Options

[Dead or Alive 6 & X3] Stop sniggering at the back there

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    So I heard that in this one, you unlock pieces of costumes? Is that right?

Does that mean you can mix and match different parts when you get them?

No, sadly. It just means you need to unlock all the "pieces" for a costume to unlock that costume. And you get very few (outside of DOA Quest mode it's like 4 when a costume may need 1000), and to add insult to injury it's always for a random costume for a random character. It's an absolutely dreadful setup, I have no idea who thought it was a good idea.

Ick.

They should at least let you trade that stuff, then.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Well this was certainly unexpected...

Just got this in my email inbox:

i4tsv32kazoz.jpg

I was thinking us GMGers were going to be SOL until we could buy, a la carte, the prepurchase bonus items. Kinda wonder how that email chain between GMG and K/T went to get this kind of a resolution.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Signs that K/T are listening to the feedback they're getting is a good sign.

Everything wrong with the game is fixable on their end - if they want to do it. At least it's all (relatively) peripheral stuff, like missing modes and the costume unlocks; obviously (and thankfully) the actual core gameplay works and is good. We shall see, but for now, this is encouraging.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    This is my favorite fighting game franchise. I've had a great time playing this with my friends over the years. That being said, I don't think I've been really happy with a DOA release since DOA2U and DOA3. Both 4 and 5 felt weirdly lackluster after the great experience that was DOA2U.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

Everything wrong with the game is fixable on their end - if they want to do it. At least it's all (relatively) peripheral stuff, like missing modes and the costume unlocks; obviously (and thankfully) the actual core gameplay works and is good. We shall see, but for now, this is encouraging.

I hope you're right. If that's how DOA Quest works for unlocking--because the actual training mechanic part of it actually seems pretty good and smart--that really does suck, and I'm sad to hear it. But mostly I'm sad about the removal of tag team mode. I'm not regretting the purchase by any means, but I went back to DOA5LR just to see and realized just plain fun tag team mode as just by myself versus AI, much less four player. I didn't really care of the Soft Engine was more obviously dated.

DOA6's visuals are good--this is the engine from Dynasty Warriors 9 ironically enough--but that's never to displace an entire game mode. And I say this as someone who thought even DOA5LR lacked the high polish that DOA4 had as an early Xbox 360 title (even though it ultimately had more content).

It bums me out--I guess I was being too optimistic in my appraisal. For playing 1v1 it's a great experience (or it will be once you unlock something besides the kind of lame default costumes), but it's not going to replace DOA5LR the way DOA4 replaced DOA3 and DOA2U for me once it came out.

I definitely don't want to take away from anyone enjoying it, but yeah...I guess I better up for a DOA6 Ultimate at some point that bring back tag team. :sad:

EDIT: Unless I'm totally nuts, I'm pretty sure the Xbox One's own video capture tech is based in part on your current connection, because you can't force the consult to capture at the highest possibly bitrate and then deal with uploading later--this is true on PS4 too, and captured video on PS4 can also be compressed and artifacted to hell for better or worse. I'm dealing with a 100 mb/s, and capturing on 'high' on an Xbox One X, so my results are different...but they're still compressed.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Honestly, I respect that they seem to be taking the complaints seriously and are quickly trying to make it better.

I don’t think the way it worked at launch was meant to be anything malicious, it’s not like they were selling unlocks for real money or anything. They probably just wanted the players to have some sort of long term goal to keep them coming back but didn’t think it through properly.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Maybe enough people will complain about the the lack of tag team..oh, who am I kidding. You might as well complain about the game not have a character creation tool. :sad:

I played through the the first tier of the story mode (the Ninjas section)--it was entertaining enough, in a "This holds up well next to SC and Tekken and whatnot", but I didn't actually unlock...anything, except more tiers. I just assumed I needed to play more to get costumes that way.

It was probably the right action to take on their part.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

I hope you're right. If that's how DOA Quest works for unlocking--because the actual training mechanic part of it actually seems pretty good and smart--that really does suck, and I'm sad to hear it. But mostly I'm sad about the removal of tag team mode. I'm not regretting the purchase by any means, but I went back to DOA5LR just to see and realized just plain fun tag team mode as just by myself versus AI, much less four player. I didn't really care of the Soft Engine was more obviously dated.

