As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] A Generation of War

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Pretty standard rhetoric honestly. "Let's just glass them" is a thing that people have said about many nations or regions over the years. Including Afghanistan on no shortage of occasions. Like always, he's just saying the quiet part loud. "It doesn’t concern me because many people agree with me"

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    What did Afghanistan do?

He doesn't realize we're not actually at war with the nation.

I believe he's meeting with the head of Pakistan today who was demanding some kind of response to the amount of lives and money pakistan has lost in aiding the US in afganistan.

Pakistan is our frienenemy

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    It is a novel rhetorical strategy for a President to suggest glassing a country designated as an ally by the State department.

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tumin wrote: »
    It is a novel rhetorical strategy for a President to suggest glassing a country designated as an ally by the State department.

I'm sort of glad he wasn't in a situation where he had to come up with an example country, because you know it would have been Canada or Ukraine or something.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Trump also claimed that Modi asked him to mediate between India and Pakistan with regards to Kashmir, followed quickly by a statement from India which was like no we have not changed our 70 year old policy you fucking nitwit.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    There is a reason the war on terror is referred to as a labyrinth. As who knows how to get out of it and navigate the plan?

This is actually a bad analogy since true labyrinths are impossible to get lost in.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    The Soviets tried to defeat the Mujahideen by cutting loose with nerve gas and carpet bombing and it didn't work

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    What did Afghanistan do?

I believe he's meeting with the head of Pakistan today who was demanding some kind of response to the amount of lives and money pakistan has lost in aiding the US in afganistan.

He means he wants to be reimbursed for all the Pakistani mortar shells that explode inside ANDSF bases?

• Options
    The Soviets tried to defeat the Mujahideen by cutting loose with nerve gas and carpet bombing and it didn't work

When I was in Afghanistan the amount of mines, poisoned water and leftover bombs was amazing and yet surreal

Gaddez wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    There is a reason the war on terror is referred to as a labyrinth. As who knows how to get out of it and navigate the plan?

This is actually a bad analogy since true labyrinths are impossible to get lost in.

We walked into it with a plan and need another to get out but what is the plan?

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Trump also claimed that Modi asked him to mediate between India and Pakistan with regards to Kashmir, followed quickly by a statement from India which was like no we have not changed our 70 year old policy you fucking nitwit.

Having Trump call up the head of Pakistan and jabber inanities about Kashmir would be one hell of a prank.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Having Trump call up the head of Pakistan and jabber inanities about Kashmir would be one hell of a prank.

Particularly because he'd probably be talking about how fabulous cashmere fabric is.

• Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

He said this with Pakistan's prime minister right next to him.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    It's just non-stop bullshitting

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    What did Afghanistan do?

My guess? He thinks they are Iran.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    What did Afghanistan do?

My guess? He thinks they are Iran.

They do share a border

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    The President is now bashing Sweden for their terrible crime problem and doing his usual "We're so nice but they aren't nice to us back" schtick.

I'm fairly certain he can only remember A$AP Rocky because there's a dollar sign in the name.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    The President is now bashing Sweden for their terrible crime problem and doing his usual "We're so nice but they aren't nice to us back" schtick.

I'm fairly certain he can only remember A$AP Rocky because there's a dollar sign in the name.

Not to counter him with facts or anything, but Sweden averages about 100 murders a year nationwide, for example. There are a bunch of cities in the US with more than that. (Sweden has about 10 million citizens, so that's not the issue)

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    He is now "very disappointed" that our PM did not commit crimes on his behalf.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

That’s the problem with the Swiss, they never stay neutral on anything.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

About 2000km off the mark there

I only made this post cause I didn't learn where Switzerland was until I played eu4 and totally thought it was Sweden as well and thought the Swedes where Swiss oops

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

Not to counter him with facts or anything, but Sweden averages about 100 murders a year nationwide, for example. There are a bunch of cities in the US with more than that. (Sweden has about 10 million citizens, so that's not the issue)

Probably saw one of those charts that completely misrepresents how their laws work to imply refugees caused a rape epidemic

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    What did Afghanistan do?

To be fair, it is pretty hard to tell what with all the dead Afghans.

• Options
    I c

I only made this post cause I didn't learn where Switzerland was until I played eu4 and totally thought it was Sweden as well and thought the Swedes where Swiss oops

Crap.

Sorry everybody.

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Edit - misread, ignore me

Kaputa on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

He feels that way about most people

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I c

Crap.

Sorry everybody.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

Trump probably wouldn't know the difference.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    That is the backhandest damning with faint praise I have ever seen.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

That is incredibly low.

For comparison, California's homicide rate is roughly 4 times that (1600 homicides and a population of 40 million, ballparking).

I mean, it might not be low compared to other western nations, but in the US violent crime is our national pastime, soooo.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

That is incredibly low.

For comparison, California's homicide rate is roughly 4 times that (1600 homicides and a population of 40 million, ballparking).

I mean, it might not be low compared to other western nations, but in the US violent crime is our national pastime, soooo.

It's comparable to the rest of Europe. Not even at the low end actually.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

That is incredibly low.

The US motto: "when we get bored, we're going to kill something."

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

That is incredibly low.

New York had 278 homicides last year, and is about twice the size of Sweden. It's also literally a single city, and there are variances between urban/ suburban /rural areas for violent crime. It's also at the lowest homicide rate in generations. So at it's best a New Yorker is still nearly 3x as likely to get shot. Things are worse elsewhere

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »

That is incredibly low.

The US motto: "when we get bored, we're going to kill something."

Not exactly.

It's more the fact that when we get bored there are 400 million civilian firearms around.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I c

Crap.

Sorry everybody.

I thought it was an intentional joke, actually, because Trump doesn't know shit about international affairs, and I thought Cow was being a buzzkill.

• Options
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    I c

Crap.

Sorry everybody.

I thought it was an intentional joke, actually, because Trump doesn't know shit about international affairs, and I thought Cow was being a buzzkill.

A little of both.

I started with an IKEA/Tariffs joke and then talked myself into a Swiss/Neutrality joke and forgot what we were actually talking about and now I feel like the reporter from Die Hard.

Anyway... Foreign Policy continues on apace!

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The Atlantic released some recordings of a racist rant between President Reagan and Nixon that shows how much racism openly influenced foreign policy.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/07/ronald-reagans-racist-conversation-richard-nixon/595102/
    Nixon’s anger at the UN delegations from African nations for the loss was misplaced. His own State Department blamed factors other than African voting, including maneuvering by the British and French behind the scenes, for the loss. But Nixon would have none of it. The Africans were to blame.

Had the story stopped there, it would have been bad enough. Racist venting is still racist. But what happened next showed the dynamic power of racism when it finds enablers. Nixon used Reagan’s call as an excuse to adapt his language to make the same point to others. Right after hanging up with Reagan, Nixon sought out Secretary of State William Rogers.

Even though Reagan had called Nixon to press him to withdraw from the United Nations, in Nixon’s telling, Reagan’s complaints about Africans became the primary purpose of the call.

“As you can imagine,” Nixon confided in Rogers, “there’s strong feeling that we just shouldn’t, as [Reagan] said, he saw these, as he said, he saw these—” Nixon stammered, choosing his words carefully—“these, uh, these cannibals on television last night, and he says, ‘Christ, they weren’t even wearing shoes, and here the United States is going to submit its fate to that,’ and so forth and so on.”
    “Reagan called me last night,” Nixon said, “and I didn’t talk to him until this morning, but he is, of course, outraged. And I found out what outraged him, and I find this is typical of a lot of people: They saw it on television and, he said, ‘These cannibals jumping up and down and all that.’ And apparently it was a pretty grotesque picture.” Like Nixon, Rogers had not seen the televised images. But Rogers agreed: “Apparently, it was a terrible scene.” Nixon added, “And they cheered.”

Then Nixon said, “He practically got sick at his stomach, and that’s why he called. And he said, ‘It was a terrible scene.’ And that sort of thing will have an emotional effect on people … as [Reagan] said, ‘This bunch of people who don’t even wear shoes yet, to be kicking the United States in the teeth’ … It was a terrible thing, they thought.”
    Nixon never changed his mind about the supposed inherent inferiority of Africans. At the end of October 1971, he discussed the UN vote with his best friend, Bebe Rebozo. Bebe delighted Nixon by echoing Reagan: “That reaction on television was, it proves how they ought to be still hanging from the trees by their tails.” Nixon laughed.

The focus on how bad the USA looked and how dirty and gross those foreigners were rather than any real substance is extremely Trumpian.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The commentary at LGM is that the big difference between then and now is now they're saying it openly.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    The President seems to have forgotten that he stormed out of his last summit with North Korea with nothing accomplished.

NBC News: President Trump says he has "no problem" with North Korea's recent missile launches: "Short-range missiles, we never made an agreement on that."

YOU DIDNT MAKE AN AGREEMENT WITH THEM FOR ANYTHING!

Viskod on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    The Atlantic released some recordings of a racist rant between President Reagan and Nixon that shows how much racism openly influenced foreign policy.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/07/ronald-reagans-racist-conversation-richard-nixon/595102/
    Nixon’s anger at the UN delegations from African nations for the loss was misplaced. His own State Department blamed factors other than African voting, including maneuvering by the British and French behind the scenes, for the loss. But Nixon would have none of it. The Africans were to blame.

Had the story stopped there, it would have been bad enough. Racist venting is still racist. But what happened next showed the dynamic power of racism when it finds enablers. Nixon used Reagan’s call as an excuse to adapt his language to make the same point to others. Right after hanging up with Reagan, Nixon sought out Secretary of State William Rogers.

Even though Reagan had called Nixon to press him to withdraw from the United Nations, in Nixon’s telling, Reagan’s complaints about Africans became the primary purpose of the call.

“As you can imagine,” Nixon confided in Rogers, “there’s strong feeling that we just shouldn’t, as [Reagan] said, he saw these, as he said, he saw these—” Nixon stammered, choosing his words carefully—“these, uh, these cannibals on television last night, and he says, ‘Christ, they weren’t even wearing shoes, and here the United States is going to submit its fate to that,’ and so forth and so on.”
    “Reagan called me last night,” Nixon said, “and I didn’t talk to him until this morning, but he is, of course, outraged. And I found out what outraged him, and I find this is typical of a lot of people: They saw it on television and, he said, ‘These cannibals jumping up and down and all that.’ And apparently it was a pretty grotesque picture.” Like Nixon, Rogers had not seen the televised images. But Rogers agreed: “Apparently, it was a terrible scene.” Nixon added, “And they cheered.”

Then Nixon said, “He practically got sick at his stomach, and that’s why he called. And he said, ‘It was a terrible scene.’ And that sort of thing will have an emotional effect on people … as [Reagan] said, ‘This bunch of people who don’t even wear shoes yet, to be kicking the United States in the teeth’ … It was a terrible thing, they thought.”
    Nixon never changed his mind about the supposed inherent inferiority of Africans. At the end of October 1971, he discussed the UN vote with his best friend, Bebe Rebozo. Bebe delighted Nixon by echoing Reagan: “That reaction on television was, it proves how they ought to be still hanging from the trees by their tails.” Nixon laughed.

The focus on how bad the USA looked and how dirty and gross those foreigners were rather than any real substance is extremely Trumpian.

Truly Trump is the new Reagan.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Lol our regional allies sure are feeling good about now eh?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Lol our regional allies sure are feeling good about now eh?

I'm sure they expected an uphill battle with Trump, but I don't think they expected "uphill" to mean a vertical cliff-face

This discussion has been closed.