Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[US Foreign Policy] The Second Coming

1646567697079

Posts

  • MillMill Registered User regular
    Putin is an absolute idiot if he thinks telling Trump to get out of there will somehow benefit his country. I just see that area destabilizing coming back to bite him in the ass. Mainly in the form that it's going to end up pissing off some of the few countries that don't already absolutely hate Putin's guts. Afghanistan is next door to Iran, while the rulers that have power in Iran have a pretty big hate boner for the US, I seriously doubt that they'd prefer essentially a death cult that views them as heretics coming back to power. Likely, they'd probably have preferred some sort of arrangement where the US leaves, has no real influence over the Afghan government and then strike some sort of relationship that benefits them with said government. That doesn't happen if the Taliban, Al-Qaeda or ISIS gain prominent power there and is likely to result in them have to spend resources on keeping those fuckers out.

    Likewise, I doubt China is thrilled by the idea of Kashmir turning into a shit show, since that's right on their border; especially, since that means two neighbors with nukes might be going at it. I'm sure there are a few other nations in that region that are closer to Russia than the US, that probably will be rather unhappy with the end result. Also doubt they'll just lay blame for this at just the feet of the US and might not even do that, if they strongly suspect that Russian fuckery is what got Trump to power.

    I wouldn't be at all surprised if Putin pushed for this because he is narrow mined psychopath that only cares about his ego and doesn't seem capable of in depth long term planning. Just on what gets him his win, which is probably why Trump likes the shit heel so much. Hell, the US probably benefits long term on getting out of the conflicts in that region, given that we have a party that is beholden to shitty oligarchs that can't plan long term and don't view others as people. Just means they can't further fuck things up and waste lives and resources for their fucking vanity.

    FencingsaxAim
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    NK sent Trump another "very beautiful letter" demanding the US stop exercises with South Korea, so we're going to stop, I think? Trump is an idiot so it's hard to tell what the fuck he means.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
    MillGnome-InterruptusTicaldfjammonikerMegaMekMild ConfusionMorganVjdarksunNobeardJaysonFourElldren
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    NK sent Trump another "very beautiful letter" demanding the US stop exercises with South Korea, so we're going to stop, I think? Trump is an idiot so it's hard to tell what the fuck he means.

    What if South Korea agrees to put gold filigree on their navy?

  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Putin is an absolute idiot if he thinks telling Trump to get out of there will somehow benefit his country. I just see that area destabilizing coming back to bite him in the ass. Mainly in the form that it's going to end up pissing off some of the few countries that don't already absolutely hate Putin's guts. Afghanistan is next door to Iran, while the rulers that have power in Iran have a pretty big hate boner for the US, I seriously doubt that they'd prefer essentially a death cult that views them as heretics coming back to power. Likely, they'd probably have preferred some sort of arrangement where the US leaves, has no real influence over the Afghan government and then strike some sort of relationship that benefits them with said government. That doesn't happen if the Taliban, Al-Qaeda or ISIS gain prominent power there and is likely to result in them have to spend resources on keeping those fuckers out.

    Likewise, I doubt China is thrilled by the idea of Kashmir turning into a shit show, since that's right on their border; especially, since that means two neighbors with nukes might be going at it. I'm sure there are a few other nations in that region that are closer to Russia than the US, that probably will be rather unhappy with the end result. Also doubt they'll just lay blame for this at just the feet of the US and might not even do that, if they strongly suspect that Russian fuckery is what got Trump to power.

    I wouldn't be at all surprised if Putin pushed for this because he is narrow mined psychopath that only cares about his ego and doesn't seem capable of in depth long term planning. Just on what gets him his win, which is probably why Trump likes the shit heel so much. Hell, the US probably benefits long term on getting out of the conflicts in that region, given that we have a party that is beholden to shitty oligarchs that can't plan long term and don't view others as people. Just means they can't further fuck things up and waste lives and resources for their fucking vanity.

    It's a win for putin in that he views the US as his only real rival on the world stage (china is an upstart and the EU is more annoying then dangerous) and with them out he can exert greater influence.

    Basically he's still playing by cold war logic.

    Richy wrote: »
    But I think the resistance I’m getting more has to do with “rawr! Loklar said it! Rage!” than anything else.

