Options

[Dead or Alive 6 & X3] Stop sniggering at the back there

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Maybe enough people will complain about the the lack of tag team..oh, who am I kidding. You might as well complain about the game not have a character creation tool. :sad:

I played through the the first tier of the story mode (the Ninjas section)--it was entertaining enough, in a "This holds up well next to SC and Tekken and whatnot", but I didn't actually unlock...anything, except more tiers. I just assumed I needed to play more to get costumes that way.

It was probably the right action to take on their part.

God I wish DOA had character creation. I’ve wanted it for ages.

It's very difficult to accurately render the physics of a sentient pair of breasts that knows aikido.

You know that hasn't stopped anyone else, right? :lol:

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Jazz wrote: »
    You guys are talking about Christie's costume like she hasn't been sporting that since DOA4. :lol:

If you look closely, the pattern in DOA6 is actually different (namely, leather sections have been replaced with...wait for it...more mesh).

I'm not proud that I know that. I did know someone who cosplayed Christie in that outfit years back, paired with an absurd white fur coat. I think she might cosplay Ivy now.

On a less embarrassing note, I really, really like Christie's debut costume in DOA3. Frickin' James Bond third act villainess, yeah!

Yeah, it has changed a bit. I did notice. :lol:

Respect to your cosplaying acquaintance. That must have been a hell of a thing to make, let alone wear. I think pairing it with that sort of coat was an inspired choice, I can just see it in my head. They'd definitely go well together.

And yes, I'm sad her old DOA3 default catsuit seems to have been mothballed. The newer variant is still very nice, but lacks that classic, elegant simplicity.

Jazz on
  • Options
    I mean, technically speaking in humble-nerd-brag, I know multiple Dead or Alive cosplayers. There was period, about ~2005 to about ~2011 where every single convention I went to (about 2, sometimes 3 a year) featured either a Kasumi or an Ayane cosplayer, or both.

They were not typically spectacular or anything, though some were actually quite excellent. The point was that it was popular enough to be a reliable occurrence. Since over a 2 or 3 day convention (I stopped staying at hotels for all local cons, and instead made the drive in and out of Atlanta), I would take ~300 photographs, I would easily have a dozen or more of Dead or Alive cosplayers alone. DOA cosplay easily reached a level of popularity at anime conventions that surpassed SoulCalibur and Tekken that seemed wholly disproportionate to the popularity of the games themselves, especially today. I sort of suspect that had to do with Tekken costumes being less impressive (there are only so many variations on "shirtless man with chest as wide as a small truck") and SoulCalibur being more genuinely impressive, but reliant on difficult-to-construct and maintain fake weaponry. DOA largely remained a hand-to-hand fighting game, with most of the characters wearing quasi-contemporary clothing and carrying minimal extra equipment.

I've easily seen more male character cosplayers from DOA (mostly Zack, Hayate, and Hayabusa) then I've seen male character cosplays from SoulCalibur, who barely exist.

Considering its massive popularity, they were not as outnumbered by Street Fighter cosplay as one would expect. DOA still has impressive, unexpected cache among female cosplayers relative to its decline in popuarity since it was the flagship 3D fighter on Xbox and Xbox 360 (then again, so do Terry Bogard and Mai Shiranui).

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    How do I unlock xtreme beach volleyball mode?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Survival mode gives costume pieces but you need to finish the course. “Rookie” survival course has 10 fights and then you get 100 pieces, for example. I wasn’t able to actually finish the course on Normal difficulties so I don’t know how many fights total or how many costume pieces you get.

Arcade on Normal gave me 300ish pieces.

Yeah, just did a quick run through Normal (like, maybe took 15 minutes) and got 314 pieces. So that breaks down to a costume unlock every 15/30/45/60 minutes (15m for the 100/200 costumes, 30m for 500, 45m for 700, and 60m for 1000).

Hopefully they decide to keep the 100x pieces multiplier. Would hate to increase those unlock times by 100x (hell, even dropping it down to 10x would be kinda painful). Just looking at the 100 piece costume, that would take 33 full Normal Arcade runs...so, 8 hours and 15 minutes. For a single 'entry' level priced costume unlock...and that's if RNG blesses you with the lowest priced costume. And you get your costume pieces applied to the same character and costume every time.

