Options

[Dead or Alive 6 & X3] Stop sniggering at the back there

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    There is a complete version of 5, too; it's hard to find in amongst all the DLC on the Xbox store and the price is far too high for its age, but grab it cheap on disc and you're all set. (There's only two DLC characters not included.)

6 is going to have an F2P release in due course - that's obvious from how it installs, with a ton of entries for most characters - but it's not available like that yet.

If you want all the characters, the full games are a far better value proposition. If you just want one or two mains, the F2P version is fine (the full cast are still available to the AI or online opponents with the full version.)
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Great, I'm glad to hear this. Now to debate on buying it now or waiting a bit... I always enjoyed the DoA series for fun arena levels.

Dooooooo eeeeeeet :twisted:

But... But I have a PS4... So is this complete version called DoA 5 Last Round? I was looking and am still confused. Honestly I passed on the F2P versions since I'm still a bit old school where I like buying a game with almost everything on the disc. I say almost these days since I at least have come to terms with DLC. I do appreciate it when companies make a complete game release later on though.

Don’t try to make sense of the DoA5 DLC, that way lies madness. I had to use a checklist to make sure I bought all of the costumes without buying anything twice.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So is there any real reason to pick up DoA6 if you have DoA5? From what I've seen, it doesn't look like there's really been any gameplay changes and it's mostly just an engine upgrade and some swapped characters.

I don't recall a break system in DoA5...but it's been a whiles since I last played. And, from what I've heard (haven't had a chance to play most of them), the arenas are kinda changed up a fair bit.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Sorry for the double-posting, but I figured this might be somewhat relevant to any PC fighters out there:

Apparently there's an issue with the "Pre-purchase bonus content" (making Nyotengu available to play and an extra costume for Kasumi). From what it's sounding like, it's an unmentioned Steam-exclusive thing. If you buy the game from any other vendor (say, GMG), you're not going to have Nyotengu as an available fighter.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    So is there any real reason to pick up DoA6 if you have DoA5? From what I've seen, it doesn't look like there's really been any gameplay changes and it's mostly just an engine upgrade and some swapped characters.

I don't recall a break system in DoA5...but it's been a whiles since I last played. And, from what I've heard (haven't had a chance to play most of them), the arenas are kinda changed up a fair bit.

Yup. New arenas (almost all of them), two new characters (a shame it wasn't more but as I understand it the budget was tight), new Break system and Fatal Rush / Fatal Stun system, stuff like that (which also adds a button, RB/R1, to your repertoire). Also DOA Quest mode. It does play a bit differently but it's still very much part of the same series, it doesn't reinvent the wheel.

But I've played the shit out of DOA5, on and off for years (and still will, I gots costumes to unlock still, on Xbone and PC), and 6 does feel pretty fresh. As much as your typical fighting game sequel ever does.

Jazz on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Wait, you're asking for a reason to buy a game? Or wishlist it?
    Just kidding with you. But glad there is a difference between the two.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Sorry for the double-posting, but I figured this might be somewhat relevant to any PC fighters out there:

Apparently there's an issue with the "Pre-purchase bonus content" (making Nyotengu available to play and an extra costume for Kasumi). From what it's sounding like, it's an unmentioned Steam-exclusive thing. If you buy the game from any other vendor (say, GMG), you're not going to have Nyotengu as an available fighter.

Well, that sucks shit. :sad:

At least buying Nyotengu as DLC isn't horrendously expensive, but that's not the point - she should have been included. Especially if the vendor's page mentioned her as a pre-order bonus; that's false advertising if they did. (Although it may still be Koei Tecmo at fault.)

Jazz on
  • Options

At least buying Nyotengu as DLC isn't horrendously expensive, but that's not the point - she should have been included. Especially if the vendor's page mentioned her as a pre-order bonus; that's false advertising if they did. (Although it may still be Koei Tecmo at fault.)

