As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Also as a personal matter I'd never vote for a real estate agent for anything. Of any type. You did that job you're tainted like ecoli infused beef.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    The Stranger's endorsements are up.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Also as a personal matter I'd never vote for a real estate agent for anything. Of any type. You did that job you're tainted like ecoli infused beef.

Anyone who works regularly in real estate is either a crook or crook adjacent, especially if they made a lot of money doing it.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Anyone who works regularly in real estate is either a crook or crook adjacent, especially if they made a lot of money doing it.

Its a dirty industry. Like even relatively clean people have done shit deals. Especially in the lead up to 2008 where a lot of people were ok putting people in houses they fucking knew they couldn't afford, and when they didn't they were right there to help them with their short sale.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    What do you expect, though? It's an industry of middlemen that exists solely because they leveraged themselves into control of information, and now spend tons of cash making it as difficult as possible to conduct real estate business without their interference. The only real reasons to use a real estate agent are because of insanely complicated laws and because they hoard all the info on what is for sale/who wants to buy. Make the laws not bullshit and make that info freely available and boom, you've just wiped out 99% of the reasons for real estate agents.

Real estate agents are into shady shit before they so much as start advertising their "business".

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Got my primary ballot in the mail and I’m looking over the candidates.

Really disappointed in the lack of a serious Dem candidate running against McMorris-Rodgers in the 5th Congressional. Just a young guy with no experience and an old dude from real estate. I would have supported Joe Pakootas but I suppose he got tired of tilting at this particular windmill.

Secretary of State, just a couple of kooks. Honestly I don’t see a good alternative to Kim Wyman even though she’s nominally a Republican. I’ve got no objections to how she’s run the SoS office.

Treasurer is easier, Auditor I don’t really know. AG has 3 GOP trying to unseat Bob Ferguson so that’s easy.

CPL, i wish we had a Democrat from East of the Cascades in the primary but I’ll settle for the incumbent.

SPI, everyone please look carefully at the candidates. This bunch reads like the type of people who run for local school board. There’s a lot of folks who would be really bad for education in the state, a lot of folks with no experience but who think they have something to offer because of accomplishments in other fields, several with axes to grind. It doesn’t help that this is nominally a nonpartisan position so you don’t even have that shorthand to sort the wheat from the chaff. I don’t know who i’m picking here.

Insurance Commissioner has a libertaryan and a Republican trying to unseat a 20 year Dem incumbent. I’d prefer new blood but not one of those two.

My state rep choices are abysmal so I won’t even discuss them

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Harumph now I have to change some votes around.

• Options
    One nice thing about cutting cable is I don't get inundated with inane political ads. So I have no idea who's running against Del Bene.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    noooo please don't vote for Wyman

there is no-one, no matter how good they might seem as a person or how seemingly minor the office, who should get voted in as a Republican. Every little nudge in their direction contributes to the morass of that party (and seriously, anyone who would even call themselves a republican is a garbage person).

Even if Wyman does minimal damage in her post now it is setting her up to run for a position where she really will hurt people. EG: Governor, US Congress, US Senate etc...

also, the Stranger makes a good point:
    Washington needs a Secretary of State who will keep our elections fair, accurate, and free from shadowy networks of hackers with admittedly cool handles. But we also deserve someone willing to defend our voting system against attacks from our very own President, and someone who will campaign hard to continue expanding voting rights in Washington. Former Rep. Gael Tarleton is the only candidate in this race who will do both.

Tarleton worked as a senior defense analyst for the Pentagon. She brought that knowledge to bear as Majority Floor Leader in the House, where she passed laws to beef up cybersecurity in our elections, improve voter outreach and education, and expand voter access across the state. She has no experience administering elections, but she’s written the damn bills on elections, and she’s fired up about defending democracy.

