As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So I might join in on this

Quick question, tho: I preferred PUBG to Fortnite's gameplay, which felt just gummy and light and inconsequential. How does this stack up to a non-cheater-filled PUBG match, and should I give it a shot?

The gameplay/gunplay feels really good in AP. If you've played any of the older IW produced CoD games, this game is made up by that old team. So it's closer in feeling to that than, say, PUBG is to something like CS: GO or R6 Siege in terms of "realness". That's not the most accurate comparison, but yeah.

Undead Monkey on
    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I haven't played the Titanfall games but the guns in this sound and feel pretty great. The sound especially is awesome.

Just know that there are no real world guns in this game, or guns that have a direct parallel to real world counterpart. There is nothing that closely resembles an AK-47 or M4 or whatever.

The archetypes are there: pistols, shotguns, ARs, SMGs, LMGs, sniper rifles, but they are very sci-fi and stylized. They still feel really meaty and fun to shoot, though.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    This has the Titanfall hitsound, which pitches up as the target is more hurt, but lacks the Titanfall killsound climax

VRXwDW7.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Yeah I was hoping for something with some real meat on its bones, where firefights felt explosive as opposed to glowing peashooter contests.

I really did not enjoy Fortnite. It felt too pew-pew to me. I wanted something that would rattle my teeth.

jungleroomx on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Team dropped into a real bad spot and was promptly slaughtered when they forgot this wasn't their Call of Duties. Decided, as in Hearthstone, 1-Hit Point matters and ran. Team dropped before I could grab beacon. Managed to come in 3rd after with a few kills.

Also 8K streamers on PS4. I mean FN has 30K but it's FN.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    edited February 2019
    ED! wrote: »
    Team dropped into a real bad spot and was promptly slaughtered when they forgot this wasn't their Call of Duties. Decided, as in Hearthstone, 1-Hit Point matters and ran. Team dropped before I could grab beacon. Managed to come in 3rd after with a few kills.

Also 8K streamers on PS4. I mean FN has 30K but it's FN.

I wish the game would emphasize more the respawn mechanic and how integral it is to the identity of this game. Or maybe some people need instant gratification and a quicker fix and just don't care.

If nothing else, your account leveling is affected by time in game and also fully completing a match (win or lose). I mean damn, people, you're giving up all the loot box shinies by leaving early!

Undead Monkey on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'll admit, when I play with a friend and third random, sometimes we'll drop. Not always, but if the teammate runs off and does their own thing, clearly ignoring pings, etc. Yeah, I'll leave. But that's why it best to play in a full squad. Tbh this is one of the few games a lot of my IRL friends have hopped on, since it's free. This game is stealing away a lot of Fortnite players.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    This fills a fun spot. Fortnite is too hardcore for me. Like every fight becomes a Starcraft level intense APM built fest that even when I’m decent is just too stressful

This has some intense moments but nothing too stressful compared to big Fortnite build fights

616610-1.png
    edited February 2019
    My friend described his frustrations with Fortnite perfectly.

"Whenever I shoot someone, they turn into a mansion."

As someone who, like him, just wants to get in fun and engaging gunfights, not build offs, this is exactly how I feel as well.

Because nothing says engaging like shooting at buildings.

Undead Monkey on
    That's why I've always liked PUBG, it's more 'realistic' and rewarding to play but, it's a trash fire in terms of stability and network coding. It's been long said that if something similar to PUBG came about with just a better framework/less horseshit, it'd be left behind.

I really like PUBG and have it on both consoles, but now with this game around, I'm not sure I need to put up the jank anymore.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I caught a win today. Had a good squad and we got pinned down between 3 other squads. One was coming up behind us so I just beast moded as Bloodhound and went in guns blazing while the team followed, then the ring spawned on top of us so the other two squads had to come in on us and we rocked em. I love when this game just clicks.

That's why I've always liked PUBG, it's more 'realistic' and rewarding to play but, it's a trash fire in terms of stability and network coding. It's been long said that if something similar to PUBG came about with just a better framework/less horseshit, it'd be left behind.

I really like PUBG and have it on both consoles, but now with this game around, I'm not sure I need to put up the jank anymore.

Like I think a lot of people, PUBG was my first BR. I don't know if a game can ever replicate the initial experience and sense of urgency/intensity I felt when I started playing. So I owe the game a lot.

But I'm like you. The jankiness is just so frustrating. And what's worse is the optimization. Why can I play a game like Apex, or R6 Siege, or Overwatch, or etc. on high-ultra settings with no problems, but I can't play a game that isn't very graphically impressive like PUBG on very low without still having my GPU run at volcanic temperatures and suffer frame drops?