    No, it has to do with the fact that you're done nothing but throw lies, blatant flasehoods, and downright dumb statements at us so far.
    TicaldfjamYoutube
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Imagine telling someone in 2006 that the Taliban and Al-Qaeda would be the moderate, good guy side of Salafism in 2019

    Yeah its weird defending the Taliban, but the Taliban isn't out for exporting an Islamic Revolution like Iran or out for international jihad like Al-Qaeda or IS (though they may harbor it).

    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    North Korea celebrated with another couple missile tests.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    Imagine telling someone in 2006 that the Taliban and Al-Qaeda would be the moderate, good guy side of Salafism in 2019

    Yeah its weird defending the Taliban, but the Taliban isn't out for exporting an Islamic Revolution like Iran or out for international jihad like Al-Qaeda or IS (though they may harbor it).

    The Taliban was cozy with Al Qaeda for years though. Negotiating with them is definitely dealing with evil but the war in Afghanistan has been going nowhere for like 13 years

    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
    JepheryCommander ZoomGnome-InterruptusStabbity Style
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Well... in case you weren't having nightmares already about Trump's dismantling of the intelligence community...


    - CNN is a news organization.

    Basically, Sue Gordon (just resigned Deputy DNI) was set to brief Trump in person recently, and was refused by Trump, on arriving at the White House. That intelligence agents appear to be fearful that not only will Trump not listen to certain topics (such as Russian interference), but that they may be passed over, fired, or even investigated, for doing so.

    This is seven different shades of fucked up. Something suspected, but having it reported on, is just chilling.

    Ticaldfjamautono-wally, erotibot300Mild ConfusionFencingsaxBlackDragon480durandal4532TNTrooperGnome-InterruptusGaddezMillelectricitylikesmeCelestialBadgerForarjdarksunNobeardJaysonFourElldrenYoutubeboogedybooMegaMekRedTideJazzOghulkHellerbooytynicHappy Little Machine
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    This administration has made it quite clear that it has, and wants, nothing to do with intelligence.
    (I wish that were more of a joke. I mean, it is, but...)

    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    TicaldfjamPreacherMorganVMild ConfusionmonikerTetraRayGnome-InterruptuselectricitylikesmePolaritiejdarksunJaysonFourElldrenKayne Red RobeMegaMekAistanFoolOnTheHillJazzCalicatynicJoolanderHappy Little Machine
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    This administration has made it quite clear that it has, and wants, nothing to do with intelligence.
    (I wish that were more of a joke. I mean, it is, but...)

    It’s so bad.

    Putin has managed to get the US to either weaken or figuratively dismantle its own intelligence, diplomacy, and investigative departments as well as set DoD efforts by decades.

    steam_sig.png

    Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    MorganVCommander ZoommonikerTetraRayBlackDragon480TicaldfjamGnome-Interruptusautono-wally, erotibot300PolaritieForarjdarksunMayabirdNobeardJaysonFourArdolthatassemblyguyElldrenYoutubeboogedybooMegaMekMaijinamuroLovelyAistanDoodmannJazzHellerbooy
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    This administration has made it quite clear that it has, and wants, nothing to do with intelligence.
    (I wish that were more of a joke. I mean, it is, but...)

    It’s so bad.

    Putin has managed to get the US to either weaken or figuratively dismantle its own intelligence, diplomacy, and investigative departments as well as set DoD efforts by decades.

    Basically the entire executive branch is now built around keeping Donald Trump happy. That's the focus of all it's policies and procedures.

    FencingsaxMild ConfusionCommander ZoomGnome-InterruptusGaddezautono-wally, erotibot300CelestialBadgerjdarksunMayabirdmrpakuNobeardJaysonFourMrVyngaardArdolElldrenYoutubeboogedybooMegaMekJazztynicJoolanderHappy Little Machine
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    This administration has made it quite clear that it has, and wants, nothing to do with intelligence.
    (I wish that were more of a joke. I mean, it is, but...)

    It’s so bad.

    Putin has managed to get the US to either weaken or figuratively dismantle its own intelligence, diplomacy, and investigative departments as well as set DoD efforts by decades.

    Basically the entire executive branch and approximately half the legislative branch is now built around keeping Donald Trump happy. That's the focus of all it's policies and procedures.

    Fixed that for you. That the Executive is doing it, is bad enough. But Trump gets to hand pick nearly all of them, so it's kinda expected from someone with Trump's mindset of wanting to surround himself with toadies.

    That Republicans continue to allow this fucker to do so, is where the real problem lies. All because they're either too cowardly, too compromised, or are accepting of the tradeoff of crippling the US's ability to respond to geopolitical threats in exchange for tax cuts and judicial appointments.

