As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    My wifi worked mostly well for a week, but now it keeps stuttering and screwing up to the point sometimes smash doesn't even let me enter the queue because the connection is too unreliable.

At this rate I guess I'll just have to do what I should have done the first time and just buy an ethernet switch, two extra cables, and an ethernet to usb adapter.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I hope too many games don't release as "only for the Switch Pro".

Well honestly I expect there will be quite a few if its specs are simliar to a low end Xbone or PS4.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    You're nearly buying the pro model just to enhance Nintendo and ID games.

Yup. You don't have to double sell it!

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Capcom would definitely port the Re engine games and Monster Hunter World. Maybe even add some stuff to justify full price ports

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

Capcom would definitely port the Re engine games and Monster Hunter World. Maybe even add some stuff to justify full price ports

I still can't see it being remotely on par with the base PS4/Xbox. Where Doom runs at double the framerate.

Cart size is going to continue to be the largest constraint anyway.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I think that's too hopeful.

I expect it to be basically identical except for resolution, 1080p handheld, runs as if docked, about the same battery life since increased battery capacity + increased power draw. And then docked it can be at 2K or something. And maybe a solution for headphones.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Haven't there been rumors about switch revisions for over a year or so? I think it's getting to the 'I'll believe it when I see it' point.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'll probably do what I usually do and buy it and then Craigslist my older one for a minimal difference. Plenty of Craigslist people willing to grab a Switch even just for 50-75 off MSRP. Worked great when I went from 3DS->N3DS XL and then bought the $100 Black Friday N3DS and resold my XL for less than retail but more than $100.

• Options

I still can't see it being remotely on par with the base PS4/Xbox. Where Doom runs at double the framerate.

Cart size is going to continue to be the largest constraint anyway.

I think it'll be able to run these games probably on something comparable to the low specs for their PC version but not really compete with other consoles

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    My wifi worked mostly well for a week, but now it keeps stuttering and screwing up to the point sometimes smash doesn't even let me enter the queue because the connection is too unreliable.

At this rate I guess I'll just have to do what I should have done the first time and just buy an ethernet switch, two extra cables, and an ethernet to usb adapter.

Are you trying it with an old school WiFi router? I switched (heh) to a wireless mesh, and the difference was noticeable.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Haven't there been rumors about switch revisions for over a year or so? I think it's getting to the 'I'll believe it when I see it' point.

Last year WSJ reported 2019 release. This year WSJ reported... 2019 release, with more details.

This rumor claims an E3 reveal so you can feel more certain one way or the other pretty soon.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I will gladly buy a new Switch that lets it do 1080p handheld. My biggest complaint with the system is that some games look absolutely awful in handheld mode.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Yeah the only upgrade that makes sense would be a power increase that affects handheld mode. Either a screen resolution bump, or more power so it doesn't hold back compared to being docked. I would be perfectly fine with that kind of upgrade.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I'm deeply curious about the finer touches of a Switch refresh. If it's like the DS to the DS Lite, it'll be a must buy for aesthetic and comfort reasons alone. There are a lot of things that can be improved about a handheld aside from raw power. I've also always been struck by how utilitarian and un-Nintendo the actual Switch is sans joycons. So I wouldn't be shocked if they Nintendo'ed it up a bit more in a refresh.

Hey, maybe they'll "fix" the kickstand everyone complains about!

I also wonder how much a power bump will passively improve games. If I've learned anything from watching Digital Foundry's analysis videos, it's that tons of Switch games take advantage of variable resolution scalers. Especially the Panic Button ports and their arcane arts. So fingers crossed they just seamlessly have better image quality with more power driving them?

• Options
    edited March 2019
    A substantial handheld power upgrade is difficult because of battery drain. The current Switch is already way underclocked mainly due to this. You'd have to make it a fair bit thinker/heavier to increase battery life.

There's plenty of room to improve docked performance with some better cooling though, where the current Switch remains substantially underclocked compared to an Nvidia Shield.

Still an enhanced handheld could easily be along the lines of slightly larger 720p screen (reduced bezel) + wider/grippier joy-cons with 3DSXL sized buttons.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We're in the market for a second Switch so obviously we're going to wait a bit at this point. It does bring up an interesting question though - how cheap can they get the lower end model?

