As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox/XBL] Battlefront II SP Sucked (but Gavankar was great): A Retrospective

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The big news of the day is that Ninja (you know, the streaming guy) is apparently switching from Twitch to Mixer. Hell, even the New York Times covered it.

Of course the big question is exactly how many dump trucks full of money did Microsoft pull into his driveway.

Literally yesterday's news...

*obnoxious image snipped*

...that no one brought up here, then and generated conversation today.

And no, I'm not annoyed at all he got an awesome deal from Microsoft. Just an interesting evolution point for this biz.

Edit: Uh, what a horrible top post.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    I'm having trouble getting Gears 4 into my account from GWG. I already have it installed on my Xbox via Game Pass, on an external drive. The "Get" option is not showing up; just "Play" (with the additional "You can play this game for now or buy it to own"). I tried unplugging the external drive, but all it then offers is the "Install" button.

So I decided to try going via PC. Xbox.com also doesn't have a "Get" button, just an "Install/Play" one, and clicking that kicked me to the MS Store app, where there is - further down the page - a "Get" button. But that doesn't seem to add it to my account either, it just initialises the download (I assume because of Game Pass Ultimate).

It just will not go into my account - and doesn't show up under Gold in My Games & Apps either.

Anyone else having a similar issue? I'd rather not have to delete it and reinstall it because it's so massive (over 117GB on Xbox), but I'm doubtful that would even work since the problem persisted when I disconnected the external drive.

I meant to add--I ran into this issue yesterday afternoon when I returned from work (around 5:30 US EST), but by the evening, the "Get" button had appeared. So, just another slow Games with Gold roll-out by the looks of it.

Still not sorting itself out here! Kinda nuts.

RickRude wrote: »
    It's official. That sweet, sweet purple xbox will be here monday. I've been xboxless for 4 or 5 months now so I'm really excited. Now to decide if I sell the fortnite stuff or save it for a Christmas present for my nephew.

Congratulations! I might as well share that I bought a Playstation 4 of my own finally, after almost a year of borrowing one and not much more than a year before the presumed release of the Playstation 5. I grabbed one of those "metallic black" so-called "Days of Play Bundle" since they were available from Walmart after formally being discontinued. Even if by Tuesday, I somehow regret my decision, I might be able to sell it for a small profit. Otherwise, I'll have my Super Robot Wars V machine.

'Grats on the new machine! I've had my PS4 for over a year now and only have five games for it (and four of those were picked up used and cheap), but they're enough for it to earn its place next to my Xbox.

Ha, thanks. Yeah, it's going in a slot taken up by my very-clearly-dying (at least the fan is) BC Playstation 3 because, well, both Ninja Gaiden games coming to Xbox One basically takes away any reason to play the Sigma re-releases unless I really, really want to play as Ayane, Momiji or Rachel (and DOA5 isn't good enough?), and the thing probably shouldn't be in a semi-enclosed space, unfortunately. I'm pretty confident it'll look good enough on my Samsung QLED at least.

As for GwG...cripes, well, I guess the roll-out might be slow by regions or even just across the user base. And you've tried the website again, right? That's always my fallback if something wrong goes wrong with Games with God, though admittedly, since I'm one of those people who forgets about it unless reminded, but the time I check it almost always is ready and waiting.

Yeah, still no joy on the Xbox itself, or xbox.com, or the MS Store in Win10. Weird.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Have you tried the mobile app?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Have you tried the mobile app?

Same.

Oh well, so long as it sorts itself out by the end of the month.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So playing gears of war 4 and kinda super glad I didn’t pay for this . Maybe it gets better?

Edit - just makes me want a remastered trilogy .

So you liked Gears of War Ultimate Edition? Which, admitted, is a freakin' gorgeous game built upon mechanics so solid that they basically changed every third-person shooter going forward, from Uncharted to Mass Effect.

For GOW4...I suppose it very much has a slow, quiet start, especially by GOW standards. You're given effectively an entirely new cast that treat the old crew with some disdain until you find you-know-who, and even then, it takes a little bit for the gigantic set-pieces to kick in. But the tone of the game as a whole is pretty different than the rest of the trilogy.

On the other hand, video games are video games, and no amount of critical acclaim or commercial success can change your feelings. The first person I know, personally, who bought a Switch picked up Breath of the Wild as the launch title and was really, really disappointed in his purchase. I don't know if he finished it. Either you like a game, or you don't, in the end of the day.

It’s ... a cascade of little things ? Gnasher feels like it had its mid range gutted , every enemy so far explodes when you kill them so I’m getting insane difficulty lambent wretches flashbacks , the weapons in the first two chapters weren’t really al that fun . Also story retcons or changes ex I was under the impression Anya was sterile which is why she was allowed to be in the military, did they change that for the purpose of having a protagonist related to Marcus . But to be honest I just want a prettier version of gears 3 so feel free to ignore me.

Baird thinks Anya is sterlile (it's mentioned in a chapter of a book that's from Baird's perspective.) So he could have just been making an assumption, or was mistaken. Also, Adam Fenix makes it very clear that every human is, on some level, infected with Imulsion an we know from Gears2 that imlusion exposure can cause sterility, so maybe it went away for Anya when all the imulsion died.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    GwG isn't working for me either, so it's not just you

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    tired: GwG

wired: UwU

• Options
    edited August 2019
    evamndsmp4e31.jpg

Devil May Cry V has started showing up in Game Pass ads for some people, oh hell yeah (screenshot taken from reddit)

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Great, yet another game I bought and haven’t played yet comes to gamepass. At this rate I’m gonna just stop buying games, which I really should do

Prohass on
  • Options
    Ok, I got my GwG to finally work by clicking the buy button on Gears 4, which then triggered a login screen, and then after that it finally started showing the proper options.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Two questions. The xbox I'm buying comes with a 1 month sub to xbox live. Do I get the games with gold? If so using it close to the cutoff date can net extra games?

Also, is the gold gamepass conversion thing atoll going ? If so, when does it end? I can't take advantage of it until September due to money.

Xbone games with gold leave your account when your sub expires, but 360 stay I believe. There’s two of each per month so you’d get the same amount with one month regardless.

To add to this: Xbox 360 games are yours in perpetuity, because there is no normal way to remove a license to content on the Xbox 360 marketplace, and those games have to be playable on the Xbox 360 and not just the XB1, so they use the old market system. This is also true for DLC on Xbox 360.

Also, holy shit, is the $1 ultimate Game Pass deal somehow still working? I'm not sure if it is, or the website just has cached weirdly.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Two questions. The xbox I'm buying comes with a 1 month sub to xbox live. Do I get the games with gold? If so using it close to the cutoff date can net extra games?

Also, is the gold gamepass conversion thing atoll going ? If so, when does it end? I can't take advantage of it until September due to money.

Xbone games with gold leave your account when your sub expires, but 360 stay I believe. There’s two of each per month so you’d get the same amount with one month regardless.

To add to this: Xbox 360 games are you in perpetuity, because there is no normal way to remove a license to content on the Xbox 360 marketplace, and those games have to be playable on the Xbox 360 and not just the XB1, so they use the old market system. This is also true for DLC on Xbox 360.

Also, holy shit, is the $1 ultimate Game Pass deal somehow still working? I'm not sure if it is, or the website just has cached weirdly.

they did extend the GPU $1 deal beyond the initial deadline, not sure how long for though or if they've even put a new end date on it.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Great, yet another game I bought and haven’t played yet comes to gamepass. At this rate I’m gonna just stop buying games, which I really should do

With all the sales and such that come out these days, I highly recommend switching to the "only buy what you want to play TODAY" model.

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »

With all the sales and such that come out these days, I highly recommend switching to the "only buy what you want to play TODAY" model.

Doubling on this. I have a huge backlog of games that I'll never get around to playing that I bought on sale, I wish I hadn't bought them until I had the time to actually play them since they've been sold for cheaper than I bought them for in the time since.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

To add to this: Xbox 360 games are yours in perpetuity, because there is no normal way to remove a license to content on the Xbox 360 marketplace, and those games have to be playable on the Xbox 360 and not just the XB1, so they use the old market system. This is also true for DLC on Xbox 360.

It's still working, at least as of the other day. I bought the 3 months for 15 bucks deal (though saw the 1 month/1 dollar deal) and now have Ultimate until like... March 2021.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    My new xbox comes with a one month gild trial or whatever. Does that net you games with gold? I haven't played a forza since the one at release and rwally want forza 6. Can't afford a years sub until september, when I plan on trying to buy multiple years and convert to ultimate .

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    It does until it expires.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I don't think Microsoft cares very much about when the deal expires for as long as it brings in the subscribers to game pass lol

This is very obviously their long play to set up for next generation

• Options
    Entirely possible. This means an end to those absurd deals on Game Pass by itself ($1 for one month! $1 for three months!) in all likelihood.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    If I have game pass ultimate and redeem a code for 12 months of live, will it automatically convert to ultimate? What is the conversion rate again? I know it isn’t 1:1 after the initial switch.

Basically I’m trying to see if it’s more worthwhile to convert 22,500 rewards points for 12 months of live/ whatever that would equal in ultimate time, or 35,000 for 3 months of ultimate.

• Options
    If I have game pass ultimate and redeem a code for 12 months of live, will it automatically convert to ultimate? What is the conversion rate again? I know it isn’t 1:1 after the initial switch.

Basically I’m trying to see if it’s more worthwhile to convert 22,500 rewards points for 12 months of live/ whatever that would equal in ultimate time, or 35,000 for 3 months of ultimate.

I don't think it converts it. I thought the conversion was a one-time thing (hence, why it coverts to the longer subscription of the two).

• Options
    edited August 2019

it does, conversion table in the FAQ at the bottom of this page.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Huh! Nevermind, I was wrong.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

Thanks! 12 months of live is the better deal.

• Options
    What about the reverse? I had Gold already until next year and Game Pass for Console until this September, I bought the one month Game Pass Ultimate, is it all converted to Ultimate?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Health food.

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    What about the reverse? I had Gold already until next year and Game Pass for Console until this September, I bought the one month Game Pass Ultimate, is it all converted to Ultimate?

it is!, from their FAQ,
    When you join Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, we will apply any prepaid time you have on Xbox Live Gold and/or Xbox Game Pass toward Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, up to a maximum of 36 months.

For example, if you have 3 months of Xbox Live Gold and 3 months of Xbox Game Pass already on your account when you purchase your first month of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, you will have a total of 7 months of Ultimate on your account before you need to renew your membership.

• Options

it is!, from their FAQ,
    When you join Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, we will apply any prepaid time you have on Xbox Live Gold and/or Xbox Game Pass toward Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, up to a maximum of 36 months.

For example, if you have 3 months of Xbox Live Gold and 3 months of Xbox Game Pass already on your account when you purchase your first month of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, you will have a total of 7 months of Ultimate on your account before you need to renew your membership.

sick. Now all I need is for Game Pass PC to actually fucking work. Can't download games without hours of errors, and the last game I finally downloaded won't even launch, no error code or crash or anything just nothing.

• Options

What do you know in going grocery shopping soon

• Options

it is!, from their FAQ,

sick. Now all I need is for Game Pass PC to actually fucking work. Can't download games without hours of errors, and the last game I finally downloaded won't even launch, no error code or crash or anything just nothing.

That sucks. Especially since, by and large, the PC Game Pass program hasn't really changed how anything works (the new Xbox App requires a more recent update of Windows 10, but you don't actually need that to download games), it's just changed the library.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Metal Wolf Chaos in a day, already preloaded and ready to Mech America Great Again, I haven't felt this hyped for a game since Mass Effect 3, please let the robot be remastered to be able to dab!

JHQUDCy.gif

TexiKen on
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Metal Wolf Chaos in a day, already preloaded and ready to Mech America Great Again, I haven't felt this hyped for a game since Mass Effect 3, please let the robot be remastered to be able to dab!

Everything I've seen seems to suggest this is a pretty minimalistic port. But I suspect you'll still enjoy it.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

Everything I've seen seems to suggest this is a pretty minimalistic port. But I suspect you'll still enjoy it.

Which makes me wonder what sort of visual mods the PC version might see.

• Options
    Are there any big games coming to game pass soon? Have a 1 month trial not sure if I should save it or use it

• Options
    edited August 2019
    nothing major this month, except for slay the spire in a week or two

and they dont really telegraph games further ahead than that outside of exclusives. Xbox made games like Gears 5 all launch on gamepass, so those are the only ones we know about ahead of time

Id say use it if you dont have anything else to play, theres a tonne of great stuff on there already

Prohass on
  • Options
    Question about the gears of War series. Through games with gold I own all of them. My GF loves playing games, and FPS, but is very bad at them. How hard is gears 4? If I was going to start the gears series with her should I go back to any on the 360, or just try gears 4 and if she likes it go back to the original story? Again, how hard is gears 4 and can one person carry the other or do they need to carry their own weight?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Gears 4 didn't seem that hard to me, but I've been playing gears for a while. But one nice thing is npcs can rez you now, so that's extra help.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    If you put it on casual it should be ok, even on normal one good player could probably carry a bad one.

Tho there could be some annoying spots due to like crashing into trees like the bike sequence, but in terms of moment to moment gameplay it’s easier than last gen by and large thanks to better checkpoints and ai.

I’m pretty sure it’s way easier than the original at least, the first gears has some old school bullshit in it

Prohass on
  • Options
    Can you adjust difficulty after the game is started or are you stuck?

This discussion has been closed.