    FencingsaxPreacherBigJoeMTicaldfjamIncenjucarelectricitylikesmeForarjdarksunmrpakuDee KaeJaysonFourMrVyngaardthatassemblyguyElldrenYoutubeboogedybooMegaMekJazztynicHappy Little Machine
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Putin cares about Russia the way Trump cares about America. Its only value is to aggrandize him and he is perfectly happy for it to be a smoking ruin ten minutes after he kicks the bucket.

    CelestialBadgerMorganVMayabirdZibblsnrtJaysonFourMrVyngaardGnome-InterruptusElldrenDoodmannJazz
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://nypost.com/2019/08/09/trump-cracks-jokes-about-rent-control-kamikaze-pilots-at-hamptons-fundraiser/
    Trump also made fun of US allies South Korea, Japan and the European Union — mimicking Japanese and Korean accents — and talked about his love of dictators Kim Jong Un and the current ruler of Saudi Arabia.

    He started by saying how the EU had not paid its share to NATO and he insisted it does so.

    Talking about South Korea, Trump said it makes great TVs and has a thriving economy, “So why are we paying for their defense. They’ve got to pay.” He then mimicked the accent of the leader Moon Jae-in while describing how he caved in to Trump’s tough negotiations.

    On his remarkable friendship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, “I just got a beautiful letter from him this week. We are friends. People say he only smiles when he sees me.

    “If I hadn’t been elected president we would be in a big fat juicy war with North Korea. “

    Turning to Japan, Trump then put on a fake Japanese accent to recount his conversations with Shinzo Abe over their conversations over trade tariffs.

    Trump spoke about his friendship with Abe and how fascinated he was with Abe’s father, who had been a kamikaze pilot. Trump asked Abe if the kamikaze pilots were drunk or on drugs. Abe said no, they just loved their country. Trump remarked, “Imagine they get in a plane with a half a tank of gas and fly into steel ships just for the love of their country!”
    Of course Trump will be learning about Japanese history from a goddamned nationalist.

  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The latest Russian explosion now confirmed to involve radioactive material. Not great!

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    The latest Russian explosion now confirmed to involve radioactive material. Not great!
    I haven't been keeping up with international news - what explosion is this? O.o

    Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
    NobeardFencingsaxXaquinDoctor DetroitDoodmann
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    The latest Russian explosion now confirmed to involve radioactive material. Not great!
    I haven't been keeping up with international news - what explosion is this? O.o

    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49301438

    This one.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    The latest Russian explosion now confirmed to involve radioactive material. Not great!
    I haven't been keeping up with international news - what explosion is this? O.o

    On mobile so my linking is sketchy. There were two major explosions in Russia this week. The first we think was an ammo depot which caused an amazing shockwave which was caught on video.

    The second was supposedly an experimental missile test that killed 5 people. Russia is now admitting that test involved some sort of radioactive material two days afterwards. My personal bet is the fuel for a nuclear armed cruise missile went off as basically a dirty bomb. But Russia is being super opaque.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
  • LanzLanz Registered User regular
    edited August 11
    The latest Russian explosion now confirmed to involve radioactive material. Not great!

    Were they trying to make a Project Pluto?


    Cause it sounds distressingly like they were trying to make a Project Pluto

    Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    ElldrenMolotovCockatoo
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://nypost.com/2019/08/09/trump-cracks-jokes-about-rent-control-kamikaze-pilots-at-hamptons-fundraiser/
    Trump also made fun of US allies South Korea, Japan and the European Union — mimicking Japanese and Korean accents — and talked about his love of dictators Kim Jong Un and the current ruler of Saudi Arabia.

    He started by saying how the EU had not paid its share to NATO and he insisted it does so.

    Talking about South Korea, Trump said it makes great TVs and has a thriving economy, “So why are we paying for their defense. They’ve got to pay.” He then mimicked the accent of the leader Moon Jae-in while describing how he caved in to Trump’s tough negotiations.

    On his remarkable friendship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, “I just got a beautiful letter from him this week. We are friends. People say he only smiles when he sees me.

    “If I hadn’t been elected president we would be in a big fat juicy war with North Korea. “

    Turning to Japan, Trump then put on a fake Japanese accent to recount his conversations with Shinzo Abe over their conversations over trade tariffs.