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    PUBG abd h1z1 both bored me. The movement and Ttk in this allow for more fun engagements than see someone first shoot someone

And of course the hero abilities. Wraith allowing for an entire team to get out of a jam is fun

The banner reviving keeps me from worrying too hard about being overly aggressive the way Fortnite would. I’d be scared to ever challenge a 1v1 in Fortnite early because what if I lose and now I’m out all match? Ugh. Now my buddies can bring me back so if I trade or take 2on1 it’s a benifit

616610-1.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Like I think a lot of people, PUBG was my first BR. I don't know if a game can ever replicate the initial experience and sense of urgency/intensity I felt when I started playing. So I owe the game a lot.

But I'm like you. The jankiness is just so frustrating. And what's worse is the optimization. Why can I play a game like Apex, or R6 Siege, or Overwatch, or etc. on high-ultra settings with no problems, but I can't play a game that isn't very graphically impressive like PUBG on very low without still having my GPU run at volcanic temperatures and suffer frame drops?

Ditto.

The problem with PUBG isn't the idea, it's the horrible execution. And not even from a design standpoint, as far as gameplay... it's from the extremely amateurish/lazy coding they decided to use. Just jank. Pure jank.

Also the fact that running in high settings puts you at a disadvantage, even if it's at 144 fps.

I'm looking forward to checking this out after work, and I'll probably have some time with my upcoming 5 day minivacation.

jungleroomx on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    First win! Got it with randos and one of them even DC'd halfway through. I had a flatline and a longbow, fully kitted out, longbow had a golden scope. We landed in the circle of super good loot at the start and were totally alone, and then blazed a path through the game. When the one guy DC'd, me and other dude hid in some bushes until there were three teams, then engaged them while they were fighting. I definitely feel like I got more than one kill, but I also did an assload of damage. Longbow is fantastic.

OdSQfcp.png

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Idk, I think I prefer the shorter TTK in PUBG. Compared to this, PUBG has more emphasis on positioning because you die so quickly that if you get a jump on someone, they're probably gonna die. In Apex, though, even if you get the jump on somebody, if they're better at shooting than you are, they can just turn around and kill you. And I am not good at shooting, but I'm ok at positioning.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I personally find flanking to be absolutely critical in this game because long range gun fights are generally inconsequential due to how durable people are.

Plus the shields and ttk ensure that you can make flank runs without dying to a stray bullet.

Getting angles where you can sustain fire on someone is key.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I can't begin to express how disappointed I am that I bounced the way I did here.

https://clips.twitch.tv/EasyFurrySkirretNotATK

So close =\.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Are whatever the servers that the East coast US would connect to usually this buggy or am i just having a string of bad luck? Because I haven't been able t do anything but the training and run 1 match.

steam_sig.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Are whatever the servers that the East coast US would connect to usually this buggy or am i just having a string of bad luck? Because I haven't been able t do anything but the training and run 1 match.

Servers have been surprisingly stable since launch but seem to be getting fucked today

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    It's the first weekend since it launched, it's probably the most players they've had so far on at once

Yeah can't even get in. I'll go do some Warframe for a bit and see if it clears up

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I personally find flanking to be absolutely critical in this game because long range gun fights are generally inconsequential due to how durable people are.

Plus the shields and ttk ensure that you can make flank runs without dying to a stray bullet.

Yeah games like PUBG are all about getting line of sight and sniping. Whereas sniping in this game is actually sort of bad. For better or worse, it rewards movement and skirmishing skills much more.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    vamen wrote: »
    I can't begin to express how disappointed I am that I bounced the way I did here.

https://clips.twitch.tv/EasyFurrySkirretNotATK

So close =\.

You can have some amazing moments as Pathfinder. I dived the supply ship with some randoms and there was another squad that missed but for one of them but he got to the gun first while one of my teammates grabbed the ammo. So they're running around trying to find the other half of what they need when the other guy finds the shotgun shells he needed.

I grappled onto one of the support struts and then jump kicked him off the edge at the end of it just as he turned around to shoot us.

I died when we both hit the ground since he had a shotgun and I didn't, but that didn't stop me from yelling "GET OFF MY PLANE!" as we fell.

Kelor on
    Zek wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Yeah games like PUBG are all about getting line of sight and sniping. Whereas sniping in this game is actually sort of bad. For better or worse, it rewards movement and skirmishing skills much more.