........So yeah. Hopefully they decide to keep this 100x costume piece bonus. Either that, or they completely revamp the costume unlocking process.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »

I have some bad news...

• Options

On the PS4, there's this, er, expansion disc thingy you can get...

• Options

I think there's also a semi-rare Sony hardware expansion peripheral for when you need to get your 'beach volleyball' on the go.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Erlkönig wrote: »

I think there's also a semi-rare Sony hardware expansion peripheral for when you need to get your 'beach volleyball' on the go.

I can't recommend it enough. You might think Sony took some notes from Koei Tecmo when they were advertising it.

...or maybe not. :wink:

Synthesis on
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I had my first rage quitter! I feel like I have reached an important goal.

Also had a 0-3 loss, took the rematch, and managed a 2-3 loss on the next round, after which they declined the rematch. I am still the button mashiest of the button mashing scrubs but I don’t feel as rock bottom as playing online in 5LR made me feel.

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

The one that came with Rez?

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Sometimes this game seems to forget that it's been tweaked:

7tohhpjhrdk0.jpg

Also, please note the typo. Jumps out at me every time.

Jazz on
  • Options
    That screenshot really just drives home how poorly the costume unlock system was designed. How did it ever go live in that state?

It also asks you if you want to "by" titles, and I've seen a bunch of other little typos here and there.

• Options
    I knew I shouldn't have jumped back into Ranked after earlier on. Goodbye, 8-win streak, I hardly knew ye *sniff*

• Options

7tohhpjhrdk0.jpg

Eventually you get enough of those part, and you get one of these.

nzsndao20ber.jpg

Yes, I know it's spelled 'Patton'. The point is I'm trying.

• Options

7tohhpjhrdk0.jpg

nzsndao20ber.jpg

I've hit enough AI opponents (usually Bayman, it seems) with something similar in the Hot Zone area of the DOA Museum. :lol:

Incidentally, the Museum stage is a brilliant idea.

• Options

7tohhpjhrdk0.jpg

nzsndao20ber.jpg

That joke kinda tanked.

• Options

7tohhpjhrdk0.jpg

nzsndao20ber.jpg

I've hit enough AI opponents (usually Bayman, it seems) with something similar in the Hot Zone area of the DOA Museum. :lol:

Incidentally, the Museum stage is a brilliant idea.

So, I could've sworn I was going to get a KO on my Break Combo in one of my Normal Arcade battles...but Hitomi made it out with just a shred of her health bar intact. Then that tank came rolling in because I'd knocked her into that HZ. It was the slowest KO hit I've ever done (or even seen).

• Options
    Took a break from online and went through the Story mode tonight. It was a lot easier than the story mode of DoA5 and also quite a bit shorter. Some great little character interactions, though, so that makes up for it. At some point Ayane and Kasumi are just going to need to hug and make up.

There were a couple of cliffhangers that probably won't be resolved for another six or seven years until we get another DoA. So it goes. Maybe they'll add little story chapters as they introduce new fighters?

Annoyingly, there are no achievements, no experience gains, and no fight money gains or costume pieces from going through the story.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Took a break from online and went through the Story mode tonight. It was a lot easier than the story mode of DoA5 and also quite a bit shorter. Some great little character interactions, though, so that makes up for it. At some point Ayane and Kasumi are just going to need to hug and make up.

There were a couple of cliffhangers that probably won't be resolved for another six or seven years until we get another DoA. So it goes. Maybe they'll add little story chapters as they introduce new fighters?

Annoyingly, there are no achievements, no experience gains, and no fight money gains or costume pieces from going through the story.

But it does offer a scintillating narrative experience.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options

But it does offer a scintillating narrative experience.

I am deeply invested in the DoA storyline and would support the existence of a sitcom spin-off entitled "Everybody Loves Hayate"

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    For me, it's always been about Helena. Course, that may just be a subconscious desire to have my ass kicked while being verbally dressed down in French.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    For me, it's always been about Helena. Course, that may just be a subconscious desire to have my ass kicked while being verbally dressed down in French.