    Trump spoke about his friendship with Abe and how fascinated he was with Abe’s father, who had been a kamikaze pilot. Trump asked Abe if the kamikaze pilots were drunk or on drugs. Abe said no, they just loved their country. Trump remarked, “Imagine they get in a plane with a half a tank of gas and fly into steel ships just for the love of their country!”
    Of course Trump will be learning about Japanese history from a goddamned nationalist.

    The casual racism is fucking charming.

    PreacherelectricitylikesmeTicaldfjamNobeardZonugalDarkPrimusJaysonFourFencingsaxshrykeEmerlmaster999destroyah87AegisCommander ZoomCouscousGnome-InterruptusSmrtnikRhesus PositivemrpakuArdolOrcaEchoMrVyngaardSleepDoctor Detroitdurandal4532MagellboogedybooMild ConfusionjdarksunStabbity StyleMegaMekMaijinamurokimeRedTideFoolOnTheHillJazzKetBraDrovekCalicatynicJoolanderDuke 2.0Happy Little MachineHavelock2.0never die
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://nypost.com/2019/08/09/trump-cracks-jokes-about-rent-control-kamikaze-pilots-at-hamptons-fundraiser/
    Trump also made fun of US allies South Korea, Japan and the European Union — mimicking Japanese and Korean accents — and talked about his love of dictators Kim Jong Un and the current ruler of Saudi Arabia.

    He started by saying how the EU had not paid its share to NATO and he insisted it does so.

    Talking about South Korea, Trump said it makes great TVs and has a thriving economy, “So why are we paying for their defense. They’ve got to pay.” He then mimicked the accent of the leader Moon Jae-in while describing how he caved in to Trump’s tough negotiations.

    On his remarkable friendship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, “I just got a beautiful letter from him this week. We are friends. People say he only smiles when he sees me.

    “If I hadn’t been elected president we would be in a big fat juicy war with North Korea. “

    Turning to Japan, Trump then put on a fake Japanese accent to recount his conversations with Shinzo Abe over their conversations over trade tariffs.

    Trump spoke about his friendship with Abe and how fascinated he was with Abe’s father, who had been a kamikaze pilot. Trump asked Abe if the kamikaze pilots were drunk or on drugs. Abe said no, they just loved their country. Trump remarked, “Imagine they get in a plane with a half a tank of gas and fly into steel ships just for the love of their country!”
    Of course Trump will be learning about Japanese history from a goddamned nationalist.

    "He started by saying how the EU had not paid its share to NATO and he insisted it does so."

    This just shows how insulated he is, and how feckless the people around him are, that noone apparently has told him "THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS!".

    He's been riding that horse for years now, and everytime he says it, it just screams "I'm an ignorant jackass" more than normal. Either that, or they have told him, repeatedly, and he either thinks it's worthwhile to say, or he's forgotten time and again.

    Also, those arguing Trump isn't a racist when he's apparently mocking Japanese and Korean accents? Yeah, it was stupid for them to try and mount that defense to begin with, but this is an "I SHIT MYSELF ON PURPOSE!" response to those people by Trump.

    PreacherTicaldfjamForarJaysonFourRchanenCouscousGnome-InterruptusmrpakuArdoldestroyah87MillElldrenYoutubeautono-wally, erotibot300Mild ConfusionjdarksunMaijinamuroLovelyJazzHellerbooy
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The president isn't a racist he just really loves Mickey Rooney.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    To be fair, if he had been told "that's not how this works" he would be acting the exact same way.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    Emerlmaster999Commander ZoomCouscousYoutubeMild ConfusionjdarksunMaijinamuroCalica
  • Lanz wrote: »
    The latest Russian explosion now confirmed to involve radioactive material. Not great!

    Were they trying to make a Project Pluto?


    Cause it sounds distressingly like they were trying to make a Project Pluto
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The notion of using a nuclear reactor to heat the air was fundamentally new. Unlike commercial reactors, which are surrounded by concrete, the Pluto reactor had to be small and compact enough to fly, but durable enough to survive a 7,000-mile trip to a potential target. The nuclear engine could, in principle, operate for months, so a Pluto cruise missile could be left airborne for a prolonged time before being directed to carry out its attack.

    The SLAM, as proposed, would carry a payload of many nuclear weapons to be dropped on multiple targets, making the cruise missile into an unmanned bomber. After delivering all its warheads, the missile could then spend weeks flying over populated areas at low altitudes, causing tremendous ground damage with its shock wave and fallout. When it finally lost enough power to fly, and crash-landed, the engine would have a good chance of spewing deadly radiation for months to come.

