As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alita: Battle Angel - Word on the street is that it doesn't suck

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    redx wrote: »
    halkun wrote: »
    When In the manga, they bar code her brain because of "reasons" and it's literally the only thing you can stick a VIN on that can't be replaced.
    well... they kinda can be replaced in the manga...

Shh!
    Everyone'll go mad from the revelation!

Chiren's brain in that one scene aside, I do hope they manage to get the element of the brain-chips into a future film. The notion of Alita being an organic brain in a synthetic body vs. a fully organic human with a synthetic brain was a cool little bit of juxtaposition.
    Going with or without brain-chips would be a good way of telegraphing whether they're going to do stuff with Last Order, since it has to do with one of the villain's schticks. Tournament stuff doesn't translate to film very well though.

Saw this today and really enjoyed it. Hope it can get a sequel.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Just saw this today. It didn't suck! I felt like the Murderball was superfluous to the real story beats, but it was a fun bit of CGI, with some sweet combat sequences.

I hope a second one comes out.
    I want to see her tear that golden city down

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    This was excellent and I hope they can muster a second one.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Quick observational question for those who have not read the manga but have seen the movie.
    Did you notice what keeps Zalem in the air? I'm wondering how obvious it was. I ask because in the manga it was a real a fun aspect of the city. Before the "big reveal", The author pointed it out once in the most unhelpful way possible as a joke.

halkun on
  • Options
    I haven't read the manga, although about 20 minutes from the end I realized I'd seen the ending already
    in one of those AMV Hell videos back in the day. The scene with the cable blade thing was featured in one of em, whoops!

With regards to Zalem floating... is it related to the water wall things? Like it has anti-gravity, and the cables keep it from floating off or something?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    in one of those AMV Hell videos back in the day. The scene with the cable blade thing was featured in one of em, whoops!
    With regards to Zalem floating... is it related to the water wall things? Like it has anti-gravity, and the cables keep it from floating off or something?

That's what I was afraid of, I didn't think it was noticeable in the film, which is sad because it's one of the cooler aspects of the city. You do see how it's floating in the movie, but it's a little obscured you never get the long shot that would make it obvious. (When the kids were at the ship, it would of made a great reverse shot.)

It's shown in the manga very early on, but here's a picture... (Spoilers for those who want to read the manga)
    NAzNMkT.jpg

It's a little unhelpful so here it is a little further away.
    ihE4Bt3.jpg

And here's the long shot I was looking for.
    985VrCt.jpg

And this is the big reveal...
    lRtJDe1.jpg

That begs the question... but where that *that* go?
    Up.
    It goes up.

halkun on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    You don’t really see it in the film, it’s mainly filmed from below.

They do mention an orbital elevator when they flash back to the Martian attack though

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I haven't read the manga, although about 20 minutes from the end I realized I'd seen the ending already

I definitely caught myself silently humming that song during that scene

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    The other scenario is one where it plays essentially best-case-scenario in the rest of the world. Think $90 million in North America, $200m in China and $220m overseas elsewhere, for a $510m global cume. If that happens, and that’s a big “if,” then Alita: Battle Angel will be the first non-Chinese movie to top $500m worldwide without earing at least $100m in North America. Again, this doesn’t mean that the movie is a giant hit or that Fox (or Disney) will greenlight a bunch of sequels, but it’ll certainly be a nice change-of-pace from what we’ve seen in the realm of big-budget fantasy in a post-Avatar (and post-Iron Man) world.

Forbes

• Options
    Quick observational question for those who have not read the manga but have seen the movie.
    Did you notice what keeps Zalem in the air? I'm wondering how obvious it was. I ask because in the manga it was a real a fun aspect of the city. Before the "big reveal", The author pointed it out once in the most unhelpful way possible as a joke.

I didn't notice. I did like the line about something stronger than magic: engineering!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I figured they tied a few balloons to the city.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Spoiler for how Zalem stays in the air
    It's the base of an orbital elevator, isn't it?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Yes, Tiphares (Zalem) is the city at the bottom (used to be connected to the surface 300+ years ago) in orbit is the space Ketheres

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Just saw this today. It didn't suck! I felt like the Murderball was superfluous to the real story beats, but it was a fun bit of CGI, with some sweet combat sequences.

I hope a second one comes out.
    I want to see her tear that golden city down
    Zalem, sadly, isn't really the problem...

Super heavy spoiler here..
    Alita is. Or was. Mwuahaha.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2019
    On that note:
    Alita was responsible (unwittingly) to a major atrocity that kicked off an interstellar war,
    but there are a huge number of bad actors both before and after her fall to the scrapyard that did plenty of fucking shit up on their own.

Also, on an unrelated note:
    In the manga they explain what caused one of Zalem's 12 cables to break, and Alita wasn't remotely involved. (At that time she was already a hybernating resident of the trash heap.)

