As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox/XBL] Battlefront II SP Sucked (but Gavankar was great): A Retrospective

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    It will always be bewildering to me when I see people excited for a David Cage game

Xbox is known from for borrowing some of Steam's better features. It was about time Valve borrowed from Xbox. :winky:

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    It will always be bewildering to me when I see people excited for a David Cage game

i-jQGHvH3.jpg

But yeah, I don't engage with the Steam thread any more. Or the Switch thread for that matter.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    wow, Acclaim... there's probably people old enough to be posting here that don't even remember Acclaim.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    wow, Acclaim... there's probably people old enough to be posting here that don't even remember Acclaim.

That's quite a claim.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »

That's quite a claim.

I just realized I've gotten acclaim confused with Activision for years. I always wondered how that company that made shitty games got so big

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

That's quite a claim.

I just realized I've gotten acclaim confused with Activision for years. I always wondered how that company that made shitty games got so big

well Call of Duty really helped. :P

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

That's quite a claim.

And now I kinda wanna see a Mortal Kombat/Call of Duty crossover...maybe call it something like Kall of Duty: Mortal Warfare

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Erlkönig wrote: »

That's quite a claim.

And now I kinda wanna see a Mortal Kombat/Call of Duty crossover...maybe call it something like Kall of Duty: Mortal Warfare

"Yo I heard T. Hawk Raiden has a GUN, some dude a friend of mine knows did it at the laundromat, I didn't see it but he said it was true"

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

That's quite a claim.

I'm not going to let you get away with murder like this mate

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    young enough you mean.

also i'm so mad at you that you made me think of this. sigh.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    F1 2018 snuck on to Game Pass about a week ago, presumably due to this year's F1 season starting last weekend. So check it out if you have any interest! It's really good (it was my straight-up GOTY for last year)!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Man, there's probably loads of people who aren't old enough to remember Activision was created because a bunch of creators wanted to get out from under the thumb of oppressive corporate overlords.

And now the company is the oppressive corporate overlord.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    That comic makes me slightly sad, because I remember it being not that long before everyone stopped making Gamecube games.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Man, there's probably loads of people who aren't old enough to remember Activision was created because a bunch of creators wanted to get out from under the thumb of oppressive corporate overlords.

And now the company is the oppressive corporate overlord.

You either die a plucky indie dev or live long enough to become a micro transaction-pushing publisher

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Bobby Kotick was pretty much the turning point. He brought the company back in the 90s, and, well...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Well what did you expect from "all digital"?

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I got $10 put on my account today for being a "great Xbox fan". Is this a promo they are doing or is it just a random nice thing?

• Options
    I got $10 put on my account today for being a "great Xbox fan". Is this a promo they are doing or is it just a random nice thing?

It's semi-random, not part of any greater campaign (unless you count the whole time since the Xbox One launched being a campaign, and possibly earlier).

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Tons and tons of info on xCloud from GDC today in this thread:

One of the biggest things is that xCloud detects what you're running the game on, whether it's a console or phone or whathaveyou, and has the capability of changing the game. Developers can create custom touch screen controls, have it change text size, and more, to make playing anything on a phone possible. They showed some examples for games like Dead Cells, Cuphead, and FH4.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Hell's Highway is a fun game!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    More Brothers in Arms games would be great now that WWII is back in vogue.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    One of the biggest things is that xCloud detects what you're running the game on, whether it's a console or phone or whathaveyou, and has the capability of changing the game. Developers can create custom touch screen controls, have it change text size, and more, to make playing anything on a phone possible. They showed some examples for games like Dead Cells, Cuphead, and FH4.

Wonder if it extends to creating a full on multi-touch interface, or just customized virtual controls.

Either way a leg up over PSNow, which uses fixed controls, and Stadia which seems to require a controller.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Microsoft is absolutely trying to work up to the point where they can slap xstream onto a Switch.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    After watching the Google Stadia announcement I went back and read up some on what Microsoft was promising in 2013, https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/how-the-xbox-one-draws-more-processing-power-from-cloud-computing/

I'm starting to wonder if xCloud is actually their next platform. They could be fulfilling their original idea for the Xbox One, set back by the always online and DRM backlash, but given 6 extra years of development to improve it.

Right now they've only been showing it off with Xbox One games, but what if their next Gen games can run fully or partially on xCloud? What if the Xbox One is forwards compatible with their next gen games, running them partially on the local hardware and partially using xCloud? They could still release a new stronger hardware that plays the games natively, or run games entirely in the cloud through an xCloud app on non-Xbox platforms.

Imagine launching a next gen platform with millions of compatible hardware units already in consumers hands, and an upgrade option for those that want full native performance on those games.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/3/15/17123452/microsoft-gaming-cloud-xbox-future

https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/23/microsoft-is-building-low-cost-streaming-only-xbox-says-report/

This seems to lend support to my idea. Only thing missing is the Xbox One being potentially forwards compatible

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Well the rumor was that the local machine would be "partially" calculating some things related to location or collision detection rather than simply sending raw input. I would guess something akin to how most existing client/server games involving moving a character through 3D space work. That takes some CPU power but its far from GPU intensive, smartphones should be able to handle it. I do expect current Xbones to be able to stream xb2 games via xCloud, but it probably won't be doing anything much differently from a mobile device.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Microsoft is absolutely trying to work up to the point where they can slap xstream onto a Switch.

We'll see! Hopefully!
    eelektrik wrote: »
    After watching the Google Stadia announcement I went back and read up some on what Microsoft was promising in 2013, https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/how-the-xbox-one-draws-more-processing-power-from-cloud-computing/

I'm starting to wonder if xCloud is actually their next platform. They could be fulfilling their original idea for the Xbox One, set back by the always online and DRM backlash, but given 6 extra years of development to improve it.

Right now they've only been showing it off with Xbox One games, but what if their next Gen games can run fully or partially on xCloud? What if the Xbox One is forwards compatible with their next gen games, running them partially on the local hardware and partially using xCloud? They could still release a new stronger hardware that plays the games natively, or run games entirely in the cloud through an xCloud app on non-Xbox platforms.

Imagine launching a next gen platform with millions of compatible hardware units already in consumers hands, and an upgrade option for those that want full native performance on those games.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/3/15/17123452/microsoft-gaming-cloud-xbox-future

https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/23/microsoft-is-building-low-cost-streaming-only-xbox-says-report/

This seems to lend support to my idea. Only thing missing is the Xbox One being potentially forwards compatible

Presumably, it is part of the next platform, though it isn't "the platform" anymore than the backwards compatibility program is "the platform". There are too many people with too limited internet (on top of people with sufficiently capable internet, but service caps that are rampant in countries like the US) to exploit it properly at the current technological level (where Microsoft has described it, so far, as effectively an Xbox One S-powered server), much less the level that Microsoft will need to compete with Playstation 5 and PC advancements. This was always an issue with Gaikai/PSNow too--an interesting theory I've heard is that the whole point of PSNow was not as a replacement (pretty obvious, since it was never even capable of that for people with the best internet), but as a promotional tool: "You've played this Playstation game on a whim, but in a very limited form. Why not commit to buying it in a much better form, i.e. non-streaming?" Not by coincidence, Sony always leaned hard on the PS3 library for Gaikai--not only was this not easily emulated, most PS3 games are far less daunting than your average PS4 game in terms if visual fidelity (there are PS3 games in that library that look worse than their Xbox 360 counterpart, which is even older hardware).

Google is probably the biggest internet technology company in the world, or very close to it. Google hasn't answered how the Stadia program will address those issues beyond the unspoken default "It just won't work well, or at all, for millions of people." They'll have to reconcile that at some point too, considering even their presentation of Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, on a tech floor (with absurdly good internet), technically managed to look worse than high-end consoles and have worse latency. Imagine how it'll look for someone with typical internet, and not whatever fiber connection Google was using at their own demonstration in front of thousands of developers. Imagine how much it'll cost the average consumer to have the minimum bandwidth necessary, as oppose to what they have?

Microsoft has to figure this out as well. Of course, the current library model--that software will operate on earlier hardware, and not stream to it (not excluding that possibility)--may or may not allow for forwards compatibility. The-Cloud(tm) offers a novel solution to that problem. Of course, then Microsoft also has to sell new hardware to spur excitement, to attract third-party developers, and recoup the costs of 'Project Scarlet'. Streaming is potentially a really good accessory for that, if it works well, but not a good replacement. Netflix was supposed to kill all other forms of video consumption. It (or rather, media streaming in general) does dominate, but ironically, has long since added support (and actively encouraged) downloading video in advanced. And Netflix never had to contend with upload speed and latency (no one cares if Avengers: Infinity War has 300 ms lag, so long as the audio mostly matches up).

It's exciting to speculate on, in any case. We could be a lot closer to an all-streaming standard, or something close to it (UHD films are selling slightly better than bluray discs did at the same point in their lifetime, thanks to a larger market worldwide), but the demand and promised video quality and low latency are rising much faster than internet service is improving for the targeted audience--and no one wants to tell people that things will need to suck so that streaming might succeed. Most people are playing Xbox One and PS4 on DSL-like connections that stutter with 1080p video.

Google has been talking a really big game, way bigger than Microsoft--4K at 60hz "to start", and then 8K (7680x4320, or 16 times a 1080p screen) at 120 hz "in the future". The proposed 10 teraflop hardware will cost a few thousand dollars today, though obviously that price will (slowly) go down. But even that initial minimum would be incredibly daunting to stream at. Streaming to a switch, with its 720p 60 hz screen is a lot more realistic.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Monolith is asking people to show support for putting some of their games on BC to help convince their publisher.

• Options
    wait, is BF2 going to have online?

• Options
    https://youtu.be/lV6J5XT8hCE

Not having a release date for Outer Wilds STILL is killing me.

• Options
    oh man Outer Wilds looks cool as hell

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    wait, is BF2 going to have online?

Probably not. None of the og xbox games have so far. They shut those servers down awhile ago.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    If original Xbox games start going online again, by the grace of god, MechAssault needs to be there. That's a moment of video gaming history: the first, if memory serves, title on Xbox Live multiplayer, itself the first unified online console gaming platform.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    If original Xbox games start going online again, by the grace of god, MechAssault needs to be there. That's a moment of video gaming history: the first, if memory serves, title on Xbox Live multiplayer, itself the first unified online console gaming platform.

And a good game, too.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

And a good game, too.

I read this as "And a good game, in addition to MechAssault," and was about to realize Jazz was dead to me. It was like a milder version of this:

eyg9ju4nfjd2.jpg

(Actually I'm told a lot of BattleTech fans hate MechAssault, but they stole from Macross, so whatever.)

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    That ID@Xbox almost beat for beat was put together like the Nindies Direct that we just had. Not that I'm complaining though as I would rather just have the big three handle all announcements through their own version of the Nintendo Direct. Get rid of the fluff and make it just about games.

With that said, there are some great indie games coming up on all the platforms. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
This discussion has been closed.