As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox/XBL] Battlefront II SP Sucked (but Gavankar was great): A Retrospective

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    E3 is going to be wild this year, that's for sure.

It sounds like there'll be plenty to digest even with it being the Microsoft + added third party publishers show this year. Which still strikes me as insane... nearly as insane as Sony's thing last year...

Still, I can always go for Phil presenting an hour and a half of game trailers. That's always fun, even if half of them don't see the light of day until after the following E3.

And anyway, if we see more of Cyberpunk 2077 (surely a given?) I'll be happy enough.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    So I’ve been back At titanfall and man am I bad now . So I’ve taking my default class and switched it to things I never used . Basically all the things I wanted to use but thought I would suck at because now that I suck anyway there is no point in not using them! While pilot combat is difficult I’m actually doing really well (for me) . Also the coercive secret point of this post is to let people know that titanfall 2 has a population again . And it’s still fun . Disclaimer the skill gap still exists, you move fast and you keep the high ground or you die. It’s worth it though.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Jazz wrote: »
    E3 is going to be wild this year, that's for sure.

It sounds like there'll be plenty to digest even with it being the Microsoft + added third party publishers show this year. Which still strikes me as insane... nearly as insane as Sony's thing last year...

Still, I can always go for Phil presenting an hour and a half of game trailers. That's always fun, even if half of them don't see the light of day until after the following E3.

And anyway, if we see more of Cyberpunk 2077 (surely a given?) I'll be happy enough.

Brace yourself for another 5 to 10 year leave of silence from CD Projekt Red. :cry:

Synthesis on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I'd rather they were hard at work than showing us something that we won't have for years. We got a good taste already, I am content to wait now.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Not like they have to be in any rush , would be amazed if it released before Christmas 2020

• Options
    Not like they have to be in any rush , would be amazed if it released before Christmas 2077

FTFY

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

I really like Hydrophobia. There are so many games that overstay their welcome, but that one gets the fuck out of your house while you're still setting up chips and dip.

Also love the typical BC release twitter responses:

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yeah, it feels like every mention of BC is accompanied by someone demanding Ninja Gaiden II.

• Options
    Yeah, it feels like every mention of BC is accompanied by someone demanding Ninja Gaiden II.

I think Enslaved shows up as the first response a little more often.

I just want every game I owned on 360 to work on my X1, is that too much to ask?

Seriously though, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean 4, and Marvel vs Capcom 2. Come on, Microsoft!

• Options
    edited February 2019

As it should be. And it's not even me!

Ninja Gaiden II is particularly interesting because it had performance problems on Xbox 360 in certain areas--it was too ambitious for the platform. Some of that was remedied for the Sigma release by cutting back certain visuals (like the blood, most obviously), but not all of it unfortunately. There might be performance improvements to be had on XB1 (or more obviously XB1X).

That being said, since we do have Ninja Gaiden Black, I'd rather see Dead or Alive 4 brought over.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

I just want every game I owned on 360 to work on my X1, is that too much to ask?

Seriously though, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean 4, and Marvel vs Capcom 2. Come on, Microsoft!

I'm guessing licensing will keep Marvel vs. Capcom 2 from ever happening.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

From going up for Resale, sure, but they could still make it BC if you already bought it.

Note that I don't think that will ever... EVER happen, but wouldn't it be nice?

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Max Payne 1 2 and 3 should absolutely be BC.

Oh also the first level of Hitman 2 is now free:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyWEwpiUadI

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

From going up for Resale, sure, but they could still make it BC if you already bought it.

Note that I don't think that will ever... EVER happen, but wouldn't it be nice?

I'm pretty sure they gave to get permission to make something BC and if the rights are tricky, getting that go ahead isn't always that easy

Like we only go those XBLA versions because Capcom and Marvel signed a deal for them around MvC3 time to drum up hype. Marvel is notorious protectors of their IPs since MCU stuff started taking off, so our best chance to get this done was back around MvC Infinite time... But that game flopped. We did get a port of MvC3 to current consoles, and if we do get the older games it'll probably a HD collection and not those old XBLA ports (which is a shame)

• Options
    That and I think Marvel's pretty demanding when it comes to their IP. The Activision Deadpool game was pulled, then re-listed when the first movie hit, then pulled again in 2017.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Back compat on the Xbox One is effectively releasing an Xbox One version of the game that you can access if you have a copy of the 360 disc or own it on your account. This means legally it's a new release, and as such any contract terms that restrict a release to a console or require additional fees for middleware or whatever come into play. That's why they have to get permission for each game they release to the public.