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Domestic take so far is 60m, worldwide overall is $264,502,728 - production budget was $170m. Warcraft did $433,677,183
    against a $160m production budget but I'd have to guess their marketing budget was way more. I honestly did not see shit for Alita's advertising other than a trailer in theatres.

Kinda feel like if it doesn't do amazing domestically, Hollywood kisses titles off.

• Options
    Alita made more money worldwide then it did domestically. It's the first Hollywood movie to do so.
    That's an interesting new dynamic I guess.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Yes, Tiphares (Zalem) is the city at the bottom (used to be connected to the surface 300+ years ago) in orbit is the space Ketheres

When Grewishka says the line
    about there being 'worlds on top of worlds', he isn't kidding.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Thread title does not lie; that did not suck. I enjoyed it a lot!

Except
    poor doggo.

And the odd daft line. But mostly what's in the spoiler.

I hope it gets its sequel, I could go for more of that!

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Alita made more money worldwide then it did domestically. It's the first Hollywood movie to do so.

Warcraft made way more money worldwide than domestic. Like, 390m to 40m.

Also, dog spoiler

Nosf on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    That is ridiculously adorable.

• Options
    If you liked the comics, read the manga? Comics? Whatever they are, there's like 5 of them or something. They're pretty great.

• Options
    Kiiiinda want to see this movie again.

But I don't want to pay the 3D tax for it.

Hm...

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    It's unfortunate that it's so CGI heavy since that means that options for a director's cut are more limited then. Assuming someone even figures there's a market for one.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

Warcraft made way more money worldwide than domestic. Like, 390m to 40m.

Also, dog spoiler

Okay, well now we have to get a sequel.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Can I get an entire movie based around Christoph Waltz: Bounty Hunter?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Uh

Django Unchained?

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular

I don’t know how many others feel this way but generally I just can’t be arsed to go see a movie in the theater anymore. I think Solo was the last thing I saw, and I really enjoyed the experience, but I’ve already got so much to do on my weekends that I just can’t find the motivation to schedule around a theater showing. That being said I’m planning to see this in the coming weekend in 3D if it’s still playing. That’s a good 1:30 drive for me too, but I really want to support this movie.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Warning: the 3D isn't used to any good effect in the movie.

See it 2D if you can; 3D is a straight money grab.

• Options
    Unless the screen where it's showing in 3D is much better than otherwise.

• Options
    The 3D was fine. I felt like it went for increasing depth of shots more than doing fancy tricks with making things stick out. It wasn't as much of a spectacle as Avatar or Gravity but I didn't mind paying the extra for it.

That said, I want to go see it again in 2D.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Uh

Django Unchained?

Entire!

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Just saw this.

The action and world building were so good, I didn't really care that the script was kind of a trashfire. Also: how the fuck did this get a PG-13 rating?

Anyway, whatever. This movie was a very serviceable spectacle-delivery engine, and I would totally be up for a sequel or two.

Two extendable robo-thumbs up.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Just saw this.

The action and world building were so good, I didn't really care that the script was kind of a trashfire. Also: how the fuck did this get a PG-13 rating?

Anyway, whatever. This movie was a very serviceable spectacle-delivery engine, and I would totally be up for a sequel or two.

They sterilized the hell out of the fights is the big thing. Hell, I think it was green fluid oozing out of the one lady's nose after Alita smashed her face into the wall in her first fight scene instead of blood even. There's almost no blood in it, no matter who gets mangled or how much. And apparently, it doesn't count if you merely imply horrific mutilation and gore.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Just saw this.

They sterilized the hell out of the fights is the big thing. Hell, I think it was green fluid oozing out of the one lady's nose after Alita smashed her face into the wall in her first fight scene instead of blood even. There's almost no blood in it, no matter who gets mangled or how much. And apparently, it doesn't count if you merely imply horrific mutilation and gore.

Just saw it, I dug it.

As someone who has experience modeling and animating complex machines; any more 'robo-gore" would have been a hate crime against the SFX team.

• Options
    Cyber-goo isn't blood so it doesn't count, I guess?

• Options
    That's how Metal Gear Rising got away with graphic dismemberment. They're cyborgs, so it's fiiiiiine.

Notably the few human enemies cannot be sliced or diced.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    That's how Metal Gear Rising got away with graphic dismemberment. They're cyborgs, so it's fiiiiiine.

Notably the few human enemies cannot be sliced or diced.
    Well, except for the guy who gets stabbed through the gut with a giant sword.

Or the guy who gets cut in half.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    My mother was a big fan too - she is a fan of the manga and is usually very sensitive to the tropes and typical markers of any American movies so that's a good grade. I just have to hope it can get a sequel.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I love that changing blood from red to another color can help you get a lower rating.