As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

THQNordic - An Object Example In How Not To Do PR

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I mean, their first post about this on Twitter was basically

"Hey, isn't it crazy that we're about to go on a Nazi website to answer some questions? Haha awesome"

So when they say they didn't research the site and didn't know what they were getting into....

Ummm

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    One of their board of directors saw an image of a knight with a homophobic slur superimposed on top of it and responded to it with "That could be from one of our games!"

You don't do that if you aren't already okay with that kind of trash. Especially when you're representing a company.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I'm just going to say this - after what happened in New Zealand, we have to take a greater stand on what THQNordic did. At this point, the only acceptable response is for the company to remove all individuals involved in the matter.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    What happened in New Zealand?

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    More specifically the murderer posted his manifesto to 8chan. Who supposedly cheered him on (the post has as far as I'm aware been removed).

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    What happened in New Zealand?

Anti-muslim mass shooting perpetrated by another white supremacist, who posted his manifesto on 8chan and livestreamed it on Facebook

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    He also said "subscribe to PewDiePie" during his livestream of the entire thing.

Fucking hell.

• Options
    He also said "subscribe to PewDiePie" during his livestream of the entire thing.

Fucking hell.

"Subscribe to PewDiePie" has become a Schrodinger's Douchebag dogwhistle for the alt-right:

8ltcGqT_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Fucking hell.

"Subscribe to PewDiePie" has become a Schrodinger's Douchebag dogwhistle for the alt-right:

So we've moved on from "n-word n-word n-word" to "subscribe to PewDiePie"

Truly remarkable progress

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I honestly expect THQ Nordic to stay silent on this one. Because, let's face it, silence has been their playbook so far.

I suppose I can hope that this terrorist attack has spurred some introspection among THQ Nordic and opened their eyes to the fact that being pals with Nazis is an even worse idea than they hopefully already thought it was.

• Options
    I honestly expect THQ Nordic to stay silent on this one. Because, let's face it, silence has been their playbook so far.

I suppose I can hope that this terrorist attack has spurred some introspection among THQ Nordic and opened their eyes to the fact that being pals with Nazis is an even worse idea than they hopefully already thought it was.

Which is why we need to make it so that silence isn't an option.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Fucking hell.

I remember the "okay" symbol's meaning changing to "white power". Is that still a thing?

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    is it really Schrodinger if we already know that the cat is paying poor people to hold anti semitic signs on the street?

FANTOMAS on
    Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Fucking hell.

Remember when PewDiePie had that 'heated gaming moment'? It's not really all that much progress.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I wouldn't expect anything out of THQ Nordic about this. It'd be a different story if the shooting happened, THEN they did the AMA. But from a PR standpoint they've addressed the site in question. Poorly, but it's done.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    It'd be great if this ruins PewDiePie's career. I'm sure he's been step #1 in many a young boy's path to the alt-right.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect anything out of THQ Nordic about this. It'd be a different story if the shooting happened, THEN they did the AMA. But from a PR standpoint they've addressed the site in question. Poorly, but it's done.

Yeah at this point saying anything just dredges up something they'd much rather sweep under the rug.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    From my (admittedly brief) look into Pewdiepie it looks to me that he has said some dumb shit and posted some dumb shit. I'm not a fan because he's clearly a meme-spewing cancer upon the Youtube. Can someone either give me a brief rundown of why I should dislike him even more or point me towards an info source?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    It'd be great if this ruins PewDiePie's career. I'm sure he's been step #1 in many a young boy's path to the alt-right.

It won't. Literally my friends' responses has been that image posted plus attacking news outlets for reporting on him for clicks.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Pewdiepie frequently jokes with or otherwise signal boosts white supremecy a lot. He also falls back to "It's just a joke, jeeze" when he gets called out on it, so he's essentially became a major figure in a lot of young alt-right circles because he's a very public figure who "gets it."

Here's some stuff he's done.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/pewdiepie-attempts-to-distance-himself-from-christchurch-mosque-shooter-who-pledged-support-read-threadmarks.105466/page-17#post-18869720

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    From my (admittedly brief) look into Pewdiepie it looks to me that he has said some dumb shit and posted some dumb shit. I'm not a fan because he's clearly a meme-spewing cancer upon the Youtube. Can someone either give me a brief rundown of why I should dislike him even more or point me towards an info source?

https://www.vox.com/2018/12/13/18136253/pewdiepie-vs-tseries-links-to-white-supremacist-alt-right-redpill

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

First off, he hasn't said/posted "dumb shit". What he has done is had a continued pattern of bigoted behavior, including using slurs while livestreaming and having an individual from non-English speaking nation who was doing odd tasks on Fiver put up a video using slurs unaware, which harmed that individual's ability to earn.

Second, "subscribe to PewDiePie" was popularized during a campaign to push his subscription numbers over an Indian music video channel, which is why the bigots seized on it.

Finally, "subscribe to PewDiePie" has mutated into an alt-right dogwhistle used to signal to others. He has never denounced this publicly.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

https://www.vox.com/2018/12/13/18136253/pewdiepie-vs-tseries-links-to-white-supremacist-alt-right-redpill

@Frankiedarling this would be a far more appropriate thread to talk about pewdiepie in and there's a handy list in the above quote of his racism and sexism you're intent on defending.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular

First off, he hasn't said/posted "dumb shit". What he has done is had a continued pattern of bigoted behavior, including using slurs while livestreaming and having an individual from non-English speaking nation who was doing odd tasks on Fiver put up a video using slurs unaware, which harmed that individual's ability to earn.

