As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

transformers! (secretly the music thread)

CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Social Entropy++
This is the new music thread.

Yeah the last one kinda sucked in my opinion, cause it was just a long list of song titles, occasionally breaking out in discussion but really being swamped in a thousand track listings.

Lets try and keep this one to a more discussive route, rather than just dumping your favourite tracks in here.

Reccomendations, reviews, any recent gigs you saw, new albums you bought etc.

Someone bought me a DVD of Placebo live in Paris a few days ago, pretty good. Im not really a huge placebo fan, as molkos voice really can grate after a while, but its still a great show. Frank Black turning up at the end to rock out with Where is My Mind was pretty fuckawesome.

Also, I got tickets to Radio Ones big weekend this fuckin weekend, that was pretty awesome. Now i just need to get some goddam transport to get down there and im sorted. should be an amazing show.

Ok go. And remember, try and add substance to this thread.

hihi.jpg
Carnivore on

• Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Beach Boys - Sloop John B

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Band name- Song title

Weaver on
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Jack Johnson - Flake

mrpaku on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Haha, I knew from the get go this wouldn't work. I think I'm listening to The Who, for the record.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Jedi RenegadeJedi Renegade Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Killers - Mr. Brightside

But seriously. I recently saw the Barenaked Ladies and they were fantastic.

Jedi Renegade on
    metalsig.jpg
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shitty Band - Terrible But Catchy Song

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I really need to stop buying all these LPs, its going to take all my money away.

I've been without my turntable so long in college, i'm going nuts and buying every fucking record I see. Yesterday I got Billy Joel's "Glass Houses", Ian Hunter's "You're Never Alone With a Schizophrenic", and The Police's "Outlandos de Amour" add these to FatLip's "The Loniest Punk" on CD and both Interpol albums... shit, I cant buy anything anymore.

this Dire Straits album though, seriously is really fucking good. I'm going to use side one when my girlfriend comes home Wednesday

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have tickets to see Gogol Bordello on July 15th.

:^:

This will be the third time I've seen 'em. They put on such a good show.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Akilae729 wrote: »
    I really need to stop buying all these LPs, its going to take all my money away.

I've been without my turntable so long in college, i'm going nuts and buying every fucking record I see. Yesterday I got Billy Joel's "Glass Houses", Ian Hunter's "You're Never Alone With a Schizophrenic", and The Police's "Outlandos de Amour" add these to FatLip's "The Loniest Punk" on CD and both Interpol albums... shit, I cant buy anything anymore.

this Dire Straits album though, seriously is really fucking good. I'm going to use side one when my girlfriend comes home Wednesday

some guy in our flat at uni had like 200 vinyls and had them all stolen last weekend.

there were some really fucking hot copies in there too, like hes filing insurance for thousands of pounds on the whole thing.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »

some guy in our flat at uni had like 200 vinyls and had them all stolen last weekend.

there were some really fucking hot copies in there too, like hes filing insurance for thousands of pounds on the whole thing.

Yeah, I only started doing vinyls last summer, so I dont have that many yet. But it keeps growing and growing and I have pushin 300 CDs. If I ever got my collection jacked, I would shit a brick.

Problem is that I end up buying a LP to listen to at home and a CD of the same shit so i can have it in the car and such. I've heard that there are a couple of bands that put out new albums on vinyl and include a code so you can go to their site and download the whole album in MP3 so you can have it on iPods and what not. If this became an industry standard, I would fucking cream my pants

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    i'm seeing the killers up in portland and then the arcade fire the day after

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby

:^:

Jedi Renegade on
    metalsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Borfase wrote: »

you mother fucker what a deal.

i tried so hard to get into that arcade fire gig in london not long ago. but it wasnt happenin. their new album is pretty rad.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I don't much like the Arcade Fire but I'm a jealous douche when it comes to the Killers

Jedi Renegade on
    metalsig.jpg
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    Borfase wrote: »

you mother fucker what a deal.

i tried so hard to get into that arcade fire gig in london not long ago. but it wasnt happenin. their new album is pretty rad.

