As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anthem] Death from Above ! and Sideways ! sometimes even from Below !

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    EA will say that the gam has their full support right up until the lunch meeting where they fire the entire studio and revoke all their system accounts.

That said, the game does seem to be getting real support from EA and with the recent history of these sorts of games launching with problems and then turning things around it’s quite possible that they’ll throw enough resources at the game that they might mount a comeback.

I think the near term threat is other games coming in the market and killing their user base, even if temporarily. Mostly thinking BL3 there.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    EA will say that the gam has their full support right up until the lunch meeting where they fire the entire studio and revoke all their system accounts.

That said, the game does seem to be getting real support from EA and with the recent history of these sorts of games launching with problems and then turning things around it’s quite possible that they’ll throw enough resources at the game that they might mount a comeback.

I think the near term threat is other games coming in the market and killing their user base, even if temporarily. Mostly thinking BL3 there.

Yeah Borderlands 3 is probably going to steal a large chunk of folks away for sure, plus the various other assorted games coming out in the coming months. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see some movement one way or the other around/post Borderlands' release.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah. It's one thing to release and be fighting with every other game for time and mindshare among the internet. It's another thing for half a year to pass, and with it more games coming out for people to get enamoured by.

I say that as the second last of 7 in my group (I think one buddy still does his dailies, I haven't logged on in ages). It was one thing when it called me away from Fortnite and Galaxy of Heroes and whatnot, it'll be another thing when another half year of hot shit has landed in our laps (eww).

Which isn't to say I'd never come back, I'd still like to try out the Cataclysm, maybe finish off the handful of remaining Tier 3 Challenges, more a recognition that it's one thing to hit the ground running at release, it's another thing to overcome not just quarters of reluctance and bullshit on the web, but also pick a fight with the dozens of other titles released in the meantime and when it's finally time to have that big comeback tour.

As the saying goes, you only get one chance to make a first impression. Showering Legendaries and Coin on us only goes so far if I'm already emotionally and financially invested in a half dozen other releases when it happens.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Tbh I think the consequences would be too dire for their brand if they just abandoned anthem; they are pretty dire as is and unless they want it to fuck up their next new IP launch they gotta at least put on a show

Probably they will make one good season/expansion push before cutting bait on it

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Just started getting into GM1 expeditions. Just crunching numbers on my new loot:
    t26BbPi.png

They tell me it's the heaviest hitter of the autocannons, but... my old gun just seems better by virtue of me not having to take damage in order to get that sweet bonus?

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Tbh I think the consequences would be too dire for their brand if they just abandoned anthem; they are pretty dire as is and unless they want it to fuck up their next new IP launch they gotta at least put on a show

Probably they will make one good season/expansion push before cutting bait on it

Yeah I can see them continuing to limp along with Anthem mainly as a hedge against anti lootbox legislation rumbling in various government bodies. That and ea don't really have any other live service portfolios worth a damn moneywise outside of fifa/madden I don't think. BFV tanked hard from what I heard and I don't think they have anything in the pipeline that's ready to go within the next year.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Did performance ever get better? It worse than expected when I tried it but that was in their beta that wasn't a beta or something.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    There's an article on Polygon around single player games and live service games. It reminded me of 15 years ago with the MMO phase all game publishers went through. All this stuff is cyclical. WoW wasn't the first MMO but it refined it and made it incredibly successful. The post WoW MMO scene was insane. Every publisher jumped into the arena and we all know how well that went. Live service type games are going to go through the same phase. They are a large time commitment, like MMO's, which limits how many users can play them and stick with them long term. Publishers are also repeating the same mistakes this time around. They expect a normal AAA development cycle and cost for a full live service game but with games like this, there are more pieces. You have more investment in networking, content, balance, end game, loot, etc. So what we end up with are buggy unfinished games.

I still have some hope, but with MMO's a company had monthly revenue coming in, where live service games may not. You could make the argument that it took years for SWTOR to smooth out (content, bug fixes, balancing, etc). I think this winter is going to be telling. If they can't talk about any sort of major loot upgrades and content updates by the 1 year anniversary, the game is probably done for.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    There's an article on Polygon around single player games and live service games. It reminded me of 15 years ago with the MMO phase all game publishers went through. All this stuff is cyclical. WoW wasn't the first MMO but it refined it and made it incredibly successful. The post WoW MMO scene was insane. Every publisher jumped into the arena and we all know how well that went. Live service type games are going to go through the same phase. They are a large time commitment, like MMO's, which limits how many users can play them and stick with them long term. Publishers are also repeating the same mistakes this time around. They expect a normal AAA development cycle and cost for a full live service game but with games like this, there are more pieces. You have more investment in networking, content, balance, end game, loot, etc. So what we end up with are buggy unfinished games.

I still have some hope, but with MMO's a company had monthly revenue coming in, where live service games may not. You could make the argument that it took years for SWTOR to smooth out (content, bug fixes, balancing, etc). I think this winter is going to be telling. If they can't talk about any sort of major loot upgrades and content updates by the 1 year anniversary, the game is probably done for.

