As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Kross post from the MK thread but... MK11 Switch is supposed to be playable at PAX East. I'm 80% expecting a dumpster fire. Guess we will find out soon!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Kross post from the MK thread but... MK11 Switch is supposed to be playable at PAX East. I'm 80% expecting a dumpster fire. Guess we will find out soon!

Of course it'll be a dumpster fire, it's Mortal Kombat. :wink:

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Man, what? They're releasing an actual hardware/performance upgrade after 2 years? I was fully expecting new models that are lighter with more battery power or what have you, but definitely not that I would need to upgrade it more often than my PC.

That's not exactly what I was expecting from my new Nintendo console, and is honestly super lame.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Man, what? They're releasing an actual hardware/performance upgrade after 2 years? I was fully expecting new models that are lighter with more battery power or what have you, but definitely not that I would need to upgrade it more often than my PC.

That's not exactly what I was expecting from my new Nintendo console, and is honestly super lame.

You won't need to upgrade it more often than you upgrade your PC, any more than you "need" to upgrade from a PS4 to a PS4 Pro or an XBox One to a One X. We don't know what the power jump will even be, but it's a safe bet that 99.9% of games will be optimized for the OG Switch.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    As to an actual upgraded version of the Switch? Eeeeeeh, I really don't expect it.

The Switch is selling stupid fine as is, very little reason for them to dump more money in to producing a beefier version.

Hell, we've had these "new Switch variants" rumors since before the Switch even launched.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I have a feeling you understand what I meant. One of the advantages of a console is not needing to buy a new version to play the newest games the "best". No, I don't need to upgrade to the Switch+ any more than I need to upgrade my GPU every time a slightly better one comes out, but we have all come to understand consoles as different than PCs with different value propositions. When I bought the Switch two years ago, I did not expect there to be a performance upgrade coming out in 2 years. This was a reasonable assumption, because Nintendo's history says this is how it works. They'll release a slicker model with better battery life or something, and I can live with that. The DSi was a negligible performance boost, and the N3DS came out 3.5 years later and was barely used at all.

Two years is suuuuper quick. It's faster than the PS Pro, faster than the XB1X, and from a company that does not have the reputation of chasing graphics and performance upgrades. I'm pretty sure time has shown that these half-generation upgrades do lead to games being released that run like ass on the original -- I know a lot of people complained about Hyrule Warriors on the 3DS, and there have been multiple people in the Path of Exile thread claiming the game runs terribly on an XB1 but great on an XB1X.

However, I understand that any further comment I make will be a big ol' retread of the PS Pro thread two-three years ago. You're either cool with it or you're not, and I will be much more hesitant to buy Nintendo hardware in the future as a result.
    Axen wrote: »
    As to an actual upgraded version of the Switch? Eeeeeeh, I really don't expect it.

The Switch is selling stupid fine as is, very little reason for them to dump more money in to producing a beefier version.

Hell, we've had these "new Switch variants" rumors since before the Switch even launched.

Being sourced in the WSJ makes this one seem pretty legit. I hope you're right though!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    However, I understand that any further comment I make will be a big ol' retread of the PS Pro thread two-three years ago. You're either cool with it or you're not, and I will be much more hesitant to buy Nintendo hardware in the future as a result.

I don't get this. Nintendo has upgraded/modified their hardware constantly since the very beginning. The NES got a top loader design that fixed the cartridge slot issues the original had. The GB got a color upgrade that also enhanced the hardware a half-step toward GBA. The GBA got a whole new form factor with backlighting to fix a major issue the original had. The DS got DSi with cameras and a small hardware bump, partly to be able to support its own eShop. Wii got a smaller form factor. 3DS got an upgrade to New 3DS with slightly better specs to run Hyrule Warriors better and also Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

I don't get this. Nintendo has upgraded/modified their hardware constantly since the very beginning. The NES got a top loader design that fixed the cartridge slot issues the original had. The GB got a color upgrade that also enhanced the hardware a half-step toward GBA. The GBA got a whole new form factor with backlighting to fix a major issue the original had. The DS got DSi with cameras and a small hardware bump, partly to be able to support its own eShop. Wii got a smaller form factor. 3DS got an upgrade to New 3DS with slightly better specs to run Hyrule Warriors better and also Xenoblade Chronicles X.

And if we want to look at slight revisions, the GBA got the original, the side lit SP, the front lit SP, and the back lit SP, IIRC.

So even if we see a "revision", it may just be a larger battery or more power efficient processor or better joy con rails.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I don't even know why the joycons are on rails when everyone knows that on-rails design is super antiquated these days.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Should note that the WSJ says that the enhanced model "is not like what the PS4 pro did"

That doesn't mean "its not on par with the PS4 pro" as some have interpreted. It means its not doing the kind of enhancement that the PS4 pro did over the base model. Whether that means in terms of the degree of resolution/peformance gap with the base model, or that there is even any kind of performance difference at all.

In fact the article even claims that both of these new models don't even *look* like the current Switch. With the Vita being referenced its pretty obvious why that is for the mini, but less so for the enhanced one.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Not Switch specific but WayForward announced a new Shantae!

Ret-2-Go!

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I think one of the key issues with any design revision or upgrade is that you don't feel like you got a goat. By that I mean feeling that you now have an inferior machine. I would argue that the likes of the GBA and original DS revisions avoided this. All they did was improve form factor. Sleeker designs, superior backlighting, but otherwise they played games identically (that said if you wanted to argue that the clearer screens and backlighting were objectively superior, I wouldn't stop ya). Then we got the New 3DS, which had objectively superior hardware and functionality, although in hindsight very little actually came from it. And we have the PS4 Pro and Xbone X, which again have very clear superior power and games have better graphics and framerates. I wouldn't blame anybody who had a regular PS4 or Xbone and said "I feel like I have the less superior system and am getting a lesser experience out of it".

So hopefully a new Switch kind of avoids that issue. I would be really disappointed if it turned out to be more powerful, with a more intricate dock that had cooling fans and other tech, and games got better framerates over the regular Switch. Because then people will be able to say "Gee now I'm playing an inferior version of this game, and that feels really crappy". I said earlier I'd be fine if it was just more powerful in handheld mode and just brought it to parity with docked performance. That's be the best of both worlds. You got a clear upgrade, but previous owners don't feel completely screwed.

The whole thing's a pretty fine line, and more of a "I'll know it when I see it" kind of thing.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    they need to fix a couple things on the regular switch, but that's just a new X.1 decimal increase, not a new system.
    Mainly make joycons that don't drift and a kickstand that doesn't get wobbly and loose.

It's weird how terrible the Joycons are, in ways that aren't necessitated by their construction. I can accept them being a bit flimsy since they need to be light, but there are a bunch of issues like the radio weakness and stick drift that I've never seen on any other official controller.

Stick drift I'm absolutely certain is due to construction, and the cause is due to dust or grime getting into the stick mechanics. A normal stick on a controller is all one piece, the thumb head, the stick, and the giant plastic dome it sits on which covers the actual internal mechanics. If you look at the joycon stick, the "dome" is just a plastic cap covering the internals and you can flip it up with a toothpick and see right inside. It's far easier for something to slip inside the joycon versus a regular controller.

It's weird how consistent it is, though. Left sticks always seem to get stuck on the left, while right sticks get stuck going down.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Ret-2-Go!

Love the use of her ponytail for the 5.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    While it would be neat do just do iPad style revisions (with hopefully more practical naming conventions than Apple has devolved into), I don't know how well that would work long term. Eventually Switch 1 will have to be dropped from support, and how do you communicate that to consumers that cartridges that still fit into it, won't work?

In my hopes for revision would be the joy-cons themselves. I've seen mods for metal retaining clips, and I would love to have some that are a bit more robust as I've got one that doesn't always clip in right and won't charge, and another that doesn't clip well at all. The rails seem like such a solid thing, but end up being a bit too flexible.