DOA6's visuals are good--this is the engine from Dynasty Warriors 9 ironically enough--but that's never to displace an entire game mode. And I say this as someone who thought even DOA5LR lacked the high polish that DOA4 had as an early Xbox 360 title (even though it ultimately had more content).

It bums me out--I guess I was being too optimistic in my appraisal. For playing 1v1 it's a great experience (or it will be once you unlock something besides the kind of lame default costumes), but it's not going to replace DOA5LR the way DOA4 replaced DOA3 and DOA2U for me once it came out.

I definitely don't want to take away from anyone enjoying it, but yeah...I guess I better up for a DOA6 Ultimate at some point that bring back tag team. :sad:

Yeah. I'm still definitely enjoying DOA6, but I popped DOA5LR back in and it just seems to scratch a slightly different itch. DOA5LR certainly has more content, in terms of modes and characters; everything about that just feels right and it's still a joy to play. It looks visually dated in comparison, of course it does - it wasn't that much of a remastered upgrade from the 360/PS3 version to begin with - but I'll still keep playing it alongside DOA6. And I'm okay with that. But yeah, even if DOA5LR had the advantage of iterating and expanding on two previous editions of DOA5, is that really an excuse DOA6 can use for a relative paucity of content? I don't think it is. Especially when it appears so fixable within updates.

I hope it doesn't take a DOA6 Ultimate to sort everything out.
    EDIT: Unless I'm totally nuts, I'm pretty sure the Xbox One's own video capture tech is based in part on your current connection, because you can't force the consult to capture at the highest possibly bitrate and then deal with uploading later--this is true on PS4 too, and captured video on PS4 can also be compressed and artifacted to hell for better or worse. I'm dealing with a 100 mb/s, and capturing on 'high' on an Xbox One X, so my results are different...but they're still compressed.

I have no idea. Since I'm not uploading and capturing at the same time I wouldn't have thought that should be an issue. It's set to capture at 1080p, which is also what the video output is set to (even if many games don't actually achieve that). And while my 80/20 connection isn't top end, it's not exactly awful.

What I do know is that the one time I've taken a video from my PS4 (Pro but running at 1080p, and it was from Horizon Zero Dawn), it was absolutely crystal clear with no visible artifacting at all. And I would just like my Xbox to produce something similar. Oh well.

• Options
    Maybe enough people will complain about the the lack of tag team..oh, who am I kidding. You might as well complain about the game not have a character creation tool. :sad:

I played through the the first tier of the story mode (the Ninjas section)--it was entertaining enough, in a "This holds up well next to SC and Tekken and whatnot", but I didn't actually unlock...anything, except more tiers. I just assumed I needed to play more to get costumes that way.

God I wish DOA had character creation. I’ve wanted it for ages.

• Options
    Honestly, I respect that they seem to be taking the complaints seriously and are quickly trying to make it better.

I don’t think the way it worked at launch was meant to be anything malicious, it’s not like they were selling unlocks for real money or anything. They probably just wanted the players to have some sort of long term goal to keep them coming back but didn’t think it through properly.

Yeah, I agree. It didn't seem like it was set up for microtransactions so it was probably just ill-thought-out rather than malicious. And they're clearly responding to feedback, which is good.

If they leave the x100 multiplier in there and remove the RNG for which character it applies to, that might just be enough. That's enough to unlock many costumes outright on a blast through arcade mode, and the others would only need two runs through. It's not ideal but I'll take it.

Although now I'm forgetting how the earning of the gold currency works, since you need to still use that to buy costumes after unlocking them, but it's not scarce stuff...

• Options
    edited March 2019

Any complaints about tag battles and team battles being missing would have been drowned out, I think; once unlocks are sorted out and lobbies are in place, then it's probably a good time to start that campaigning up. It would be nice to have them back; they're great fun but also something DOA always just did so well.

Jazz on
  • Options

I think it's a fun novelty in SC (and really a major reason I bought SCVI, since the actual combat doesn't really bring people to my couch anymore), but honestly I'd want them to put limited resources to more pressing matters.

