As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Helter Skelter

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see what European election results look like if (when) we do end up having them.

From our atrocious results last time in 2014, where we sent 24 UKIPers, it seems the anti-EU nut was always fairly motivated to vote whereas the rest of the population were pretty apathetic. This time there will be such a massive amount of greater public interest, and the results will no doubt be seen as mini referendum on the various party's EU, and hence Brexit, policies.
    Remember that the 2014 Euro election was right during the expenses scandal, and there was a serious 'teach those politicians a lesson' feeling. Anti-EU was part of it, but an election came along and people voted for the parties that hadn't been in the news next to the word scandal. The fact that this was for Europe rather than this country barely registered for a lot of people.

This time around, I'd expect people to pay a little more attention to what they're actually voting for. The danger would be the anti-EU voters making a push while the pro-EU voters decide 'what's the point?', but it could easily go the other way. For a prevailing feeling, I think a lot of people would vote for a 'just stop talking about bloody Brexit' party, there's a growing sentiment of Just Sick Of Hearing About It.

Unfortunately, much like the MPs voting against No Deal as if that actually solves/accomplishes anything, not wanting to hear about it/wanting it to just be over already doesn't help or stop anything from happening. Only voting to Revoke - to do something - does that.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, much like the MPs voting against No Deal as if that actually solves/accomplishes anything, not wanting to hear about it/wanting it to just be over already doesn't help or stop anything from happening. Only voting to Revoke - to do something - does that.

Yeah, it's a serious danger. There is a growing number of people of the viewpoint 'just get on with it', and they don't really care if it's deal, no deal, or no brexit. They'll complain about it regardless.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Right up there with the never-actually-ended Korean War, sorry, "police action."

More like the thing where people think Texas could secede from the USA anytime because it was an independent republic before joining.

Britain: The Texas of Europe! Not a bad moniker all in all...

Spool, please do not give these people ideas.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Right up there with the never-actually-ended Korean War, sorry, "police action."

More like the thing where people think Texas could secede from the USA anytime because it was an independent republic before joining.

Britain: The Texas of Europe! Not a bad moniker all in all...

Spool, please do not give these people ideas.

It's a bit late for that, they had insufferable performative nationalism down to a fine art when Texas was still north mexico.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I think it’s more people are just fed up with Brexit as a whole and that it needs to be resolved in some way (whether that is leaving or remaining) rather than just Brexiting because they don’t want to hear about it anymore.

I’m really hoping history remembers these chuckleheads as fondly as I think of them now. Especially Boris.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    And I can sympathize, I really do, even when what they're wanting to hurry up (whether they realize it or not) is essentially their own execution...
    It's just that the option to, you know, not go through with it, to call it off, is still right there.. Just being ignored. :(

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    It's not being ignored entirely

It's the stated position of various MPs, it's a possibility of a post-confirmatory referendum...

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

This kind of feels like a combination of pictures for the history books.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Former Brexiter and conservative columnist Peter Oborne, who has often written for the Mail, has written about his change of heart. It's a long article but worth a read, and might be useful to bookmark, even: https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/i-was-strong-brexiteer-now-we-must-swallow-our-pride-and-think-again/

I vomited in my mouth a little when he compared Theresa May to the T-1000.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I mean, she is highly robotic and has little understanding of human interaction.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Something flailing wildly, desperately trying to find a form that will allow it to survive the deadly environment it's trapped in that is sure to destroy it utterly?
    The judges rule that the metaphor stands.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Brexit is now October 31st - lets get this horror show officially recognised.

Apparently just enough time for a referendum...if people are quick.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Yeah confining above:

Every delay makes Brexit less likely.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    So...spooky Brexit?

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Brexit is now October 31st - lets get this horror show officially recognised.

Apparently just enough time for a referendum...if people are quick.

I think if a referendum were to happen the EU would happily grant another extension to let it finish.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Trick or treat? Depends which side you're on, I guess...

