As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars [Galaxy of Heroes]. Grinds measured in months and worth measured in GP.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I guess they're rolling back hard node attempts from 8 to 5... So that's uh, terrible

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I'm sure they'll tweak the drop rates to compensate.

:rotate:

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Yeah I think for something they intended to rollback they let it go on a little too long. People kind of got used to it and priced it in to their farms.

• Options
    I just assumed at some point before I started playing again that it had been a quality of life update that was still too restrictive

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Ugh.

This might fuck up my Falcon farming.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I have no idea why they keep going back to that idiotic idea.

It has been in place long enough I can barely even remember when it wasn't. They had it, took it away, brought it back. Some of these farms are absurdly long enough as it is without knocking off up to 90'ish attempts per month.

Assuming a ~1/3 drop rate (which is pretty much taken as gospel at this point), in a 30 day month you get 240 attempts, which should give around 70-80 shards or so, meaning a 4-5'ish month farm from 0 to 330.

Taking that down to 150 per month, or about 50 shards per month, turns that 4-5 month estimate up to 6-7 months.

I have characters I've been working on for ages that are starting to come due (Jango and Bossk, though the latter still needs 70 shards), and after that it'll be the Dark Side Old Republic for Darth Revan.

Ugh, I don't expect things on a silver platter, but even at the current rate of release, it's impossible to do anything but fall behind. Which, yes, is their business model, but nothing they do aside from guaranteeing drops is going to make paying crystals to refresh attempts attractive. I wasn't doing it with 8 attempts per day, I'm sure as hell not doing it with 5.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Well on the bright side, I unlocked 5* chewie just now after getting the last 8 bossk shards I needed to get to 5. Im overkill for R2 and think I'm good for CLS and heavily focused on getting revan (T3 is at 3/30 and the last one I need to get) this time so it'll be a good month for me. But then it's kind of a downer to know how much worse all the next farms will be. Thankfully Im almost at 5* carth already but the rest of them are doomed

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Finished up Bounty Hunter ships this morning.

Bring on the Falcon.

I think I'm going to make sure to farm at least 1 ship in my daily routine.

Gotta get back to Darth Revan farms now.

• Options
    The Darth Malak shit is ridiculous

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Darth Malak?

• Options
    MarekMarek Lurker Pro A screen door... factoryRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Darth Malak?

You need both Revans and 4 each of their required unlock characters at 17,500 power or higher...

XBL: Jason Marek
  • Options
    Yikes. Yeah I watched Ahnald's video on it last night. Totally ridiculous.

In other news. Falcon seems to be missing today. I'm actually glad for this, and I'm very much hoping it is delayed. Even a week's delay will ensure I lock in for 7 stars. I need less than 60 shards at this point, split pretty evenly between the Xanadu Blood and the IG-2000. Another week will put me in range of being done. So here's to hoping they don't just push it live later today with a client restart.

• Options
    I still need 10 shards on the Xanadu Blood to get it to 5 stars, so I'm hoping to unlock the Falcon this go around. I find ship grinding slow enough I'm not even sure I'd be aiming to 7* it on the next appearance even. Maybe once I finish Bossk and Jango/Hound's Tooth I'll just focus on the XB/IG. At ~180-195 shards apiece, that's a solid quarter or more.

Oh, right, and the drop to 5 attempts per day that's looming over our heads....

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm kind of done with farming The Old Republics until end end end game. I'm going to get CLS, NS, Solo's crew, and then Clones before even thinking about them.

• Options
    Yes. Malak is just so far beyond my level in this game. I'm hopefully set to 7* R2 and get CLS, then I'm at 4* on t3 to finish up in time for JKR so it's already a big month for me and that's good enoigh

Also They just posted the road ahead.

Clone wars focus until epIX. General Kenobi, Jedi knight Anakin, ahsoka tano reworks. Geonosis TB. Multiweek grand arena "championships"

• Options
    Yeah, I can't wait for the clone wars stuff.

My Anakin and Ahsoka are g10, so not far off of being usable.

I'll keep farming for DR and Malak, but I'm so glad we're almost done with Kotor.

• Options
    My GK and Anakin are both G12 already. I raised Anakin as part of the Jedi Knight prestige quest. My Ahsoka is G10.

They have not announced a Mace rework specifically, but in Carrie's "Road Ahead" post from yesterday she did say that more reworks are on the way. I think Mace is a very likely candidate for a rework. And my Mace is also G10 already. I raised him a couple gear levels back when he was showing up as a buffed character in the TW.

I think a Clone faction rework might also be a likely possibility. I doubt they make any of these characters meta, since there's no money in it. These characters have been around forever, so there's no incentive for CG to make them meta. But improvements for things like TB, GA, Raids, and so forth would be good.

Especially since they also announced a brand new TB. There's a Geonosis TB coming in May.

And, of course since Geonosis is the new TB battleground, expect to have special missions that require Geonosians, all the worthless Jedi characters, Jango Fett, Clones, and Dooku and Separatists.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So, potentially 6 new characters...assuming LS and DS TB...

Shards from a bonus mission (ROLO/IPD)
    Available outside TB but helps in it (CHS, Starck)
    Buy with event currency (Hoda, Wampa)

• Options
    Lol Malak has an ability that just straight up kills the target and it's only a cool down of 4.

• Options
    Oh, I guess it's damage = to target max health. Doesn't ignore protection. Not as bad as I initially thought.

• Options
    Relative power levels of characters are ballooning out of control.

