As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Far From Home Is Close At Hand (Endgame Spoilers All Up Ins)

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Yeah I recall the man babies getting extremely mad that one cinema had a woman only screening.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Just for comparison

Infinity War, a bigger movie by every metric, only had 397.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Dumb internet trolls are dumb. I'd rather not give them the attention.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I want to hear a modem in Captain Marvel.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I want to hear a modem in Captain Marvel.

This is the real issue at hand.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Hey a new MCU thread means we need to reshare a video of EVERY Iron Man suit up in the MCU right?? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpX1mDEw1gk

Edit: Also the preview image is the BEST suit up scene. Fight me.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I didn't care for Iron Man 2 but the suit up scene at the race is easily the best IMO.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    That's awesome seeing how they've changed over time. Although it's missing Infinity War :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Am I wrong on this or is there like, no hype around Captain Marvel?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    That's awesome seeing how they've changed over time. Although it's missing Infinity War :P

Yeah kind of bummed by that.

It's funny how almost quaint those early suit up scenes are now.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »

I'm pretty hype but it doesn't feel like they're doing an all out blitz on this. I feel like Black Panther was everywhere before release. Like car commercials.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

I’m pretty jazzed about it.

• Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular

Its overshadowed by Endgame.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Edit: Also the preview image is the BEST suit up scene. Fight me.

That's easily the best "standard" suitup.

But you didn't specify that condition. Therefore the best suitup is the deployment of Veronica in Avengers 2, and the suitup to Hulkbuster.

Some may count it as an asterisk. Those people are wrong.

• Options
    I hope the movie has that Brie Larson quirkiness.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Feels about on par with Ant Man.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    First Captain Marvel reactions are up and they are..
    ...good! But pre-movie press usually is.

http://collider.com/captain-marvel-reviews/

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Really looking forward to Captain Marvel. Only downside is that I have to wait an extra week because Marvel hates Japan.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm hype on it, but only as much as it's a new Marvel that will hold me over until End Game. I would be much more hyped if I wasn't waiting for a conclusion of a cliffhanger.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I'm not gonna let internet nazis kill my hype for CM. I'm going to see it opening weekend.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

To be honest, I wonder if the MCU movies have sort of passed beyond the need to build hype.
    I think I've seen two trailers for Captain Marvel, and already have my ticket for opening night.

I'd have to imagine that, at this point, the people who still exist in an undecided state in regards to if they will or won't see the movie are such a minority that the cost of advertising to them in order to sway them would outstrip any potential box office gain that they would represent.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

To be honest, I wonder if the MCU movies have sort of passed beyond the need to build hype.
    I think I've seen two trailers for Captain Marvel, and already have my ticket for opening night.

I'd have to imagine that, at this point, the people who still exist in an undecided state in regards to if they will or won't see the movie are such a minority that the cost of advertising to them in order to sway them would outstrip any potential box office gain that they would represent.

Die hards are a small minority of movie goers and you have to advertise to the other people who still have favorable feelings about the movie series but also have to know when the thing is.

Like they advertised the shit out of The Force Awakens and if there was one thing that was basically a guaranteed slam dunk it would be that.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    To be fair, Endgame is sucking pretty much all the oxygen out of the room. The cliffhanger was fantastic.

The reason I am hype for Marvel at all is because her story is part of the larger Infinity War/Endgame plot.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    It would be great if she has a history with Thanos.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Thanos owes her 5 dollars

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »

Die hards are a small minority of movie goers and you have to advertise to the other people who still have favorable feelings about the movie series but also have to know when the thing is.

Like they advertised the shit out of The Force Awakens and if there was one thing that was basically a guaranteed slam dunk it would be that.

I mean, they thought TFA would be big. But the last Star Wars movie was a decade before and also terrible. Part of what the TFA had to do was to show a Star Wars movie could be good.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Thanos' bigboi goon Cull Obsidian had a very Captain Marvel esque sash on his belt, and Korath the Pursuer appears to be one of her team mates, so she may indeed!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

I dunno about that. Endgame is already packed full of characters who have intensely personal axes to grind with Thanos, I don't think adding Carol Danvers to that mix would spice things up in a good way. She's a Hero, and she's coming back in Endgame because a friend called in a favor and it's the right thing to do. No need to have her avenging her cat or something.

Thanos would have a vested interest in Earthly events though, since the Time Stone is there, and Earth seems to be a magnet for the stones. So having him in the mix wouldn't be a horrible shrinking of the universe or anything. I sort of wonder if they'll throw in a nod to Asgard or the Sorcerer Supreme. Earth is technically a protectorate of Asgard, and while the Ancient One is more of an anti-Cthulhu person, I don't think she'd completely ignore a big-ass alien invasion. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

TFA also pissed a lot of people off (even before the shitlords took umbrage with it starring a female and POC) when they went ahead and cemented that the EU that Star Wars fans had been consuming for the past 20 years was gone and no longer considered canon. The prequels did that, a bit, by rewriting everything Zahn assumed about the Clone Wars, but they avoided most of that backlash by Lucas firmly saying "No novels in the Clone Wars" well before the old EU took off.

Imagine the spin factories that they'd have to fire up if Disney/Marvel unilaterally announced that they were completely rebooting every comic line, and now only the movies were canon.
    The past 60, 70(?) years of comics? Never happened. They're just relegated to "Legends" status and will have no bearing on the future stories (unless something is brought back into canon).

