As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo Power going kaput?

AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
Oh dear.
I practically grew up on NP.
I'd never really think for it to end. D:
Hopefully this rumor is just, well, a rumor.

PSN + Zune :>
Sillender.jpgSillender.png
AggroChan on

• ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Scrumtrulescent on
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    wait

isn't the guy who wrote this blog full of many things

including shit

Scrumtrulescent on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I hope it isin't true. I can't hate a magazine that printed the AWESOME mario bros. comic

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    wait

isn't the guy who wrote this blog full of many things

including shit

i hope so

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, that's the way of the world; print "journalism" just isn't as big as it used to be, and it's only going to get smaller. Bittersweet that this is happening in a time of unprecedented success for Nintendo.

What I'm going to miss are the free giveaways that came with membership. I currently subscribe, and for that I got a Twilight Princess soundtrack CD and a strategy guide. With giveaways like that, the magazine itself is essentially free.

Saddler on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It would be a shame... NP finally turned itself around the last year or so, and made itself into a truly great looking (and reading) magazine. To see that effort end in failure is heartbreaking. :|

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Guys. Guys.

NP. Online.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    full of many things

including shit

Saint's Row reference?

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    The month after I canceled my subscription, NP gave away the Smash Bros. CD.

FUCK YOU NINTENDO POWER.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This rumor isn't worded with much confidence. The available information in the article could be written unaltered and have the headline of "Nintendo Power headquarters relocated to NYC" and be just as valid.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    doomed

Zek on
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Nintendo power wasn't a good magazine, though, just like all official magazines: bad reviews, bad previews, and it didn't come with a demo disc (all that makes OPM and OXM worth anything)

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Nintendo power wasn't a good magazine, though, just like all official magazines: bad reviews, bad previews, and it didn't come with a demo disc (all that makes OPM and OXM worth anything)

Well, OPM is done already and it wasn't controlled by Sony in the way that NP is (I'm not sure on OXM). With OPM, there was an agreement for that magazine to use the "official" title and have the demo discs.

I know NP was a horrible magazine, but I have such fond memories of it and I'm sorry to see it go.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote: »
    This rumor isn't worded with much confidence. The available information in the article could be written unaltered and have the headline of "Nintendo Power headquarters relocated to NYC" and be just as valid.

That's what I'm reading as well.
    Guys. Guys.

NP. Online.

Or...

Nintendo Power Channel.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, OPM is done already and it wasn't controlled by Sony in the way that NP is (I'm not sure on OXM)
    CONSPIRACIES

Anyways, I hated NP back when I had a subscription to it, but if they did get better recently, kinda sucks if they go down. Oh well, if GMR can be replaced by Sync, all that is good is doomed.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

Well, OPM is done already and it wasn't controlled by Sony in the way that NP is (I'm not sure on OXM). With OPM, there was an agreement for that magazine to use the "official" title and have the demo discs.

I know NP was a horrible magazine, but I have such fond memories of it and I'm sorry to see it go.

NP -was- a horrible magazine, but in the last year, it really turned around into a great thing. I'll be sad to see it go.

Of course, I have a bit of nostalgia, too... I still have issues 2-50 in my parents' basement, as well as my gold 2 year renewal pin.
    Nerdgasm

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Guys. Guys.

NP. Online.
    I hate online magazines.

Yeah, I get the novelty of having to turn the pages on some memory heavy app, but really it's just annoying.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Online magazines, or most of them anyhow, don't take the advantage of the medium. It's just a magazine format slapped on a PDF. Not fun to read.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    AggroChan wrote: »
    Oh dear.
    I used to buy games after seeing them in NP previews.

I would have never found out about Goemon or Pocky and Rocky otherwise, and I am grateful for that. I will miss them.

Although I remember it being kinda annoying that at one point they were so kid friendly that they wouldnt allow any previews/reviews of M rated games.

BiggNife on
    edited May 2007
    They left Conker entirely out of their awards for that year.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2007
    Why don't they just prepackage a free copy in every Wii with a discount subscription offer?

Unknown User on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Rygar wrote: »
    Why don't they just prepackage a free copy in every Wii with a discount subscription offer?

That's what I was thinking...