This is where I make a sad face about Tag Team mode, but aside from that, you should probably have a competent wardrobe editor first for existing characters. And with a few notable exceptions, the actual wardrobe items in SCVI look like crap next to the decent pre-made per-character costumes.

• Options
    I just want my OC titninjas okay

• Options

That's what Soucalibur is IV.

• Options

That's what Soucalibur is IV.

But I like how DOA looks and plays more

And I want my OC titninja to beat up Zack

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    The multiplier for costume parts is pretty solid. I played through the arcade mode once on Normal and got 301 points which unlocked a... well, a costume for Brad Wong. But it was only a single playthrough for one costume, so that's a good step.

Side note, anyone else having the issue where DoA forgets that you own any characters other than Kasumi and Hitomi and you need to reinstall them? Xbone version. Wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the "I must display a pop-up and play a sound before progressing to the next thing to install" thing.

baudattitude on
  • Options
    Not presently--though I am using the disc version, if that makes any difference.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is this the first DOA release without Itagaki at the helm?

He was the one responsible for the massive cheesecake and bounce physics, right?

Seeing this franchise always makes me long for a new Ninja Gaiden game (that doesn't suck). That first Ninja Gaiden, and it's Sigma and Black editions, is among my favorite games of that console generation. And Ninja Gaiden 2 was alright, though not nearly as good as 1. And 3 was just awful.

And anyway, I really wish I could play a new game with Ryu and Ayane.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »

He was the one responsible for the massive cheesecake and bounce physics, right?

Seeing this franchise always makes me long for a new Ninja Gaiden game (that doesn't suck). That first Ninja Gaiden, and it's Sigma and Black editions, is among my favorite games of that console generation. And Ninja Gaiden 2 was alright, though not nearly as good as 1. And 3 was just awful.

I think Itagaki has been gone since DoA4. I’m not good at following people in the industry though.

Outside of DoA, Ryu and Ayane are pretty much doomed to guest appearances in Musou at this point. :( I would like a proper new NG as well.

DoA6 has a pretty good approach to bounce. Default costumes without much bounce for those who would rather not see it, alternate costumes with all the bounce for people who prefer it. Also great big slabs of beefcake if your tastes go that way, I didn’t realize that Rig has an outfit that is basically a speedo until I got matched up against him in Arcade.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Itagaki was not involved in DOA5....which, to be totally honest, ended up filled with massive cheesecake and physics. Though it was less noticeable, because SoulCalibur V already jumped the shark with its Ivy advertising campaign six months earlier.

Ninja Gaiden 3 actually had more cheesecake and physics in spite of, or because of, his absence (see: Ayane). Same for 2 Sigma (which at least doesn't suck).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    ... Does Rig's skimpy outfit also have bounce?

• Options
    Don't be ridiculous.

Who do you think it is, Old Snake?

• Options

You know, I didn’t look. Still, I would assume that any guy deliberately getting into fights while basically naked is going to be wearing a cup. They’re mandatory in the UFC at least.

...and believe me, that was a google search i kinda feared the results of.

• Options

You know, I didn’t look. Still, I would assume that any guy deliberately getting into fights while basically naked is going to be wearing a cup. They’re mandatory in the UFC at least.

I imagine there's a similar thing about lady fighters wearing sports bras, but DOA still has ladies in bikinis and, uh, whatever it is that Christy is wearing.

• Options

I imagine there's a similar thing about lady fighters wearing sports bras, but DOA still has ladies in bikinis and, uh, whatever it is that Christy is wearing.

I was curious, so I looked into it. UFC fighters are required to wear "Chest protection", which wasn't particularly well-defined, and women are actually not allowed to wear groin protection. Wearing officially-branded Reebok merchandise IS clearly defined and there are all sorts of dire warnings should the fighters not be wearing the sponsor's outfit, so a sports bra IS mandated but only because that's what Reebok gives them. Basically it made me vaguely angry about where the league's priorities lie.

So take your pick of two justifications. Either Rig is wearing a cup, or it's a lot easier to confine a few ounces of flaccid cartilage with elastic than it is to do the same with breasts. Empirical studies would probably involve buying a speedo and doing jumping jacks in front of a full-length mirror and honestly that would be very difficult to explain to my wife if she caught me at it.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Played some ranked matches for about an hour tonight. Unlocked quite a few costumes. The boost to drops is pretty significant and you still get a bunch for a loss.

