As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WHAT IS THE BEST CHEESE TO USE WHEN CRAFTING A GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    The bad food thread sends it's regards.
    jgeis wrote: »
    From the depths of the internet:

lqwkwc68f6qx.jpg

Now, put that on your cheese sandwich and grill it.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Gruyere
    I love all grilled cheeses. Even if you use garbage ingredients, it's still a grilled cheese.

But my favorite?

Gruyere base, mixed with a bit of asiago (alt: bleu) and Irish cheddar, on strong sourdough. Butter on the outside (also Irish), Dijon mustard on the inside, with dill pickles and a bit of onion. Optionally dip in a quality tomato bisque.

I'll have that over a cheese pizza any day.

(Target at least used to sell a very affordable Gruyere, especially when mixed with the above)

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    The bad food thread sends it's regards.
    jgeis wrote: »
    From the depths of the internet:

lqwkwc68f6qx.jpg

Now, put that on your cheese sandwich and grill it.

At a quick glance, I thought those were pickles with cheez whiz.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Cheddar
    My preferred grilled cheese these days is actually basically a caprese sandwich. Mozzarella, tomato, and some kind of basil spread or pesto.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Havarti
    I love Spam.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    I'm a muenster cheese guy myself

Never done me wrong in the past

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    There's a pretty decent restaurant sort of nearby, the Wheel, in Pottsville, Pennsylvania. They have lots of ingredients to choose for your grilled sandwich.

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    I love Spam.

And Reese’s.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Weird combo, but ok

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Cheddar
    here is what I put on my grilled cheese:

cheddar, grated
    a dab of brown or deli mustard
    a few grinds of black pepper
    about a half teaspoon of dill relish

it's a very near thing to one of my other favorite sandwiches to make at home:

toasted bread
    mayo
    cheddar, sliced
    dill pickle, 2 slices
    sweet hot mustard

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Weird combo, but ok

3f4f799e-75b9-48eb-bcdc-fc9613e38468_screenshot.jpg

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    Head cheese

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    British English ‘to grill’ = US English ‘to broil’, which is how I always had grilled cheese (in the oven under the grill/broiler) until I moved to the US. It is a lot less greasy. But also I didn’t know dipping grilled cheese into a tomato soup was a thing until I moved to the US, and I do think the greasier kind of grilled cheese is better for dunking.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    SOME OTHER KIND
    American tends to melt best when I make it for myself. But going out, I love the fancy ones with the different cheeses and cheddar. I wish I could make a cheddar grilled cheese without it being a greasy mess

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Gruyere
    If I could eat an infinite cheese sandwich that just had an infinite variety of cheeses I would pursue that option. Every single one of them brings me joy.

The pleasure of having many options and mixtures is the true pleasure of cheese

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Cheddar
    I'll go for a nice shard cheddar any day, but basically anything will do in a pinch

Also using mayo instead of butter initially sounded like a good way to ruin some bread and cheese, but I was converted instantly upon trying it

Maddoc on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    A shredded blend of something that melts real good and something that tastes real good.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »
    My favourite food nerd atm is Samin Nosrat of Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat.

I haven't seen as much of her show, but her book is literally one of tge best things i own, and is presented as way more of a series of lectures and lessons ratger than her show which was a bit more travel focused.

I've used some of her recipes

she's got a recipe for focaccia bread that isn't in the book, but it's on her blog, and it's amazing, and super easy

I'm excited to make her corn soup this summer

The corn soup is great. Benefits from adding a bit of other stock in, like some vegie stock, but if you can serve it w. a dollop of sour cream it is divine

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Psykoma wrote: »
    My favourite cooking people lately is sortedfood, Ben is pretty nerdy but doesn't usually apply it to their cooking.

i didnt think literally anyone else knew who sortedfood was

Barry is the pretentious one but they razz him for it constantly so its fine

They're awesome, and it's genuinely surprising that for people who just were friends from school, they all balance each other out so perfectly. Baz is artistic, Jamie is a meat man, Ben is the technical expertise, and Mike is everything the other guys aren't.

I used to really dislike Jamie because I thought he was elitist and annoying because all his dishes were like massively huge into spiciness, but he's grown on me as it seems like he's found balance in his tastes.
    Mike's probably my favourite of the normals.
    James is also a great addition. A+ chef.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    American
    My favourite cooking people lately is sortedfood, Ben is pretty nerdy but doesn't usually apply it to their cooking.

They're awesome, and it's genuinely surprising that for people who just were friends from school, they all balance each other out so perfectly. Baz is artistic, Jamie is a meat man, Ben is the technical expertise, and Mike is everything the other guys aren't.

I used to really dislike Jamie because I thought he was elitist and annoying because all his dishes were like massively huge into spiciness, but he's grown on me as it seems like he's found balance in his tastes.

Jamie is my favorite, he has a very similar sense of humor to me which works really well

I love james because hes chefy but will call ben out when hes being a huge dork

theyre SUCH a fun crew, ive been completely binging their videos

I loved their USA tour

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Jamie is my favorite, he has a very similar sense of humor to me which works really well

I love james because hes chefy but will call ben out when hes being a huge dork

theyre SUCH a fun crew, ive been completely binging their videos

I loved their USA tour

Their battles, big night in, and the 3 different tiers of the same dish are my favourite things they make.

I wish I could financially justify joining their club for their podcast and some big night in club exclusive videos, but because of the pound to cad exchange rate that would cost more than I pay for rooster teeth which I watch far more of, and even almost costs as much as Netflix.
    I'm definitely happy for them that it seems to be successful. It did seem like they must have been struggling before introducing the club.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Oh Sorted talk. I found them recently and its a fun channel. I really like their chemistry with each other.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I find this episode is the one I use to introduce people to Sorted. I think it gives a pretty good approximation of the various personalities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06L3t0kh7Jg

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    American
    i don't watch a lot of sorted videos, but those kitchen gadget vids own

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The one where they got a Sous Vide is gold. Ben and James both geek out about it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I quite like watching Babish videos, but that's quite a specific style

I like reading recipes a whole lot, mostly

• Options
    Oh yeah i just remembered that a few weeks ago i picked up a Red Leicester cheese that melted real well and tastily with the standard australian cheddar that everywhere sells

The other big type th a t all the big brands dfo is Colby, and that's real nice and melty

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    American
    i don't watch a lot of sorted videos, but those kitchen gadget vids own

my favorite thing about these is they did a spin off video of that portable pizza oven where they cooked a bunch of stuff in it and now I want one

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I tried a grilled cheese using mayo instead of butter last night. It was definitely greasier than normal, and I think I played it too safe with the temperature. I reduced the heat from what I normally use since I wasn't sure how well mayo absorbs heat compared to butter, but should've just left it the same. It took forever to get any color on the bread.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Cheddar
    Yeah you fucked it up

Just cook it like normal

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Don't think I've ever tasted havarti. what kinda cheese is it in terms of sharpness?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Havarti
    azith28 wrote: »
    Don't think I've ever tasted havarti. what kinda cheese is it in terms of sharpness?

It's very soft and buttery. There are sharper varieties that might be similar to Swiss

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Cheddar
    havarti is one of the best sandwich cheeses

ham and havarti on a kaiser roll or croissant

good eats

• Options
    Havarti
    Havarti with dill is my favorite.

So good

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    I grew up with American cheese, but in adulthood eventually accepted pepper jack as the way and the light.

Two slices of cheese, wheat bread (but not whole wheat), butter on the pan and on the top slice of bread (which becomes the bottom slice when you actually eat it).

If you want to really class up the joint, add roasted red peppers and a dash of tobasco between the cheese slices. Excellent intersection of sweet, spicy, and savory.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    I'm definitely a blend of cheeses kind of person, on a good rye. Sourdough is good too, but rye is my jam.

I still marvel that a couple years back I had to teach my dad, whose been the family cook for decades and cooks well, how to properly make a grilled cheese. The man kept his heat way too high so the cheese never truly melted through or melded with the bread. His biscuits where perfection at least.

My wife hooked me on Sorted. She made notes of some of their 24hrs in London and related videos of places to visits during her trip to the UK last summer. I was very jealous.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    SOME OTHER KIND
    Any of them

All of them

And dunk it in a big bowl of tomato bisque

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    where is velveeta

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Gruyere
    Wishlist: Gruyere.

Practical: Kirkland American, the stack of 8000 or however many it is slices.

Showing off in front of girlfriend: whatever fancy cheese the local fancy grocery store has.

sarukun on