As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Lovitz or Leave It

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    As someone who adores Hideo Kojima's work in general and the visionary design philosophy that he pioneered in the game industry, I think the level of hype around Death Stranding is incredibly fucking absurd and I can't think of any creator in the world (no matter how brilliant genius they are) who would be improved by directing their work completely unfiltered and unrestrained - which is exactly what Death Stranding seems to be.

Some of Kojima's best work was created while working solutions around self-imposed restrictions (eg. the hardware limitations of the PSP in Peace Walker, the "lower budget" economy of horror game design around P.T.) and this whole thing around him spending Sony money on Norman Reedus peeing and Mads Mikkelsen singing at jar babies is just really weirdly masturbatory

Yeah, I'm a HUGE fan of the Metal Gear series, but absolutely nothing about Death Stranding looks appealing in any way.

counterpoint - both metal gear is bad AND death stranding looks awful

No

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    lol

edit - I am looking forward to Dan shitting on Death Stranding much more than the actual game though

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I hope it turns out to be a troll and he actually loves it.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

That would be quite phenomenal too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I remember that during the Death Stranding videos being watched by Giant Bomb West that either Brad or Jeff brought up a quote by Kojima himself. The jist of it was that he thinks people might not start enjoying the game until they're about halfway through.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Even as a half-baked product kneecapped by Japanese office politics, Metal Gear Solid V came out as one of the best games of its year, the runners-up for GB's GOTY, and devised elements for one of the best open-world gameplay loops that companies like Ubisoft have been chasing since.
    It really shows the good that Kojima's team could do under duress where they're forced to trim the fat

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

He's just pretending not to like it because he now knows it's actually MGS6 and has to not ruin the secret.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    This could be a pretty good substitute for Alex's drum marathon:

danny@dannyodwyer

Giant Bomb are gracefully allowing me to me crash their Extra Life marathon again this year so I’m throwing caution to the wind and doing an endurance run.

24 hours of Simulation Racing
    Wheel, Pedals & Cockpit
    A Full F1 Season (50% distance)

See you there race fans! (date TBA)

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I loved his marathon of Half-Life 1 & 2 last year. Had a lot of fun talking Half-Life in the chat.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I never finished the HL2 episodes. I got scared in the pitch black basement full of headcrab zombies.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Danny is a guy i could listen to forever, so chill. Looking forward to that stream.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I don't tend to care much for any of the games Danny O'Dwyer gets into, but I legitimately envy his passion and commitment for them

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I thought Death Strand is going to be out like next week the way people are talking about it
    3 more weeks

• Options
    Peas wrote: »
    I thought Death Strand is going to be out like next week the way people are talking about it
    3 more weeks

Review codes went out this week, IIRC.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    I never finished the HL2 episodes.

No one has!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »

No one has!

I hope Babbages still has my pre-order bonus when it comes out .

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Oooo film and 40s of Event Horizon. I love that stupid movie.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Veagle wrote: »

No one has!

I hope Babbages still has my pre-order bonus when it comes out .
    Our very own @slash000 (also known as one half of Zeboyd Games) redeemed a DNF preorder receipt after a decade, so maybe?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111166-10-Year-Old-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Preorder-Honored-With-Swag

• Options
    Event Horizon is one hell (heh) of a movie. It's not necessarily frightening like a traditional horror movie, but it really goes places and its grotesquerie can be pretty unnerving.
    Also any movie that has Laurence Fishburn and Sam Neill in it is a recipe for success lol

• Options
    I kind of always thought Event Horizon was a bit pants, but I would love to have seen the original cut before they removed all those bits you can now only see snippets of in the vision scenes.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I think it works better when you only see the snippets, personally.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The effects are not good enough that seeing them for extended amounts of time would benefit them

Seeing quick flashes makes them more disorienting and is more effective

• Options
    I think that movie is generally considered bad? I haven’t seen it a real long time but I remember it being effective and enjoying it, even if “spaceship to hell” is a ridiculous premise.

• Options
    It did poorly when it first released, and did poorly critically because critics don't like horror movies, but did so well on home video later that they attempted to do a director's cut except all the footage got destroyed so they couldn't

• Options
    It's also cited as an inspiration for the original Dead Space game, which we know any game worth its salt gets greenlit out the ass with sequels

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    This recent Best Of is a weird one.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    It's always weird seeing actors who are generally so friendly in their roles play crazy people in movies.

Like Robin Williams, it is so jarring to me to see him in Insomnia.

Event Horizon was the same way for me.

• Options
    Sam Neill is one of our greatest living treasures

I also sat down and rewatched In the Mouth of Madness the other night

• Options
    And it's some of their best work

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The effects are not good enough that seeing them for extended amounts of time would benefit them

Seeing quick flashes makes them more disorienting and is more effective
    Eh. Like, that's pretty much impossible to know retroactively (the scenes that were recovered were not the finished versions, nor were the ones used in the original test screenings) and it's not like the cuts were because the director decided they needed to be made either.

So, maybe, but also just because horror can work better when you see less of the monster doesn't mean that's always better. If you told me you could improve The Thing by cutting down its monster scenes I'd run you out of town with torches and pitchforks.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I love the genre that consists entirely of Event Horizon and the later half of Sunshine. I’m looking forward to a third entry some day!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I am so excited about that Danny racing bit for extra life. It meets in the middle of my very particular Venn diagram of likes.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    ugh, I was gonna go oh I love that Extra Life usually becomes kinda a Blizzcon stream too when they overlap...and then I remembered all the Blizzard shit that totally kills my hype for anything they might announce.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ugh, I was gonna go oh I love that Extra Life usually becomes kinda a Blizzcon stream too when they overlap...and then I remembered all the Blizzard shit that totally kills my hype for anything they might announce.

I'm kinda interested in seeing if Blizzard can make it through Blizzcon without anything happening this year.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Zilla360 wrote: »

someone blend this with the Austin dance

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Jeff Plurstmann

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So I'm finally getting around to the Beastcast and I guess the "Dan dislike's death stranding" thing went over my head. To me, his comments about being to harsh on RDR2 means that he probably thinks Death Stranding is weird as shit, but appreciates new things that it's doing (and so walking back his animosity a bit).

I guess he was being sarcastic. But all I really took away from it was that he's played the game and that he can't share his feelings yet.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Want a slight mechanic spoiler from DS?
    Apparently every time you kill someone with a gun, you have 48 hours to get that single body to a cremation site high up in the mountains or else it becomes a BT.

I can imagine Dan HAAAAAAAAATING that mechanic seeing how he approaches MGS.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
This discussion has been closed.