I'm guessing the Switch Personal Edition: slightly smaller screen, no included dock, attached joy-cons (so only one battery is needed along with less mechanical parts), and rumor has no rumble. I'm also thinking that you can get rid of the IR camera in the joycon as well (the user would have to get external ones if they wanted to play something like 1,2 Switch or Labo.) Is that enough to get it substantially less, like down to the $200 Pokemon machine parents would probably like to see?

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    There would have to be an impressive list of changes to make me buy a new Switch. They basically nailed it and I see little reason to upgrade. But that's probably just me though.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    Pro joy-cons only available on the new Switch might be what gets me to upgrade.

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    There would have to be an impressive list of changes to make me buy a new Switch. They basically nailed it and I see little reason to upgrade. But that's probably just me though.

I agree, but since I'm going to be adding a new console for the kid this year, it'll be interesting to see if I'm buying a deluxe model for the house and giving him the current one or buying him the cheaper version and keeping our home Switch as-is. I really hope the cheap version has some way to be used with a TV, like an optional dock.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    they need to fix a couple things on the regular switch, but that's just a new X.1 decimal increase, not a new system.
    Mainly make joycons that don't drift and a kickstand that doesn't get wobbly and loose.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    A substantial handheld power upgrade is difficult because of battery drain. The current Switch is already way underclocked mainly due to this. You'd have to make it a fair bit thinker/heavier to increase battery life.

There's plenty of room to improve docked performance with some better cooling though, where the current Switch remains substantially underclocked compared to an Nvidia Shield.

Still an enhanced handheld could easily be along the lines of slightly larger 720p screen (reduced bezel) + wider/grippier joy-cons with 3DSXL sized buttons.

So I've been eyeballing the differences between the Tegra X1 and the Tegra X2. The thing that immediately jumps out at me is it's fabricated on a 16nm process versus 20nm. So you get power savings right away from that, and less heat. It's also uses a Pascal based GPU over a Maxwell based GPU, and there are efficiency gains in that as well.

I don't know how realistic it is for Nintendo to upgrade the innards of the Switch from a Tegra X1 to a Tegra X2. I'm not even sure what their compatibility is, although it appears to all be ARM CPUs. At a minimum we may see Tegra X1 chipsets on a smaller process for power and heat savings. Although if heat is a restricting factor for how much power it can churn out docked, we may see them loosen the reigns on that.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Every year, Apple and Qualcomm make new processors / SoC for their mobile devices that see something in the neighborhood of a 15-50% improvement in capabilities from the last version, without having to drastically improve battery capacity. In some cases, it uses less!

I personally would be happy as all hell if Nintendo made a new switch same as the old switch, with more power and full backwards compatibility, every 2-3 years in perpetuity, and keep the old one supported for as many revisions as makes sense.

Like, avoid the pro moniker all together, just go Switch 2, Switch 3, etc. etc. ala the iPhone or Galaxy line, and break the console generation cycle.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Oh man. The distraught kids that are going to end up with accidental Shitty Switch instead of Super Switch because of a parental or grand-parental mix up with birthday or christmas presents.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    Oh man. The distraught kids that are going to end up with accidental Shitty Switch instead of Super Switch because of a parental or grand-parental mix up with birthday or christmas presents.

That's true. I once got a Sega Genesis instead of a Super Nintendo and I still haven't forgiven them.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

"my mom got me a switch 2 instead of a switch 3 I HATE YOU!1" will 100% be screenshots that show up on /r/gaming come the following Christmas and will make me hate everything.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    While it would be neat do just do iPad style revisions (with hopefully more practical naming conventions than Apple has devolved into), I don't know how well that would work long term. Eventually Switch 1 will have to be dropped from support, and how do you communicate that to consumers that cartridges that still fit into it, won't work?

In my hopes for revision would be the joy-cons themselves. I've seen mods for metal retaining clips, and I would love to have some that are a bit more robust as I've got one that doesn't always clip in right and won't charge, and another that doesn't clip well at all. The rails seem like such a solid thing, but end up being a bit too flexible.

