As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Lovitz or Leave It

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Watching Vinny react as enemies and weapons got crazier in Bloodstained was top tier content for me today.

After episode one, I removed Bloodstained from my wishlist. It seemed sluggish. After episode two and seeing not only the silly stuff, but also that there are weapons with a decent recovery (namely the...special weapon he acquired), I added it right back.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Every button on the GC controller just felt bad to push. The triggers were way too loose and clicky, the c-stick was blegh, the A button always felt wobbly, I just really didn't like having to use it.

I mean, the triggers were loose and clicky because they were two buttons in one (four buttons in two?). An analog with some range, and a digital click.
    To be fair, I can see why some people wouldn't like them. But they did exactly what they were supposed to do.

Yeah I know why they were that way, but it felt really bad, and at least in my memory for the games I played added very little to gameplay that couldn't have been done in other ways. "It lets you perform the function the designers wanted" doesn't trump "it feels bad to use".

(Of course, lots of people didn't/don't mind the feel at all so obviously if you're in that group then my complaint is a non-issue. I just haaaated the feel, especially compared to Dualshock.)

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I like how input lag is a toggle.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I don't particularly care for the gamecube controller, but also, it's the best controller Nintendo has ever made.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I will fight to bloody, ragged death over Hybrid Heaven.

Still my favourite local multiplayer console of all time. Many, many high school afternoons were spent rotating people in and out of games.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I don't particularly care for the gamecube controller, but also, it's the best controller Nintendo has ever made.

Snes.....

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm a madman but whenever Jeff and Brad say the Xbox One has a decent dpad I go nuh uh! That thing was a nightmare for SFV and MKX when I used it. Also I haaated how those bumpers felt.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    do you think if nintendo tried to make an SNES controller but with analog sticks below the d-pad and face buttons and an extra pair of shoulder buttons, that sony would sue them for stealing the dualshock design?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    man the PS Dpad feels like it's something my thumb adapted to. Nowadays I think it's fine.

edit: going back to older Dualshocks I go how the fuck I played games on this thing. Those Thumbsticks are too damn high!

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    like the rent!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    do you think if nintendo tried to make an SNES controller but with analog sticks below the d-pad and face buttons and an extra pair of shoulder buttons, that sony would sue them for stealing the dualshock design?

Considering 8bitdo is making these by the boat load I doubt it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    D pads are overrated

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular

They already made the Wii Classic and Classic Pro controllers that are pretty much exactly that, so no.

• Options
    The Switch "dpad" is both bad and too low.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    D pads are overrated
    Choice is underrated.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    The Gamecube controller has a terrible, terrible d-pad. I hate it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    The only good console controller was the NES Advantage.
    The best PC controller was the Gravis PC Game Pad which used the game port.
    5ia469qiq09h.jpg

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I played Wolfenstein 3D and OG Doom with the Gravis.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    5ia469qiq09h.jpg

Those sure are opinions.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Also the best racing controller is the NegCon. Fite me.

k4chwwu6gho7.jpg

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I’m pretty surprised there has been no three houses content so far, and it literally wasn’t even mentioned on either podcast.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    xfnndnxynrf9.jpeg

This was pretty good in fairness.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I’m pretty surprised there has been no three houses content so far, and it literally wasn’t even mentioned on either podcast.

Dan mentioned it during the most recent VinnyVania. Just a passing comment that he hadn't beaten bloodstained yet, and he just got fire emblem which was going to be competing for time

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I'm pretty sure I have a USB version of that Gravis game pad sitting around here somewhere. It *was* pretty good (for it's time, at least, all the alternatives were kinda crap), and I think it still works?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Bianca is my spirit animal.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Their excitement / astonishment at the pirate hat and lightsaber combo was delightful.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I have a USB version of that Gravis game pad sitting around here somewhere. It *was* pretty good (for it's time, at least, all the alternatives were kinda crap), and I think it still works?

That was one tough SOB. Yeah it was a solid controller for its time compared to what else was available. If course since that's what *I* used, it was the best, ;)

• Options
    5ia469qiq09h.jpg

I remember buying two of these from Babbages not long after we got our first proper PC and I had downloaded various demos of games off local BBSes.

I absolutely hated this controller and I can't remember why. I think I finally sold them on ebay about 2 years ago.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    At that time, PC game pads were kind of a shitshow. You needed a soundcard with a game port or you had to get one of those ISA cards. Then you had to make sure things loaded correctly, buttons worked right, oh look it's seeing it as the wrong controller. And god help you if you were trying to use two of them!

For all its problems, USB is a godsend.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    The D-Pad was a bit wonky, but I really liked the Microsoft Sidewinder pad.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    5ia469qiq09h.jpg

My hands hurt looking at that thing

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    At that time, PC game pads were kind of a shitshow. You needed a soundcard with a game port or you had to get one of those ISA cards. Then you had to make sure things loaded correctly, buttons worked right, oh look it's seeing it as the wrong controller. And god help you if you were trying to use two of them!

For all its problems, USB is a godsend.

Also, and this cannot be forgotten, it was an extra device driver that ate another 5k of your precious, precious conventional memory and (I think?) another IRQ you had to configure and hope didn't get upset with you and cause the machine to hang for no good goddamn reason.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    5ia469qiq09h.jpg

My hands hurt looking at that thing

Don't forget to screw in the joystick
    GF7a6JwgR7-lH6JeFr2kbMGQZuBbdKrJ8h4Y-q2zHI8.jpg?auto=webp&s=4c39042c10434698f670f762f94c3ff315d74445

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I mean, if we're genuinely talking best D-pad (arguably stretching the definition of D-pad, but you know, the change is what makes it so good).
    cxxabavay414.jpg

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    cgmaxeh6jpa0.jpeg

Genji-Gloves on
  • Options
    Alex's accidental sojourn into being a part of "Weird Twitter" has always been very confusing to me.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Alex is a perpetual shitposter like many others, he just gets overshadowed by many more outward shitposters

• Options
    He seems just as confused and befuddled by it whenever a tweet of his gets blown up.

This discussion has been closed.