It's a weird case. On GMG's website, they didn't mention it. On Steam's site, they actually didn't have a preorder page up (from my understanding)...but they did have the blurb:
    EARLY PURCHASE BONUS
    Purchase before March 31, 2019 and receive Early Purchase Bonus.

Not mentioned (on the Steam page) is the Steam exclusivity of that bonus. According to Koei, the sent codes to GMG that were without the bonus content...but the codes are still Steam codes...and Steam has no option to buy non-bonus content DoA6 (the only current options are DoA6+Bonus or DoA6 Deluxe (shoot, there's not even an option to pick up a Deluxe Content upgrade if you have the standard version)).

Oh, and to rub salt in that irritation: you actually can't buy Nyotengu atm. On PC, the only DLC you can buy is the $92.99 Season 1 Pass.

• Options
    Blimey. I'm sure Nyotengu will be up on her own soon - well, I hope. She is up on Xbox so I hope it's just a matter of time. Poor show not including a code for her with non-Steam store copies, though. Very poor show. (Something something Japanese publishers and not "getting" PC games, right?)

I'm waiting for the Deluxe edition upgrade to become available on its own too. Deluxe wasn't available with physical copies at all, and I freely admit there are some costumes in that I want. (Helena's made my jaw hit the floor, but then I do unashamedly have a bit of a thing for her as it is.)

• Options
    Blimey. I'm sure Nyotengu will be up on her own soon - well, I hope. She is up on Xbox so I hope it's just a matter of time. Poor show not including a code for her with non-Steam store copies, though. Very poor show. (Something something Japanese publishers and not "getting" PC games, right?)

I'm waiting for the Deluxe edition upgrade to become available on its own too. Deluxe wasn't available with physical copies at all, and I freely admit there are some costumes in that I want. (Helena's made my jaw hit the floor, but then I do unashamedly have a bit of a thing for her as it is.)

She is the first character I've played (and most played character) in every DoA game since I first started playing DoA back on the Dreamcast.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Also, and I know this is going to piss @Synthesis off to no end... but there's no tag battles, are there? That's a bit of a slip-up.

And they're not on the update roadmap. (So far.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited March 2019

She is the first character I've played (and most played character) in every DoA game since I first started playing DoA back on the Dreamcast.

You have good taste, you do. :)
    nt6wtio9bij4.jpg

Jaw meet floor.

Jazz on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Lol logged onto steam to do the warframe event for the weekend real quick and the add thing popped up. Of course tekken is 50% of on doa6 release day, and also somehow doa6 is 10% off on steam as well.

• Options

Oh yay maybe that will mitigate the ridiculous costume pattern part grind... hang on, ranked only?

Fuck's sake.

• Options
    My power came back on! And it only took like six hours to go from we-can-see-our-breath-in-here to a balmy 68 degrees American. The cats are happy, the wife is happy, and
    8g2qndqp8zmn.jpg

I am happy.

Anyone played through the story mode yet and can say how it compares to DOA5 in length?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Only 30 or so minutes in, but I am not a fan of this story mode.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    This is where I admit that despite having owned DOA5 since release of the original version in 2012, I have never played through the story mode... only a couple of stages, I think :lol:

I've played a few stages of this one so far, and although the layout is crazy confusing (each column is a character, each row a chapter, I worked that out!), it's generally amusing in a "holy shit" kind of way. It's like several notches on the B-movie scale further down than even the DOA movie, but there is at least some funny to be had... of course, when it tries to actually be dramatic it falls flat on its face.

I miss how story mode used to be done, honestly; just cutscenes in arcade mode, effectively. DOA4 was the high water mark for story mode, it was even almost coherent at times.

And you could unlock fucking costumes by playing it, what the fuck, DOA6.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I prefer the Netherealm style of doing story, but I'll admit Brad Wong getting so drunk he manages to stumble all the way through a high security research facility where he picks a fight with a glowing superninja is good times.

• Options

Same as 5LR, then.

31mixpcaugkb.jpg

To answer your next question, about $800. But it was spread over several years.