Lucky Cynic on
  • Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    Well, OPM is done already and it wasn't controlled by Sony in the way that NP is (I'm not sure on OXM)
    CONSPIRACIES

Anyways, I hated NP back when I had a subscription to it, but if they did get better recently, kinda sucks if they go down. Oh well, if GMR can be replaced by Sync, all that is good is doomed.

It's true though. NP is a physical part of the company.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    NP has been a great magazine for the last year and a half (ever since the reboot). Around the late N64 and Gamecube era, they sucked.

With Nintendo getting popular again, I can't see WHY a move like this would make sense.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Does anyone have some of the old claymation covers in high resolution?

Original Rufus on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    BiggNife wrote: »
    AggroChan wrote: »
    Oh dear.
    I used to buy games after seeing them in NP previews.

I would have never found out about Goemon or Pocky and Rocky otherwise, and I am grateful for that. I will miss them.

Although I remember it being kinda annoying that at one point they were so kid friendly that they wouldnt allow any previews/reviews of M rated games.

I remember them previewing/reviewing South park and Shadow Man for the N64.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm getting nothing resembling, you know, a rumor worthy of merit here. Call me when/if Nintendo actually comments on it.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    They should make a Nintendo Power channel on the Wii.

It could have motion controls for turning pages and everything!

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    exist wrote: »

[Gabe"] "Flick left, numbers go up, flick right numbers go down!"

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    edited May 2007

[Gabe] "This Nintendo Power game is fucked up."

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i usually try not to pay attention to rumors, but i really hope this isn't true. NP puts out a pretty good magazine.

inthegray on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's been years since I've had a subscription (like late SNES/early N64 era) but I never really read NP for balanced reviews. I read it for helpful hints about featured games, messing around with the cheat codes in the back and for previews of what was coming up down the line.

The hints and maps were by far the biggest draw for me. It made having the subscription actually useful.

HappylilElf on
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    inthegray wrote: »
    i usually try not to pay attention to rumors, but i really hope this isn't true. NP puts out a pretty good magazine.

It's more believable that it could be outsourced to another publisher. Nintendo is going to want to keep some kind of Nintendo-centered magazine on the shelves as long as there are Sony and MS centered magazines. Getting someone else to publish it would cut their costs without getting rid of the thing and losing the visibility it provides.

Saddler on
  • dantreedantree Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I am with the "I will believe it when I hear it from Nintendo" camp.

And it is true, in the last year or so the reviews have gotten a lot better, some even being outright harsh. Plus I love the previews of all the games I cannot afford.

dantree on
    psn: dantree
  • Vladimir LeninpestVladimir Leninpest Registered User new member
    edited May 2007

[Gabe"] "Flick left, numbers go up, flick right numbers go down!"

[Filbert] "Flick your wrist, wash your hands, flick your wrist, wash your hands."

Vladimir Leninpest on
    AC:WW | 2191.0660.5372 | Name: vladimir | Town: zozo
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Rygar wrote: »

That's what I was thinking...

Register a few Nintendo products, including the Wii, and you can get three free issues and an option to subscribe for a year for 12 dollars.

You really can't beat that.

And the magazine has improved drastically in the past year or two. It is by no means bad, has a lot of good content you can't find online (including some exclusive stories), and the reviews aren't as bad as anyone says.

I hope to God this isn't true. I hate rumors.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm kinda on the opposite end where I felt that Nintendo Power was good back in the 64 days, but isn't that great now. Their magazines now'n days always seem to be at least a good month or two behind in the news area, and a lot of the pages just seem to be readers saying "Oh man, I love my Wii soo much", and the editors replying "Yeah, the Wii is really neat! Thanks for writing!". Although their reviews aren't too bad.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    NES and SNES era was awesome.

It fell out of favor in N64 days and what I've seen right now seems okay but the only print magazine I still read is EGM and occasionally GI.

JJ on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I also remember it being good in the SNES days when i read it, and was but a wee lad =p. However I recently used game registrations to get the three free issues (january, february and march) and oh. my. god. Were they horrible. how the mighty have fallen nintendo power. Maybe its best for nintendo to kill them off before they sink any lower

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Nintendo should really throw them some hefty exclusives. If next issue was a 6 page cover story on MP3 it would be epic.

JJ on