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So what is the point of extending this to October? Has the UK made any indication of doing anything different? Are there going to be elections or a referendum?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    So what is the point of extending this to October? Has the UK made any indication of doing anything different? Are there going to be elections or a referendum?

BBC's Europe editor:

Unknown as yet if there will be a referendum, that's the big question, or one of them. There will be EU Parliament elections, at least, but domestically... who knows? I assume May will limp along for now, but...

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    This is agonizing and kinda terrible if you think about it. Businesses have been trickling away from Britain over this whole Brexit thing and they're going to keep doing it while the government votes over and over to do nothing about any plan whatsoever.

Edit - This is more doom & gloom than I meant for it to sound; I meant to emphasize that they need a plan, not indefinite time without any plan. Either form a plan and do it or preferably cancel the whole idea of leaving the EU.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Jazz wrote: »

BBC's Europe editor:

Unknown as yet if there will be a referendum, that's the big question, or one of them. There will be EU Parliament elections, at least, but domestically... who knows? I assume May will limp along for now, but...

I think this is the way they'll limit the interference some ERG nutters have suggested we participate in if we don't get our way.

Pretty clever move really from the EU. Then again our government are so bereft of competent politicians I'm easily impressed.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    This is agonizing and kinda terrible if you think about it. Businesses have been trickling away from Britain over this whole Brexit thing and they're going to keep doing it while the government votes over and over to do nothing about any plan whatsoever.

Edit - This is more doom & gloom than I meant for it to sound; I meant to emphasize that they need a plan, not indefinite time without any plan. Either form a plan and do it or preferably cancel the whole idea of leaving the EU.

The whole thing is an enormous disaster, but I think this is the only path that could still potentially result in Remain happening. So I think dragging it out is worth it for the possibility of a decent outcome, as wasteful as the whole mess has been.

• Options
    edited April 2019

For the last two years we've had the Tories arguing that they can get a Brexit that their party supports, with the help of Northern Ireland. And when that failed we had the Tories saying that the other side will blink (either the EU on the withdrawal agreement or Labour on the also the Withdrawal agreement) whilst the DUP had their back. Don't sell the indicative votes short - Ken Clark and the Custom Union failing by 3 votes is why things have changed, but those were always the starting point rather than the end. We know what kind of thing might get supported, and what would convince people to vote otherwise.

There's no doubt that's failed, and May has had a vote of no confidence called on her by the Hard Brexiteers - and then won. No one is going to step into the hot seat to deliver a hard brexit, and it doesn't have majority support within the Tories.

May is now in apparently serious talks with other parties, and Parliament has shown that it can go around Government if it has to by getting the first backbencher legislation passed in the history of the UK.

Just because an apparent deal isn't here, doesn't mean things are categorically in a different place than before Christmas. And that's before you even bring the various polling into the issue.
    There will be elections (European), which will gauge the public mood alongside all the polling that will happen alongside this.

Stuff is finally happening, it's the polar opposite of more of the same or nothing happening. It's the stuff that should have been happening before the referendum or before article 50 was invoked. But it'll still take time - some would say two years seems a decent original guess to be honest.

Extending it out to October lets more voices get heard on the issue, means the ERG/hard Brexit minority get diluted back to closer to the volume they represent (even if that's still irresponsible), lets you start the chain of events that could put this to a public vote so the current Brexiting population of the UK gets a say - and prevents a global recession No Deal would cause.

There's very little reason not to grant an extension if things are happening, especially when they are the things that should have happened so long ago.

[cheat edit]There has to be no greater irony that spellcheck suggesting "Brevity" for "Brexit".

[Second cheat edit]I wonder if we're now looking at Legacy May - "the PM who lost her party for the sake of the country", in the more favourable history books that start end of 2018 rather than dwell much earlier than that.
    I reckon the ball is still in the court of the hard right euroskeptic wing of the Tory party - they could end this right now if they declared themselves Bluekip and no-confidence'd everyone who didn't advocate for proportional representation. That not happening is the only reason for the delay, and UKIP vs Brexit party in the EU elections is what's going to change that one way or the other.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Well I was pleasantly wrong on them granting an extention.

