Options

WHAT IS THE BEST CHEESE TO USE WHEN CRAFTING A GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Gouda
    Grilled cheese with gouda and colby hack, with thin sliced tomatoes, some spinach and bacon if I'm feeling fancy.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    American
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Grilled cheese with gouda and colby hack, with thin sliced tomatoes, some spinach and bacon if I'm feeling fancy.

Im a grilled cheese purist and
    that's a bacon sandwich. It's a BLT with cheese.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    The grilled cheese also needs a small bowl of tomato soup to dip it in

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    American
    I already picked American, but quick question

What does Velveeta count as? American, or Something Else?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    The Cheese From Outer Space

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    American
    The Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product From Outer Space

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    Pepper jack, but I do love slices of processed American cheese. Also grill the bread with mayo instead of butter or oil, comes out crispier (and tastier).

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    “Something Else” because I’ve eaten half of the sandwiches from Melt and it changed my perspective on what grilled cheese can be.

https://meltbarandgrilled.com/menu/melt-menu/ (scroll past the apps and salads to the real stuff)

I mean, why dip a grilled cheese in tomato soup when you can build the tomato soup into the sandwich

Also why not put some damn fried Mac and cheese in there with your cheese?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    That Which Should Not Be [Cheese]

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Havarti
    Absolutely use mayo on the outside. That shouldn't even be a question

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    When you start adding more than just cheese, it is no longer a grilled cheese.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I just jam the cheapest pre-grated cheese into folded over slices of white bread, and cram as many as I can fit onto the george forman grill, and wait until the bread is brown.

If I want to get fancy with food, grilled cheese is not my go to. Grilled cheese is for when I need something hot in my face right the hell now, usually at 3am.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Butter on the outside. Every time.

Based on what I have in my fridge at the moment, my favorite grilled cheese would consist of mozzarella and mixed Mexican cheeses.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    The best is to use multiple cheeses. I prefer cheddar and provolone, ideally with mozzarella as well for extra meltiness, but if I have colby that's hard to pass up.

Also provel is super tasty.

Oh man a pork roll melt with provel would be so neat.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SOME OTHER KIND
    Also I believe it's acceptable to call it a "grilled cheese and ..." If you're adding one other significant ingredient (like a meat), but anything more than that and you should call it a "... melt" as that feels more accurate.

Grilled BLT is maybe an exception since that probably conveys what it is better, but if you're putting, like, pepperoni and a bit of sauce on it, that should be called a pizza melt.

Although maybe I just like calling them pepperoni melts instead of grilled cheese and pepperoni because it feels fancier to me

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Havarti
    “Something Else” because I’ve eaten half of the sandwiches from Melt and it changed my perspective on what grilled cheese can be.

https://meltbarandgrilled.com/menu/melt-menu/ (scroll past the apps and salads to the real stuff)

I mean, why dip a grilled cheese in tomato soup when you can build the tomato soup into the sandwich

Also why not put some damn fried Mac and cheese in there with your cheese?

My opinion of Cleveland goes up a notch

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Whatever is in the fridge.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Gruyere
    Ideally a mix, but gruyere is an excellent base for any melty cheese situation. Works a charm in mac and cheese too.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    American
    Straight American cheese is the best for that perfect melty, creamy texture. A good quality American cut at the deli counter is really the best, as it has a somewhat more complex flavor vs the cheap American singles in the refrigerated aisles but melts the same.

Also American cheese is literally a blend of cheeses with an emulsifier to ensure they blend into a cohesive cheese unit. It's its own blend!

Conversely the absolute worst thing for a grilled cheese are imitation American singles. That's the really horror show.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    Muenster cheddar combo on a couple of slices with a nice crust and lots of butter

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I mean if you're serious, using just one cheese is already walking down the wrong path

I use one salty/tart variety (often a goat, sometimes a comte), at least one nuttier, sweeter version (maybe gouda), and then mozzarella or a similar low-flavour, high-melt variety.
    Anything less than three cheeses is limiting yourself unnecessarily.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I did try mayo on the outside once, even though I don't like mayo. It was fine, but really didn't cook the way I liked at all. I'm sure I would have to change my technique to better deal with it, but it's easier to just stick with butter, which is already good.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Cheddar
    Government cheese.

Cheddar and pepper jack are my usual favorites though.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Cheddar
    I mean, the most true grilled cheese is white Wonder bread and American cheese

But the best one would be grated cheddar - as old and sharp as possible - with mozzarella or something else melty and stringy on sourdough

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    An asiago works as part of the base

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Cheddar
    If I'm going for a grilled cheese using cheap singles, I use whatever Kroger's 'three cheese blend' is (colby, cheddar, monterey jack, emulfiers and fillers, apparently, so it's American cheese but not nearly as shitty as most cheap American cheeses?).

If I'm investing more than zero effort, I want big chunks of sharp cheddar melted into crispy pockets of oily goo on a sandwich maker, something akin to this.

915ssvdKSPL._SX425_.jpg

Kamar on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    American
    I mean, traditionally you dunk the cheese into a bowl of tomato soup so I guess ketchup is in the same sort of general direction
    Egg drop soup also works.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    different cheeses for different moods

always be trying new stuff

also i like putting all sorts of stuff toasted sandwiches because pickles are fantastic, and i hate prescripivism

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    Smoked cheddar, with a layer of mustard

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    i once had some leftover cooked steak that i cut very thing and put in the sandwich and hoooooooo baby that was amazing

• Options
    SOME OTHER KIND
    Also in my experience Sargento cheeses do not like to melt nearly as well as Kraft or even store brand.

Never tried deli counter cheese.

• Options
    Cheddar
    Listen, you can put what you want on your sandwich, but a grilled cheese is just cheese. If you add other stuff it's a melt. Words have meanings!

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    Listen, you can put what you want on your sandwich, but a grilled cheese is just cheese. If you add other stuff it's a melt. Words have meanings!

toasted cheese sandwich

• Options
    untainted by the dogma of prescriptivism

• Options
    SOME OTHER KIND
    Kamar wrote: »

Words mean things, yes, but the whole point of words is to communicate ideas so if "grilled cheese and steak" better explains what lalabox made I'm not gonna gripe that it's technically a steak melt

Especially since it's clearly a cheesesteak anyway

• Options
    Cheddar
    You say descriptivism. I say Sandwich Heresy.

• Options
    SOME OTHER KIND
    "Well, actually, it should be called a griddled cheese because you didn't grill it."

• Options
    i thought a cheesesteak is supposed to be where you cook the steak after you slice it up with some vegies, not a cooked steak that's been put into a toasted cheese sandwich

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    For myself it is white bread with kraft slices using butter on the bread and a bunch of ketchup to dip the portions in. When I make one for my wife she prefers sourdough with mayo on the outside, some pepper jack flavored veggie cheese, and Havarti with slices of dill pickle between the cheeses.

• Options
    i like to get one ingredient that's sweet and acidic, and that can be a bbq sauce or a relish of some sort, or a sweetish pickle or something