As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Lovitz or Leave It

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Conceptually I'd love a big AAA Iron Man game

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Conceptually I'd love a big AAA Iron Man game

He seems like the obvious next hero to get the Batman/Spider-man treatment.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I wanna say there have been several games in development at some point where you play Iron Man. Most of them got canned.

I know there's that GTA IV mod where you can play as Iron Man, though. Fly around the city, shoot laser beams at cars, etc.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I mean there's teh Xbox 360 Iron Man game....
    https://youtu.be/yBYUuCtJMns

• Options
    Dark Void isn't a particularly good game, but you do get a cool jetpack.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    The Iron Man mods for GTA 4 and 5 are pretty legit.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    "Breaking Brad: The Student... Becomes the Master"

What's this, I wonder.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    "Breaking Brad: The Student... Becomes the Master"

What's this, I wonder.

They're going to play Shadow Warrior 1 & 2.

• Options
    qjii3t21u7a1.png

Is that the Dead Space guy in the thumbnail? I know Rorie talked about wanting to play Dead Space 3 recently

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Thumbnail didn't show up on mobile. Interesting.

• Options
    That's from QLCrew, which just pulls the image from the URL since the GB website obscures the thumbnail with text.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    That's not Dead Space, that's Titanfall 2. Left is the player character Jack Cooper, right is his titan BT.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    That’s him trying to get in the top three on the training mission in titanfall 2.

Which is rough

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    That tutorial level is so good

(I mean, he could also just watch one of the many incredible demonstrations uploaded on YouTube, at which point it simply becomes a test of mechanical execution

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    From what I understand it's way easier on kbam.

Getting that time on console is rough, you need really good dual stick movement to line up shots while keeping momentum

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Also, incredibly liberal use of grenades helps reduce some of the need for Quake-like precision aiming while movingand just makes targeting hidden enemies less of a pain

• Options
    So it's a time trial thing? That doesn't seem particularly Breaking for Brad. I'm used to him trying to beat something like a Soulsborne or DOOM2

steam_sig.png

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Boy Jeff did a really good job steering me away from Anthem. I wasn't going to buy it now anyway, but damn. I basically blame EA, I'm sure they wanted this thing out the door as soon as possible, content be damned. And if they completely cannibalize BioWare as a result... well fuck them.

We've seen games like these make big turn arounds. The Division. Siege. It can be done with time and care, and BioWare has done it before with TOR. I think they can do it again, but EA doesn't seem to have that kind of patience anymore. I'd like Anthem to be good and successful, for the very simple reason that rooting for games to be bad is stupid, and the more good games, the better.

I am hoping we can say some really positive things about this game 6 months down the line.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I mean, the game isn’t without value and there’s definitely fun to be had if you appropriately set your expectations. Like launch Destiny and the Division, there are a lot of people having fun despite all of the structural issues that will hopefully be addressed over time.

Jeff gets a bit carried away sometimes in ways that remove any room for constructive conversation or opposing views. With the position he was taking here Jason was in a position where he almost came off as embarrassed to actually being enjoying the game. Jason was right that Jeff was being more than a little hyperbolic when he said that BioWare “utterly failed” on delivering on the iron man power fantasy. All I can think about when I’m playing is how awesome Anthem is at making me feel that way, utterly powerful, in ways that I almost feel like I must be playing a different game than he is.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Everything Jeff said is on point, but I'm still nterested in Anthem

Something makes me wonder if EA is actually going to commit to long term support for this game if it doesn't do the business they need it to right out of the gate though

And that's the real issue -- Bioware had numerous examples of bungled launches for loot shooters to look at, and somehow, they appear to have taken precisely zero lessons from them. It makes me wonder if (much like their last two games) they were in another life-or-death struggle with the Frostbite engine again, and they were only really able to devote time to getting the moment-to-moment gameplay working and had to scrub a lot of their mission design and loot plans before launch

I mean when Jeff said he thought Destiny 1 at launch was a better game, that felt like a scathing indictment

