Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Injured songbird in my driveway

DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist rugged, weatheredRegistered User regular
edited March 8 in Help / Advice Forum
I just got back from some shopping and I found a female cardinal just sitting in the middle of my driveway. I'm guessing it's injured since it doesn't seem to even care that I approached it. What should I do about it? It's freezing outside, so maybe I should put it in a box and bring it inside with some water and some seeds?

Or is this one of those situations like with baby birds where it's better just to leave it alone? Maybe it hit one of my windows and is just stunned and will fly away soon.

EDIT: Never mind. I went out to check on it again and it seems like it died. :(

DisruptedCapitalist on

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    The baby birds thing is a myth apparently. Usually with birds there isn't much you can do.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    ElvenshaeZilla360CambiataQuidzepherinNightDragon
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    For future reference, check if there's a bird sanctuary in your area. They'll often pick birds up and nurse them back to health, and be able to identify the type for you, too.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    ceresDisruptedCapitalistElvenshaeZilla360Shadowfirezepherin
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist rugged, weathered Registered User regular
    edited March 9
    Good point Cello! I've got an Audubon sanctuary nearby so I went to their website to see what they recommend:

https://www.massaudubon.org/learn/nature-wildlife/birds/helping-injured-birds

I guess the main thing is leave them alone and do not attempt to feed. Either they will recover or they won't.

Man, I was already in a bad mood today and now I'm just depressed.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Birds are extremely delicate, and by the time they start showing symptoms that something is wrong, it's almost always too late to do anything - especially if it's a wild bird.

It happened to me a few times when I was younger - in each case I'd asked my mother for help or advice (she'd taken care of a bunch of birds for years when I was a kid) and she'd told me how often it is that you just can't help them. It always sucks... but at least you were proactive in trying!

DisruptedCapitalistElvenshaeSiskaZilla360