As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Workshop now included.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    it's my go to strategy for killing a hamball in a small room, jump on his head and shoot down!

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    PTR patch is up, mostly bug fixes, but it adds subtitles:
    New Feature: Subtitles

Choose between 3 additive levels of subtitling: Critical Gameplay, Critical Gameplay + Conversations, and Everything. This new feature was created to improve the gameplay experience for players that are deaf or hard of hearing, and also for players who enjoy reading closed captions.

This is actually useful to me, I usually run podcasts and turn the game volume down when QPing, so this makes it easier to catch ult callouts.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Hm. A lotta' people were expecting a new hero reveal this week.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    I guess it is about that time again, Baptiste hit PTR on Feb 26th.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    TBH I'm okay if they're skipping this time around, I feel like I'm still getting used to Baptiste being in the game... Gimme some time to adjust here Blizz!

Forgot about Havana just recently being added too. I forgot how frequently theyve been cranking out maps/heroes, man

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    new hero is junkrat in a white suit and shades his ult is a disco ball

funkrat

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Is there any whisper about what's next on the hero docket?

Give me another female main tank kthx.

• Options
    Word is it could be the big Maui-lookin' dude from Baptiste's short story, but apparently Echo (I think was her name? The white E.V.E.-lookin' omnic from the McCree/Ashe short is also on the docket at some point. And, of course, there's the Junker Queen...

Lots of whispers, nothing concrete.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Is there any whisper about what's next on the hero docket?

Give me another female main tank kthx.
    The most logical option would be that dude in the Baptiste story as a main tank. But knowing Blizzard it's just as likely they'll be like "You've all been asking for that lady who blew up Overwatch HQ as a dps so here she is"

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's like two or three folks who are possibilities, like echo is probably going to be a hero at some point. But nothing really specific about this specific release coming up.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Echo has got to be for the next Blizzcon. The branding of being able to play the sexy robot you remember from last time is too good

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    They specifically said that it's not Echo or Sojourn next and that they have something very special in the works for Junker Queen so I'd bet it's not her.

Either the Null Sector Omnic or Mauga.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    IMO smart money is on Mauga. Another shield tank, Talon aligned, and it sounds like all of his abilities have already been set (assuming they don’t diverge too much from the story they put out).

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I still kinda want @Kupi's old Maximilien idea. Not gonna happen, but it sounded really cool (basically, an anti-Zen area control dps who moves like M. Bison's levitation technique, ie standing with his arms crossed, and attacks/debuffs with spikes instead of orbs, so sort of like a robot version of Magneto's film incarnation).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Musicool wrote: »
    Solo healing gives me an aneurysm

I literally don't give a fuck about team comp as long as we have 2 healers. That's how low my standards are in pub queue. Anyone can play as batshit insane comp as they like but if healers can't keep up with babysitting them it won't mean anything

I dunno, 3/2/1 works fine for me as long as the tanks and dps pick enough self-sustaining heroes. Which doesn't just mean having a healing ability. It can mean being a Hammond on a map with lots of megas. Or an Orisa, who, if she's not getting super pressured in CQB, needs almost no healing whatsoever. Or hell, a Widow against a comp that can't dive her. That kinda thing.

It gets tough when the 1 healer is an off-healer, but as a former healer main I'm not going to tell a solo healer what to pick. That's on the 3rd dps to solve - or to shut up and deal with the consequences of their actions. But then I'm not a big fan of 'be the change you want to see in the world'. That's a great way for social leeches to continue behaving badly. For me, it's about reciprocity, having personal limits, and (politely) encouraging change in those leeches when they complain about the problems they created.

Assuming this format is damage/tank/support, then I'm not sure about how I feel about 3/2/1. Everything else being equal, it is certainly better than 4/1/1, but I think 2/2/2 and (my favorite) 3/1/2 are just better, defined as more likely to win without high levels of coordination.

You are right in that it does depend a lot on which heroes are actually chosen. Which is to say, the categories are not very useful (and much less useful than the also-not-great previous offense/defense/tank/support categories).

I hit 1990 SR for a brief shining moment. I could taste the gold placement.

Obviously this is the point where I get three teams in a row that couldn't push their way out of a wet paper bag. Typical!

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    They specifically said that it's not Echo or Sojourn next and that they have something very special in the works for Junker Queen so I'd bet it's not her.

I'd assume junker queen is gonna be an event thing, not a full hero.

Wasn't the "echo not next" hero before baptiste came out though?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »

I'd assume junker queen is gonna be an event thing, not a full hero.

Wasn't the "echo not next" hero before baptiste came out though?

Yes but I think they reiterated that she would not be the next one after that too.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Doesn't the junker queen have lines in the junkertown map? Seems weird to make her a hero. Obviously they can redub that sort of thing with someone else, but it seems like a step they wouldn't have to make if they just used whatever her hero concept would be and made a different character with it.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Did I miss the blow-up over this?
    https://upcomer.com/overwatch/story/1424487/team-envy-ellivote-interview
    Rumours first appeared about the rule change before the mid-season break in mid-May, speculating that the third anniversary event would contain the announcement. According to sources, the date for the eventual change had been delayed several times. At one point, a league official told teams to put the rumours to rest, stating that they were “not considering that for Stage 3, and [they] would closely consult with teams prior to making a major change like that.” Consequently, teams were asked for opinions about the change and its timing in the days following the internal announcement.

Only in early June had the Overwatch League teams been made aware of the rule change that would arrive till the start of stage 4 on July 26th. This leaves teams around six weeks to react to the impending and possibly severe changes to the game.

I might actually start watching again on July 26th.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    What rule change

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Stage 3 has actually had a lot of DPS play. These days, GOATs is mostly used by teams that are good at it.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    What rule change

2-2-2 role lock is rumoured to be coming to OWL in stage 4.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    there's been some scuttlebutt about it over on Reddit, but it was also rumored that it was coming in stage 3, and since that didn't happen I think people are mostly wait-and-see on it right now

personally i'm not a huge fan of role lock at a pro level, just because we've been seeing so many neat comps this stage that aren't 2-2-2. a lot of people think that if it goes into effect, we're just gonna go back to a traditional dive meta. my guess is it'll be dive default, with bunker default on 2CP and hybrid map defenses

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Really wish they would just make TDM and FFA damage category characters, I get so tired of these Roadhog and Moira leeches in the game, it's bad enough with the Reapers.

Or make it a random wheelspin that decides which category you play for a match.

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8abEqSycbpw

I agree with Skyline in this video. Role queue is admitting defeat; and while it will seem like a victory it'll be only a short-term one. Long-term the game will become samey and more boring. And if Blizzard can't find a way to tune Hammond and Hog ((which they will have to) in a way that I still love them then I'll probably join the crowd of people heading for the exit sign. They took my old Hog, Doomfist is less fun, and if they do the same thing to nu-Hog and Hammond I won't have any energy or interest left to find another cool to enjoy this game with.

Also, Skyline blew my mind with his point that the heroes have been more normalised in power level and identity basically from day one. Thinking about the general trajectory of most of the heroes, I can't argue with that point.

So I'm pretty pessimistic about this role queue idea, if it comes to Ranked.

Don't get me wrong, it could easily work in the same sense that LoL's role lock works: making a strategically boring and samey game that admittedly succeeds financially and in the world of esports.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    ynk9fuc5r60l.jpg

Chance on
  • Options
    Honestly I can't agree that the heroes aren't unique enough. They're still more unique than any game I've ever played. Some of them have struggled to find a middle ground between balance and being unfun for the enemy team, like Roadhog, but that's to be expected in a game built around giving everyone really powerful abilities. If anything I think that's the source of the gameplay problems, the heroes are so strongly differentiated that the balance ecosystem becomes really complicated and hard to change.

• Options

Also S76 nerf rifle on the way.

wbowr9s53zhs.jpg

Gamestop exclusive, $130, comes with the visor, preorders open now, available this fall.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »

Also S76 nerf rifle on the way.

wbowr9s53zhs.jpg

Gamestop exclusive, $130, comes with the visor, preorders open now, available this fall.

Ok that's actually pretty awesome. Though I've always enjoyed s76 so im biased. However, that color scheme is terrible.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Zek wrote: »
    Honestly I can't agree that the heroes aren't unique enough. They're still more unique than any game I've ever played. Some of them have struggled to find a middle ground between balance and being unfun for the enemy team, like Roadhog, but that's to be expected in a game built around giving everyone really powerful abilities. If anything I think that's the source of the gameplay problems, the heroes are so strongly differentiated that the balance ecosystem becomes really complicated and hard to change.

Yeah, like the part where the one guy talks about Mercy's former group res ultimate...

There is no special strategy that could be enabled by her ability to bring multiple dead back that wouldn't be completely negated by the fact the other team would also have a mercy to undo whatever advantage your kamikaze brought. The Ultimate was so swingy that Mercy was pretty much a prerequisite for every team, which cut down on comp & strat diversity. It just boiled everything down to "you either kill Mercy first, or eleventh". As much fun as the old ult was for the Mercy players, I can't possibly agree with the assertion that getting rid of it was a mistake.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    If the colors didn't make it look like terrible plastic I'd be more on board with the pulse rifle. Same thing as the Peacekeeper though, bad paint job.

Also GIMME THAT LEGO HAMMY

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    If the colors didn't make it look like terrible plastic I'd be more on board with the pulse rifle. Same thing as the Peacekeeper though, bad paint job.

Also GIMME THAT LEGO HAMMY

The Lego OW blasters have been pretty bad. They can make revolvers but made Mcree a single shot. Ok then.

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Honestly I can't agree that the heroes aren't unique enough. They're still more unique than any game I've ever played. Some of them have struggled to find a middlegroundbetween balance and being unfun for the enemy team, like Roadhog, but that's to be expected in a game built around giving everyone really powerful abilities. If anything I think that's the source of the gameplay problems, the heroes are so strongly differentiated that the balance ecosystem becomes really complicated and hard to change.

Yeah, like the part where the one guy talks about Mercy's former group res ultimate...

There is no special strategy that could be enabled by her ability to bring multiple dead back that wouldn't be completely negated by the fact the other team would also have a mercy to undo whatever advantage your kamikaze brought. The Ultimate was so swingy that Mercy was pretty much a prerequisite for every team, which cut down on comp & strat diversity. It just boiled everything down to "you either kill Mercy first, or eleventh". As much fun as the old ult was for the Mercy players, I can't possibly agree with the assertion that getting rid of it was a mistake.

I agree with you that Mercy Rez was a bad example. I think that OG Hog is a better one, for instance.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    What was old Roadhog like? I'm relatively new, so I'm unfamiliar with how the character used to be, but I have tons of fun with him now and he's my second most-played character after Wrecking Ball.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    his hook was a teleportation spell, for one thing

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    It was awesome.

Basically Hook-combo was instakill vs non-tanks and the hook didn't break just because enemy moved behind cover.
    You could also hook drop people behind you.

Downside was that he couldn't move while healing himself back then.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    And heal didn't reduce damage taken. So he's standing still huffing for 300hp and in that time I could stand in front of him as Tracer and empty 480 damage into his dome.

Good times.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    jammu wrote: »
    It was awesome.

Basically Hook-combo was instakill vs non-tanks and the hook didn't break just because enemy moved behind cover.
    You could also hook drop people behind you.

Downside was that he couldn't move while healing himself back then.

To elaborate: this isn't exact math, but the Scrap Gun had the same amount of damage per clip, but had one less shot and a lower refire rate. That meant that individual shots of the Scrap Gun were major kill threats for 200-HP characters. Furthermore, the hook stunned for a fraction of a second longer and left the victim closer to Roadhog, so they were more likely to eat the full Scrap Gun shot.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Jeff needs to start giving us coins for everytime a Hamster yells "Follow me" as they are already 3/4 the way behind enemy lines while 3 or more teammates are still skulls.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    First a moment of pity for this poor Ham whose teammates refuse to follow him.

Second, when half your team is dead is the correct time to flank - no enemy would suspect it!

Third, I prefer to list things up to at least three points. So there's that.

This discussion has been closed.