• Options

And this is why I held out against the DoA5 DLCs and only picked up the crossover packs that I actually really wanted (Samurai Warriors, Senran Kagura, Deception, and Falcom mashups...oh, and of course Mai)

• Options
    edited March 2019

Yeah. Everything is supposedly going on sale individually at some point (although I'll believe that when I see it for the Steam version, based on DOA5), so just hold out for that. The season pass is ridiculous. It's £73.99 over here on Steam and £59.99 (???) on Xbox. I paid £34.85 for the entire goddamn game itself (Xbox physical). It's nuts.

Also remember DOA5 ended up with well over a grand's worth of DLC, almost all of which was costumes.

Jazz on
  • Options

Yeah. Everything is supposedly going on sale individually at some point (although I'll believe that when I see it for the Steam version, based on DOA5), so just hold out for that. The season pass is ridiculous. It's £73.99 over here on Steam and £59.99 (???) on Xbox. I paid £34.85 for the entire goddamn game itself (Xbox physical). It's nuts.

Also remember DOA5 ended up with well over a grand's worth of DLC, almost all of which was costumes.

$1,289.79 if you pick up the "free" Core Fighter's edition and decide "Y'know what? I want the whole game."

And then you'll realize that that price is going to be actually low-balling it (and your collection will be incomplete) because Koei retired several packs over the years and they've been removed from the Steam store.

• Options
    edited March 2019

Same as 5LR, then.
    31mixpcaugkb.jpg
    To answer your next question, about $800. But it was spread over several years.

:eek:

And this is why I held out against the DoA5 DLCs and only picked up the crossover packs that I actually really wanted (Samurai Warriors, Senran Kagura, Deception, and Falcom mashups...oh, and of course Mai)

I have Mai on PC, and have yet to pick her up on Xbox. That's it (sorry Naotora, I'll get to you eventually). No extra costumes at all (although I have downloaded the catalogs). There's one or two I'm thinking about, but I doubt they'd total more than £10 even without a sale.

Jazz on
  • Options

I have Mai on PC, and have yet to pick her up on Xbox. That's it. No extra costumes at all (although I have downloaded the catalogs). There's one or two I'm thinking about, but I doubt they'd total more than £10 even without a sale.

I should clarify:

I only picked up all those packs on the PS4 version. On PC I only have the Samurai Warriors mashup.

• Options
    I prefer the Netherealm style of doing story, but I'll admit Brad Wong getting so drunk he manages to stumble all the way through a high security research facility where he picks a fight with a glowing superninja is good times.

I bought MKX when it was up for a ten spot a few months ago and just played through the story mode last month. That had some crazy production values.

• Options

I have Mai on PC, and have yet to pick her up on Xbox. That's it. No extra costumes at all (although I have downloaded the catalogs). There's one or two I'm thinking about, but I doubt they'd total more than £10 even without a sale.

I should clarify:

I only picked up all those packs on the PS4 version. On PC I only have the Samurai Warriors mashup.

I'm not judging :)

(I might be judging @baudattitude a little bit :lol: )

(Sorry baud :lol: )

• Options

I see you're a man of culture as well.

And Mirai Rose was awesome.

• Options
    I have Peach Beach Splash wishlisted, does that count? :lol:

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

It's a weird case. On GMG's website, they didn't mention it. On Steam's site, they actually didn't have a preorder page up (from my understanding)...but they did have the blurb:
    EARLY PURCHASE BONUS

Not mentioned (on the Steam page) is the Steam exclusivity of that bonus. According to Koei, the sent codes to GMG that were without the bonus content...but the codes are still Steam codes...and Steam has no option to buy non-bonus content DoA6 (the only current options are DoA6+Bonus or DoA6 Deluxe (shoot, there's not even an option to pick up a Deluxe Content upgrade if you have the standard version)).

Oh, and to rub salt in that irritation: you actually can't buy Nyotengu atm. On PC, the only DLC you can buy is the $92.99 Season 1 Pass.