    Haha, cool, I guess "Project Stomp The Planet to Death" would be pretty unwieldy, like what a fucking deranged thing to conceive

    NobeardPolaritieAl_watToxGnome-InterruptusFencingsaxArdolHarry DresdenElldrenhonovereMild ConfusionMaijinamurokimeCalicaHappy Little Machine
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Nuclear rockets make a lot of sense. Both in the deterrent sense and for commercial purposes.

    For deterrents theyre good because you cannot use them offensively. The “idiocy” is basically the point. Because you can neither take land after you spew radiotion all over it for multiple days, nor can you destory launch sites with such a weapon no one is worried about it being used in a first strike capacity. This is ideal because offensive viability is what determines the risk/necessity of a first strike action.

    Consider as an example the standard standoff with guns. Optimal strategy is to fire as soon as you can because if you dont they can. And if that happens the probability you dont get to pull the trigger is high.

    For commercial purposes theyre fuel efficient and that means theyre potentially good for long range space travel. And since you dont really care about irradiating space there are few downsides.

    wbBv3fj.png
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Total Goober Registered User regular
    Russia is going full speed ahead on some really terrifying weapon ideas. They claim to have a nuclear torpedo with incredible range whose purpose is to make a radioactive tsunami.

    A nuclear power missile wouldn't surprise me. If you can't match the US and NATO in conventional means you need to get creative.

    The sad thing is this was all started before we started scrapping arms treaties with them.

    YoutubeCelestialBadgerMolotovCockatoo
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, Putin is a massive piece of shit psychopath. If there is one thing getting worse currently on the global stage, that we can't blame on Trump is some small manner. It's every shitty thing that Putin has been up because he'd be doing it regardless of who was running the US. He doesn't give a shit about the consequences. I suspect he'd still be playing it on the down low because even if Trump is a massive fucking idiot that he can goad into doing things that he deems useful. I just don't see either the EU or China be at all comfortable with some of the shit he has been up to and the latter probably would have no qualms using one of many avenues open to them to absolutely ruin Putin's plans and life, if they decide he is too much of a threat (like I'm willing to be that China does have the resources to curb stomp Russia's digital infrastructure and may very well have enough dirty laundry on Russia that they can drop in such a way to not draw attention to themselves, while absolutely fucking Russia's diplomatic and economic options.

    I have to wonder how China is currently evaluating the current state of things. I kind of suspect that they'd rather have had Clinton as the current US president because it seems like Trump's idiocy is pretty much fucking them over in some angles that are going to be hard to recover from. Unlike Putin and Trump, as awful as their leadership can be at times, it does seem like they are at least attempting to think long term. Neither Trump or Putin really seem to care about things outside a limited timeframe and only for things that make them feel good about themselves.

    The thing that Trump and a ton of ilk miss, is that US dominance from WWII wasn't sustainable. The US just had the good fortune of being mostly emerging both mostly intact and also being the largest developed economy after WWII. Once others rebuilt or developed, it was going to be nearly impossible for one or two countries to wield the level of influence the US and Russia had during the cold war. Hell, barring something drastic, I kind of figured things would settle on essentially have 3-5 countries that would be considered super powers, with several countries not too far from actually being super powers. So essentially, a really messy web of various powers competing for influence and even the super powers running into scenarios where even their closest partners don't always agree or back what they want.

  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Yeah, Putin is a massive piece of shit psychopath. If there is one thing getting worse currently on the global stage, that we can't blame on Trump is some small manner. It's every shitty thing that Putin has been up because he'd be doing it regardless of who was running the US. He doesn't give a shit about the consequences. I suspect he'd still be playing it on the down low because even if Trump is a massive fucking idiot that he can goad into doing things that he deems useful. I just don't see either the EU or China be at all comfortable with some of the shit he has been up to and the latter probably would have no qualms using one of many avenues open to them to absolutely ruin Putin's plans and life, if they decide he is too much of a threat (like I'm willing to be that China does have the resources to curb stomp Russia's digital infrastructure and may very well have enough dirty laundry on Russia that they can drop in such a way to not draw attention to themselves, while absolutely fucking Russia's diplomatic and economic options.

    Agree with everything you said, except this.

    No, Putin wouldn't be a model leader under a normal presidency. He'd continue to push hard at the edges, and might force issues that noone wants to deal with.

    But I absolutely think he's emboldened by Trump being a fawning bootlick. Not just because Trump appears to be at best naive, at worst compromised, but how weak Trump has made global opposition to Russia pitiful.

    Trump has completely undermined NATO, and continues to do so, and while Europe will still oppose Putin, it's much harder to project a united front when your strongest ally is a feckless wimp.

    Similarly, any other President would probably be able to work with China, despite trade differences, to oppose the more extreme geopolitics Russia looks to want to engage in. But because Trump is engaged in a pissy tradewar, I can absolutely see China telling the US to pound sand. China will still do what's in their own best interest, but they're less likely to do it for PR reasons than they might under a normal President.

    TLDR, Putin would still be a despot, but Trump's undermining the ability of the world to oppose him, which no other President would.

    FencingsaxYoutubeEmerlmaster999Gnome-InterruptusForarFireflashCommander ZoomTicaldfjamJaysonFourRchanenMild ConfusionIncenjucarArdolToxGONG-00jdarksunMrVyngaardMegaMekMaijinamuroTynnanElldrenButtersOrcaThe SaucetynicJoolanderDuke 2.0Happy Little Machine
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-justin-trudeau-sharpie-letters-b036862c-7aaf-4fb8-b8d3-3724e15fd2c5.html
    President Trump has sent highly unusual, Sharpie-written notes to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at least twice, Axios has learned.

    One missive was so odd, the Canadian ambassador double-checked with the White House to be sure it wasn't a prank. In at least one instance, Trudeau also wrote to Trump. The exchange of handwritten notes, never before reported, was confirmed by several sources with firsthand knowledge.

    The diplomatic missives include:

    A torn-out Bloomberg Businessweek cover featuring a portrait of Justin Trudeau.
    A back-and-forth about U.S.-Canada trade figures that culminated in Trudeau sending Trump a printout of the website of the Office of the United States Trade Representative with a smiley face beside the U.S. government figure showing America has a trade surplus with Canada (contrary to Trump's claims).

    I'm going to just bang my head against the wall repeatedly.

    Jesus.

    CelestialBadgerYoutubeautono-wally, erotibot300MegaMekKayne Red RobePreacherCommander ZoommonikerSleepKruiteCouscousAegisStabbity StyleTNTrooperSolarAridholDavid WalgasMorganVFencingsaxVoid SlayerkimeLovelyAl_watExtreaminatusZonugalelectricitylikesmeGnome-InterruptusBloodsheedElldrenRchanenForarNobeardEmerlmaster999ToxRedTideIncenjucarBarrakkethscherbchenAntoshkaErlecMild ConfusionMagellButtersBlackDragon480FryFoolOnTheHillJazzRhesus PositiveKetBraDark Raven XDrovekCalicaThe SauceHellerbooyEinzeltynicBurnageJoolanderDuke 2.0Happy Little Machinenever die
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    The latest Russian explosion now confirmed to involve radioactive material. Not great!

    Were they trying to make a Project Pluto?


    Cause it sounds distressingly like they were trying to make a Project Pluto

    Russia now is saying it was a regular ol' nuclear reactor explosion that happened because if a test of nuclear power as a potential power source for a rocket.

  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-justin-trudeau-sharpie-letters-b036862c-7aaf-4fb8-b8d3-3724e15fd2c5.html
    President Trump has sent highly unusual, Sharpie-written notes to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at least twice, Axios has learned.

    One missive was so odd, the Canadian ambassador double-checked with the White House to be sure it wasn't a prank. In at least one instance, Trudeau also wrote to Trump. The exchange of handwritten notes, never before reported, was confirmed by several sources with firsthand knowledge.

    The diplomatic missives include:

    A torn-out Bloomberg Businessweek cover featuring a portrait of Justin Trudeau.
    A back-and-forth about U.S.-Canada trade figures that culminated in Trudeau sending Trump a printout of the website of the Office of the United States Trade Representative with a smiley face beside the U.S. government figure showing America has a trade surplus with Canada (contrary to Trump's claims).

    I'm going to just bang my head against the wall repeatedly.

    Jesus.

    So tired of winning.

    FencingsaxXaquinPreacherArbitraryDescriptormonikerZonugalelectricitylikesmeTicaldfjamRchanenNobeardEmerlmaster999ToxMild ConfusionButtersDrovekJoolander
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »
    The latest Russian explosion now confirmed to involve radioactive material. Not great!

