As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New [Fashion] thread. Quite stylish.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I can't wear blazers, but I want that blazer.

Still on the run from Saville Row, huh?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    They spot me the minute I don anything with a collar.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That blazer would look fantastic on you though!

• Options
    Well it ain't MY pet, so it goes here instead of the snugglehug thread:

https://i.imgur.com/8IUywpI.mp4

• Options
    I bought a merino running hoodie for no good reason except the weather is annoyingly in-between right now and quarantine is getting to me
    Will this be the retail therapy purchase that makes the remaining period of lockdown bearable? I assume so!

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    these shoes

95Kbz85.jpg?11VjFCa0.jpg?1

I want these shoes

from the official website they cost 225 USD incl. shipping

from amazon they cost 125 USD incl. shipping; they just won't ship them here

WHY MUST YOU TORMENT ME SO, BEZOS

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    these shoes

95Kbz85.jpg?11VjFCa0.jpg?1

I want these shoes

from the official website they cost 225 USD incl. shipping

from amazon they cost 125 USD incl. shipping; they just won't ship them here

WHY MUST YOU TORMENT ME SO, BEZOS

Can you use a re-shipping service and still save cash?

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    So I ordered my beard oil same as always, but they threw in a thing of beard balm for free

I’ve never used balm, is it for something different? Is it used instead of oil or in addition to?

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    So I ordered my beard oil same as always, but they threw in a thing of beard balm for free

I’ve never used balm, is it for something different? Is it used instead of oil or in addition to?

In addition to. The way I’ve gotten it explained oil is mainly for moisturizing the skin beneath the beard but also the beard itself.
    Balm is to moisturize and also help shape the beard.

• Options
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I thought that one kid was wearing diapers for a second there.

• Options
    Ye gods, imagine how much money Apple could make off a clothing line these days...

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    $6000 turtlenecks all the way down

Plain trousers for $2500, but you can add (brand new Apple Original Idea!) pockets for another $800

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Makes sense. They started off making raincoats before they got into computers, right?

t7cuh0d913ea.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I haven't worn a watch in probably 10+ years, but this one was on sale a while back and for whatever reason I instantly fell in love with the face/band color combo. It just got here today, and man this thing is sweeeet. I'll probably be wearing suits more for work once quarantine is over and I think it's gonna make for a very spiffy accessory.

I'm also wearing it now to get used to the feel, and I feel off-balance now haha

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Get ready to just have you're wrist to feel weird with or without. It will pass.

I'm now in the phase where I feel like I need infinite watches.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Hello belts thread (the one that isn't the JRPG thread) - I broke a belt and need to order some replacements. The last few I have owned have been uh, bad and not had a long life, I would love some recommendations of brands to check out for leather belts!

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Hello belts thread (the one that isn't the JRPG thread) - I broke a belt and need to order some replacements. The last few I have owned have been uh, bad and not had a long life, I would love some recommendations of brands to check out for leather belts!

I ordered a leather belt from Brave Star Selvedge . It has held up very well.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Well now I'm interested in their jeans. Do you own any? How well do they deal with thicc boys?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Well now I'm interested in their jeans. Do you own any? How well do they deal with thicc boys?

I have one pair, they're my only pair of Selvedge

I like them a lot.

I'm a pretty skinny person, but I do have some leg muscles. I don't remember which cut of jeans I bought, they aren't skinny jeans, but they have some taper. They're snug on my calves for the first couple of wears after a wash.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

I have one pair, they're my only pair of Selvedge

I like them a lot.

I'm a pretty skinny person, but I do have some leg muscles. I don't remember which cut of jeans I bought, they aren't skinny jeans, but they have some taper. They're snug on my calves for the first couple of wears after a wash.

I'm not worried about legs, I have found a lot of jeans tend to be cut with the assumption that men do not have an ass.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    @Doodmann

https://bravestarselvage.com/pages/sizing

I don't have much of an ass, but there's a sizing guide

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »

In addition to. The way I’ve gotten it explained oil is mainly for moisturizing the skin beneath the beard but also the beard itself.

Thanks!

Follow up: I’m thinking of trying beard conditioner for the first time (already have a beard shampoo I use once a week)— thoughts on mixing scents? The shampoo and oil I use are both scented as “Timber” but the conditioner I’m looking at is peppermint. Would the scents conflict? Like add up to something that smells bad?

• Options
    @Cello I dip dyed my hair blue and the color is great. The bad news is I don’t like it much, I think blue makes me look tired, so I’m probably just gonna let it fade . But anyway I wanted to remember to recommend Joico to you for touch ups - it’s non staining, so way easier to handle in a home bathroom than manic panic, and as long as your hair is light or pre bleached the color is excellent.

I might put a blue photo up later, for posterity, if I can get a good one.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

Thanks!

Follow up: I’m thinking of trying beard conditioner for the first time (already have a beard shampoo I use once a week)— thoughts on mixing scents? The shampoo and oil I use are both scented as “Timber” but the conditioner I’m looking at is peppermint. Would the scents conflict? Like add up to something that smells bad?

I haven't found the scents in any beard products to last very long once I put them on. Within 10 minutes the small has faded away, so go with whatever you think smells good.

