I'll try to keep the backstory down, but my partner and I have been considering another car for like 2 years. When I first proposed we needed car #2, I was planning to find the cheapest beater I could. The plan was that I could just use a hunk of junk to get around the neighborhood, while our (knock on wood) relatively reliable 2012 Nissan versa would stand as the main car.
At some point, the idea of the beater turned into my partner wanting a pickup truck, the versa has no fold down seats which has bitten us in the ass, and we could have a less fuel efficient car for and use the versa for longer drives. The problem we are finding is:
- He wants a v6 in a used truck and they dont seem to pop up used
- They cost a lot. Even used 20-25k is seemingly where it starts
The cost put the breaks on the entire process, and I'm back to being frustrated and stuck at home too much. I'd like to meet half way and see if I can find a hatchback. We bought the Nissan under duress when my beautiful lancer was rear ended, and just went to car max and got what we could afford. We have much more time to shop around now, but I think if I gather some options myself I can speed this choice up. Problem is, I dont pay attention to cars at all, and I dont know what reviews to trust.
So what I'm looking for
- Budget is 12-15K (2-3 as a down payment)
- Something easy to repair and reliable is generally my highest concern
- Some sort of compromise on the truck, maybe a small SUV that sits higher on the road than the versa, or a hatchback?
- A rear view camera if its an suv
My actual questions:
- Carmax is easy, but we have options now, should I fuck with local dealers considering I get exhausted with haggling (were in austin TX)
- Has anyone looked at Carvana and actually bought something off of it
- Do any of you own a car that has served you well and fits the criteria?
I'd like to keep payments down to $200 or so and we both have good-ish credit.