the arcade fire tickets are front row center, i've had them for about 4 months now

i sat at ticketmaster.com hitting refresh over and over and then chose "best available" the second it came up, and bam, awesome tickets

the show sold out in about 5 minutes

the killers i am seeing for free because my friend was kind enough to buy me a ticket as a graduation present

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The first two songs of Outlandos d' Amour are fucking perfect for a guy waiting for his girlfriend to get home

shit

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I laughed when the Killers were on Comic Relief this year. They literally had no idea what was going on and you could feel for them, they just wanted to play and get the fuck out but the presenters were dragging em into the relief aid thing when they clearly just wanted to fuck off.

good band though, strange how they went from this kind of quirky almost college based band with their first album to some sort of gritty bearded tuxedo wearing champs with their second.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I preferred Hot Fuss (their first album).

Jedi Renegade on
    metalsig.jpg
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    anyone listen to the pilllows? the japanese band. New album released recently. Not that great as individual songs, but a very solid album. I hope they tour.

Also I was listening to the second LCD Soundsystems album today and was reminded of how it's not shit like the first one (except for the daft punk song, it was SHIT). Quite a jump.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I got a speeding ticket once due entirely to listening to Polysics - Hot Stuff.

Best £30 I ever spent /got fined :lol:

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »
    anyone listen to the pilllows? the japanese band. New album released recently. Not that great as individual songs, but a very solid album. I hope they tour.

Also I was listening to the second LCD Soundsystems album today and was reminded of how it's not shit like the first one (except for the daft punk song, it was SHIT). Quite a jump.

Oh man, I didn't realize the Pillows new album was coming up already. I'll definitely be checking that out.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »

Oh man, I didn't realize the Pillows new album was coming up already. I'll definitely be checking that out.
    It's called Wake Up! Wake Up! Wake Up!, and Scarecrow was released as an EP. Both are available already.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've listened to "Don't stop me now" by Queen like 30 times the past 2 days.

Love that song.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ShimSham wrote: »

Love that song.

I ruined that song for myself because I listened to it while getting a filling.

It sort of ruined the magic

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ShimSham wrote: »

Love that song.

I have one Queen track on my nano

Flash Gordon theme.

My fucking god it is so good on the train or on long journeys.

DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN FLASH!!!! OOOOOH OOOOOH

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    you better have more Queen though

Queen is fucking essential dammit

Guys go get Life in Cartoon Motion by Mika. The album is fantastic and that man might very well be the next Freddie. Very similar vocal ability and style.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Outlandos d' Amour is making a VERY strong case to be placed on my favorite albums list right now

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    the decemberists have just made it to my favorite band of all time ever

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm gonna go see the Dresden Dolls in Toronto next month

I am super fucking pumped

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Outlandos d' Amour is making a VERY strong case to be placed on my favorite albums list right now
    roooooxannnnne

Faricazy on
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I want to get into vinyl so bad, but the cost of a good turntable is holding me back.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I wish I had more Queen on my iPod, I have like 200 tracks in my iTunes library but when you only have 8 gig of space on the pod you have to make sacrifices.

Speaking of which, I was considering getting one of those new ipod shuffles, which can hold like 150 tracks. narrowing down my library to that much would be so hard. i wouldnt even know where to begin.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I saw Dustin Kensrue (from Thrice) at Cal State Fullerton last wednesday. He played some Springsteen covers and some acoustic thrice stuff, along with his solo album stuff. I have some videos I recorded up on YouTube.

Heres one.

If you're into some of the older folk rock stuff, definitely pick up his album Please Come Home.

683556.jpg

Kinda funny though, I ran into him at In N Out the day after. He lives in my neighborhood.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've seen the Arcade Fire open for David Byrne. Not a bad show.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mika is way hardcore. I've been listening to him for like, a week straight.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    crime_ep.jpg

Bought for £6 purely on the album art alone, which stood out.

An album of short, 2 minute tracks, sounds like its live, great sound to it.

Man im such an impulsive buyer.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    yessssss

Faricazy on
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    A Tribe Called Quest - The Remedy