As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Aim wrote: »
    Aim wrote: »
    I'll say that I don't understand what the medium term plan is. Long term, we hope for a vaccine, or that enough people have built immunity that the number of new cases stay low, on the short term we isolate as to not overwhelm the health system, but as soon as stop that, cases will spike again. We're not infecting people at a rate to build herd immmunity before 1 -2 years, which seems to be the same timeline for a vaccine anyway, and I find it unlikely that we can keep the current isolation for that long.

Medium term is better testing, to the point that we can reliably say that there's no community spread. That lets us reopen many businesses, presumably with some restrictions, then jump on any infections that show up. This will probably result in a bunch of quarantine orders whenever someone tests positive, but those won't cover the entire state.

Seems that will only work if the asymptomatic transmission isn't that widespread - unless we have a way to sample the asymptomatic population?

As an aside, I wonder if you can search for the virus DNA on sewer water as an indicator of the spread on the population at large.

It's unclear how much asymptomatic spread actually exists (although the last week or so I've barely had time to read anything), but more it's people with a cough and a mild fever going out anyways.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Wasn't there a study posted in one of our too many covid threads that found that "asymptomatic" spread was in fact not asymptomatic, the symptoms were simply mind enough people weren't consciously registering them as such?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Washington is currently ranked #4 in testing and #10 in cases. In guessing Texas and Georgia are actually ahead of us by now, but they aren't there officially yet.

It looks like our curve is starting to flatten, but it's hard to say for sure. It could be that our case load is accelerating faster than the ability to test.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Wasn't there a study posted in one of our too many covid threads that found that "asymptomatic" spread was in fact not asymptomatic, the symptoms were simply mind enough people weren't consciously registering them as such?

In practice does it really make much difference?

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Yeah, because if you let people know that a mild cough/sickness symptoms that you could be spreading, people might effectively self isolate w/o shutting everything down, which would go a long ways.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Yeah, because if you let people know that a mild cough/sickness symptoms that you could be spreading, people might effectively self isolate w/o shutting everything down, which would go a long ways.

That's good as long as businesses honor people using sick time/having sick time to use for what most americans consider "mild" symptoms. But like my job has an official description of "if you're sick stay home" and an unofficial "Unless you're puking or shitting blood you're ass is coming in."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »

That's good as long as businesses honor people using sick time/having sick time to use for what most americans consider "mild" symptoms. But like my job has an official description of "if you're sick stay home" and an unofficial "Unless you're puking or shitting blood you're ass is coming in."

I recommend you unionize to stamp out that attitude, but if I recall correctly that isn't an option in your field.

• Options
    Yeah I'm a generic support person, unless like all phone operators unionize which is highly unlikely that's not happening.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

Yes. Quick synopsis: there are some actual asymptomatic people, though most people eventually do show some symptoms. Those symptoms could be so mild that people don't even realize they have it, like a mild fever that they wouldn't even have noticed if people weren't checking their temperatures and/or a really minor cough.

This being said, the definition of "mild" COVID-19 cases encompassing everything from fully asymptomatic to "pneumonia not quite bad enough to require hospitalization" did not help at all when most people are left to self-diagnose.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    In Seattle, people are playing soccer and bean bag toss in a big crowd in the park, and other people are playing basketball. Almost nobody who is out on the street is wearing a mask.

This is going to go on for a long time.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm a generic support person, unless like all phone operators unionize which is highly unlikely that's not happening.

Which is a shame because right now is a pretty terrific time to get that ball rolling.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Baron Of HellBaron Of Hell Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    In Seattle, people are playing soccer and bean bag toss in a big crowd in the park, and other people are playing basketball. Almost nobody who is out on the street is wearing a mask.

Nearly everyone is wearing masks in my part of Seattle. Haven't seen any big crowds at parks. Haven't been to greenlake though.

• Options

Nearly everyone is wearing masks in my part of Seattle. Haven't seen any big crowds at parks. Haven't been to greenlake though.

I'm in Cap Hill. Glad your area is being smarter.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

Yes. Quick synopsis: there are some actual asymptomatic people, though most people eventually do show some symptoms. Those symptoms could be so mild that people don't even realize they have it, like a mild fever that they wouldn't even have noticed if people weren't checking their temperatures and/or a really minor cough.

This being said, the definition of "mild" COVID-19 cases encompassing everything from fully asymptomatic to "pneumonia not quite bad enough to require hospitalization" did not help at all when most people are left to self-diagnose.

This is not as sure as you make it sound!

In Italy there was an example where they took blood from 60 'healthy' people who self reported they never got sick, and 40 had antigens for the virus present.

Italian link

https://www.lastampa.it/topnews/primo-piano/2020/04/02/news/coronavirus-castiglione-d-adda-e-un-caso-di-studio-il-70-dei-donatori-di-sangue-e-positivo-1.38666481

Which is why many countries are doing studies to test that.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

I'm in Cap Hill. Glad your area is being smarter.

Lake City is...also not being smart. I wear my N95 when walking my dog and everyone looks at me like I'm crazy to be walking around trying to get everyone sick.

Even though it is the exact opposite of that! I'm protecting you more than myself!

• Options
    I like how someone in the comments immediately doesn't understand what a school year is.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I like the people complaining about kids not having prom, like that's a problem

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    I like the people complaining about kids not having prom, like that's a problem

Such is the privilege of people. "BUT THIS IS WHATS IMPORTANT!"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I like how my wife can't file unemployment because the system has her old name and they never closed out an old claim (preventing her from opening a new one)... both things that can only be fixed by calling the office.