They've either concluded that No Deal is a worse outcome than the uncertainty around Brexit with a chance that it'll happen anyway, or they're confident that it'll eventually fizzle out and result in a remain.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Mortious wrote: »
    Well I was pleasantly wrong on them granting an extention.

They've either concluded that No Deal is a worse outcome than the uncertainty around Brexit with a chance that it'll happen anyway, or they're confident that it'll eventually fizzle out and result in a remain.

The two deadlines are kind of procedurally based - are we still acting in good faith (IT'D BETTER NOT BE BORIS COMING BACK HERE) on June 30th, and what's the next decision point we have to make where the UK gets reinstalled at some element in the EU government. It's minimising involvement without setting up a No Deal scenario - far from a vote of confidence for Remain squeaking in, or they'd have backed Greece's 2022 plan.

Or it's just some meat to throw Macron, knowing that October is enough to see something that'd suggest a longer extension (i.e. to start a referendum then or because parties are still coping with the last election).

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    yes its long but not final; they got us over the hump of eu elections, things as ever will change as they go

broadly it is as expected although the exact date is a little shorter than mooted december

brussels reporter quoting tusk

guardian brussels correspondent

same thing from merkel

also im going to be maximally smug that my prediction we would get a long extension from a few months ago has paid off suck it people who flamed my hopes and dreams... we can all be a unicorn.... believe in yourself...

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Does the UK government have to vote on accepting the extension offered?

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Nope, it's all modifications to references in other laws.
    Also if you're US - generally Government = Executive, Parliament = Congress.

Fact that the leader of the main party in the commons is also the head of the Executive means the lines are a lot more blurred than you are used to, but it's kind of that if you assume that you always win presidency and congress at the same time.
    The Government and the voting representatives are very different things at the moment.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    yes its long but not final; they got us over the hump of eu elections, things as ever will change as they go

broadly it is as expected although the exact date is a little shorter than mooted december

brussels reporter quoting tusk

guardian brussels correspondent

same thing from merkel

also im going to be maximally smug that my prediction we would get a long extension from a few months ago has paid off suck it people who flamed my hopes and dreams... we can all be a unicorn.... believe in yourself...

So the plan is to just keep granting extensions until the UK finally gets it shit together or they just revoke and be done with it.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    I think October is a bigger thing, you'd either need a big extension after that or need measures in place. October 31st is the date where nothing too permanent happens - after that the UK is voting or not voting in 5 year plans etc.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty comfortable in saying that, mentally, I've now crossed the threshold of assuming Brexit will eventually be cancelled. Just a matter of how long.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    What's Merkel's political situation at the moment?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Tube wrote: »

on her way out, but there as chancellor until 2021 - she has confirmed she will not seek re-election

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Last I heard was "not that good" but that was months ago and I don't really pay attention to german politics.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    She had a good run

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    So May gonna last as PM that long?

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    So May gonna last as PM that long?

Unless a general election happens she cannot be legally ousted until December

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Woo six more months

Just think how many meaningful votes we can fit into six months

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Meaning vote 666 on Halloween sounds about right.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So, take pity on a poor non-European, I feel like I might have missed something, but what was the significance of the EU elections and not being able to get around them? Is it like elections for who will represent the individual nations to the EU?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    So, take pity on a poor non-European, I feel like I might have missed something, but what was the significance of the EU elections and not being able to get around them? Is it like elections for who will represent the individual nations to the EU?

Like states send folks to Washington DC to make up the US federal government the countries in the EU send folks to Brussels to make up the Federal EU government.

The big deal to the EU with the UK not leaving is that the UK will be chock full of still EU citizens and the EU is completely unwilling to have EU citizens who aren't represented.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
This discussion has been closed.