This is relatively common. GMG’s official stance has always been “if we don’t advertise a preorder bonus on our page, ours do not come with it.” Each Steam key describes the package of content it includes, including preorder bundles and so forth. So a GMG Steam key isn’t necessarily the same as a Steam-purchased Steam key. It’s happened with a lot of games off GMG.

edit: I don’t disagree that they could all be less ambiguous about it, though. I only know this because I am obsessive enough to track down this kind of info.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Maybe it's because I only bought 3 or 4 complete costume "packs"--Ninja costumes, Halloween, King of Fighters, maybe one more?--or maybe it's because $3 for two costumes honestly doesn't seem that bad compared to....$3 for a lootbox to maybe get a costume or two (in other words, the Overwatch methods), but it's hard for me to get upset about it.

The fact that they did this last time probably matters too, hah!

So, I've sat down and played the game a little--I played one random "ranked" match (which I won and saved for posterity...to bad it was a boring stage against NiCO, who no one cares about, or I'd upload it), I've gone through the tutorial a bit, I cleared Ayane's training list (and was pleased to see that it did, in fact, unlock her announcer voice), and tried out the first three "DOA Quest" missions.

What immediately stands out: wow, that's a pretty game. I don't think we've ever really had a Dead or Alive game release this close to a SoulCalibur game, and inevitably those are going to be my points of comparison (though I think SCV did come out about half a year before the first release of DOA5....hmmmm) but...wow. This is a much prettier game so far. Both in terms of fighters but especially in terms of stages. That being said, there's some aggressive adaptive resolution going on, I'm pretty sure, so this is probably not a game you'd want to watch sitting close to your TV. So that's good. DOA Quests seem cute and not a bad way to learn the game besides training, and presumably unlocking things though I don't actually know how to unlock anything yet except for Encyclopedia entries. Really, I suppose the addition of these things, like the "unified" story mode, is simply bringing the franchise into the same place, content wise, as SC and Tekken have been earlier. Load times are actually pretty good (again, I have this installed to an external SSD)--though going to a load screen for a 4-second long tutorial lesson kind of sucks, but I'd be fine with the "normal" load times otherwise.

No Aerosmith! 0/10!

The roster is good enough, maybe even slightly above average, though I miss the absence of Leon and Rachel, at least characters seem to have a perfectly respectable costume wardrobe (take a fucking hint, SoulCalibur! Telling us to make our own costumes doesn't count!). Not to beleaguer the point, but I have to think...if Koei Tecmo had the stones (which they don't thankfully) to try costume lootboxes, I would've vomited with rage. But it remains to be seen what costumes they actually offer, just like the last time around (there are honestly quite a few costumes from DOA5 I'd like to reappear, but updating them into the new engine probably isn't worth it).

Online mode needs a party system/lobby. That's not a new development. The one match I did play was fine, even though I came embarrassingly close to losing after a 2-0 lead. :bigfrown: :biggrin: :bigfrown:

I'm going to try survival mode, which is a DOA mainstay of mine since the Dreamcast, where I can slowly raise my suffering through dozens of fights. I'm glad to see it's still there, there's really no reason for it to have been removed, but nowadays you can never been too certain.

They took the move names from the game! Why would you do that? They still exist! 0/10!

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »

EARLY PURCHASE BONUS

This is relatively common. GMG’s official stance has always been “if we don’t advertise a preorder bonus on our page, ours do not come with it.” Each Steam key describes the package of content it includes, including preorder bundles and so forth. So a GMG Steam key isn’t necessarily the same as a Steam-purchased Steam key. It’s happened with a lot of games off GMG.

edit: I don’t disagree that they could all be less ambiguous about it, though. I only know this because I am obsessive enough to track down this kind of info.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not as salty over it as some folks on the GMG message boards (oof...that review bombing that's happening over the prepurchase bonus and the pricing error when the game went live), it's just an irritation that the prepurchase bonus is a Steam-store exclusive (language used is that if you purchase the game before the 31st, you'll get the bonus) and that you can't (currently) pick up the character a la carte. I got a little accustomed to still receiving preorder bonuses even when their site doesn't explicitly list the preorder materials at the time of prepurchase.