In her two terms as Secretary of State and in her 12 years as Thurston County Auditor, incumbent Kim Wyman has directed over 100 elections. Despite all that experience, her implementation of the state’s electronic filing and voter registration system has been a fucking shitshow. According to the Seattle Times, some of the system’s issues were “so troubling” they prompted King County officials to “use parts of King County’s existing system” to run last year’s August primary. Wyman waved away the issues as minor glitches—but they weren’t.

Like nearly every other Republican with a college degree, she actively distances herself from Donald Trump, selling herself as a nonpartisan actor who wants to keep the office politically neutral. She wouldn’t vote in the last presidential primary or explicitly condemn the President’s recent attacks on the voting system she oversees for that very reason, and said she doesn’t “weigh in” on “social issues.”

But that’s horseshit. She was happy to oppose the “social issue” of extending local voting rights to noncitizens (as was Tarleton, for that matter) in our meeting, and happy to oppose the Washington Voting Rights Act in 2012. And though she says she didn’t use her clout as a Secretary of State to testify against H.R. 1—a bill proposed by House Democrats that would expand voter registration, limit voter purges, and end partisan gerrymandering—she and the other Republican Secretaries of State signed a letter to U.S. House leaders in March of 2019 expressing their “deep concern over, and opposition to, HR 1.” Signing a partisan letter opposing a voting rights bill isn’t merely “describing our experience in Washington,” Kim. We may be doing bong rips of tear gas, but we’re not morons. Vote Tarleton.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    also, this year we are really feeling the crappy situation that the (relatively new!) "jungle primary" has forced us into.

usually the primary election is where everyone can and should vote 100% their conscience. No need to think about "electability" or other so-called practical concerns. Go for the rabid left wing anarchist! Your vote there can actually do some good and doesn't do harm. Even when your favored candidate in the primary loses the results really are scrutinized by the winners as to how they should appeal to their districts.

but mathematically a jungle primary is just another First Past The Post general election before the general election. It forces us, no matter how much it sucks, to worry about vote-splitting and tactical voting. Voting purely your conscience suddenly can cause negative consequences.

I am at least somewhat hopeful that it is reasonable, with real effort, to get rid of the jungle primary in WA state. It's not been around long and is not so entrenched as FPTP.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    also, this year we are really feeling the crappy situation that the (relatively new!) "jungle primary" has forced us into.

usually the primary election is where everyone can and should vote 100% their conscience. No need to think about "electability" or other so-called practical concerns. Go for the rabid left wing anarchist! Your vote there can actually do some good and doesn't do harm. Even when your favored candidate in the primary loses the results really are scrutinized by the winners as to how they should appeal to their districts.

but mathematically a jungle primary is just another First Past The Post general election before the general election. It forces us, no matter how much it sucks, to worry about vote-splitting and tactical voting. Voting purely your conscience suddenly can cause negative consequences.

I am at least somewhat hopeful that it is reasonable, with real effort, to get rid of the jungle primary in WA state. It's not been around long and is not so entrenched as FPTP.

I'd like to have your optimism but once Washington State has a bad idea, they tend to support it. Look at our in state taxation.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I'd like to have your optimism but once Washington State has a bad idea, they tend to support it. Look at our in state taxation.

Our state tax problems are part of the state constitution. The jungle primary is just a law. Way easier to change.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'll tell you what, I was VERY surprised this morning to open my ballot and see a work acquaintance is running for Secretary of State!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I'll tell you what, I was VERY surprised this morning to open my ballot and see a work acquaintance is running for Secretary of State!

So many questions.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    So what's going on with the unmarked clandestine thugs in portland taking people and making them sign stuff before releasing them after a day or so?

I'm reading stuff about it online but am not seeing anything in this thread (which has been my source of more grounded truth)

ObiFett on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    So what's going on with the unmarked clandestine thugs in portland taking people and making them sign stuff before releasing them after a day or so?

I'm reading stuff about it online but am not seeing anything in this thread (which has been my source of more grounded truth)

Wrong thread and/or state?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Check the police brutality threads.

Despite the title this thread is more of a catchall for Washington state politics and news.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

They're DHS.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020

Wrong thread and/or state?

