Options

Let Us Discuss: Simple Pleasures of Life

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Parking perfectly straight in a spot without correcting.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    After a long flight you take off your shoes, find the thickest carpet you can find and make fists with your toes.

Be sure to put your shoes back on quickly though, just in case of terrorist attack resulting in shattered glass all over the floor.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I went for a short walk the other day because it was almost 40f outside.

Today it is going to be above that so I might go again but my legs are still sore?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Shower beer

• Options
    Anyone know any good resources for me to learn Meditation for mindfulness and keeping a journal?

Preferably short easy to digest resources?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    The Headspace app is a good intro to meditation

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We just got back from Vegas and I would say the sun. We've had a brutal winter in Maine so to have a few days where I could actually feel that warmth was absolutely amazing.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Taking a walk at 3 in the morning, when no one else are around.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Uriel wrote: »
    I went for a short walk the other day because it was almost 40f outside.

Today it is going to be above that so I might go again but my legs are still sore?

As long as the soreness is just soreness and not acute pain go ahead and work through it. The soreness is just probably DOMS. Walking will help stretch everything else and will more than likely make you feel better.

That is actually a simple pleasure of mine. Having that soreness and knowing I had a good workout, then doing something the next day that loosens me up and that soreness goes away.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My buddy and I set up an old camcorder on our bale one time and went out to about 125 yards and shot in. It was super cool watching the video. You'd see us release, then a second or so later you'd see the arrow appear in frame with that satisfying thunk.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    That would be cool, I want to find a place and try some long range shots

I rarely shoot further than 15 yards

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular

We need a separate reaction button for when a post is extremely on-brand.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Oh shit it's Commonwealth Day here, and I haven't baked a cake.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    You know I just want to say how much I appreciate living in modern times re. music specifically

Not only am I able to play any song that gets stuck in my head at the press of a button, but I can do so these days pretty much wherever, whenever, and I can wear headphones to save irritating anyone else with my choice of music

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

You guys have a Commonwealth day??!? What happens, laments to lost empire?

It's labor day back in my home state, and I'm at work. I should have taken a day off as a cultural event.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »

It's labor day back in my home state, and I'm at work. I should have taken a day off as a cultural event.

I have no idea. I've never heard of it before. Apparently the Queen goes to church and then broadcasts a message to all of the commonwealth. And it replaced a previous holiday called Empire Day. Because lol, Britain is terrible.

• Options

I have no idea. I've never heard of it before. Apparently the Queen goes to church and then broadcasts a message to all of the commonwealth. And it replaced a previous holiday called Empire Day. Because lol, Britain is terrible.

Apparently it's been going on since the 70s, but most of the info I can find about it is from the UK, which claims there are "massive celebrations across 53 Commonwealth nations". But I don't remember it ever being a thing in Australia.

Do ... do you think we just tell Britain "sure, you go ahead, we're listening!" and then pop off and make tea or something?

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I’ve never heard of Commonwealth Day or Empire Day!

• Options

Apparently it's been going on since the 70s, but most of the info I can find about it is from the UK, which claims there are "massive celebrations across 53 Commonwealth nations". But I don't remember it ever being a thing in Australia.

Do ... do you think we just tell Britain "sure, you go ahead, we're listening!" and then pop off and make tea or something?

I mean, that's what I would do

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    One that I recognized because it's getting hot again. Doing a bunch of yardwork, sweating your ass off, and getting that first blast of air conditioning when you come inside. Sitting in the ac with a glass of ice water was like heaven.

e: Also, a nice shower and changing into comfy clothes(which I just did) after said yardwork. Might take an afternoon nap.

Kaplar on
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I remember the Commonwealth Games as being a thing, but looking it up the dates of the games has nothing to do with commonwealth day. I can't say I've ever known about that event or that the queen gave a speech on such a day.
    Commonwealth Day
    In 1973 the National Council in Canada of the Royal Commonwealth Society in a letter to Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau suggested that the idea of Commonwealth Day to be observed simultaneously throughout the Commonwealth be included on the agenda for the Heads of Government Meeting to be held in Ottawa that year. The proposal was not included in the agenda of that meeting but did appear as a Canadian item on the agenda of the 1975 meeting.

At that time the heads of Government agreed that the Commonwealth Secretariat be asked to select a date for such an observance that would not have any untoward historical connotations. At the meeting of senior officials in Canberra in May 1976, the Canadian proposal that the second Monday in March be set as Commonwealth Day was adopted.

Until 1977 it was the practice in Canada to observe Commonwealth Day on an ad hoc basis in conjunction with Victoria Day (a statutory holiday), also by proclamation the Queen's Birthday.

The celebration of Commonwealth Day entails no uniform manner of observance of Commonwealth Day upon member countries, it being left to each country to mark that day as it considers suitable. In Canada, the Royal Union flag, also known as the "Union Jack" where physical arrangements allow, is flown along with the National Flag at federal buildings, airports, military bases and other federal buildings and establishments within Canada, from sunrise to sunset, to mark this day.

Physical arrangements means the existence of at least two flag poles; the Canadian flag always takes precedence and is never replaced by the Union Jack. Where only one pole exists, no special steps should be taken to erect an additional pole to fly the Union Jack for this special day.

It is not a statutory holiday; rather it is a day of observance by close to one billion persons of their common bonds and the contribution of the Commonwealth of Nations to the creation of a harmonious global environment.

Sounds like Canada hasn't given a much of a shit about the day since 1977, literally a year after it was introduced as its own thing.

Final edit: My parents get me a calendar every year at christmas, it's pretty outdated tech but it's nice to have I think
    On the second monday in march - the only event listed is Canberra Day (Australia). No Commonwealth day. This calendar even has Respect for the Aged Day (Japan) on it, but no Commonwealth day.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    It would be hilarious if it's something the government does just to placate the Crown, like, there's all this set up and whatnot, and the only person that sees it is Liz.

sig.gif
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    The first scoop out of a new jar of peanutbutter.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    on a ritz cracker

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    When I shoot my bow, especially the release of the arrow if I have the proper form and the proper back tension, and my release hand just sort of floats backwards when I let go of the arrow

Looking for that feeling is a big reason I shoot

The target is internal, I guess

/Examines Avatar and post

Yup, checks out.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Coffee.
    yqyud6j30iog.jpg

• Options
    The more I read this thread the more I wonder what qualifies as a complicated pleasure.

• Options
    The more I read this thread the more I wonder what qualifies as a complicated pleasure.

Hrm. Humm.

Linux shell scripts.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

When you spent three whole days pulling the motor out of an FH16, tearing it completely apart, overhauling/replacing every component of the engine, reinstalling it, prepping it for service, and it fires right up and idles buttery smooth first turn of the key.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    simple pleasure: the click of a well-made box
    complex pleasure: building that box

galaxy brain pleasure: having sex with the box

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

For me, when I was playing hockey: seeing the play develop, getting a good push off my back foot, sliding over and seeing the puck into my glove and feeling the slap of the leather as it closes and hearing the agonized groan of the opponent who thought they were going to score, and getting slapped on the pads by grateful teammates.

For others, maybe, doing well in an activity that has some complication to it.

chromdom on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    God, I miss hockey.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Running a gaming session which leaves people satisfied and where the conclusion feels like it stemmed from the action and choices of the players

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

jerkin' it with your foot

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Jerking what with your foot?

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the clown movie

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Which clown movie?