shield, and Orisa has Fortify.

TexiKen wrote: »
    I've often felt like you want Mercy to be the healing powerhouse, go for it, but then take away the blaster. Her only self defense is guardian angel and a staff attack that can do 30.

I know it's kind of pointless at the OWL level but at the lower levels it requires people being willing and on their toes to actually be her with some sense of teamwork or map understanding.

Whoahwhoahwhoah. You can't take away the blaster.

Far as I'm concerned folks who never pull that pistol are playin' her wrong, and the pros agree.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Uh yeah let's not get too hasty, I rather like my pew pew option! Someone has to take down the widow if we don't have a counter-sniper! :P

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Why does mercy have to switch to a gun? Make it more like ana where if she's targeting an ally she heals/boosts or an enemy she shoots a particle from her staff. Or does that make her too much like ana?

Unrelated to that, i just realized that Rein is really the only tank that doesn't have an ability that let's him survive longer. Dva has matrix, Hamball has shield, Hog has huff, Zar has shield, and Orisa has Fortify.

I mean he has a 2,000 omnidirectional shield with no cooldown, he is the most survivable tank as is.

Uh yeah let's not get too hasty, I rather like my pew pew option! Someone has to take down the widow if we don't have a counter-sniper! :P

There's nothing like watching a Widow panic and start to run. Like, if they stood their ground I have 200hp and they can absolutely chew through that before I can kill them, but if they turn around...

I still like doing a side-stepping dance and plinking her to death with head shots from a distance. Kind of risky if they keep cool under pressure but satisfying when it works. I find a lot of dps underestimate the power of the pistol ...

Added bonus - since it's a projectile sometimes they think they're safe and peek and them blam! headshots 8-)

This discussion has been closed.