That'd require an insane advertising blitz to bring the comic book fans back on board even tentatively. The MCU movies haven't annoyed fans by being very clear that they're a different continuity from the comics, even if the two take cues from each other.

• Options
    I very much doubt the vast majority of people cared in the slightest that EU books were no longer "canon" which is a silly thing to be upset about in the first place. If Disney says comics aren't canon I don't enjoy them any less.

Nevermind that the past 60-70 years of comics has been retconned, rebooted, reworked, and altered a million times up to this point.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Not the correct thread

Fencingsax on
  • Options

TFA also pissed a lot of people off (even before the shitlords took umbrage with it starring a female and POC) when they went ahead and cemented that the EU that Star Wars fans had been consuming for the past 20 years was gone and no longer considered canon. The prequels did that, a bit, by rewriting everything Zahn assumed about the Clone Wars, but they avoided most of that backlash by Lucas firmly saying "No novels in the Clone Wars" well before the old EU took off.

Imagine the spin factories that they'd have to fire up if Disney/Marvel unilaterally announced that they were completely rebooting every comic line, and now only the movies were canon.
    The past 60, 70(?) years of comics? Never happened. They're just relegated to "Legends" status and will have no bearing on the future stories (unless something is brought back into canon).

That'd require an insane advertising blitz to bring the comic book fans back on board even tentatively. The MCU movies haven't annoyed fans by being very clear that they're a different continuity from the comics, even if the two take cues from each other.

I'd be willing to bet less than 1% of the tickets sold went to people who read an EU book.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Thanos killed her dog.

jdrbwh5vn1rb.png

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I very much doubt the vast majority of people cared in the slightest that EU books were no longer "canon" which is a silly thing to be upset about in the first place. If Disney says comics aren't canon I don't enjoy them any less.

Nevermind that the past 60-70 years of comics has been retconned, rebooted, reworked, and altered a million times up to this point.

I enjoyed the EU and I think it was a good idea to jettison it. All that history is incredibly constraining, especially when that history features the same bloody damned characters doing every-damn-thing.

This is why reboots exist, to clear the table to tell different-but-maybe-related-stories using similar characters following already established archetypes.

• Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

I dunno about that. Endgame is already packed full of characters who have intensely personal axes to grind with Thanos, I don't think adding Carol Danvers to that mix would spice things up in a good way. She's a Hero, and she's coming back in Endgame because a friend called in a favor and it's the right thing to do. No need to have her avenging her cat or something.

Thanos would have a vested interest in Earthly events though, since the Time Stone is there, and Earth seems to be a magnet for the stones. So having him in the mix wouldn't be a horrible shrinking of the universe or anything. I sort of wonder if they'll throw in a nod to Asgard or the Sorcerer Supreme. Earth is technically a protectorate of Asgard, and while the Ancient One is more of an anti-Cthulhu person, I don't think she'd completely ignore a big-ass alien invasion. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

We can safely assume Marvel will be a part of the Endgame plot. Aside from the Infinity War stinger of Fury signaling her, pretty much anything I’ve heard about Endgame involves her in some fashion.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Thanos killed her dog.

jdrbwh5vn1rb.png

Keanu Reeves was offered a part in Captain Marvel but had to turn it down to film John Wick 3.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I was a big Rogue fan back in the day, I'm still trying to sort out how Carol is alive, but I guess that was a thing in comics too? I dropped out of those around the time all the Siege Perilous stuff was going on, and really only kept up with X-Men at the time.

I've heard they kind of hint that Marvel is missing some memories? Maybe a nod to the Rogue absorption now that the universes can touch?

Either way, bummed about GotG 3 being shelved. That and Ant-Man I enjoyed way more than the 'main' movies.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    I was a big Rogue fan back in the day, I'm still trying to sort out how Carol is alive, but I guess that was a thing in comics too? I dropped out of those around the time all the Siege Perilous stuff was going on, and really only kept up with X-Men at the time.

I've heard they kind of hint that Marvel is missing some memories? Maybe a nod to the Rogue absorption now that the universes can touch?

Either way, bummed about GotG 3 being shelved. That and Ant-Man I enjoyed way more than the 'main' movies.

Carol just had her memories and powers stolen and was put into a coma. Professor Xavier restore her memories (thought they became more of abstract knowledge than memories. Like she knows everything about her parents that she did before, but she has no emotional connection to those memories anymore.) and, IIRC, alien experimentation reactivated her powers (and then some, as she became Binary, who was basically powered by a damn star.)

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »

After the Siege Perilous stuff where Magneto killed the Carol persona in Rogue's mind, Carol was in Operation Galactic Storm where her Binary powers were nerfed because the star she was using to channel her power dried up. She then basically got back to her Ms. Marvel persona but had inadequacy issues and became an alcoholic. This led into the House of M storyline where, in a world where mutants are the dominant species, she's still human and a beloved superhero and then we have years of her wanting to be that hero in the regular world.

In the Ms. Marvel series in the '00s they had a good running plot about how since Rogue stole all of Carol's memories, she had no emotional attachment to her family. She remembered events of her past but had just no feeling about them, even as her dad was dying. But that seems to have been ignored and then they also just retconned her origin with a shitty reveal that her mom was Kree Goku, and she was basically Kree Gohan who only had her dormant genes activate when that kree device exploded years ago.

• Options
    Who is Broly in this analogy? Was the power maximum?

steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.