• Options

I should clarify:

(I might be judging @baudattitude a little bit :lol: )

Oh, I have no shame* any more. Judge away.

It looks like the base game has a ton of outfits to unlock, and I bought the digital deluxe version so that's a bunch more. I can probably resist going deep into whaledom for a while.

* Actually I spent 20 bucks on Overwatch loot boxes during the Christmas event and I AM ashamed of that. So much crap for characters I don't play.

• Options

I should clarify:

(I might be judging baudattitude a little bit :lol: )

Oh, I have no shame* any more. Judge away.

It looks like the base game has a ton of outfits to unlock, and I bought the digital deluxe version so that's a bunch more. I can probably resist going deep into whaledom for a while.

* Actually I spent 20 bucks on Overwatch loot boxes during the Christmas event and I AM ashamed of that. So much crap for characters I don't play.

Likely juuuuuuust long enough for them to crank out their first non-Season Pass DLC pack.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Oh yeah, there's a bunch to unlock (especially for the ladies) and a lot are gorgeous. I just wish the unlock method in this wasn't so broken and awful. Like, that's a fundamentally easy thing to get right. It's not even like this appears to be set up for microtransaction hell. It's just crap.

It's giving me a bit of a downer feeling about the game, I must admit. Even pushing through DOA Quest, seemingly the only way to make any headway with it, I realised that you can't even go back and re-do stages to score more pattern parts. So once that mode is done, it's done, and you're reduced to grinding for like 1 to 4 parts per 8-fight arcade mode run, when each costume takes 200 to 1000 parts, and it's random which costume/character is applies to, and what the hell were they thinking with this...

Jazz on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    So this game is pretty sweet. I think it looks great. Load times are fine. And i played a few games online against different people and there was only a tiny spec of lag against one person. One dude just pummeled me 3-0, but i ended up figuring out some stuff and won the next 2 sets. That felt like a pretty big win considering i had almost no idea what i was doing. I didnt do any of the tutorials or anything. It also just felt way better to play than soul calibur 6.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The lack of tag team battles...ouch, that hurts. I guess there's the possibility of it as an addition down the line, but still, I really miss it.

For four player, I'll just need to go back to DOA5, or earlier, I guess. Hmmm.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    So I heard that in this one, you unlock pieces of costumes? Is that right?

Does that mean you can mix and match different parts when you get them?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I have no idea how to embed a tweet but maybe this will work?

Anyway it looks like the 10x early adopter bonus is coming to arcade and other non ranked modes.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Synthesis wrote: »
    The lack of tag team battles...ouch, that hurts. I guess there's the possibility of it as an addition down the line, but still, I really miss it.

For four player, I'll just need to go back to DOA5, or earlier, I guess. Hmmm.

No team battles either. :sad:

So I heard that in this one, you unlock pieces of costumes? Is that right?

Does that mean you can mix and match different parts when you get them?

No, sadly. It just means you need to unlock all the "pieces" for a costume to unlock that costume. And you get very few (outside of DOA Quest mode it's like 4 when a costume may need 1000), and to add insult to injury it's always for a random costume for a random character. It's an absolutely dreadful setup, I have no idea who thought it was a good idea.

I have no idea how to embed a tweet but maybe this will work?

Anyway it looks like the 10x early adopter bonus is coming to arcade and other non ranked modes.

That's something. It's starting to seem like a tacit acknowledgement that the game's system is bullshit. (Hopefully they're reading the replies on Twitter, people are angry but thankfully managing to retain some politeness.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Another recording of a fight. Helena vs Christie this time. I just kind of liked how this one played out, I didn't embarrass myself this time! Well, not as much as last time...

Warning: NSFW because of Christie's costume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhZxAwo8uD8

Also: JFC the Xbox DVR's compression artifacts are something else. That's not Youtube's fault, the original video looks like that too.

Jazz on