Yeah that's honestly my biggest concern for Anthem. Between needing a major loot/functionality overhaul and actual content updates, Bioware Austin has its work cut out for it. I genuinely wonder how much support and resources they're going to get to actually do anything on this game, and they definitely need to do something pretty big to draw players back to this game in any real number.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

I think Games as a Service only works if it is attached to a full single player game game on launch - the Rockstar and Ubisoft model. That way you get the single player sales, but you can use the GaS to recoup investment in the map/engine while ironing out bugs and creating an alternate revenue stream.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Games as a service can work but the experience has to be pretty robust for people to feel like they’re getting value for their money. It works for stuff like league because the whole experience is well crafted and satisfying, so giving them money (even a fair amount of money) feels worthwhile. Anthem actually has a pretty decent model imo, the problem is the rest of the experience.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Warframe has always been my best success with a games as a service thing; it keeps on going, gets regular updates and I don't feel like the monetization is too hard as you can often get a deal on their in game currency if you want to hustle things along.

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    Warframe has always been my best success with a games as a service thing; it keeps on going, gets regular updates and I don't feel like the monetization is too hard as you can often get a deal on their in game currency if you want to hustle things along.

Free to play seems like a different path to the games that launch for full price then continue on as a GaS.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

Free to play seems like a different path to the games that launch for full price then continue on as a GaS.

They're fundamentally different in terms of expectations and the like.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    To be fair I've felt Warframe constantly asks for my money in ways that GaS don't.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    To be fair I've felt Warframe constantly asks for my money in ways that GaS don't.

Can you elaborate on that?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

Warframe to me personally just comes across as like trying to get into my wallet, between store deals, a flashy store console in my ship that lights up when I go near it, or all the ways "you could spend money to make this faster/get this drop" the game just feels very much f2p "I wish I had this, and look at that its on sale".

Where as games with a buy in, have stores in the games, but usually don't feel as intrusive. Anthem's for a long time was such a non entity I'd forget it was even there, but even games that have similar "you can buy this right now with real money" like forza don't feel as intrusive.

It's the nature of f2p games. PoE with its lame cosmetic options if you don't purchase from their store combined with the game telling you in menu about store sales also feels very "hey spend some money".

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I don't think it makes sense to judge games as a service based on Anthem considering a vast majority of its issues are technical. Anthem launched flopped hard because it was a buggy, unfinished mess and its unfinished because of an incoherent scope and a game engine that is reportedly horrible to work with.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »
    I don't think it makes sense to judge games as a service based on Anthem considering a vast majority of its issues are technical. Anthem launched flopped hard because it was a buggy, unfinished mess and its unfinished because of an incoherent scope and a game engine that is reportedly horrible to work with.

Yes and no. Anthem on release played fine to me. The engine was solid, the action was fun, and the world and characters looked nice. It's just that everything outside of that was sparse, and that's not a programming failure. That's a failure to add in enough content that would exist in journals, audiologs, character models, voice acting, etc. You know, RPG stuff.

I keep going back to Fallout 76 again because, even with the issues, there's a ton of content in the game. If there were more reasons to explore, lore to discover, and characters to find, then I'd be coming back repeatedly. If Anthem dropped a new campaign or just a series of meaty quests, I'd reinstall and take it for another run.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    On the flip side, no amount of additional lore elements would really push me back to the game, the minimal world building they did just isn't an interesting story.

The loot however just isn't diverse enough. The early/mid/end game loot never does enough to change the action up enough.

Anthem will always have the problem that people want a lot of different things from it and is likely to under deliver to all of them this far out

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Warframe to me personally just comes across as like trying to get into my wallet, between store deals, a flashy store console in my ship that lights up when I go near it, or all the ways "you could spend money to make this faster/get this drop" the game just feels very much f2p "I wish I had this, and look at that its on sale".

Where as games with a buy in, have stores in the games, but usually don't feel as intrusive. Anthem's for a long time was such a non entity I'd forget it was even there, but even games that have similar "you can buy this right now with real money" like forza don't feel as intrusive.

It's the nature of f2p games. PoE with its lame cosmetic options if you don't purchase from their store combined with the game telling you in menu about store sales also feels very "hey spend some money".

While I like WarFrame, it is one of the F2P games I would say that you have to spend some amount of money on to enjoy it.

Mostly to buy extra slots for your Frames, weapons, and pets and possibly catalyst/reactors depending on how lucky you are.

It's not nearly as pushy as other F2P games with it's store though.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular

Ok I can see that but for me it was no intrusive. I did end up dropping some cash to buy the frames on sale and to throw some cash to the devs as I was enjoying myself.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    If Anthem had launched with a better more sophisticated loot system and less bugs, I could easily see it's games as a service model working. You have daily and weekly rewards that feed into a monthly reward to keep folks coming back. Maybe tie top tier loot chance to it, so you finish your weekly missions and you get an extra % to high end loot drops. Finish 2 weeks of missions that % increases. Till it resets at the beginning of the next month. Throw in new strongholds every 3 months, a cataclysm (not just the rain filter) at 6 months and major story content at the year mark. Combined with all the decals, paints, custom javelins, etc, I think you'd have enough stuff.