"I don't have time to play games with you."

*kicks your ass*

"Oh dear, what happened to all that spirit you had a moment ago?"

She's just <3

• Options
    Plus, she has no sense of the passage of time, and that's super hot.
    I'm joking. I used to hate Helena for her dumb "Aerith Gainsborough" hair but since DOA3 it's been modeled progressively less offensively. Plus her default outfit blue-black outfit, like Christie's, is kickass looking, and I'm glad it made it into DOA6.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Im so bad as everyone except ayane. But i still do weird things all the time because of the stance changes. That must be why though. If i dont know how im attacking, theres no way they can know how to defend.

• Options

DOA6: Core Fighters is now available. Similarly to DOA5: Core Fighters, it is a free-to-play edition of the game with four playable characters and no story mode; story mode and other characters can be added a la carte as DLC if you don't want to purchase the full game, but both versions are entirely compatible with each other.

Also:

• Options
    Also this update seems to have created some framerate issues - it's visibly stuttering on my Xbox One X with the graphics setting on "prioritize action", where it certainly didn't before - and it's also crashed on me. (I haven't tried it since the update on my base Xbox One.)

So perhaps not to be filed under "best update ever".

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Diego looks cool. Is his fighting style some sort of Brazilian jiu jitsu?

I might download the Core Fighters pack this weekend and take it for a whirl.

• Options
    Diego's style is just listed as "street style" in the game, so honestly I wouldn't know. He hits like a sledgehammer, though, he's pretty fun.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Also, weirdly, after firing up the game again, the framerate is back to being buttery smooth. Huh, I wonder what that was all about.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Also, weirdly, after firing up the game again, the framerate is back to being buttery smooth. Huh, I wonder what that was all about.

Do you mean from suspension? Quite a few games don't handle suspend mode well (I ironically have very little experience with this because of my compulsive need to use the menu button to close out a game after returning to the home screen).

• Options

Do you mean from suspension? Quite a few games don't handle suspend mode well (I ironically have very little experience with this because of my compulsive need to use the menu button to close out a game after returning to the home screen).

Nah, from starting it up the first time after the update. I tend to do the same thing and actually close a game; it's only if I need to drop what I'm doing and can't save at that point that I tend to use suspend.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Hm, $20 bucks for story mode...

Already downloading the core pack, and I'll probably get some characters in due time, but is the story mode worth it? I seem to recall not doing well against the final bosses, though that was generations ago.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Hm, $20 bucks for story mode...

Already downloading the core pack, and I'll probably get some characters in due time, but is the story mode worth it? I seem to recall not doing well against the final bosses, though that was generations ago.

The story mode is short and disjointed, and extremely easy. I wouldn't pay more than $5 for it.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    How is Bass in any way a "core" fighter?

• Options

He's by no means one of my favourites, but at least this time around the four freebies are actually a good spread of different fighting styles and character attributes, not just the four lead ninjas.

I mean, obviously I'd rather choose Tina to represent wrestling, but more so than her Bass also demonstrates slower, heavier big hitters as well, and he's a dude so it's two dudes, two ladies.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

He's by no means one of my favourites, but at least this time around the four freebies are actually a good spread of different fighting styles and character attributes, not just the four lead ninjas.

I mean, obviously I'd rather choose Tina to represent wrestling, but more so than her Bass also demonstrates slower, heavier big hitters as well, and he's a dude so it's two dudes, two ladies.

I would think Zack or Jann Lee over Bass anyday though. Or Brad Wong.

• Options

I would have maybe picked Bayman.

• Options
    edited March 2019

Brad Wong I doubt because he's not an "OG" character--not that he isn't great, but he only came about in DOA3--whereas Zack, Jan Lee, Bayman and Bass have all been in the franchise since the beginning.

Bass is a core fighter even if you don't like him. He's probably just the least popular one.

That, or they really want to show off how much less round and much more thinner he is in this incarnation.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Mind you, Hitomi isn't an OG either, she was a DOA3 addition.