As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How should public figures atone for past bad acts?

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Basically, white liberal America hates being confronted with the possibility that merely being liberal doesn’t absolve us from the part we play in our society’s racism.

Whites aren't the only racists out there, nor are they the only ones preserving systemic racism, so this is a dumb metric by which to measure things. It also has nothing to do with the subject of the thread, which is about individual actions.

I have zero interest in divorcing individual actions from the extremely relevant context in which they occur

Good luck with that, then.

People make up the system. You change the system by changing the people, not the other way around. Engaging in this strange, self-flagellation meets white mans burden type stuff is exactly how you lose people willing to listen.

You not only lose people willing to listen. You lose good people with non-spotless pasts willing to even try.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Basically, white liberal America hates being confronted with the possibility that merely being liberal doesn’t absolve us from the part we play in our society’s racism.

Whites aren't the only racists out there, nor are they the only ones preserving systemic racism, so this is a dumb metric by which to measure things. It also has nothing to do with the subject of the thread, which is about individual actions.

I have zero interest in divorcing individual actions from the extremely relevant context in which they occur

People make up the system. You change the system by changing the people, not the other way around. Engaging in this strange, self-flagellation meets white mans burden type stuff is exactly how you lose people willing to listen.

You not only lose people willing to listen. You lose good people with non-spotless pasts willing to even try.

You also make it pretty much impossible to change anything on the ground level because you make ordinary people, who really need to examine their unconscious/unknowing participation in oppressive systems, even more defiant.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

“If you don’t engage on my terms I won’t listen” is another one straight out of the abusive manipulation playbook

• Options
    Feral wrote: »

You also make it pretty much impossible to change anything on the ground level because you make ordinary people, who really need to examine their unconscious/unknowing participation in oppressive systems, even more defiant.

You’re not making a great case that these are good people who genuinely regret their mistakes.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

“If you don’t engage on my terms I won’t listen” is another one straight out of the abusive manipulation playbook

This is certainly an approach to seeking social change

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

You can see very clearly how well liberals have learned the subtle ways to maintain the systems that benefit them while nominally being against them.

Conditional allyship is not allyship.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Also, Nancy Pelosi's strategy for the past government shutdown. I feel like identifying something out of a playbook is not enough to really be a good rebuttal for this argument. It's like identifying a logical fallacy... it doesn't really meaningfully engage anything without discussion and context. I'm not denying that abusers also do stuff like that! But so do non-abusers.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

How is this functionally different from "If you're not perfect you can't lead us"?

Zero tolerance is dumb and doesn't work.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

You can see very clearly how well liberals have learned the subtle ways to maintain the systems that benefit them while nominally being against them.

Conditional allyship is not allyship.

"Engage on my terms if you want my attention" is abuser behavior when its take to extremes but its also human nature. If you want people to listen to you you have to approach them from angles they're receptive to and that goes far beyond just the subject to hand.

I'm not sure where liberalism got the idea that you can browbeat people into real meaningful change but its....yeah

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Also, Nancy Pelosi's strategy for the past government shutdown. I feel like identifying something out of a playbook is not enough to really be a good rebuttal for this argument. It's like identifying a logical fallacy... it doesn't really meaningfully engage anything without discussion and context. I'm not denying that abusers also do stuff like that! But so do non-abusers.

Nancy Pelosi was appropriately using a situation in which she had power over him.

We are talking about a situation in which people abused power they should never have had.

“I just won’t listen then” has always been how liberal America threatens the underprivileged when it turns out that fixing problems might actually cost liberal America something.

• Options

How is this functionally different from "If you're not perfect you can't lead us"?

There is a gap between “perfect” and “has committed certain acts.”

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

You’re not making a great case that these are good people who genuinely regret their mistakes.

Because they don't, yet. They don't understand race the same way. They aren't woke.

Becoming woke means you realize that you've done problematic shit in the past and you need to do better.

If we create a situation where the only way to do that, regardless of the context of the situation*, is to quit your job and quietly walk into the sea, nobody is going to do the introspective or active work necessary to become woke.

* - The context here isn't limited to the historical context, but also the timeframe and nature of the offense.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

Who get's to decide the certain acts? What about tomorrow's certain acts?

Given these people don't have time machines, how are they to know the "certain acts" a decade or more in advance?

Especially since what "certain acts" means can change and isn't articulated clearly by anyone.

• Options

Because they don't, yet. They don't understand race the same way. They aren't woke.