Also most of my losses were from getting wrecked by characters id never seen before.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Played some ranked matches for about an hour tonight. Unlocked quite a few costumes. The boost to drops is pretty significant and you still get a bunch for a loss.

Also most of my losses were from getting wrecked by characters id never seen before.

This inspired me to jump into ranked for about an hour myself, though a lot of that was spent waiting for matches and seeing matches declined. I work swing so I play super late at night and that’s probably the reason for the lack of opponents.

Getting absolutely bodied by - some people in here will read this and laugh - a Brad Wong player is made much less painful when you get nearly 300 costume parts for the defeat. I actually got considerably fewer parts for a 3-0 WIN.

If you can get matches then this feels 100% like the quickest way to unlock stuff, win or lose. (I haven’t really looked at DOA Quest tho)

• Options
    Brad Wong can be a tricksy bastard.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »

This inspired me to jump into ranked for about an hour myself, though a lot of that was spent waiting for matches and seeing matches declined. I work swing so I play super late at night and that’s probably the reason for the lack of opponents.

Getting absolutely bodied by - some people in here will read this and laugh - a Brad Wong player is made much less painful when you get nearly 300 costume parts for the defeat. I actually got considerably fewer parts for a 3-0 WIN.

If you can get matches then this feels 100% like the quickest way to unlock stuff, win or lose. (I haven’t really looked at DOA Quest tho)

Thats pretty much my thought. Even losing you get 100-300 pieces. I dont think i waited more than 20 seconds for a match on ps4. And the only time a person didnt rematch was when we didnt have a good connection, which only happened once. So if a game went to set 3 you probably got like 500-800 pieces even if it is across a few costumes.

• Options
    So, aside from ranked matches, what other game modes reward you with costume pieces?

Playing through part of the Story Mode didn't seem to do anything--is that a case of "all or nothing" completion? Nor anything from survival mode. I think arcade mode might've done something, though I just tried it once on normal all the way through.

• Options
    Arcade and (IIRC) Time Attack give you them as well. Survival mode doesn't, as I just found out, 39 wins later... :lol:

• Options
    Survival mode gives costume pieces but you need to finish the course. “Rookie” survival course has 10 fights and then you get 100 pieces, for example. I wasn’t able to actually finish the course on Normal difficulties so I don’t know how many fights total or how many costume pieces you get.

Arcade on Normal gave me 300ish pieces.

• Options

So I didn't know what you meant by "whatever it is that Christy is wearing" until I had a match against her in that outfit.

I must agree. That does not seem appropriate fighting wear.

• Options
    I was going to call it lingerie, but I'm not sure it's substantive enough.

It's like someone cobbled together an outfit out of black leather straps.

• Options
    She's cosplaying Voldo. Does it show that I've started playing SCVI again? Anyway...
    Arcade and (IIRC) Time Attack give you them as well. Survival mode doesn't, as I just found out, 39 wins later... :lol:
    Survival mode gives costume pieces but you need to finish the course. “Rookie” survival course has 10 fights and then you get 100 pieces, for example. I wasn’t able to actually finish the course on Normal difficulties so I don’t know how many fights total or how many costume pieces you get.

That's informative, thank you. I didn't complete survival mode the time I played it on normal, I only got to 29 wins I think.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    You guys are talking about Christie's costume like she hasn't been sporting that since DOA4. :lol:

That said, the red and white variants are new.

Jazz on
  • Options

My mistake! I had it on Hard (I think) so I may have only needed one more win... ouch :lol:

• Options
    You guys are talking about Christie's costume like she hasn't been sporting that since DOA4. :lol:

If you look closely, the pattern in DOA6 is actually different (namely, leather sections have been replaced with...wait for it...more mesh).

I'm not proud that I know that. I did know someone who cosplayed Christie in that outfit years back, paired with an absurd white fur coat. I think she might cosplay Ivy now.

On a less embarrassing note, I really, really like Christie's debut costume in DOA3. Frickin' James Bond third act villainess, yeah!

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

It's very difficult to accurately render the physics of a sentient pair of breasts that knows aikido.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai