As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who, of these, is the scariest video game character to be chased by?

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    There's no escaping this guy. Whatever you try, at best it's putting off the inevitable. When he decides to go after you, it's a matter of when, not if. He cannot be stopped, and you cannot escape.
    Droopy_dog.png

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    '7' because '7' ate '9'

discrider on
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    SA-X (Metroid Fusion)
    SA-X, no contest

Mr. X stopped being as scary by the end of my first RE2 run

Whenever I go back to Metroid Fusion, even though I have memorized every SA-X sequence in the game, I end up whispering "oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck" when I hear those footsteps

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I was expecting Dr Salvador

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The Ghost Lady (Evil Within 2)
    Related to this poll: folks should really play Evil Within 2 if they like spooky games. It's... it's got some shit in it, and the ghost lady might be the worst of those

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    SA-X (Metroid Fusion)
    I submit, for your consideration: a single bear

https://youtu.be/WWet783dh3g

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Chainsaw dudes from RE4 for me. Runner-up were the Iron Maidens, which *checks notes* are even more horrifying than I remember.

They just want to give you a cuddle!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The wolverine in the bathroom cupboard in the beginning of Until Dawn.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Nemesis (Resident Evil 3: Nemesis)
    Nemesis. Never played RE3 long enough to understand his mechanics, so he remains this horrific emblem for me. Mr. X is slowly becoming less terrifying for me; probably helps that he’s now in beachwear.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Lu Bu. In one mission, he becomes so angry when you lock him in and burn him alive, that he glows yellow and runs faster than horses for the rest of the mission.
    Your best hope is to only attack him when there is a generic mook nearby that you can outrun instead of outrunning Lu Bu, and hope that you find another healing food before he finds you.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Nemesis ends up feeling more like a rival if you play RE3 more than once. He's less of an inescapable doom and more of a walking vending machine for goodies.

(I prefer him to Mr X tho, and cannot wait to see how rough they give it to us in RE3make)

Oh brilliant
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Or SkiFree, probably.
    tumblr_mb7dfpUnfs1raxcygo1_400.gif

PLA on
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Outside of jump scares video games have never really got to me that bad. But I will present my brother's reaction instead. In RE2 , original no clue about remake, you eventually end up in the sewers. At some point you enter a room or tunnel, and suddenly the camera shifts and there are giant spiders. Now being a single player game my brother and I were talking turns playing. He happened to be playing at this point. He literally screams, throws the controller at me, and flees the room. He was maybe 10 or 11. It was hilarious to me but he was genuinely terrified.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    SA-X (Metroid Fusion)
    Was genuinely prepared to vote for Phanto when I clicked on this thread

Of the options given I chose the one I believe scariest but it's a race for second place

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The fucking dogs in RE1 scared the shit out of me the first time.

There hasn't really been jump scares in games before!

I wasn't prepared!

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I've never played those games

soooooooo

I'm going to say those hand things that fall on you in many Legend of Zelda dungeons

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

soooooooo

I'm going to say those hand things that fall on you in many Legend of Zelda dungeons

Wall Masters which seem to be a common fear. They always annoyed me more then scared me.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    Hmmm

Evil Within 2 would be a fun community playthrough

dN0T6ur.png
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    By far these fellows from Ocarina of Time:
    w3mrdq76m19b.png

They don't even chase you that far but I don't know of any enemy that evoked the same sheer terror in me to get the fuck away

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Locking down your ability to act and slowly reducing your health is one of the more terrifying things a video game can do. Even if you know you can probably survive it, the helplessness and giving you time to really process what's happening is some goddamn psychological warfare

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Amnesia had the fun mechanic where looking at an enemy drained your sanity, and sometimes gave away your position

So to hide, you also had to look away from the monster

fucking brilliant

Miss me? Find me on:

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    Amnesia had the fun mechanic where looking at an enemy drained your sanity, and sometimes gave away your position

fucking brilliant

SOMA did the same thing.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Now that i think back about it, pac man was a thriller horror kinda like saw huh

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Bubsy

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    3clipse wrote: »

fucking brilliant

SOMA did the same thing.

same developer!

Miss me? Find me on:

Honestly the scariest video game character to be chased by would probably be the DOOM Marine

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Mr. X (Resident Evil 2 Remake)
    furlion wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

soooooooo

Wall Masters which seem to be a common fear. They always annoyed me more then scared me.

Modern wallmasters are worse somehow

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    does getting tech chased by ganon count

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

fucking brilliant

SOMA did the same thing.

same developer!

Yeah I guess more than a 5 word post explaining that they carried the mechanic forward would have been good :D

Both games are great and terrifying.

does getting tech chased by ganon count

Did you roll to his opposite side?

dN0T6ur.png
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    You know who I do not want to be chased by, the OG:

zd5cgfrr3lwa.png

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    The Gruu. You can't even see em. They are just likely to eat you.

Bucketman wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nigRT2KmCE

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    SA-X (Metroid Fusion)
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Bubsy

w h a t c o u l d p o s s i b l y g o w r o n g ?

Bucketman wrote: »

I'd be more worried about his minions honestly

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Mr. X (Resident Evil 2 Remake)
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Hmmm

Evil Within 2 would be a fun community playthrough

I'd play it again.

It goes on sale pretty frequently too for folks that don't have it.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    weird wyborn you seem to have only chosen sexy things

Gundi wrote: »
    weird wyborn you seem to have only chosen sexy things

well yeah isn't the title "who of these is the sexiest video game character to be chased by?"

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular

fucking brilliant

SOMA did the same thing.

same developer!

Yeah I guess more than a 5 word post explaining that they carried the mechanic forward would have been good :D

Both games are great and terrifying.

SOMA has the only moment I literally had to stop playing because I couldn't go on. They tailored a fear specifically to me.

Near endgame spoilers:
    When you're underwater and the current is going crazy and real strong, and you find that document that says beware of the fish with the lure on it's head, and then you turn and the NEXT thing says "follow the light posts to safety."

...and you see them branching off and know some are that fucking fish.

I am TERRIFIED of deep sea stuff. I have a very weird love/hate with it where I watch Blue Planet and all that because I want to KNOW about it, but those things are literally my deepest, deepest fear.

In that moment I just couldn't risk it and I left the room and looked up exactly where to go to avoid it, and then made my wife play it until we were clear.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    See while I didn't find SOMA very scary at all. I enjoyed the story, and the presentation, but SOMA rarely managed to spoop me.

Gundi on