Becoming woke means you realize that you've done problematic shit in the past and you need to do better.

If we create a situation where the only way to do that, regardless of the context of the situation*, is to quit your job and quietly walk into the sea, nobody is going to do the introspective or active work necessary to become woke.

* - The context here isn't limited to the historical context, but also the timeframe and nature of the offense.

And if we create a situation where there is an option to do it that involves no voluntarily relinquishment of power, power will never leave the hands of those who have it disproportionately.

• Options
    edited February 2019

Who get's to decide the certain acts? What about tomorrow's certain acts?

Given these people don't have time machines, how are they to know the "certain acts" a decade or more in advance?

Especially since what "certain acts" means can change and isn't articulated clearly by anyone.

I don’t know how someone can look at our current society and think a world where people give up power when social mores advance past their generation wouldn’t be a wonderously desirable thing.

If it turns out that 30 years from now, generation post-z shows me that I’m doing something awful, by all means I hope they take over

Inkstain82 on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    I think that in addition to current behavior / policy informing how an individual might have changed since their 'pre woke period', discoveries of private prejudices can inform suspicions over whether an individuals stated wokeness may be performative

The argument, from the “pro throw the bums out” side is that this will lead to an increase in performative anti-racism and this is good.

The thing is, we shouldnt care if anti-racism is performative or not. Because what is in a persons heart doesnt matter what they do matters. Performative anti-racism is just as good as performative racism is bad. It perpetuates the themes and ideas for those that see them, lets other people know what is and isnt OK. It teaches children to be on either side of the divide.

But past deeds do not let current people know what is and isnt OK. People dont think “ahh he did that 30 years ago therefore its OK to do it now!” unless the person who did the things doesn't acknowledge the current proper acceptance of what the act was.

But not acknowledging the current proper accpetance is not a “past deed”. That is a current.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

And if we create a situation where there is an option to do it that involves no voluntarily relinquishment of power, power will never leave the hands of those who have it disproportionately.

The word "power" here is doing a lot of work and covers a lot of stuff.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

It sure does. And yet that’s what this is ultimately about

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Yes, because if there's one thing we've learned, it's that continually punishing someone for their entire life for past acts always works out for the better.

I'm having trouble parsing the difference between this and other <insert term here> purity standards.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

It sure does. And yet that’s what this is ultimately about

If there's any nuance in its application I'm not seeing it.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Yes, because if there's one thing we've learned, it's that continually punishing someone for their entire life for past acts always works out for the better.

I'm having trouble parsing the difference between this and other <insert term here> purity standards.

If we insist on framing “disqualified from certain privileged” as punishment, then yes it does work pretty well.

Last I checked, Stephen Glass isn’t a working journalist and will never be admitted to the bar. Works for me.

• Options

because there isn't.

• Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    I think that in addition to current behavior / policy informing how an individual might have changed since their 'pre woke period', discoveries of private prejudices can inform suspicions over whether an individuals stated wokeness may be performative

The argument, from the “pro throw the bums out” side is that this will lead to an increase in performative anti-racism and this is good.

The thing is, we shouldnt care if anti-racism is performative or not. Because what is in a persons heart doesnt matter what they do matters. Performative anti-racism is just as good as performative racism is bad. It perpetuates the themes and ideas for those that see them, lets other people know what is and isnt OK. It teaches children to be on either side of the divide.

But past deeds do not let current people know what is and isnt OK. People dont think “ahh he did that 30 years ago therefore its OK to do it now!” unless the person who did the things doesn't acknowledge the current proper acceptance of what the act was.

But not acknowledging the current proper accpetance is not a “past deed”. That is a current.

Performative anti-racism is really good providing reasonable-sounding concessions while simultaneously protecting the rest of the unjust status quo

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

If we insist on framing “disqualified from certain privileged” as punishment, then yes it does work pretty well.

Last I checked, Stephen Glass isn’t a working journalist and will never be admitted to the bar. Works for me.

You make no distinction on anything so I'm having trouble following this line of thought.

First it's generalities about "white people holding up the system" (when people of all ages, races, and genders hold up whatever system it is you're talking about), then it's zero tolerance towards anyone who ever does anything stupid in their youth.

Yeah. I gotta say I disagree pretty much with everything you said, and it's only because it seems to be wide-swung generalities and it's nearly impossible to glean any kind of useful info or discussion out of this.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    We are talking about a situation in which people abused power they should never have had.