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Figures. I settle in for a little Giant Bomb while under the influence, and their website is down for maintenance.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    The problems that Anthem has currently are also exacerbated by the way critics and reviewers tend to play and experience games these days. Episodic content tends to not fair as well since it’s harder for those groups to block off more time in the indeterminate future that could be devoted to other releases, and playing all of the content in one huge go usually makes the smaller bug/ inconveniences (like having 8 load screens to do basically anything) grate that much harder. I don’t think this will kill BioWare, but EA is definitely doing them dirty by releasing this the way they did.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm playing a completely different Anthem than Jeff. Yeah, the game has problems but it's also a lot of fun. Maybe once I complete the story and reach the gear grind I'll feel differently. For now though the $15 I spent for Origin Access feels like money well spent. I may find that after a month I've had my fill and can pick the game up at a discount come March when the first episode drops.

I wonder what class Jeff played. They all play very very differently and offer a lot of variety on how you approach encounters and use the powers. Good chance he played Ranger which is by far the least interesting class (pretty much generic shooty man with guns and grenades). As an Interceptor I rarely if ever use my guns. It's all about using my powers to creating explosions with primers and detonators and zipping all over the place melee attacking. It's incredibly fast paced and kinetic. As a Storm you raid down proverbial hellfire from above setting up primers for teammates or doing the nuking yourself. I have not had a chance to play Colossus yet but everything I've read sounds like it's great.

The Devs have been extremely open about the issues with the game, and honestly feel like they're dedicated to making things better as soon as possible. They're active on the Anthem Reddit and on other social media, and they seem to be taking to heart the complaints the community has.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I don’t think you get to keep playing the game after the early access period without paying for the full game. Could be wrong though.

Edit: Yeah after checking around, you basically paid $15 for a very-nearly-done beta/demo of Anthem. If you don’t pay $60 ($54? I think there is a 10% discount) for the full game, you’ll be locked out on Friday.

ronzo on
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Jeff is definitely drawn more to the guns then the powers - possibly from not just finding powers that really felt fun or just because the dude likes guns - and the guns really aren't exciting - a little better once you get to masterworks but still not really - especially compared to other loot shooters - so I get where he is coming from.

And I mean he's right - you have a bunch of mobility powers compared to other loot shooters but most of the time using them doesn't actually empower your shooting or powers - it's just kinda fun - and that'll wear off eventually.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    I don’t think you get to keep playing the game after the early access period without paying for the full game. Could be wrong though.

Edit: Yeah after checking around, you basically paid $15 for a very-nearly-done beta/demo of Anthem. If you don’t pay $60 ($54? I think there is a 10% discount) for the full game, you’ll be locked out on Friday.

That's not how it worked for any other EA game on Origin Access Premium? Like I can go play Battlefield V or Sims 4 or what have you right now AFAIK

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Even despite the trouble I’ve been having with Anthem, Jeff is just straight up exaggerating. He didn’t want to find anything redeemable in it, this isn’t super uncommon for him to do. I can’t help but compare his Anthem reaction to how much milder he is about Crackdown - which looks like a 25% finished first batch 360 game. Both games available through fifteen dollar subs, which in Crackdowns case was super mitigating but they didn’t say shit about wrt Anthem.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »

That's not how it worked for any other EA game on Origin Access Premium? Like I can go play Battlefield V or Sims 4 or what have you right now AFAIK

Never mind my earlier comment, you’re right.

Fuck this naming convention though, or trying to search for info about it on a phone.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Honk wrote: »
    Even despite the trouble I’ve been having with Anthem, Jeff is just straight up exaggerating. He didn’t want to find anything redeemable in it, this isn’t super uncommon for him to do. I can’t help but compare his Anthem reaction to how much milder he is about Crackdown - which looks like a 25% finished first batch 360 game. Both games available through fifteen dollar subs, which in Crackdowns case was super mitigating but they didn’t say shit about wrt Anthem.