I'm not pining for the early days when everyone sucked. But by comparison, I think balance a year ago was much more stable and level than it is now. Both Revan teams, Malak, Enfys Nest, the game is just getting gross.

• Options
    Heh.

Text on the Malak event says 'will you bring Jedi Revan, or Darth Revan?

Must have been changed to needing both and they didn't update the text.

Eat shit cg

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Crap. I still need 38 shards to get my hunter ships to 5*

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Relative power levels of characters are ballooning out of control.

I'm not pining for the early days when everyone sucked. But by comparison, I think balance a year ago was much more stable and level than it is now. Both Revan teams, Malak, Enfys Nest, the game is just getting gross.

i feel like traya was when they lost the plot on balance

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I hate the bind they put the F2P community in. I've been working on filling in my backlog a bit. And by that I mean working on teams that I have wholly collected, and are decent teams for things like TB, GA, and TW, but not necessarily great for arena. Such as Imperial Troopers which are my most current project. But it is becoming more and more clear that if I don't start chasing all this new, super OP bullshit, I'm gonna fall more and more behind. There's just no time to build a backlog and also keep up with the meta.

So do I finish troopers and then move on to Rogue One, which was my next planned project? Or do I abandon those projects to start gearing Old Republic and Sith Empire characters so that I can unlock Malak, who will obviously be game breaking?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    I think you gear old republic. I don't know if sith empire is needed, outside of maybe trooper if you're doing a palpatine lead.

I pretty much much farm character shards, and get equipment through the stores/raids.

It's working ok. Everyone just needs stun guns and carbanti's anyway. Most everything else I have 500 of. The lower tier blues I get from guild requests.

• Options
    You have to gear a total of 10 characters to 17500 for Malak. All of those 10 fall into OR or SE.

For Malak you need:
    Jedi Revan + 4 characters from his unlock event
    Darth Revan + 4 characters from his unlock event

• Options
    They could alleviate some of that strain easily, by rotating some characters/ships into the shops. It'd be less of a pain in the ass to keep up/catch up if we could spend arena/cantina/GW/etc points on characters we haven't unlocked rather than just inefficiently turning them into shard shop gear.

Yeah, yeah, their business model involves incentivizing people to pay in for gear, characters, everything. I think they could find a better balance than 'nope, grinds measured in months (if not quarters)'. Like, there are release era characters I still don't have at 7 stars. The game would not in any way be thrown wildly off balance if they rotated in a new character or ship per shop per month. Just star'ing them is only one facet, and with lesser resources for shard currency, the impetuous to buy into gear might offset it.

• Options
    It's all a sick game they play. Even release era characters can suddenly make them a ton of money in the right circumstances.

Example: A guildmate of mine dropped like $100 to take his CUP to G12 for that TW where CUP got some neat buffs for the event.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Which is on gear. And something they probably would have done for the edge anyways.

Starring a character is merely one of five ways to enhance their power (level, stars, gear, mods, abilities), which are interconnected in some ways (needing to be 7 stars for gear 12, for example).

Which is an example where this could well feed into their business model; making it an excessive grind to get to 7 stars slows down the rate at which the G12 stuff is attractive. If anything, making it so that we can get characters to 7 stars opens up the demand for those gear pieces, whether bought in stores, farmed, or paid for through a credit card.

I'm not saying they should open the floodgates, but putting Urururururur in the Galactic War store isn't going to break their business model. Getting to 7 stars opens up other uses for the characters (higher raids, TB zones, events), which makes it more appealing to invest in gearing them. I have Nest at 4 stars. I'd love to gear her up, but she won't be 7 stars for 250 shards, or roughly eight years of farming (give or take). Why bother putting substantial effort into something that the RNG might make me wait a year for anyway?

I mean, they used to be hyper stingy with the credits, and finally opened up things up a little. It didn't break the game in any way to make one aspect of it a bit less tedious, and even those of us with 50, 75, 100m+ stored up will probably blow through all of it in a week or two whenever the level cap goes up to 90.

The game is built on bottlenecks, essentially. It'd be nice if they eased up a little, is all.

Forar on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    CLS done and instantly hit 85. Just need purples to Zeta and energy to farm some smaller gear pieces.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Can anyone look up my ally code? I'm at the Star Wars celebration in Chicago and I need my code to get shards.

Bedigunz is my name on the game

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    I'm not sure how to look up someone else's ally code.

• Options
    Well I never got to get the free shards :(, but I did unlock 5* Falcon today!

Unfortunately I have no credits to level it, so that'll be a bit of a slog. Who are the good rebel teams with Ackbar? Biggs, Wedge, Falcon, Ghost, Phantom?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    I'm running Ackbar, Falcon, Biggs, Hounds tooth, phantom, ghost, Cassian, wedge

• Options
    I wish I had Cassian or any of the other falcons but I haven't even bothered with Rogue 1 teams.

Hounds Tooth will be a good addition though. Maybe i'll add Vader, Slave 1, or Ebon Hawk to round out the team.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Nearly all the top teams in my shard are Home1, Falcon, Houndstooth, Ghost. (not sure about the backups)

My Home1/Ackbar aren't amazing, and it's gonna be close on unlocking the Falcon, but I think I should have it in time (just 10 shards on XB). Falcon already had me locked out of top 10, but now I'm seeing more people unlock it and top 20 is getting tougher.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Bistan's U-Wing is also very popular in the meta.

• Options
    Hey I'm getting into celebration for free today. What should I yell at the devs

• Options
    "Stop being so greedy!"