Also, does anyone else see this when they look at Syndalis' post? Or am I just taking crazy pills?
    twums0txzkwr.png

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    The New Nintendo SwitchU

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

That's true. I once got a Sega Genesis instead of a Super Nintendo and I still haven't forgiven them.

When I was a kid I actually left that up to my mother. I said "I want a new console, I don't care if it's Genesis or SNES, surprise me. Here's a list of games I'd like for both." In the end I got the Genesis (Sonic 1 bundle), Might and Magic and ESwat and it was awesome.

I can't imagine whatever Nintendo does will be any messier than the 3DS/2DS/n3DS models they had going for awhile.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    If they give you examples of what Switches are available, would those be Swatches

I'm sorry

• Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    While it would be neat do just do iPad style revisions (with hopefully more practical naming conventions than Apple has devolved into), I don't know how well that would work long term. Eventually Switch 1 will have to be dropped from support, and how do you communicate that to consumers that cartridges that still fit into it, won't work?

In my hopes for revision would be the joy-cons themselves. I've seen mods for metal retaining clips, and I would love to have some that are a bit more robust as I've got one that doesn't always clip in right and won't charge, and another that doesn't clip well at all. The rails seem like such a solid thing, but end up being a bit too flexible.

Also, does anyone else see this when they look at Syndalis' post? Or am I just taking crazy pills?
    twums0txzkwr.png

There's a story in there about his Xbox watermark.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Huh, I'm running ye olde style so he still shows the apple for me.

Wonder if they will have Switches that no longer Switch, basically the 2DS version of the Switch.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    Huh, I'm running ye olde style so he still shows the apple for me.

Wonder if they will have Switches that no longer Switch, basically the 2DS version of the Switch.

The rabbit hole of posts I started reading it seems to appear to alternate back and forth between the Apple and Xbox.

Anyway, I'm derailing the thread. A switch that doesn't switch I could see happening eventually. Could be the size of a Roku, really, and just have a card slot, microSD slot (maybe a full size slot?), and sync button for connecting a controller. Would be interesting if it happened.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    If they give you examples of what Switches are available, would those be Swatches

I'm sorry

I made this joke when the switch launched, it was a 100% original joke, do not steal!!!11

sig.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The only change I want to the switch is the UI
    I got spoiled on the 3ds and feel it should be more like that and you could sell themes!

You can move the icons to the top between the user and battery info. You can shrink the game icons by 75% so you can double stack them then. It will not longer have the history of games you have played. Taunting you with the well you played BotW months ago. So it would just show what game is in the slot and what games you downloaded

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    they need to fix a couple things on the regular switch, but that's just a new X.1 decimal increase, not a new system.
    Mainly make joycons that don't drift and a kickstand that doesn't get wobbly and loose.

It's weird how terrible the Joycons are, in ways that aren't necessitated by their construction. I can accept them being a bit flimsy since they need to be light, but there are a bunch of issues like the radio weakness and stick drift that I've never seen on any other official controller.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

It's weird how terrible the Joycons are, in ways that aren't necessitated by their construction. I can accept them being a bit flimsy since they need to be light, but there are a bunch of issues like the radio weakness and stick drift that I've never seen on any other official controller.

The sticks are just garbage in general. Why aren't they just the same sticks as the Pro Controller, just slightly smaller!!!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i think the ipad isn't a terrible comparison. the ipad 1 is no longer supported and hasn't been for a few years. The device itself will pop up and tell you giving you plenty of notice. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do but there are solutions to that particular challenge. The 3ds lines are less of a good example because there were only a few games that don't play on any edition (the new special plus plus version or whatever). So as long as they make that mistake, they can do whatever.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

Stick drift I'm absolutely certain is due to construction, and the cause is due to dust or grime getting into the stick mechanics. A normal stick on a controller is all one piece, the thumb head, the stick, and the giant plastic dome it sits on which covers the actual internal mechanics. If you look at the joycon stick, the "dome" is just a plastic cap covering the internals and you can flip it up with a toothpick and see right inside. It's far easier for something to slip inside the joycon versus a regular controller.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I spent half a can of Dust-Off and no deal.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    nusu wrote: »
    Pro joy-cons only available on the new Switch might be what gets me to upgrade.

Not for me.

But if those pro joy-cons were sold separately and they worked on the regular Switch, then I'd probably buy a couple.