Yeah, I feel like sniping in this game is more about taxing resources via forcing them to use shield rechargers and meds, and/or to push on people as they hide to use said rechargers and meds.

Rarely have I actually downed or been downed at long range, and even then without pressure you can usually just shield behind cover and get rezzed.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    In pubg high ground is risky. The more you can see means that more can see you. At any time you can be insta-killed by a sniper headshot or have most all of your health chunked off by a body shot. Silhouting yourselves against the skyline is one of the greatest sins. Any high ground advantage is completely forfeit if an opponent below you can get off one to three clean shots, often within a time window of less than a second.

That threat's virtually not present in Apex since players are significantly more resilient and mobile. It's pretty much pure upside since if anyone below you starts shooting at you, then you can withdraw to the safe side of the ridgeline to patch up. Then it's a slugging match with you having superior cover.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    Apparently I'm one of the lucky many nVidia owners who's getting a crash to desktop on this game.

Soooooo I guess I'm going to wait for a driver update. God damnit.

Yeah, I dunno if sniping is bad so much as camping is; the movement and abilities in this game encourage you to be moving, and it's really hard to Snipe while on the move. That being said, it's nice to have long range stuff if the circle ends with no cover or buildings

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    My neohew, who's a huge fortnite fan, is in love with this. He called me.multiple times last night to play it, and wants to rotate characters with me while he's over here today.

So this game may be a winner. I've even come around on it after playing it with him. It's an enjoyable experience with a friend and nice bonding time with him.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Yeah, I dunno if sniping is bad so much as camping is; the movement and abilities in this game encourage you to be moving, and it's really hard to Snipe while on the move. That being said, it's nice to have long range stuff if the circle ends with no cover or buildings

I mentioned this a few pages back, but me and my nephew came in 2nd place in and match just because we realized this. We were getting plinaked by a sniper when I remembered I'm robot dude with a shot gun. Zip lined in, nephew followed, smashed face, and won the proceeding firefight. We didn't even realize it was close to the end.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Apparently I'm one of the lucky many nVidia owners who's getting a crash to desktop on this game.

Have you enabled text to speech? Seems to be the cause for some crashes

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Fuck I keep forgetting to use my ultimate with Bangalore...its good for flushing out camp spots.

edited February 2019

Have you enabled text to speech? Seems to be the cause for some crashes

This is a bigger issue than just Apex Legends. Apparently the nVidia drivers for the RTX cards are kind of confuckulated at the moment across the board.

I got similar crashes in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I've watched the temps and I never get above 75C, there's no overclock, and I've got a 600W power supply which should be more than enough for this card and cpu combo (Doing really generous calculations I landed at 450W). I've gotten "insufficient resources" and something about a bad call.

I've seen huge threads of people complaining about the same issues. Removing the 418.22 drivers didn't seem to fix it for me at all, so I'm kinda stuck.

Funny I can play DX:MD with really high settings for 3-4 hours and nothing, but I get into Apex Legends and the drivers eat shit during the matchmaking screen.

jungleroomx on
    In pubg high ground is risky. The more you can see means that more can see you. At any time you can be insta-killed by a sniper headshot or have most all of your health chunked off by a body shot. Silhouting yourselves against the skyline is one of the greatest sins. Any high ground advantage is completely forfeit if an opponent below you can get off one to three clean shots, often within a time window of less than a second.

That threat's virtually not present in Apex since players are significantly more resilient and mobile. It's pretty much pure upside since if anyone below you starts shooting at you, then you can withdraw to the safe side of the ridgeline to patch up. Then it's a slugging match with you having superior cover.

To add to this:

There is no fall damage and you get a massive speed boost if you slide down slopes, so high ground is just great all around. Great for fighting and re-positioning from.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Got my first 1st place win...not gonna lie when you get teammates who don't just run off as soon as the round starts this shit is fun.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I might pour money into this game just due to the diversity of the characters. LIke....holy cow....this is probably a first.

I might pour money into this game just due to the diversity of the characters. LIke....holy cow....this is probably a first.

Me too. I'm seriously considering getting the founders pack because it's only $10 more than buying 2000 premium currency, and you get 3 sets of pretty sweet skins on top of that.

• WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    Just killed 2 people with my foot and chased another all over hell and back kicking them in the back whenever I got the chance. This game rules.

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
    edited February 2019
    Okay let's see if there's an actual problem or if I'm just an idiot.

Edit: kinda looking like I'm an idiot.

jungleroomx on