As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Snake Pit will decide if you got the [job] or not

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    But then, inexplicably, you can't get good Mexican food in New York, so I don't know. Maybe there is no right answer.

I've had better luck stumbling on random, small delicious Mexican places in the Northeast than I ever have finding even halfway decent pizza on the west coast.

Also the east coast has better burgers, don't @ me.

I remember watching a show about pizzas across the US and when they got to california some dude was taking like mozz kraft singles and slapping them on a pizza.

thanks, now I'm vomiting into a trashcan at my desk.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Fuck maybe after I better job where I can afford like vacations I need to start a study on the best food city. New York, Boston, Miami, Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, Houston, Atlanta, LA, Seattle, Portland.

Bring it america, my tum tum can hand it.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    But then, inexplicably, you can't get good Mexican food in New York, so I don't know. Maybe there is no right answer.

I've had better luck stumbling on random, small delicious Mexican places in the Northeast than I ever have finding even halfway decent pizza on the west coast.

I remember watching a show about pizzas across the US and when they got to california some dude was taking like mozz kraft singles and slapping them on a pizza.

Ooh, ooh, go watch something about St. Louis pizza now.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Since nobody visits Houston for tourism we get to keep the secret that we’re the best food city to ourselves

Wait shit ummmmm hey how’s the weather today?

I have visited Houston! The food was generally quite a low point for me.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Ketar wrote: »

"Huh, this seems like regular pizza, what's the big deal"

jgujjhedt6xq.jpg

puggj67ic0a6.jpg

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Fuck maybe after I better job where I can afford like vacations I need to start a study on the best food city. New York, Boston, Miami, Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, Houston, Atlanta, LA, Seattle, Portland.

Bring it america, my tum tum can hand it.

Buffalo/Niagra should be on your list, Buffalo especially for pizza and wings. Don't call em buffalo wings, they're just wings there.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    We are currently getting an answer to the age-old question "how many data scientists does it take to change a lightbulb mount a whiteboard in a meeting room?"

We're up to a count of three right now.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

jgujjhedt6xq.jpg

puggj67ic0a6.jpg

Welp now Chicago, Boston, NY, and Michigan have a style of pizza they can team up against.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Since moving to LA my taco consumption has gone up so much. It is a very good thing.

See also:
    Avocado
    Ramen
    Wine
    Korean

LA, best food city in America or best food city on Earth?

Strong contender for best in America from a sheer volume of amazing options and diversity. Honestly, yea, probably the number 1.

In the world? Clearly you've never been to Singapore

I've heard that LA and most of the rest of the west coast has shit pizza selections.

That's a deal breaker.

I'm a native NYer living here. You're not wrong, however, it's not comparing apples to apples.

Most places that promote their "NY style pizza", well, they're shit. However, you can get really good pizza here, it's just not NY pizza. If that makes sense.

Like two nights ago I was on the other side of town in highland Park and went to Triple Beam Pizza. It's fucking outstanding. But it's not like a NY slice. Doesn't make it better or worse. Just different.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Those of us in the midwest would just like to mention that we've always thought St Louis was a little weird and we don't hang out with them a lot anyway.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    We are currently getting an answer to the age-old question "how many data scientists does it take to change a lightbulb mount a whiteboard in a meeting room?"

We're up to a count of three right now.

Have you taken down the times at which each data scientist has entered the attempt, as well as if they were invited to join or inserted themselves, as well as the number of failure attempts before success?

• Options

jgujjhedt6xq.jpg

puggj67ic0a6.jpg

Welp now Chicago, Boston, NY, and Michigan have a style of pizza they can team up against.

rhode island pizza

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_tomato_pie

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    As far as I can tell the rest of the country actively hates vegetables so it makes it hard to argue with people about food.

I have not been to New Orleans, but I've been everywhere else we've talked about.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

jgujjhedt6xq.jpg

puggj67ic0a6.jpg

rhode island pizza

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_tomato_pie

I mean yeah that's kind of weird, I've eaten it before and didn't see the appeal.

But still not nearly as bad as the st louis one

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I can’t imagine calling any city anywhere the best food city. Everywhere is surely going to have such different specialties.

I’m a fan of Italian-style pizza which is hard enough to find in the US anyway. There’s an amazing little Italian restaurant in Tacoma, though, that I bet does great pizza - I’m just so tempted by everything else they offer that I haven’t ordered their pizza yet.
    Doodmann wrote: »
    As far as I can tell the rest of the country actively hates vegetables so it makes it hard to argue with people about food.

Huh?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That kind of pizza (or sicillian style pizza) is what you often get at German fast food hole in the wall places at subway stations and the like. Kept warm for probaly hours. Probably belongs purely in the range of 4 o'clock-in-the-morning-after-a-night-out-food

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    Since nobody visits Houston for tourism we get to keep the secret that we’re the best food city to ourselves

Wait shit ummmmm hey how’s the weather today?

I have visited Houston! The food was generally quite a low point for me.

You should have asked me for recommendations.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I love veggies. Heck we have fresh corn and greenbeans and stuff all the time here.