I knew about him using the n-word in a livestream, but I wasn't aware that the Death to All Jews was a stunt that he paid someone for. I was under the impression that he had found that image somewhere online and posted it to laugh about it or something. That's fucking malevolent.

Thanks for the links, everyone.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options

I knew about him using the n-word in a livestream, but I wasn't aware that the Death to All Jews was a stunt that he paid someone for. I was under the impression that he had found that image somewhere online and posted it to laugh about it or something. That's fucking malevolent.

Nope, he is directly responsible for spreading the hatred, anti-semitism, and alt-right propaganda, no matter what some people would have you believe.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

@Frankiedarling this would be a far more appropriate thread to talk about pewdiepie in and there's a handy list in the above quote of his racism and sexism you're intent on defending.

I'm not defending him at all. I'm saying that the link between a wacko shouting "sub to pewdiepie" (an annoyingly ubiquitous meme) and said wacko shooting 50 people is pretty damn thin, and jumping on that particular hysteria train is not something I'd recommend.

That doesn't preclude you hating on him though. It would fit right in with our retro "8-chan is a thing OMG" thread, because apparently we all just got on the internet yesterday for the first time.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

I'm not defending him at all. I'm saying that the link between a wacko shouting "sub to pewdiepie" (an annoyingly ubiquitous meme) and said wacko shooting 50 people is pretty damn thin, and jumping on that particular hysteria train is not something I'd recommend.

That doesn't preclude you hating on him though. It would fit right in with our retro "8-chan is a thing OMG" thread, because apparently we all just got on the internet yesterday for the first time.

...you do get that one of the major things the alt right does is recruitment via "edgy memes" I hope?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Frankiedarling this would be a far more appropriate thread to talk about pewdiepie in and there's a handy list in the above quote of his racism and sexism you're intent on defending.

You don't believe that people advocating other people subscribe to a know sexist, racist youtuber who introduces people to even more sexism and racism of the far right, which encourages violent sexism and racism, contributes in any way to violence related to sexism and racism?

Well okay then.

• Options

No, you're literally defending. That's literally what you're doing. Excusing his bullshit and calling it hysteria is fucking defending him. Hate doesn't exist in a vacuum. It comes from somewhere, whether it be your parents, or your favorite Youtube personality paying someone to hold up signs that say "Kill All Jews" and then laughing about it: It fucking comes from somewhere.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    He perpetuates, spreads, and inducts people into a culture of racism and white supremacy.

He is the guy handing out flyers for the KKK, acting shocked when the KKK lynches someone.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

...you do get that one of the major things the alt right does is recruitment via "edgy memes" I hope?

Are you implying all edgy memes are an alt right recruiting tool?

That goes hand in hand with the increasingly minimal requirements for naming someone alt-right. At this point that terms seems to get slapped on folks with the slightest provocation.

• Options

First off, the shooter is not a "wacko", and this is part of your continuing trend to use euphemistic language to avoid discussing uncomfortable elements. The shooter clearly planned the attack and was planning on doing additional damage with explosives, and had created a social media profile clearly designed as a tool for recruitment. It was the work of calculated hatred.

Second, "subscribe to PewDiePie" is not "an annoyingly ubiquitous meme". It was born out of a campaign to push his subscription numbers up as he was on the verge of being overtaken by a channel that pushed Indian music videos. It's not exactly surprising why bigots would seize on such a campaign, even without looking at his own history of bigotry. It has since mutated into an alt-right dogwhistle used to indicate that a poster is one of them.

• Options
    edited March 2019

Nope, he is directly responsible for spreading the hatred, anti-semitism, and alt-right propaganda, no matter what some people would have you believe.

I'm reading that Vox article right now. I really shouldn't be shocked by this, and yet I am.

Edit: Ah, so that's what "red-pilled" means. I'm getting too old for the internet, clearly.

Descendant X on
  • Options

That goes hand in hand with the increasingly minimal requirements for naming someone alt-right. At this point that terms seems to get slapped on folks with the slightest provocation.

Not all, but YES. Look up Pepe the Frog.

I find it hard to believe that someone could be this accidentally obtuse, so I must only surmise that you are knowingly and willfully obtuse and are purposely helping to perpetuate this bullshit that hate exists in a vacuum.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    I like how paying someone to hold up a "Death to Jews" sign with ZERO remorse qualifies as "the slightest provacation."

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

They aren't all an alt-right recruiting tool, but enough of them are that it's worth looking very carefully at anybody who defends shitty behavior with "I'm just trying to be edgy", especially when the nature of that edginess falls on the racist/sexist/whatever portion of the spectrum.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

I'm reading that Vox article right now. I really shouldn't be shocked by this, and yet I am.

A lot of people have been actively downplaying his behavior for some time, for a number of reasons. Hopefully, this ends now.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    so weird that Frankie is carrying water for the alt-right in this thread. That basically never happens. So weird.

geth, kick @Frankiedarling from the thread

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Tube. @Frankiedarling banned from this thread.