Oh, dammit. Of course. My bad.
    knitdan wrote: »
    Check the police brutality threads.

Despite the title this thread is more of a catchall for Washington state politics and news.

Yeah, I was a bit behind catching up on that thread and am seeing discussion about it now. Thanks!

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Man, Eastern Washington really is just the butthole of the state.

https://www.yaktrinews.com/video-shows-customer-at-papa-murphys-in-kennewick-arguing-over-mask-mandate/

No wonder our covid numbers spiked so much.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, do read the party preferences on the governor's candidates - it's hilarious.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular

https://www.yaktrinews.com/video-shows-customer-at-papa-murphys-in-kennewick-arguing-over-mask-mandate/

hey don't you lump us in with fucking Yakima, i'd live in a box in Spokane before living in a house in Yakima.

(just kidding yakima and walla walla and stuff y'all know i love you. my grandpa was born and raised in walla walla!)

• Options

hey don't you lump us in with fucking Yakima, i'd live in a box in Spokane before living in a house in Yakima.

(just kidding yakima and walla walla and stuff y'all know i love you. my grandpa was born and raised in walla walla!)

You have yakima friends, its ok you its your words.

But really the tri cities are their own unique dumb for Washington state.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Yakima has some of the best hops in the country.

So concludes my knowledge of Yakima.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Yakima has some of the best hops in the country.

So concludes my knowledge of Yakima.

Clearly you've never been to the Palm Springs of washington Quid.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    that's very true, something like 75% of the hops grown in america are grown around yakima if i recall correctlyz and are like world famous for their... hoppiness i guess. i have an interest in hemp farming and they're similar crops regarding sun and water and soil nutrient and ph requirements and stuff, so.

i wonder if my grandpa picked up that thumb-tip he lost while he was working on a pea-viner over there in his youth...

• Options
    The only crop I know in eastern washington are the mint farms/alfalfa farms along 90 from around george to moses lake, the smell is horrifying.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Wine grapes. Washington Wines have gone high rating worldwide and some are reached 90+ pts on the worldwide scale which is crazy for american wines.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I know that Kent was renamed from something else because of the hops that were at the time grown there.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    White river and/or Titusville. It was renamed after the region in England which was known for hops.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Onions, of course! Famous Walla Walla sweet onions! Also, potatoes! Basically, eastern Washington grows any crop that California or Oregon grows, usually about as good, and in huge amounts. The farmland around that area is insanely productive.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    can't wait to vote against frank chopp's no-account do-nothing ass again

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, Walla Walla's got some world quality onions and wine. And that's all it has going for it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Onions, of course! Famous Walla Walla sweet onions! Also, potatoes! Basically, eastern Washington grows any crop that California or Oregon grows, usually about as good, and in huge amounts. The farmland around that area is insanely productive.

Yeah I swear we actually produce more potatoes than idaho. THAT'S FUCKING RIGHT IDAHO YOU HAVE THE CONSOLATION PRIZE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    i did some consulting work for one of the water districts down there several years ago; the irrigation system required to make all that farmland happen is honestly incredible

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I feel like someone should mention apples. I think they're famous around here, too

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I feel like someone should mention apples. I think they're famous around here, too

Yeah its funny much like the selection of craft beers at a regular grocery store, I was shocked to find other places in the country don't have like 6 types of red apples in their produce section.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I've keep asking my friends in Kansas if they've got the cosmic crisp apples in stores yet

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    The produce up here on grocery stores is easily as good as anything I ever ate in California and leaps and bounds better than most stuff in Wyoming unless it got off the truck from Colorado like earlier that day.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The produce up here on grocery stores is easily as good as anything I ever ate in California and leaps and bounds better than most stuff in Wyoming unless it got off the truck from Colorado like earlier that day.

I'm kind of amazed. Artichokes and avocados in Seattle depress me. They all seem desiccated.

Incenjucar on
This discussion has been closed.