• Options
    Correct. As the Xbox social media team has joked about in the past--when the Xbox 360 BC program began, they became technically the most prolific video game publisher in the world, because every one of those games is technically Microsoft published, overriding the existing publishing arrangements (which presumably means a shitload of renegotiation overall). Apparently, unlike distributing a game on Steam, in the Windows Store, or even just on PSN and Xbox Live normally, the backwards compatibility model is done with more specific negotiation...I've assumed because Xbox wants to keep those rights past Xbox One.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I would really love to see a return of how BC worked on the PS2 and (original model) PS3. I really hate certain games not being playable due to licensing issues that may never be resolved (which is what I'm assuming is the main reason JSRF never gets ported or added to BC).

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    I would really love to see a return of how BC worked on the PS2 and (original model) PS3. I really hate certain games not being playable due to licensing issues that may never be resolved (which is what I'm assuming is the main reason JSRF never gets ported or added to BC).

It certainly made things more straightforward--but the PS2 was the older, simpler grandpa of that generation, and the PS3 itself a huge chunk of hardware, so it was pretty logical in a way that you could came an entire PS2 physical device into a PS3 (for as long as Sony was willing to, which...was not very long). No renegotiation of terms, minimal support needed (there were a few PS2 games that didn't work quite as well on the 60 GB PS3, but the vast majority had no issues as I recall, compared to the software solution that came next.

Putting a physical Xbox 360 into an Xbox One would probably be a substantial challenge though (much less the cell-powered PS3 inside a PS4). Not to mention ratchet up the price a bit. I'm one of the biggest advocates for BC on the board, but even I have to acknowledge some of the statistical arguments about just how many people actually use backwards compatibility on a regular basis. I suspect that's why Microsoft has fundamentally changed their messaging regarding the software generations, suggesting continuity--from the Xbox One onwards, it's just one big, PC-style library--rather than "Project Scarlet will have Xbox One, and Xbox 360, and old Xbox BC."

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

I bet these muppets are still asking for Modern Warfare 2

• Options

Isn't MW2 BC now?

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The main reason why they didn't cram an OXbox into the 360 or a 360 into the Xbone was because the 360 uses a PowerPC processor and the other two use Intel processors. That architecture change necessitates the whole re-release setup they've used on both consoles, so they can make the games talk the same language as the console they're running on. Since the Xbone is basically a locked spec PC, as long as they don't change their architecture too much going forward, Xbone games should be BC on the new hardware.

Opty on
  • Options
    Well, it's more that the original Xbox was the Xbox team's first foray into hardware and they made some bad choices regarding the licensing with Nvidia that resulted in MS losing money on every box sold, right up to the day it was discontinued. It's why they quickly moved on to the 360 after only four years.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Yeah, one of the things that saved Microsoft (or just cushioned the blow) was that the original Xbox had a better average software attach rate than the Gamecube or Playstation 2. Didn't stop it from being expensive to manufacture and license, especially when prices were cut.

The software emulation solution on Xbox 360 wasn't perfect, but it worked pretty well--unfortunately, not many games were added after the initial launch.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

Isn't MW2 BC now?

Yeah that was the joke sorry

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »

It certainly made things more straightforward--but the PS2 was the older, simpler grandpa of that generation, and the PS3 itself a huge chunk of hardware, so it was pretty logical in a way that you could came an entire PS2 physical device into a PS3 (for as long as Sony was willing to, which...was not very long). No renegotiation of terms, minimal support needed (there were a few PS2 games that didn't work quite as well on the 60 GB PS3, but the vast majority had no issues as I recall, compared to the software solution that came next.