I also love them fried but thats different.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2019
    honovere wrote: »
    That kind of pizza (or sicillian style pizza) is what you often get at German fast food hole in the wall places at subway stations and the like. Kept warm for probaly hours. Probably belongs purely in the range of 4 o'clock-in-the-morning-after-a-night-out-food

My workplace in Germany had a hole-in-the-wall kebab-and-sicilian-pizza joint in the main hall of the university itself. I don't know if I'd call it good pizza, but on a hungover Wednesday morning it was fucking stellar.

tynic on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I have had German subway pizza before. Also a shitton of donar kebab. Practically lived on that stuff when we were there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Holy shit I just taught a class by myself for the first time and it didn't go tooooo terribly?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    My finest drunk-food memories are of the jumbo slices in the Adams Morgan neighborhood of DC. I don't know if it was actually good pizza or not, but it was cheap, hot, and huge.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    My finest drunk-food memories are of the jumbo slices in the Adams Morgan neighborhood of DC. I don't know if it was actually good pizza or not, but it was cheap, hot, and huge.

Oh god, the jumbo slice.

Yea, it's not actually bad, but it's fucking amazing when you're soaking up the Adams Morgan booze.

• Options
    I might have missed it but I don't think anyone has mentioned DC for food yet. It might be the best place for just sheer diversity you can find within walking distance from practically anywhere. Think of a food, and you can probably walk to a place that makes it.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I went to college in St. Louis and I still have many fond drunk memories of St. Louis style pizza.

(Note, it's best enjoyed while drunk.)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I love veggies. Heck we have fresh corn and greenbeans and stuff all the time here.

Corn isn't a vegetable though?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Doesn't being drunk just make everything better? Or is there a kind of food that's otherwise awesome but sucks if you're drunk?

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Get outta here with your scientific categories. If it's in produce and it's not one of apples, pears, grapes, berries, or oranges, it's a vegetable. Yes, corn is a vegetable. So is a tomato.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Animal, mineral or vegetable.

Those are the categories.

• Options
    Pretty sure we established yesterday that Taco is a category of its own. It has a zone, after all.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Depends on how you use it.

If it's corn on the cob, it's a vegetable.

If it's cornmeal is a grain/starch.

Either way, we're talking cuisine here not botany.

Avocados, cucumbers, and tomatoes are vegetables because they're typically served with leafy vegetables.

Now here's the weird thing. Are potatoes a vegetable? And if not, does that mean carrots onions or turnips are not vegetables? (Again, talking about cuisine here, stay with me...)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Get outta here with your scientific categories. If it's in produce and it's not one of apples, pears, grapes, berries, or oranges, it's a vegetable. Yes, corn is a vegetable. So is a tomato.

I mean, is wheat a vegetable?

Treating the "so packed to the gills with sugar we grind it up and use it in place of sugar" food as a vegetable is a super American way of doing stuff.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Highway to the taco zone

• Options

Treating the "so packed to the gills with sugar we grind it up and use it in place of sugar" food as a vegetable is a super American way of doing stuff.

A single ear of corn contains less sugar than an apple, and corn has a lot of useful macronutrients and trace nutrients. Pretty much any fruit contains more sugar than corn, we just use corn for sugar substitutes because it's easy to do on an industrial scale.

Like, yeah, it's sugar-heavy among the vegetables, but I would argue that corn on the cob or corn on its own absolutely constitutes a vegetable in terms of the nutrition it brings to the table (versus, like, a russet potato, which has no nutritional value, it's just starch).

• Options
    In other news, HAPPY FRIDAX!

Not only is it a beautiful morning outside, but both my boss and my analyst are gone this morning, so I'm completely autonomous. Got my door closed, some chill beats going, and... maybe I'll clean up my desk? Yeah, I'ma clean up my desk.

• Options
    In other news, HAPPY FRIDAX!

Not only is it a beautiful morning outside, but both my boss and my analyst are gone this morning, so I'm completely autonomous. Got my door closed, some chill beats going, and... maybe I'll clean up my desk? Yeah, I'ma clean up my desk.

All praise be to FRIDAX, forgotten god of weekends and regret. May FRIDAX reign eternal o'er all.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Wheat is a baking good, not a vegetable. You can clearly tell because you buy it in the baking aisle.

Next question.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    In 4-H, we were taught to consider potatoes a starch. So when you're balancing a meal, potatoes replace bread rather than vegetable sides.

And yeah, corn is used as a vegetable while cornmeal is used as a starch.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Yesterday in class:
    Male Student: That just isn't true! It's so much easier for a girl to get a boyfriend than the other way!
    Female Student: Nuh uh! It's no trouble for boys. The issue is all boys are just dogs.
    Male Student: It's so much easier for a gal, just saying... I bet you it is.
    Female Student: Oh, what? You want to bet me?
    Male Student: Yeah! I bet you could get more boyfriends in a short time than I could with girlfriends.
    Female Student: You'd lose.
    Me: Ahahahaha... You two are so close to living out a 90's teen movie.
    Students: A what?
    Me: You know, like She's All That.
    Students: What?
    Me: Terrible, just terrible, all of you.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I had Chile Rellenos last night

This discussion has been closed.