Also, does anyone else see this when they look at Syndalis' post? Or am I just taking crazy pills?
    twums0txzkwr.png

There's a story in there about his Xbox watermark.

Only if you descramble the photo and can speak binary. And Latin.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Edit

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    The fact that they tried to actually revise the hardware with the New 3ds and it didn't really take off makes me more skeptical they would do that again, with a console that is doing way better than the 3ds was at the time.

sig.gif
  • Options
    It all makes sense if as rumored earlier it's due to needing a new chipset that isn't hacked day one. I mean, I think that's a losing prospect anyway, and regardless of how piratable Switch is or will be, it's not as bad as the worst days of DS when soccer moms were buying mod carts with a hundred games preloaded.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Switches produced past a certain date are already immune to the known hacking methods. They wouldn't release a new chipset purely to combat that. Although I'm sure they will include new security alongside any new chip.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

Shantae 5 releases on pretty much every platform there is this year.

Edit: oh darn, I got ninja'd!

edzepp on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Reminder that Yoshi's Crafted World comes out Friday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO8BTNJUTjk

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    Pretty pumped for Yoshi.
    I’m of the feeling these revisions will not actually change the performance of the games. Better battery, more durable joycons and kickstand, a headphone/mic solution, better quality/resolution screen. The less expensive model can shrink a tad, attach the joycons, increase durability, up the battery life, and introduce a few colour options.
    It has only been two years and I don’t hear any massive outcry about any particular flaws like the GBA screen darkness or the ugliness of the original DS. I will be shocked if they do something crazy like change the form/size of the joycon or drastically bump the specs.
    Excited to see what happens, though!

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Just seems odd to bring out a cheaper version aimed more at the casual players with non-detachable joy-cons, and then have a some of the biggest casual games (Super Mario Party, 1,2 Switch, Just Dance) require single joy-cons to play.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Imagine the bundling (I'm sure Nintendo is)!

edzepp on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    McFodder wrote: »
    Just seems odd to bring out a cheaper version aimed more at the casual players with non-detachable joy-cons, and then have a some of the biggest casual games (Super Mario Party, 1,2 Switch, Just Dance) require single joy-cons to play.

Its a smaller, handheld-focused, "vita looking" system. These are couch multiplayer games that are unplayable in handheld. The crossover of interest will be pretty low. Pokemon and Animal Crossing are going to be the bread and butter of this model.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Good point, I stand corrected!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Ret-2-Go!

Love the use of her ponytail for the 5.

. . .

How did I not notice that before you pointed it out?

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    More options for us is never a bad thing.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options

If this were true, more people would be building pc's from parts. More options is often bad, especially when people are not sure which option is best for them, or if they feel some options will leave them left out.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Additionally, sometimes the artists of a creative work have to limit options and give people something they didn't even know they wanted, otherwise they would've never chosen it on their own.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

If this were true, more people would be building pc's from parts. More options is often bad, especially when people are not sure which option is best for them, or if they feel some options will leave them left out.

Overchoice is indeed an actual psychological phenomenon that's pretty counterintuitive, but I don't think that's the reason people aren't building PCs. PC building has almost no real benefit to your average consumer, seems intimidating to the uninitiated, comes with no easy one place to call for a warranty, and researching what PC to build with what takes time and effort.

If I told my mom to go to MicroCenter and get me the parts for a PC unaided I'd be lucky if she even had all the parts much less if they were compatible, and her researching that would take hours versus she could wander into Best Buy and be like "I would like a fast computer please" and be done in 30 minutes.

I imagine that conversation upon her return would involve "Oh I got you a power supply, there's a cable right here" and "what do you mean this board is Intel but the processor is AMD?"

• Options
    edited March 2019

I specifically acknowledged most of what you brought up in the post you're quoting, and as such I'm not really sure what you're getting at.

If it's just a DSi style minor upgrade, or any of the revisions they did to the GBA or any of their prior consoles, that's specifically what I'm NOT worried about. Nintendo messes with form factor, brightness, and battery life all of the time. To not expect revisions of that nature would be ignoring their history -- as I mentioned already. I don't know how to restate or emphasize more than I already have that I am not talking about a form factor upgrade or a camera.