The problem is that Anthem didn't launch bug free and the loot system was a mess. It's not like EA going to invest a ton more into the live service team, so that team that was supposed to work on the above, now has to get the main game up to snuff. Which is why I figure the 1 year mark is a good gauge. If they can't get the game into a stable place, so they can dive into the live service stuff but then, I doubt EA's going to keep supporting it.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

Yes and no. Anthem on release played fine to me. The engine was solid, the action was fun, and the world and characters looked nice. It's just that everything outside of that was sparse, and that's not a programming failure. That's a failure to add in enough content that would exist in journals, audiologs, character models, voice acting, etc. You know, RPG stuff.

I keep going back to Fallout 76 again because, even with the issues, there's a ton of content in the game. If there were more reasons to explore, lore to discover, and characters to find, then I'd be coming back repeatedly. If Anthem dropped a new campaign or just a series of meaty quests, I'd reinstall and take it for another run.

The engine issue is a root cause for a lot of that lack of content. Loads of proposed ideas and features were scrapped because they weren't feasible in frostbite and that (with other things I'm sure) left the narrative developers totally lost on what they wanted the game to even be about. Public comments from ex BW employees indicate that the world was redone several times over and what would be minor changes from directors with most developer tools were a total nightmare in frostbite and it reached a point where engine limitations were dictating the scope of the entire project.

Even if you are a unicorn that didn't experience game crashes, the infinite load screen, and somehow wasn't bothered by 4-6 load screens in between anything I'm sure your can understand that kind of leech on resources are going to rob a project from the kind of content you think was missing.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Has it really been a full week with nobody having anything to say about Anthem? How’s the new content beta going, for folks that are in it?

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    Has it really been a full week with nobody having anything to say about Anthem? How’s the new content beta going, for folks that are in it?

was looking for recent videos or news from players regarding the PTS and what was going on but other than ones from when it first opened I didn't find much at all.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm glad EA/Bioware's taking the time to fix things, but at this point whatever they unveil needs to be big and attention-getting.

There's definitely a danger the game will gradually improve and become all-around great but no one will notice.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I know I uninstalled it. I'm not unwilling to reinstall but don't have a reason to right.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Is the new content that Public server? I got an invite for that but never tried it.

My buddy picked it up pretty cheap though so Ill prob install and mess around a bit.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Time related to Anthem is better spent actually playing it, imo.

Not really interested in talking about it at this point.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I'm personally waiting for the Cataclysm stuff to hit. I've seen lots of cool videos and images and stuff, but I'm so burnt out on the eventual push back posting any good news about Anthem gets that I just don't talk about it anymore.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Same, just waiting for cataclysm to drop. Not worth trying pts either to avoid just getting bummed again.

I do really hope they fix a number of things, one being bossee being massive bullet sponges.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Edit: Never mind, just gonna ignore it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Just started getting into GM1 drops, starting to get some hilarious synergy between Masterworks.

Assault rifle sets dudes on fire > blast missile sets off combo > combo instantly adds 100% charge back to launchers > set more dudes on fire

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular

Time related to Anthem is better spent actually playing it, imo.

Not really interested in talking about it at this point.

That is a totally understandable position. I was asking as a PS4 Freelancer who was hoping that someone actually in the PTS would have intel to share. That said, I haven’t had much time for playing or foruming lately, so I guess it doesn’t really matter much either way from this end. :|

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    iYmENS0.jpg

eckSCUSE mE

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    On the topic of Anthem's future, I think a factor that works very strongly in its long term future is the fact that EA is struggling on all fronts right now.

Battlefield 5 is failing to perform. Nobody seems to care about that game. Battlefront 2 was obviously a huge travesty that never really recovered from its 2017 loot box scandal at launch. Despite their best efforts, that game has never really brought back the players they lost when they launched a full priced game with a Pay 2 Win loot box scheme. And after an initial burst of momentum at launch, Apex Legends has pretty much fallen off the map at this point, with the majority of battle royale players going back to Fortnite.

So at this point, EA doesn't have much going on. They need to make Anthem succeed because if they don't, their next 1/2 years is pretty bleak. So I guess in a way that's a positive? It's weird to say that the failure of a company across multiple titles might lead to a better investment of resources into Anthem. But that's where we're at.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Aye I wouldn't be surprised they continue to support anthem simply as another revenue stream. The mech skins do look pretty neat, but given ea's track record, I will be very curious to see how long that kind of life support will run.

• Options
    Jumped in for a bit to screw around and there's a huge storm in the sky and different elemental enemies all over. Seems like there are some new free play quests as well, had one where the dominion was frozen. Is this build up to the cataclysm event?

• Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    Jumped in for a bit to screw around and there's a huge storm in the sky and different elemental enemies all over. Seems like there are some new free play quests as well, had one where the dominion was frozen. Is this build up to the cataclysm event?
    Seems like! The big stuff isn't in yet, but I guess this is just a tease to help get people hyped again.

Just make sure that the freeplay map you zone into has the Lightning-Cloud in the distance, or else you won't be able to do pre-event stuff on it. Also, supposedly there's a bug where killing crystalline enemies doesn't always give credit; finishing them with a gun or a melee attack is more likely to register than killing them with abilities.