Putting a physical Xbox 360 into an Xbox One would probably be a substantial challenge though (much less the cell-powered PS3 inside a PS4). Not to mention ratchet up the price a bit. I'm one of the biggest advocates for BC on the board, but even I have to acknowledge some of the statistical arguments about just how many people actually use backwards compatibility on a regular basis. I suspect that's why Microsoft has fundamentally changed their messaging regarding the software generations, suggesting continuity--from the Xbox One onwards, it's just one big, PC-style library--rather than "Project Scarlet will have Xbox One, and Xbox 360, and old Xbox BC."

I do understand that the way they're emulating the 360, they pretty much have to go through every game and tweak the emulator settings on a game to game basis. Obviously the only way to make that work worthwhile is if they can sell the game online. I just hope that with the power gains of future models, they can pull off something more like PS1 BC on PS3, where the emulation software ran so well that you could put in pretty much any game, and no additional tweaking or downloading was needed.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

I really like Hydrophobia. There are so many games that overstay their welcome, but that one gets the fuck out of your house while you're still setting up chips and dip.

giphy.gif

Okay, I can get behind the Mortal Kombats and maybe Ninja Gaiden, but I really wish they'd do Sonic ASR and Bionic Commando Rearmed. We've got the sequels, but I love the first ones!

If ASR gets on BC, I am sending a box of chocolate and maybe flowers to whoever is responsible. I may have to wait until my cat's surgery is paid off, but I'm doing it.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Well, it's more that the original Xbox was the Xbox team's first foray into hardware and they made some bad choices regarding the licensing with Nvidia that resulted in MS losing money on every box sold, right up to the day it was discontinued. It's why they quickly moved on to the 360 after only four years.

Man, I remember there were still new oXbox games coming out after Microsoft discontinued it. What a weird time.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    That was true about the Playstation 2 to the extreme, but of course, the PS2 was hugely dominant in generation.

I don't remember any Gamecube games coming out after Nintendo took the little console out back and and shot it. :sad:

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I really liked Hydrophobia, played that one on PC.

• Options
    We all have our wishlists of games to come to BC, that's fine (mine's as long as your arm and I'm sure many of you guys' too), but it's the sense of entitlement those guys display that rankles. I bet that exact tweet and image get posted again every time anything new gets added.

• Options
    We all have our wishlists of games to come to BC, that's fine (mine's as long as your arm and I'm sure many of you guys' too), but it's the sense of entitlement those guys display that rankles. I bet that exact tweet and image get posted again every time anything new gets added.

I'll have you know that entitlement is the foundation of the public response to the Backwards Compatibility program!

(Honestly, I'm just so pleased and surprised KOFXIII was added so discreetly...everything else on Xbox 360 is basically just a bonus in my mind.)

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    GwG for March. looks like OG Xbox games are the new normal now.

• Options
    Hmm. Kind of a weak offering I think. But I like the slow stream of additions to oXbox backwards compatibility.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Oh cool, I've always wanted to check out Republic Commando.

• Options
    Hmm. Kind of a weak offering I think. But I like the slow stream of additions to oXbox backwards compatibility.
    Arteen wrote: »

Agreed with both. I don't care about the Xbone ones, MGR is fine, I guess; but I never did play Republic Commando but have heard plenty about how good it was, so I'm looking forward to that one. And more OG Xbox games is always good.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    i'll agree its not the most exciting line up but it seems solid enough. not sure if that's one of the good Adventure Time games, believe there have been a few of varying quality, but the rest are all decent titles. just more niche than we tend to get i think.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

MGR is fine, I guess

You wound me

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options

Agreed with both. I don't care about the Xbone ones, MGR is fine, I guess; but I never did play Republic Commando but have heard plenty about how good it was, so I'm looking forward to that one. And more OG Xbox games is always good.

That's how I'd describe MGR, as someone who played it when it launched. Maybe they've touched it up a bit since then. Republic Commando is very interesting conceptually and well executed, but it's definitely showing its age--I doubt it cleans up quite as nicely as Ninja Gaiden Black, considering its artistic design and the engine limitations.

• Options

MGR is fine, I guess

You wound me

I love me some MGS, but MGR just wasn't really my bag. More the style of gameplay than anything else. I'll give it another go for free, though.

This discussion has been closed.