Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[US Foreign Policy] The Second Coming

1656668707179

Posts

  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well good thing the US has such a strong foreign policy with ch... fuck it I can't even keep the joke going.

    Simple incompetence would be an improvement over Trump's admiration of dictatorial strongman tactics.

    Harry DresdenBhowEmerlmaster999ElldrenCalicaJaysonFourtynicJazz
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    It's at times like these that you remember just how fucking horrible the PRC government is.

    CelestialBadgerGnome-InterruptusshrykeCptKemzikElldrenFencingsaxNobeardJaysonFourtynicHappy Little MachineJazz
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 13
    Jesus, reading his tweet, where he beams about receiving a letter from a brutal dictator, and then parrots the dictators talking points word for word and calls his own countries military exercises to maintain readiness in South Korea “ridiculous and expensive”, siding with the dictator over his own country and an ally.

    I mean, I know this is every day, but holy fucking shit can you imagine if Obama had said that. Where are the support the troops Fox News hosts?

    Seriously that one tweet would have sunk any other president. Republicans would be calling for impeachment of any democrat who said that

    Its fucking mind boggling. Where are the republican hawks, where is Lindsay graham that fucking useless pile of mayo. Where are the pundits saying he doesn’t respect the troops or doubting his patriotism?

    Prohass on
    autono-wally, erotibot300Mild ConfusionHybridelectricitylikesmeLovelyCelestialBadgermonikerSleepToxEmerlmaster999TNTrooperCommander ZoomTicaldfjamButtersElldrenkimechrisnlFencingsaxNobeardZonugalArdolCalicaVeagleJaysonFourMaijinamurolonelyahavaHappy Little MachineJazz
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    It's maddening isn't it?

    Where I live in TN I'm surrounded by so much Trump support that I feel like I'm in the twilight zone looking around hoping to find anyone else that realizes how obviously stupid and easily manipulated he is.


    Artereis wrote: »
    It's not your fault, Viskod. 1 out of every 10 people just happens to be a monster.
    Mild ConfusionLovelyCelestialBadgerSleepToxMegaMekTNTrooperElldrenkimePreacherFencingsaxNobeardXantomasCalicaKamar
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited August 13
    Lanz wrote: »
    The latest Russian explosion now confirmed to involve radioactive material. Not great!

    Were they trying to make a Project Pluto?


    Cause it sounds distressingly like they were trying to make a Project Pluto

    The answer is yes, yes they were trying to make a Project Pluto.

    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russian-failed-nuclear-test-hints-putin-s-dangerous-plans-beat-n1041721

    Jealous Deva on
    Commander Zoom
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Even ignoring the whole
    "Think of it like a mini Chernobyl on a missile," said Narang at MIT. "It's an air-breathing cruise missile and they put an unshielded mini nuclear reactor on it. Obviously, that's pretty bat-s--- insane. We tried this in the 1960s and gave up for a reason, and this is why. It's very risky."
    thing. The weapon is a pretty god-awful idea since missile defenses can be easily beaten with raw numbers, so all this does is ramp up tensions since it's a relatively difficult to track 'fully armed and operational' nuclear warhead flying around roaming the Earth like Caine in Kung Fu. What happens when it eventually craps out and you end up with a 150kt (or higher) warhead with a heap of surrounding radioactive waste plowing down someplace. Not to mention the fun times of Russia wondering if they just lost some of their strategic deterrence due to enemy action or just what the hell countries are going to do when this thing goes whizzing by just outside their airspace.

    Even by Putin's Make Russia Great Again troll logic, this is a pretty stupid idea.

    TicaldfjamElldrenForarNobeardMild ConfusionHonk
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    There's only so much even a competent US administration could do here. I don't think any amount of pressure would convince China they don't need to crush this defiance Tienanmen Square style.

    What a competent Dem Admin could do, I think, would be to use this to build support in the region against the Chinese and strengthen the US's hand in the region.

    It's plausible that China pushing for these reforms in Hong Kong now is them taking advantage of a White House that is both weak on foreign policy and a consistent bad faith negotiator. A competent administration could conceivably have made meaningful progress on trade that it could threaten to derail in response to something like this.

    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
    JepheryFencingsaxGnome-InterruptusNobeardSiska
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Through massive devaluation of their currency and pumping vast sums of money into their system, the tens of billions of dollars that the U.S. is receiving is a gift from China
    What is he talking about?

