Options

The Happy Puppy [chat] Thread

• Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ah to be young again.

Meiz on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If anyone's in the mood for some more academic angst: I feel like deep down I would be happiest as a writer or philosopher. I'm also good at both, but I don't know if I'm good enough, and I have the sinking suspicion the answer is no.

MrMister on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    *commiserates*

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    ...okay, so not even joking here, but I'm thinking of ditching honours. Its not where I want to be, I don't want to be a researcher, my topic is ill-defined and uninteresting, and my supervisor is AWOL most of the time. I'm sick of studying and forever putting off a bunch of other life-stuff that I want to do. Things holding me back: Its halfway through the year already, I've spent a semesters' worth of HECS allowance that I'll eventually have to pay back ($3000 or so) and I don't know what it'll do to my GPA if I bail. Also, I have this feeling that developing a habit of giving up on things simply because they aren't easy or fun is a bad idea. Lastly, It'll improve my job prospects, apparently.

Anyone been there before?
    This is a scary thing to read when you're doing honors yourself. But, you're in one of those degrees where you actually got the degree then an opportunity to do honors right? (as opposed to mine where honors is part of the course and you get a comedy science degree if you don't do it).

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    *commiserates*

And we would all go down together,
    We said we'd all go down together,
    Yes we would all go down together.

MrMister on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    MrMister wrote: »
    If anyone's in the mood for some more academic angst: I feel like deep down I would be happiest as a writer or philosopher. I'm also good at both, but I don't know if I'm good enough, and I have the sinking suspicion the answer is no.

You could write philosophical thrillers.

James on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    This is a scary thing to read when you're doing honors yourself. But, you're in one of those degrees where you actually got the degree then an opportunity to do honors right? (as opposed to mine where honors is part of the course and you get a comedy science degree if you don't do it).

Heh, comedy science.

I'm doing honors too! But I'm early enough in the process that I'm just a little nervous and sick to my stomach. I can't actually forecast the specifics of my failure yet.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    James wrote: »

You could write philosophical thrillers.

Lewis Carol fancied himself a philosopher. Tweedledee and Tweedledum are basically talking points in philosophy of language, as I recall.

MrMister on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ...okay, so not even joking here, but I'm thinking of ditching honours. Its not where I want to be, I don't want to be a researcher, my topic is ill-defined and uninteresting, and my supervisor is AWOL most of the time. I'm sick of studying and forever putting off a bunch of other life-stuff that I want to do. Things holding me back: Its halfway through the year already, I've spent a semesters' worth of HECS allowance that I'll eventually have to pay back ($3000 or so) and I don't know what it'll do to my GPA if I bail. Also, I have this feeling that developing a habit of giving up on things simply because they aren't easy or fun is a bad idea. Lastly, It'll improve my job prospects, apparently.

As someone who has NEVER finished something he has started, finish the damn year or you'll end up like me, unemployed and restarting uni at 25 because he has no other way of getting a steady income.

I like this threat, it has the weight of horrified authority behind it, even if not totally logical, because you've already finished the undergrad at least.

But fuck it, finish honors or you end up like me, I'm sticking with that.

Bed time, night chat.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited May 2007

yeah, I've got the science degree as a standalone, plus an arts degree. Thing is, most other unis have the inclusive-honours thing (O/S too), so it probably doesn't look that great by itself. I'm telling myself 'its only 6 more months', but man...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well you see I have this literature review I'm kind of happy with. But on the downside, just as I've realized how much I desperately need STMs and AFMs to make this project work, all of the ones that are easy and free to use have broken down.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Heh, comedy science.

I'm doing honors too! But I'm early enough in the process that I'm just a little nervous and sick to my stomach. I can't actually forecast the specifics of my failure yet.

Make sure you've got scheduled time with your supervisor every week! Mine is constantly out of town or in meetings, and its a total pain in the ass. He hasn't even showed up to the sessions where I have to talk about what I'm doing to the other academics, and they're the ones marking my work. I'm pretty sure that as a result they think I'm functionally retarded, because I'm crap at explaining what I'm doing and they have zero background in it >.<

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Well you see I have this literature review I'm kind of happy with. But on the downside, just as I've realized how much I desperately need STMs and AFMs to make this project work, all of the ones that are easy and free to use have broken down.

Kick up a stink until they fix them or buy new ones. You're paying to be there!

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

Heh, comedy science.

Man..I can't wait until I go back to college. Since I am already established in a career path, all the classes I will take will be things to expand on my hobbies. Photography, History, Lit, and various other courses I only had to briefly glance over during my first foray into college life.

The idea that my courseload will have a tremendous effect on how I will provide for myself for the next n ammount of years is rather unappealing. I don't envy you guys at all.

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Cat, it will suck but take it from someone who hasn't completed any sort of post secondary education, you're better off sticking with it and getting a kick ass career.

I was in school when my dad passed away, not even a year after my mother. I ended up quiting school because I was, well, pretty messed up. I got preoccupied with dead-end relationships, travel and work. Looking back I know I needed the time to get my head straight but I regret not finishing and being in the same position most of my friends are in now.