No, we are not

Edit: to be clear we are talking about people doing “currently socially unacceptable things” multiple decades ago.

We are not talking about people abusing the power of the office they wield.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

I'm not sure how society benefits from denying Glass the ability to practice law in California 20~ years later

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

There are also a somewhat sizable collection of people who take their civil service very seriously and, while they may not entirely personally agree with it, uphold the law and make it better and much more fair for everyone. Even if they're personally taking the stance of "I don't really care for those colored folks" they may not necessarily step in the way of a law or fight against it in the same way a nazi might.

We need these shades of gray because otherwise we alienate allies because they're not sufficiently woke and not the perfect people. They'll probably eventually come around. But the absolute worst thing we can do is yell at them and tell them they're the problem. They kind of are. But like feral said doing that just radicalizes them against you, not for you. And suddenly you've got fascists in positions of power because your enemies don't give a shit about morals and don't have this same, very misguided, righteous indignation that you might have.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Performative anti-racism is really good providing reasonable-sounding concessions while simultaneously protecting the rest of the unjust status quo

Bullshit. Protecting injustice isnt performative anti-racism its substantive racism.

Edit: specifically in the context of the discussion. “Performative” refers to something done to show that youre not x when you actually are x. I dont care why people dont do racist things i care that they dont do racist things.

But if you do! Then you should still be on the side of “leave the buns in” because prior acts have no informative value as to current heart status

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

The thing is that we generally take performative racism (blackface) as a warning that someone is doing more impactful racism (writing or supporting a Tough On Crime or Welfare Reform bill). If someone performs anti-racism by co-opting social justice language but has a history of working to reproduce white supremacy, their woke words shouldn't protect them from judgment.

• Options

Bullshit. Protecting injustice isnt performative anti-racism its substantive racism.

You don't see how making a big show out of being anti-racist is often used to paper over one's own racism?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

No, we are not

Edit: to be clear we are talking about people doing “currently socially unacceptable things” multiple decades ago.

We are not talking about people abusing the power of the office they wield.

Social power is power too. We are talking about the ways social privileged maintain themselves at the expense of others.

The harm done isn’t just in the laws that are or not written by governments. The trans suicide rate isnt fueled just by bathroom laws, but also by overt acts of transphobia across society.

• Options

The thing is that we generally take performative racism (blackface) as a warning that someone is doing more impactful racism (writing or supporting a Tough On Crime or Welfare Reform bill). If someone performs anti-racism by co-opting social justice language but has a history of working to reproduce white supremacy, their woke words shouldn't protect them from judgment.

Who's judgment?

Yours?

Who do we assign to be moral arbiter of past-deeds?

• Options
    Maybe you should take whatever someones current support of an issue as ehat their current support of an issue is rather than what you want to imagine it might be based on who you think they are from a snapshot of them 30 years ago.

Lets avoid specifics as well. I dont want to have to rehash the politics of the 90s with people who think they were the 2010s again

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    If people who have done bad things in the past should feel obligated to support oppressed groups in order to atone, doesn't that imply that people who haven't done anything overtly bad shouldn't feel obligated to bother, since they don't need atonement?

I'm much more in favor of the idea that a good person is someone who does good things in the present, regardless of what they've done in the past. Past misbehavior can be a warning sign that the person might still feel or behave the same way in the present, but it ultimately doesn't matter to what a person is really like now.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

You don't see how making a big show out of being anti-racist is often used to paper over one's own racism?

And to deflate and co-opt grassroots political action (BLM, #MeToo)

• Options
    edited February 2019

I think the idea that performative racism is a warning for “more impactful racism” is something we want to believe as an alternative to the idea that we are all doing the racism all the time because we are a racist society.

Inkstain82 on
  • Options

Who's judgment?

Yours?

The most scary part of this line of thought is that because society is hopefully progressing to a better and more just place the definitions will continually change so we need to ask human beings to have the foresight to see all possible errors and avoid them lest they be ineligible for public service. Something we, as a society, should encourage.

• Options

Who's judgment?

Yours?

You're welcome to listen to me on these matters, sure.

• Options

You dont see how

A: that isnt what performative racism means in this discussion.

B: i dont care what is in your heart i care what you do. If someone never does a racist thing in their life i dont care that they secretly hate the x’s

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

And to deflate and co-opt grassroots political action (BLM, #MeToo)

*wheels in giant white board titled White Liberalism 1980-2010 Greatest Hits*

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg