Options

WHAT IS THE BEST CHEESE TO USE WHEN CRAFTING A GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    When you start adding more than just cheese, it is no longer a grilled cheese.

THE CHEESE IS STILL BEING GRILLED.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Well no the cheese is never grilled. Alton Brown has a whole thing about this

https://youtu.be/RllWJUvrxEY

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Whatever cheese you end up using, a hearty sourdough is by far the best bread

Speaking of which... I do have some nice cheddar and some seeded sourdough.... Mmmmm

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Whatever, nerdo.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Cheddar
    pizza is grilled cheese

• Options
    My life hack when making a grilled cheese is to microwave it for thirty seconds to get the middle of it a bit warm before it goes on the pan.

• Options
    Cheddar
    I just cover it with a pot lid for a bit before flipping it, to trap the heat for a bit.

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I just cover it with a pot lid for a bit before flipping it, to trap the heat for a bit.

Same. First half covered, second half uncovered to avoid moisture. Works every time.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I do mine in a cast iron pan and throw it in the oven for a bit at the end

• Options
    Cheddar
    Yeah, that's a good way too. Plus if you throw it in the oven, you get those amazing bits of crispy cheese

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I had a standing order at a dinner that was a grilled cheese with five types of cheese, a fried egg and two slices of extra crispy bacon

Hell of a sandwich

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Never been a fan of Kraft Singles as they never seem to melt right. Kraft deli is basically the same idea except way better texture and the slices aren't individually wrapped, which seems better both environmentally and in terms of convenience, who wants to unwrap every goddamn slice of cheese??

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Never been a fan of Kraft Singles as they never seem to melt right. Kraft deli is basically the same idea except way better texture and the slices aren't individually wrapped, which seems better both environmentally and in terms of convenience, who wants to unwrap every goddamn slice of cheese??

From Wikipedia
    Kraft Singles is a processed cheese product manufactured and sold by Kraft Foods, introduced in 1949. Kraft individually wrapped "slices" are not really slices off a block, but formed separately in manufacturing

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    Grilled cheese is what Velveeta is for. Toss so.e pepperoni in there if feeling fancy.

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Havarti
    I do love Velveeta...

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Fun fact the wrapper and the cheese of a Kraft single are printed from the same base material

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    Lalabox wrote: »
    i thought a cheesesteak is supposed to be where you cook the steak after you slice it up with some vegies, not a cooked steak that's been put into a toasted cheese sandwich

That's kind of my point! From a purely descriptive angle, a sandwich with cheese and steak would most literally be a cheesesteak sandwich. But! That conveys an idea to most people that is different from what you're making, so "grilled cheese and steak" is fine to me.
    Whatever cheese you end up using, a hearty sourdough is by far the best bread

Speaking of which... I do have some nice cheddar and some seeded sourdough.... Mmmmm

Sourdough is good but I'm a huge fan of italian myself. That's our staple bread

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Havarti
    Is a grilled cheese a hot dog?

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Usually a mix of shredded colby and mozz, as that’s what we keep around for the kids.

Butter goes into the pan, melts, sandwich follows. If I’m feeling fancy, when I flip and add more butter I’ll toss a bunch of shredded in to give one side a crispy layer of cheese.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Sure, call anything whatever you want. If you understand then it's fine.

But if I hear I'm getting a grilled cheese and then a sandwich shows up with ham in it I'll be confused.

I'll still eat it of course.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    I mean I think fried mac and cheese should count as a cheese

• Options
    Havarti
    I mean I think fried mac and cheese should count as a cheese

YOU'RE CALLING IT GRILLED CHEESE

DESPITE THE FACT THAT'S ITS OBVIOUSLY FRIED

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    Things getting heated in the grilled cheese fandom

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Havarti
    Cheddar or a nice creamy Harvarti

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND

He's wrong

It's a cheese sandwich that is grilled

Oh by the way, here's my lunch I'm eating riiiiiiiighhhhhtttttt now

rzw531bobj9p.jpg

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    i thought a cheesesteak is supposed to be where you cook the steak after you slice it up with some vegies, not a cooked steak that's been put into a toasted cheese sandwich

That's kind of my point! From a purely descriptive angle, a sandwich with cheese and steak would most literally be a cheesesteak sandwich. But! That conveys an idea to most people that is different from what you're making, so "grilled cheese and steak" is fine to me.

Literally be a cheese steak sandwich

Cheesesteak doesn't refer to just cheese and steak. It's some philadelphia thing.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Cheddar

Alton Brown has a thing about everything.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Havarti
    I like Alton Brown a lot but he can be an insufferable pedant about some things.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    His hot ones interview turned me off him with realizing nothing about his persona seems to be played up.
    Especially his "I was so offended at what other people were putting in their shopping carts at a grocery store that I just up and left"

• Options
    Havarti
    Psykoma wrote: »
    His hot ones interview turned me off him with realizing nothing about his persona seems to be played up.
    Especially his "I was so offended at what other people were putting in their shopping carts at a grocery store that I just up and left"

This doesn't surprise me at all.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    American

This doesn't surprise me at all.

I used to be all about Alton Brown, then I discovered J. Kenji Lopez Alt - a food nerd without the asshole undercurrent.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    My favourite food nerd atm is Samin Nosrat of Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat.

I haven't seen as much of her show, but her book is literally one of tge best things i own, and is presented as way more of a series of lectures and lessons ratger than her show which was a bit more travel focused.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    My favourite cooking people lately is sortedfood, Ben is pretty nerdy but doesn't usually apply it to their cooking.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    American
    Beer

Cheese

Beercheese

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Havarti
    Cheese

Beer

Cheesbeer

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    You've all gone mad.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Cheddar
    My favourite food nerd atm is Samin Nosrat of Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat.

I haven't seen as much of her show, but her book is literally one of tge best things i own, and is presented as way more of a series of lectures and lessons ratger than her show which was a bit more travel focused.

I've used some of her recipes

she's got a recipe for focaccia bread that isn't in the book, but it's on her blog, and it's amazing, and super easy

I'm excited to make her corn soup this summer

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    American
    My favourite cooking people lately is sortedfood, Ben is pretty nerdy but doesn't usually apply it to their cooking.

i didnt think literally anyone else knew who sortedfood was

Barry is the pretentious one but they razz him for it constantly so its fine

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I like Alton Brown a lot but he can be an insufferable pedant about some things.

Yeah, I agree

He would fit right in here

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Basically anything from here. https://www.thebigcheezy.com

The crawgator(alligator and crawfish sausage with cheddar, pepperjack, caramelized onions, and grilled peppers) on sourdough, while being a melt, is still my favorite. Their signature sandwich is a triple decker with gouda, mozzarella, cheddar, swiss, monterey jack, and parmesan. Wife's favorite is the mac n' cheezy. Four cheese bacon mac and cheese with cheddar.

Pretty reasonably priced place too. <$8 bucks for each of our sandwiches.

e: Sample picture of my wife's sandwich. For sticklers on the toastedness of their bread, this place does it right.

fBTxRMq.jpg

Kaplar on