There are reasons for people to have game pass if they already own an Xbox outside of crackdown, this might be the first and only thing someone might be downloading origin for (it certainly was for me, and would be the only game I’d have on the launcher if not for Apex). Also, the access program for unlimited play doesn’t exist on the Xbox, and doesn’t exist at all on PlayStation.

The game being available for $15 is only on PC

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Jeff called Crackdown 3 "mediocre" "boring" and "not good" and literally said if you already have gamepass then maybe check it out because it won't cost anything, but otherwise it's not even worth the $10 to subscribe to gamepass in the first place.

That's a terrible recommendation, no matter how you slice it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

There are reasons for people to have game pass if they already own an Xbox outside of crackdown, this might be the first and only thing someone might be downloading origin for (it certainly was for me, and would be the only game I’d have on the launcher if not for Apex). Also, the access program for unlimited play doesn’t exist on the Xbox, and doesn’t exist at all on PlayStation.

Didn’t know it was only pc but it’s still available for 15 at any rate though. You’re mistaken in an earlier post btw - it doesn’t stop being playable through origin subscription on Friday. And while it doesn’t have the same library as gamepass there’s not zero reason to have EA access... they do have quite a few games.

• Options
    edited February 2019

Jeff called Crackdown 3 "mediocre" "boring" and "not good" and literally said if you already have gamepass then maybe check it out because it won't cost anything, but otherwise it's not even worth the $10 to subscribe to gamepass in the first place.

That's a terrible recommendation, no matter how you slice it.

At least as far as the quick look goes he’s still saying I guess check it out if you have gamepass and I did like these things about it. Then for Anthem you can all but hear him boil and the vitriol is fully engaged from the start.

Honk on
  • Options
    He’s free to do whatever he wants but it’s getting kind of old to me.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Meanwhile I played Anthem and I think it fucking sucked and Jeff is right

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Didn’t know it was only pc but it’s still available for 15 at any rate though. You’re mistaken in an earlier post btw - it doesn’t stop being playable through origin subscription on Friday. And while it doesn’t have the same library as gamepass there’s not zero reason to have EA access... they do have quite a few games.

I said I was wrong about Premier in the post above the one you've quoted here.

I went and looked at info on Xbox Game Pass, and it appears to only be $10 a month, and includes games from a variety of different publishers, not just Microsoft, or MS-affiliated studios.

My personal opinion is that there are going to a much larger number of people who have gamepass because they primarly game on the console, and see it as a rather cheap way to expand their library. They're already there and invested on the platform, what's another 10 bucks, basically. For the PC, the giantbomb guys discuss regularly how X is a gateway drug into getting people to install Y storefront (see Fortnite, Epic).

ronzo on
  • Options
    Oh man, if you have problems watching someone have difficult with solving game puzzles, especially because they're missing something, then be careful with the latest RE2 playdate, because it's loaded with that. I eventually degenerated into yelling at my TV and I don't often do that.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Oh man, if you have problems watching someone have difficult with solving game puzzles, especially because they're missing something, then be careful with the latest RE2 playdate, because it's loaded with that. I eventually degenerated into yelling at my TV and I don't often do that.

I am eternally glad that stuff like this bothers me literally not at all, even when it's a game I love/know really well.

This isn't a dig or anything, I know it annoys people a lot, but since I'm completely immune to it I get to enjoy all kinds of terrible playthrough entertainment!

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Man that final level of Altered Beast was amazing
    It's pretty much another game compared to the previous levels
    https://youtu.be/cV93rcf4L7M

Peas on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    So it's a time trial thing? That doesn't seem particularly Breaking for Brad. I'm used to him trying to beat something like a Soulsborne or DOOM2

Wasn't the original Breaking Brad him trying to do the CoD4 plane time trial?

• Options
    No it was a special side mission in COD4. You did have to play quickly and you had a limited amount of time to do it in on the hardest difficulty, but it wasn't a time trial because you either finished it or you died.

steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.