  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited August 13
    Someone told him that a strong US dollar/weak Yuan is good for imports from China. It contradicts all his previous positions on currency.

    Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    FencingsaxElldrenGnome-InterruptusOghulk
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Through massive devaluation of their currency and pumping vast sums of money into their system, the tens of billions of dollars that the U.S. is receiving is a gift from China
    What is he talking about?

    Inflation report came out today and the headline rate ticked down (core up slightly but still basically just 2%) and his usual lie about China paying for tariffs.

    MorganV
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Don't forget that we're wasting or earning billions on whatever thing rattling around his empty head.

    Emerlmaster999
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Even if his tariffs made the US as much money as he ever promised they would, we've already spent that and more paying farmers for votes. So even if Trumps best case scenario actually happened, he still lost us money.

    Artereis wrote: »
    It's not your fault, Viskod. 1 out of every 10 people just happens to be a monster.
    PreacherElldrenGnome-InterruptusFencingsaxButtersYoutube
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Isn't the vast majority of the farm subsidies being handed out going to the giant corporate farms anyway? I don't keep up with this sort of thing myself but my cousin is very much interested in this sort of thing and she's made this point repeatedly. The big corporations are being propped up while the family farm setup is suffering.

    steam_sig.png
    Commander ZoomElldrenJaysonFour
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Tariffs are not necessarily used to generate revenue but to protect a domestic industry.

    The 2nd Amendment is unarguably one of the most liberal, liberating and radical statements ever made in human history.
    CaptainPeacockElldrentynicJoolander
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Tariffs are not necessarily used to generate revenue but to protect a domestic industry.

    And in that these are failing in both directions. They are harming domestic industry because of the counter tarriffs, and they are costing us more money

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Commander ZoomshrykejmcdonaldmonikerElldrenGnome-InterruptusFencingsaxBlackDragon480electricitylikesmeTicaldfjamNobeardArdolStabbity StyleMegaMekThe SauceButtersGaddezVeagleJaysonFourtynicMaijinamuroMrVyngaardJoolanderYoutubeHappy Little Machine
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Isn't the vast majority of the farm subsidies being handed out going to the giant corporate farms anyway? I don't keep up with this sort of thing myself but my cousin is very much interested in this sort of thing and she's made this point repeatedly. The big corporations are being propped up while the family farm setup is suffering.

    I hope the little farms are SUPER pleased to hear Trump announce that [corporate] farmers have been turning a profit on this.

    Commander Zoom
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Tariffs are not necessarily used to generate revenue but to protect a domestic industry.

    And in that these are failing in both directions. They are harming domestic industry because of the counter tariffs, and they are costing us more money

    Yep. The tariff on washing machines caused domestic producers to raise prices as well, and the market responded with fewer kitchen remodels overall since people generally replace appliances packages rather than piecemeal if they can. (The ones who don't are going for economy, and are even more price sensitive to tariffs.) Harming the entire sector, including washing machine manufacturers who were supposed to be protected, with their knock on effects.

    PreachershrykeElldrenBlackDragon480electricitylikesmeNobeardMegaMekJaysonFourYoutube
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Tariffs are not necessarily used to generate revenue but to protect a domestic industry.

    So how does the fact that China now buys it's soy beans elsewhere help the American farmer?

    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    GaddezMaijinamuroYoutube
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Tariffs are not necessarily used to generate revenue but to protect a domestic industry.

    So how does the fact that China now buys it's soy beans elsewhere help the American farmer?

    Because Trump is paying them with money from... uhh shit. But see it helps because uhhh shit.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Commander ZoomFencingsaxZonugalMegaMekJaysonFour
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    edited August 14
    Preacher wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Tariffs are not necessarily used to generate revenue but to protect a domestic industry.

    So how does the fact that China now buys it's soy beans elsewhere help the American farmer?

    Because Trump is paying them with money from... uhh shit. But see it helps because uhhh shit.

    China put tariffs on the soy beans, we weren't trying to protect those. Trump's tariffs were trying to protect... steel, I think?
    Since Trump’s 25 percent tariff on imported steel was implemented, U.S. Steel has shed roughly 70 percent of its market value — about $5.7 billion. Last month, the company announced it would halt production at two U.S. plants, one outside Detroit, and another near Gary, Ind.

    No, that can't be right. Red hats, maybe?

    ArbitraryDescriptor on
    Gnome-InterruptusHarry DresdenNobeardMild ConfusionJaysonFour
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Tariffs are not necessarily used to generate revenue but to protect a domestic industry.

    So how does the fact that China now buys it's soy beans elsewhere help the American farmer?

    Because Trump is paying them with money from... uhh shit. But see it helps because uhhh shit.

    China put tariffs on the soy beans, we weren't trying to protect those. Trump's tariffs were trying to protect... steel, I think?
    Since Trump’s 25 percent tariff on imported steel was implemented, U.S. Steel has shed roughly 70 percent of its market value — about $5.7 billion. Last month, the company announced it would halt production at two U.S. plants, one outside Detroit, and another near Gary, Ind.

    No, that can't be right. Red hats, maybe?

    There would be no tariff on soybeans if not for the tariff on Chinese steel so I'm effect, this far along, Trump has chosen for this to persist.

    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Tariffs are not necessarily used to generate revenue but to protect a domestic industry.

    Except when you put tariffs on primary inputs like steel and aluminum, which renders all of your manufacturing sector less competitive.

    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    monikerRchanenBlackDragon480FencingsaxElldrendispatch.oJaysonFourYoutube
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Tariffs are not necessarily used to generate revenue but to protect a domestic industry.

    Except when you put tariffs on primary inputs like steel and aluminum, which renders all of your manufacturing sector less competitive.

    That's not true! China is paying billions!

  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Tariffs are not necessarily used to generate revenue but to protect a domestic industry.

    Except when you put tariffs on primary inputs like steel and aluminum, which renders all of your manufacturing sector less competitive.

    Isn't this going to persist long term? Like even if the tarrifs were removed tomorrow, the negative effects will last due to supply chains being irrevocably changed, right?

    I'm not saying we are going to have an autocratic dystopia, but things keep happening that look like they come from an autocratic dystopia.
    SmrtnikBlackDragon480LovelyElldrenMaijinamuronever die
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Tariffs are not necessarily used to generate revenue but to protect a domestic industry.

    Yes, but I was just talking about Trumps rhetoric. He claims that they will and are making the US money "somehow". But because he's paid out so much money to farmers even IF the tariffs could make the US money, and they made the US as much money as he promised they would, he's already spent that much money and more just because of his tariffs. See?

    Artereis wrote: »
    It's not your fault, Viskod. 1 out of every 10 people just happens to be a monster.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Tariffs are not necessarily used to generate revenue but to protect a domestic industry.

    Yes, but I was just talking about Trumps rhetoric. He claims that they will and are making the US money "somehow". But because he's paid out so much money to farmers even IF the tariffs could make the US money, and they made the US as much money as he promised they would, he's already spent that much money and more just because of his tariffs. See?

    But he's WINNING! That's what's really important (to him and his followers) about deals like this, WINNING!

    (he is not actually winning, he is just lying / desperately pretending, as usual.)

    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    MorganVForarTicaldfjamYoutube
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://splinternews.com/israel-bars-omar-and-tlaib-from-entering-country-under-1837270676

    So the trump admin advocated for two us congress people to be barred from Israel and Israel complied. FREEDOM!

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    shrykeBlackDragon480dispatch.oMild ConfusionMorganVGnome-InterruptusmonikerFencingsaxIncenjucarJaysonFourSmrtnikKaputaNobeardMagellYoutube
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    https://splinternews.com/israel-bars-omar-and-tlaib-from-entering-country-under-1837270676

    So the trump admin advocated for two us congress people to be barred from Israel and Israel complied. FREEDOM!
    Senior Diplomatic correspondent, Channel 13 News:

    So yeah, this is kind of really messed up.

    SleepshrykeMorganVOghulkLovelymonikerFencingsaxCommander ZoomEmerlmaster999JaysonFourElldrenJohnny ChopsockyNobeardJoolanderMagellYoutube
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    https://splinternews.com/israel-bars-omar-and-tlaib-from-entering-country-under-1837270676

    So the trump admin advocated for two us congress people to be barred from Israel and Israel complied. FREEDOM!

    And Trump is blatantly labeling them anti-Semites, too.

    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Richland, WARegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    https://splinternews.com/israel-bars-omar-and-tlaib-from-entering-country-under-1837270676

    So the trump admin advocated for two us congress people to be barred from Israel and Israel complied. FREEDOM!

    And Trump is blatantly labeling them anti-Semites, too.

    I mean, projection is the classic Trump/conservative play. "We're not the racists, you're the actual racists."

    SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
    OrcaMild ConfusionGnome-InterruptuskimeFencingsaxEmerlmaster999ElldrenNobeardMrVyngaardYoutube
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    https://splinternews.com/israel-bars-omar-and-tlaib-from-entering-country-under-1837270676

    So the trump admin advocated for two us congress people to be barred from Israel and Israel complied. FREEDOM!

    And Trump is blatantly labeling them anti-Semites, too.

    I mean, projection is the classic Trump/conservative play. "We're not the racists, you're the actual racists."

    He said, and this is a quote: "They hate Israel & all Jewish people, & there is nothing that can be said or done to change their minds."

    You can't get more blatant than that.

    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    Stabbity StyleNobeard
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    Once you signal the only consequences will be election results the wheels come off on what they think they can do.

    XaquinCaptain InertiaCaedwyrGnome-InterruptusStabbity StyleFencingsaxCommander ZoomtynicSmrtnikNobeardMrVyngaardHappy Little Machine
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 15
    AP reporter:

    So Netanyahu is fine with criticism as long as it has no chance of harming the state at all?

    Couscous on
    shrykeDarkPrimusdispatch.oFANTOMASMild ConfusionTicaldfjamGnome-InterruptusOghulkmonikerStabbity StyleFencingsaxGaddezCommander ZoomTNTrooperIncenjucarJaysonFourtynicElldrenDee KaeNobeardMrVyngaardArdolMagellHappy Little Machine
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Once you signal the only consequences will be election results the wheels come off on what they think they can do.

    Yeah, cause god knows the Trump admin was acting like they couldn't just do whatever the fuck they wanted 2 years ago...

    Youtube
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So here we see how gutless the Dem leadership is. If Pelosi doesn't back her congress people and chooses to support israel fuck you that's a problem.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    BlackDragon480Styrofoam SammichmrpakuZonugalGnome-InterruptusGONG-00LovelykimeFencingsaxVeagleTNTrooperElldrenKraintSmrtnikDee KaeKarozKamarNobeardlonelyahavaMagellYoutube
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 15
    Preacher wrote: »
    So here we see how gutless the Dem leadership is. If Pelosi doesn't back her congress people and chooses to support israel fuck you that's a problem.

    After the "Send her back" thing she went to Africa with Omar in solidarity.

    EDIT: I think Warren was the first of the presidential candidates to respond

    enlightenedbum on
    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
    shrykePreacherBlackDragon480ZonugalGnome-InterruptusGONG-00FencingsaxCommander ZoomVeagleTNTrooperIncenjucarJaysonFourtynicElldrenDee KaeKamarRchanenTetraRayNobeardMillArdolMagellYoutubeHappy Little Machinenever die
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Rashida Tlaib has family that lives in the West Bank. So much for the myth of Palestinians living free of Israel control.

    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    DoodmannPreacherFANTOMASSleepTicaldfjamdispatch.oKadokenTynnanmrpakuGONG-00OghulkmonikerLovelyStabbity StyleFencingsaxCommander ZoomBlackDragon480EncTNTrooperIncenjucarJaysonFourtynicElldrenSmrtnikDee KaeJohnny ChopsockyKamarKetBraTetraRayNobeardMillMrVyngaardArdolMagellYoutubeHappy Little Machinenever die
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Nadler has also said it's bullshit and he's probably the most powerful Jewish person in the party.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
    PreachermonikerFencingsaxCommander ZoomBlackDragon480TNTrooperJaysonFourElldrenKamarNobeardMillMrVyngaardnever die
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Nadler has also said it's bullshit and he's probably the most powerful Jewish person in the party.

    This line makes Chuck Schumer sad.

    Because it's true.

    XaquinGnome-InterruptusOghulkdispatch.omonikerLovelyForarStabbity StyleFencingsaxCommander ZoomBlackDragon480AegisMilljmcdonaldJaysonFourElldrenKamarTetraRayNobeardMrVyngaardArdolJoolanderYoutube
  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular


    Ben Pershing is the politics editor for WSJ, so this must be true and is probably pretty well sourced.

    But, it can’t be real, the world doesn’t work that way anymore. Does it?

    shrykeMagellYoutube
Sign In or Register to comment.