A PS4 pro style upgrade after 2.5 years would be super wack to me. That is not in keeping with Nintendo's history -- the PS4 pro model is a new idea this generation that Microsoft and Sony had barely gotten into when the Switch was announced, and Nintendo has always been the oddball that isn't as concerned with raw horsepower.

That being said, the WSJ article does leave wiggle room. If they announce a switch pro with 40% better framerates, my current hardware is going to feel pretty wack. That's less of a peak lifespan than my cellphone, and significantly less than my PC. If it's something a lot more minor than that then hooray Nintendo, business as usual.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular

I specifically acknowledged most of what you brought up in the post you're quoting, and as such I'm not really sure what you're getting at.

If it's just a DSi style minor upgrade, or any of the revisions they did to the GBA or any of their prior consoles, that's specifically what I'm NOT worried about. Nintendo messes with form factor, brightness, and battery life all of the time. To not expect revisions of that nature would be ignoring their history -- as I mentioned already. I don't know how to restate or emphasize more than I already have that I am not talking about a form factor upgrade or a camera.

A PS4 pro style upgrade after 2.5 years would be super wack to me. That is not in keeping with Nintendo's history -- the PS4 pro model is a new idea this generation that Microsoft and Sony had barely gotten into when the Switch was announced, and Nintendo has always been the oddball that isn't as concerned with raw horsepower.

That being said, the WSJ article does leave wiggle room. If they announce a switch pro with 40% better framerates, my current hardware is going to feel pretty wack. That's less of a peak lifespan than my cellphone, and significantly less than my PC. If it's something a lot more minor than that then hooray Nintendo, business as usual.

Here is a grey area. How would you feel about a larger, higher resolution screen with less of a bezel? Same form factor. It has innards made on a smaller fabrication process, and the heat/power savings goes into giving you docked performance in handheld mode. Docked performance gets a smaller bump on account of the heat savings that say, allow scenes like the Lost Woods in Breath of the Wild to not chug as it so famously did. And games with variable resolution like Doom and Warframe don't downscale as much.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    So NIS is coming back with a new Labyrinth game, according to Dengeki Playstation weekly (JP magazine) the title is "Labyrinth of Galleria: Coven of Dusk"

here is the teaser site:

https://nippon1.jp/consumer/newtitle190322/

Here's what we know:

– Directed by Tatsyua Izumi, who also wrote the scenario
    – Character design is by Takehito Harada
    – Music is composed by Tenpei Sato
    – Announced characters include the protagonist (an exorcism lamp?), someone named Eureka, the witch Madam Malta, and Madam Malta’s granddaughter Perico
    – The development team is made up of staff that worked on the first game
    – Emi Evans is back for the music
    – The game itself is described as more of a successor than it is a sequel
    - New Story and New Characters
    - New Miramachina system that lets you place a tank in front of the part to assist in battle

https://nintendoeverything.com/nippon-ichi-announces-labyrinth-of-refrain-followup-labyrinth-of-galleria-coven-of-dusk-for-switch/

Siliconera wrote:

Tatsuya Izumi, who previously wrote and directed Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk and The Witch and the Hundred Knight, is the scenario writer and director for Labyrinth of Galleria: Coven of Dusk. Joining him is Takehito Harada as the character designer and Tenpei Sato as the composer.

The story setting and characters are completely new. The magazine shows off the protagonist and other characters including the energetic and optimistic Eureka, a witch known as Madam Malta and her granddaugther named Periko.

A new “Miramachina” feature is also introduced. This allows you to call out a tank that stands in front of the party. While you can’t give it commands, they can attack to help out the party.

The same guys behind the development of Labyrinth of Refrain will be working on the game and Emi Evans returns for music, but the game itself is considered more of a follow-up title than a sequel. Ryokutya notes that it certainly feels more like a successor as the game’s world and era feels different from the previous title as well.