I'm partial to beard gel/jelly that are a mix of oils and balms. Currently I'm using Layrite's concentrated beard oil but Bossman Beard Oil is also great (use it for the past 3 years but wanted to try something different).

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »

Thanks!

I haven't found the scents in any beard products to last very long once I put them on. Within 10 minutes the small has faded away, so go with whatever you think smells good.

I'm partial to beard gel/jelly that are a mix of oils and balms. Currently I'm using Layrite's concentrated beard oil but I've Bossman Beard Oil is also great (use it for the past 3 years but wanted to try something different).

I use
    https://www.amazon.com/Mountaineer-Brand-Scented-Cedarwood-Conditioning/dp/B00H5UGUTS/ref=psdc_7655122011_t3_B00M49SG0Q

and it works real well, but the scent also dissipates really quickly

I've also heard pretty much nothing but good things about Honest Amish brand products

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    @Cello I dip dyed my hair blue and the color is great. The bad news is I don’t like it much, I think blue makes me look tired, so I’m probably just gonna let it fade . But anyway I wanted to remember to recommend Joico to you for touch ups - it’s non staining, so way easier to handle in a home bathroom than manic panic, and as long as your hair is light or pre bleached the color is excellent.

Ooh, yes, please do! I think Sally's carried Joico as well, I'll have to see if they have a similar red...

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    I've learned that I should have never bought a watch a month or so ago.

I have now bought 3. My mistake was not buying a watch that looks good with every outfit, followed by being swayed into one that was neat looking and on sale, and then finally getting around to buying the one I wanted to be my second.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Cormac wrote: »

Thanks!

I'm partial to beard gel/jelly that are a mix of oils and balms. Currently I'm using Layrite's concentrated beard oil but I've Bossman Beard Oil is also great (use it for the past 3 years but wanted to try something different).

I use
    https://www.amazon.com/Mountaineer-Brand-Scented-Cedarwood-Conditioning/dp/B00H5UGUTS/ref=psdc_7655122011_t3_B00M49SG0Q

and it works real well, but the scent also dissipates really quickly

I've also heard pretty much nothing but good things about Honest Amish brand products

I'm a big fan of Honest Amish. Really like their soaps and balms.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

I have now bought 3. My mistake was not buying a watch that looks good with every outfit, followed by being swayed into one that was neat looking and on sale, and then finally getting around to buying the one I wanted to be my second.

that's a big part of why I bought the one I did - for what I'd wear it with, it can match just about anything. plus the band switches out pretty easily and replacements are only like $10, so if I really want some variety it's not too expensive

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

Watch collecting can go deeper and far more expensive than you can possibly imagine. However, there is a huge selection of stuff that's affordable for every budget.

I've grown too used to wearing smart watch to go back to a normal watch, but someday I hope it's within my budget own a couple of really nice Swiss watches and/or some Grand Seikos. Luckily, there's a huge used market for watches where you can find, within reason, almost anything used saving yourself thousands of dollars. Just make sure to buy through reputable dealers and not through Ebay where you can and will end up with fake junk.

I've always been into watches, unfortunately, always the ones far out of my price range. The Watch and Listen video show (the video version of the podcast) was really fun to, um, watch. The cheap watch episode is a good place to start https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFqels5pgBQ

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    I'll make sure to check out that video later.

I'm definitely on the cheaper side of things, relatively speaking. An Orient Bambino, a Seiko Recraft, and a Citizen Eco-Drive. I'm trying to kind of find what I want out of a watch, and using guidance of a watch collecting coworker.

Specific models are: (Orient) RA-AP0003S10A , (Seiko) SNKP23, and (Citizen) CA0420-07E . I'm planning on wearing the Seiko going out, the Citizen for black pants, and the Orient for brown pants/every day. I have come to adore that watch.

• Options
    one thing i learned way back in college was that i can't wear watches with those stretchy metal bands, because i have pretty hairy arms and it gets stuck in there constantly. not a great feeling!

• Options
    Cello wrote: »

Ooh, yes, please do! I think Sally's carried Joico as well, I'll have to see if they have a similar red...

Welp it was windy as hell on the marina so I couldn't keep my hair still, but you can see the colour at least!
    x3b9tjqikc41.jpg

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    one thing i learned way back in college was that i can't wear watches with those stretchy metal bands, because i have pretty hairy arms and it gets stuck in there constantly. not a great feeling!

I always replaced metal armbands with leather ones. Just more comfortable and I like the look better.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    honovere wrote: »

I always replaced metal armbands with leather ones. Just more comfortable and I like the look better.

I've just done the opposite. My skin likes to dissolve the glue that holds together the little leather woggles that you tuck the excess strap into so after a year or so of wear I end up with a strap just dangling off the side and catching on things

I had to buy a little bracelet-link removal tool to get the correct size of metal strap, though, as the size that the shop did for me ended up being too small and cut the blood flow off from my left hand

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular

As a person who has spent, we'll say...enough money on fountain pens and inks, it's nice seeing the disease in other ventures!

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I bought some solid cologne made with Buffalo Trace bourbon and was all aw yeah gonna smell awesome but then I remembered I don't ever leave the house any more.