Only 7 years later am I in a job that's stable.

Edit: Considering you have 2 degrees, that's already more then a lot of people. Still, if you can muster anything that will improve your chances in the job market, I say stick with it.

Meiz on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't know how it is in the English speaking world, but around here it's pretty difficult to find a job in the field you studied for, when you don't get your honours degree.

There might be some exceptions, but not many.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Make sure you've got scheduled time with your supervisor every week! Mine is constantly out of town or in meetings, and its a total pain in the ass. He hasn't even showed up to the sessions where I have to talk about what I'm doing to the other academics, and they're the ones marking my work. I'm pretty sure that as a result they think I'm functionally retarded, because I'm crap at explaining what I'm doing and they have zero background in it >.<

If it's any consolation, last friday one of the kids in my thesis seminar got up to present his preliminary sketch of the problem he wanted to address, and it was terrible. The whole group was somewhat shocked: a couple people tried the whole "I'm sorry--I feel like I'm confused... what exactly do you mean like that?" as if it were their fault that he was retarded, and a few more declined to comment almost entirely.

Then afterwards we got coffee and were mean about it.

So, the moral of the story is that you're better than this guy, hands down.

MrMister on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm kind of opposite - I'm doing my MA at the moment and I don't want it to end. I start on my major project / thesis next semester and I'm confident at the moment that my material's going to be strong enough to get published. It's all going quickly and it's a blast - I'm really happy I found out about this course and applied for it while I had the chance.

Uni's tops.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Haphazard wrote: »
    I don't know how it is in the English speaking world, but around here it's pretty difficult to find a job in the field you studied for, when you don't get your honours degree.

My honors thesis is exclusively for the purposes of looking good to graduate and law schools.

For most fields honors isn't required at all.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    bsjezz wrote: »
    I'm so cool, huh guys?

:x

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm so cool, huh guys?

:x

It's okay, I'm not doing anything real.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Man, creative writing is the shit.

I'm probably going to be too much of a pussy to pursue it, though.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm kind of opposite - I'm doing my MA at the moment and I don't want it to end. I start on my major project / thesis next semester and I'm confident at the moment that my material's going to be strong enough to get published. It's all going quickly and it's a blast - I'm really happy I found out about this course and applied for it while I had the chance.

Uni's tops.

see, there's a GIS masters over at UQ that I'm kicking myself for not going for. I honestly don't know why I didn't entertain it as a serious possibility. I doubt I'd do it for quite a few years now, though. You're lucky. I hate you :P

t meiz: thanks, you're right about sticking to it. And sorry for your loss :(

I think I just need to light a fire under my supervisor and get an actual plan sorted. Oh, and light a fire under myself, since I have a large lit. review to do >.>

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Google Image Search masters? I wish I could go to Queensland.

James on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    haha. geographic information systems. nerdy map stuff, its keen.

...I know why I didn't do it. Twice as long as honours. couldn't take the thought of another 2 years of school :P

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Man, creative writing is the shit.

I'm probably going to be too much of a pussy to pursue it, though.

You should. The more good literature out there, the better - even within my postgrad level course the good stuff is slim pickings.

cat: I never even really considered honours - it wasn't presented an option for me. I left uni after my BA, travelled a bit, and the MA was pretty much waiting for me when I got back. I was ready for it. Perfect timing, really.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow, and I thought college was actually supposed to be fun.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow, and I thought college was actually supposed to be fun.
    Ohoho! The folly of youth!

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    College is fun like the weekend is fun, and senior year is like sunday.

MrMister on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    College is fun like the weekend is fun, and senior year is like sunday.

So true. So true.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Macs are the fucking devil.

Play DivX, damnit.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Play DivX, damnit.
    Have you tried installing the DivX client?

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    stilist wrote: »

Play DivX, damnit.

Yes.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    THE LONG NIGHT ENDS

I only woke up once after now last night, which is pretty good. It was three times yesterday, so I'm feeling a bit more well-rested haha. I'm just glad that the people in the room next to mine leave at 4:30AM, so that they can't catch me being silly. :P

It's a beautiful bright sunshiny day!, but I think I used up too much positive energy yesterday. Maybe I'll just crash on my futon for now.

Anyway, morning [chat].

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So quiet! It's okay. I can wait. I know someone will wander in unwittingly into my clutches. :evil:

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You mean Night, don't you Obo?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Play DivX, damnit.

Yes.

Use VLC.

Also: Hi, guys.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Hi Hap, and also Bizarro Zen. Come back to someplace sane and appropriate and you will receive likewise greetings, Zen. ;P

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Haphazard wrote: »

Play DivX, damnit.

Yes.

Use VLC.

Also: Hi, guys.

Durr streaming videos.

Although, I realized that safari can suck my nuts and that Firefox + Mac = Love.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mornings are terrible.

Weather's nice though. I think it'll warm up like a bitch in a few hours, unfortunately.

Elendil on
This discussion has been closed.