Labyrinth of Galleria: Coven of Dusk releases for PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, and Nintendo Switch in Japan on July 25, 2019. It’ll get a limited edition version with its OST and other bonuses to be revealed on a later date.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/03/26/nippon-ichi-softwares-teaser-revealed-as-labyrinth-of-galleria-for-ps4-ps-vita-and-switch/

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »

Overchoice is indeed an actual psychological phenomenon that's pretty counterintuitive, but I don't think that's the reason people aren't building PCs. PC building has almost no real benefit to your average consumer, seems intimidating to the uninitiated, comes with no easy one place to call for a warranty, and researching what PC to build with what takes time and effort.

If I told my mom to go to MicroCenter and get me the parts for a PC unaided I'd be lucky if she even had all the parts much less if they were compatible, and her researching that would take hours versus she could wander into Best Buy and be like "I would like a fast computer please" and be done in 30 minutes.

I imagine that conversation upon her return would involve "Oh I got you a power supply, there's a cable right here" and "what do you mean this board is Intel but the processor is AMD?"

Yeah, this is all my point. There's a lot of learning and research to do, and that's a consequence of increasing options - making a pc from parts is just the extreme end of choice. Even for something like the ps4 pro - I don't have a ps4 yet, but when I get one, I'm going to need to research what the difference is between them, whether there are any games that only play on the later one, what the differences are for existing games. That's going to take time and work, even for that simple of a difference. You can't just make a blanket statement 'adding choices is better'.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    With the advent of these two new Switch models - one of them allegedly a more portable-oriented device - I think it's not unreasonable to expect particularly game-dedicated households (who could afford it) to have multiple Switches (of multiple types). Like, I can see myself keeping my launch Switch docked at home, and getting the (allegedly) extra-portable one for my daily commute.

I really love the Switch, but the connection between the JoyCons and the Switch body makes me a bit nervous. About 99% of my Switch time is spent during my commute, and I feel that flex between the JoyCons and the Switch body every day. I had to send my Switch to get repaired at one point because the left JoyCon stopped registering as being attached, I think because there were too many times where I held it with only my left hand, putting stress on the connection rail/contacts/screws/whatever. I got a sturdy one-piece case that wraps the entire Switch and makes it feel like a single, solid unit, and it's been pretty good - but I can't slide it into the dock with the case on, and taking the case off takes a lot of effort. If there was a Switch with the same screen size and no compromise in power/battery life, but a single unified body, I would very strongly consider picking it up.

Anyway, the point is: I wonder if Nintendo will put any work into the user account system to make it easier to switch (a-heh-heh-heh) from one Switch to another. I know you can do some trickery with registering your account as a guest account on one of the Switches, but I mean something that acknowledges that a person might conceivably have access to multiple Switches and might move from one to the other on a regular basis. My assumption is "no", and that Nintendo considers their current system to be fine, but I can dream.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Anyway, the point is: I wonder if Nintendo will put any work into the user account system to make it easier to switch (a-heh-heh-heh) from one Switch to another. I know you can do some trickery with registering your account as a guest account on one of the Switches, but I mean something that acknowledges that a person might conceivably have access to multiple Switches and might move from one to the other on a regular basis. My assumption is "no", and that Nintendo considers their current system to be fine, but I can dream.

Their track record is pretty crap but it could open up a*lot* if they do something here. Like if they got this working, the "enhanced" model could just be a box, easily unlocking the tegra's potential at possibly the same cost or even less. With the expectation that dedicated types might buy both the box and the mini to have something that is the best at each use case and sync them up at home, as opposed to the current hybrid of compromises.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I understand people love new hardware but I would have been so much more excited if we were getting a big operating system update instead. I really need folders and/or sorting and would love to be able to hide the icons for non inserted cartridges.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I understand people love new hardware but I would have been so much more excited if we were getting a big operating system update instead. I really need folders and/or sorting and would love to be able to hide the icons for non inserted cartridges.

No reason to think that both arent in development

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

No reason to think that both arent in development

It's been 2 years right? I doubt they're suddenly going to care that their UI is terrible