    Were they trying to make a Project Pluto?


    Cause it sounds distressingly like they were trying to make a Project Pluto

    Russia now is saying it was a regular ol' nuclear reactor explosion that happened because if a test of nuclear power as a potential power source for a rocket.

    So... that seems bad? Both that they're doing it, and doing it poorly.

    AridholPreacherFencingsaxGnome-InterruptusToxMolotovCockatooMill
  • LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited August 12
    On his remarkable friendship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, “I just got a beautiful letter from him this week. We are friends. People say he only smiles when he sees me.

    Assuming this is even true, I guess it's too much to hope that Trump, or his supporters, would spare the slightest moment to ponder why this would be the case.

    Ladai on
    4zyrt5.jpg
    ArbitraryDescriptorPreacherFencingsaxCommander ZoomTicaldfjamMorganVmonikerElldrenCelestialBadgerEchoMild ConfusionDrovekJaysonFour
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »
    The latest Russian explosion now confirmed to involve radioactive material. Not great!

    Were they trying to make a Project Pluto?


    Cause it sounds distressingly like they were trying to make a Project Pluto

    Russia now is saying it was a regular ol' nuclear reactor explosion that happened because if a test of nuclear power as a potential power source for a rocket.

    So... that seems bad? Both that they're doing it, and doing it poorly.

    Hopefully, they weren't trying to run worst case scenario drills when it happened.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited August 12
    Chinese People's Armed Police have deployed dozens of trucks and heavy machinery to Shenzhen on the border of Hong Kong: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3022479/chinese-armed-police-truck-convoy-rolls-city-near-hong-kong

    the central government has not yet intervened in Hong Kong and insists they will not do so except in the case of major rioting at Hong Kong's request. According to the PRC, the force amassing at Shenzhen is merely an exercise.

    Dongs Galore on
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 12
    Chinese People's Armed Police have deployed dozens of trucks and heavy machinery to Shenzhen on the border of Hong Kong: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3022479/chinese-armed-police-truck-convoy-rolls-city-near-hong-kong

    the central government has not yet intervened in Hong Kong and insists they will not do so except in the case of major rioting at Hong Kong's request. According to the PRC, the force amassing at Shenzhen is merely an exercise.
    Ha ha, they are taking the; "Jade Helm" approach straight out of Clay Abbott's playbook.

    And In before Trump goes; " How can I do that here, and soon!?"

    Ticaldfjam on
    SleepOrca
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Chinese People's Armed Police have deployed dozens of trucks and heavy machinery to Shenzhen on the border of Hong Kong: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3022479/chinese-armed-police-truck-convoy-rolls-city-near-hong-kong

    the central government has not yet intervened in Hong Kong and insists they will not do so except in the case of major rioting at Hong Kong's request. According to the PRC, the force amassing at Shenzhen is merely an exercise.

    I'll take "Blatant Fucking Lies" for 200, Alex.

    spool32 wrote:
    he pops this cobalt blue tetrahedron like he's thought of something. I'm like son, you know that's just a reskinned fireball, right?
    TicaldfjamCommander ZoomFencingsaxMayabirdViskodTetraNitroCubaneSolarMild ConfusionOrcaButtersOghulkJazzFANTOMASJaysonFourMaijinamuroHappy Little Machine
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well good thing the US has such a strong foreign policy with ch... fuck it I can't even keep the joke going.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Gnome-InterruptusTicaldfjamSleepMegaMekOrcaYoutubeJaysonFour
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well good thing the US has such a strong foreign policy with ch... fuck it I can't even keep the joke going.

    I do wish we had signed on for TPP. And weren't having foreign policy directed by the stupidest man on God's Green Earth. But outside of being willing to go to the mat on this (and we wouldn't be) I don't know what we could actually do to stop this.

    spool32 wrote:
    he pops this cobalt blue tetrahedron like he's thought of something. I'm like son, you know that's just a reskinned fireball, right?
    SmrtnikElldrenOrca
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    There's only so much even a competent US administration could do here. I don't think any amount of pressure would convince China they don't need to crush this defiance Tienanmen Square style.

    What a competent Dem Admin could do, I think, would be to use this to build support in the region against the Chinese and strengthen the US's hand in the region.

    FencingsaxRchanenPreacherGnome-InterruptusTicaldfjamElldrenGONG-00OrcaButtersKaputaNobeardKetBra
Sign In or Register to comment.