The phone line doesn't have a call queue, you get just a message that everyone is busy try calling again later. She's been trying for 4 days now to get them to answer with no luck.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    I like how my wife can't file unemployment because the system has her old name and they never closed out an old claim (preventing her from opening a new one)... both things that can only be fixed by calling the office.

The phone line doesn't have a call queue, you get just a message that everyone is busy try calling again later. She's been trying for 4 days now to get them to answer with no luck.

Contact your state reps office?

• Options
    Inslee really fucked things up by assuming people would be adequately taken care of by our lackluster unemployment system. As someone who's had to use it multiple times across multiple years, I can tell you it's barely functional under ideal political stability circumstances. During this moment in time it's been virtually unusable for 99% of users.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

I mean it's not like there's anything anyone can do.

New UI claims are like 6x higher then they've ever been.

It just sucks.

(Also I actually did reach out to my state reps on a different issue a while back... they don't care, they're not in session.)

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Inslee really fucked things up by assuming people would be adequately taken care of by our lackluster unemployment system. As someone who's had to use it multiple times across multiple years, I can tell you it's barely functional under ideal political stability circumstances. During this moment in time it's been virtually unusable for 99% of users.

And I bet Washington's is one of the better ones across the country.

• Options
    When are stores going to start requiring that everyone wear a mask before they can enter? That's the next big step.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    When are stores going to start requiring that everyone wear a mask before they can enter? That's the next big step.

I thought there was a city? Country? that was doing that as well. So...at some point soon?

Orca on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

It just sucks.

(Also I actually did reach out to my state reps on a different issue a while back... they don't care, they're not in session.)

They could, and should, have paid unemployment benefits straight to companies and had their HR teams arrange payments to workers like they are doing in Europe. No need for workers to do anything, paychecks just keep coming albeit smaller.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

It just sucks.

They could, and should, have paid unemployment benefits straight to companies and had their HR teams arrange payments to workers like they are doing in Europe. No need for workers to do anything, paychecks just keep coming albeit smaller.

Woosh, I am super skeptical of US companies being reliable enough entities for that to work and not shaft a lot of workers.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

It just sucks.

Woosh, I am super skeptical of US companies being reliable enough entities for that to work and not shaft a lot of workers.

I would expect significant malfeasance by the companies to steal as much of those paychecks as they can get away with.

Based on ample evidence of wage-stealing that is only spottily enforced, especially in food service.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    DNR has already instituted an outdoor burn ban. Guess they don’t want to have to gather a bunch of firefighters in one spot to fight anything.

Kind of funny where im at though. We still have snow covering our burn pile.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    kime wrote: »

It just sucks.

I would expect significant malfeasance by the companies to steal as much of those paychecks as they can get away with.

Based on ample evidence of wage-stealing that is only spottily enforced, especially in food service.

It would be better to have a massive amount of wage theft (which could be HARSHLY punished post pandemic) and to have a solid fraction of workers retain their ties to their companies, receive checks from their normal sources, and not have to worry about the stress and panic of an overloaded benefits system. Some US companies are malicious, to the point that they would steal wages in a pandemic, most are not and would pay them. As they are in pretty much every northern european country, including the UK.

Its a massively better idea for furloughed workers.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sswROAvfeGI

Also, in other news, West Seattle Bridge basically needs a total replacement at this point. Right now, we'd have to spend 2 years on repairs just to get another 10 years.

https://westseattleblog.com/2020/04/happening-now-west-seattle-bridge-may-not-be-fixable-says-sdot-even-if-it-is-closure-will-last-at-least-until-2022/

• Options
    Lol, the reporter isn't respecting the 6 foot distance

it's larger than you think, and goddamn it's hard to remember

• Options
    The West Seattle bridge being closed until 2022 is going to fuck so many of my co-workers who were already super fucked by this pandemic. My entire industry just can't catch a fucking break.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    The West Seattle bridge being closed until 2022 is going to fuck so many of my co-workers who were already super fucked by this pandemic. My entire industry just can't catch a fucking break.

I know a teacher or two in West Seattle, as well. When school finally... exists again it's going to make a hard as hell job even harder. :/

Knowing Seattle, this will just lead to higher rent.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Yeah, RIP my commute (West Seattle to UW) once lockdown ends. We're towards the south end at least, so the alt routes out will be nearby, albeit totally choked with traffic.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    LikeaBoshLikeaBosh Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Some levity regarding the bridge:

"The West Seattle bridge 35 years old and broke - a true millennial."

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    70 year bridge lifespans really seem more like an aspiration than an engineering goal that is taken seriously, christ what poor timing

• Options
    70 year bridge lifespans really seem more like an aspiration than an engineering goal that is taken seriously, christ what poor timing

Probably when it was conceived the load was different than it got. It always seems like when things fail early like this the previous estimate was based on a travel load that was not at all the reality.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Probably when it was conceived the load was different than it got. It always seems like when things fail early like this the previous estimate was based on a travel load that was not at all the reality.

There's also the whole "oh by the way, YOU LIVE ON A HUGE FUCKING FAULT THAT MAKES THE SAN ANDREAS LOOK LIKE A SIDEWAY CRACK" problem

This discussion has been closed.