As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NCAA Basketball: South Carolina Wins The Best Women's Tournamnet

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Someone check on Bill Walton

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    adam morrison can stop crying now holy shit

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Hell of a play note on the Yahoo Sports app:

0.8sec in OT J. Suggs hits 35 foot 3-pointer

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    i have a shit ton of respect for suggs now
    not just cause of that shot but ever since he picked up his 4th foul he never stopped playing balls to the wall knowing that his next aggressive move could be his last in the game
    without that attitude he would've never gotten that monster block with a minute left in regulation

there's a universe where he gets whistled for that block and never gets to attempt that game ender and he played like he was ok with that, that's some mamba shit

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    not just cause of that shot but ever since he picked up his 4th foul he never stopped playing balls to the wall knowing that his next aggressive move could be his last in the game
    without that attitude he would've never gotten that monster block with a minute left in regulation

there's a universe where he gets whistled for that block and never gets to attempt that game ender and he played like he was ok with that, that's some mamba shit

You mean the all hands, no ball block that should have been his 5th foul? The entire game felt different in a bad way after that, and made that last shot incredibly disappointing for me. Still, if it's gotta be my one game of the year to watch, I'll take it

Edit: I bet that universe handled covid due to significantly less trump, too

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    yes technically that was clean but c'mon you've watched enough basketball to understand that refs have called cleaner plays fouls, it was a risky move regardless, when you go up with your hands like that, there are no guarantees
    most players in that situation would not have played even half as aggressively as he did in those last minutes and in OT

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    yes technically that was clean but c'mon you've watched enough basketball to understand that refs have called cleaner plays fouls, it was a risky move regardless, when you go up with your hands like that, there are no guarantees
    most players in that situation would not have played even half as aggressively as he did in those last minutes and in OT

Trey Burke against Louisville comes to mind. Not that I'm still mad about it or anything.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Eh. That was a pretty clean play. He got the ball. He got a bit of hand too. The refs had called worse fouls in the game already that would have changed the course of the game. Like. At one point they called a foul on the zags and counted the basket where the shooter took two steps after the foul before shooting. Two step that would have made the play a travel had a foul not been called. And there were so many of these on either side it is actually difficult to disentangle who got out worse from the refs shittiness. There was a call where a UCLA basket was disallowed because of a ticky tack off the ball foul while the shot was in the air that so confused the players that the person who was fouled thought they were blowing the whistle on him. There were multiple instances where the announcers had no clue what was going on because they could not tell what was called and why.

I am not going to get on them for swallowing their whistle on a play that was marginally a foul at worst when there is so much other shit to complain about. Holy hell they called a travel going one way when it was clearly a foul instead and then like the next play going the other way called a foul on no contact when the player clearly traveled.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    my point isn't whether or not it was clean or not, my point is 99% of players i've watched in all of basketball would not have even tried to contest a dunk in that situation especially with 4 fouls and coming from behind, the only ones who would even consider such a move are hall of famers
    some would even call it reckless, but it was ultimately that confidence that won them the game

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

Yeah, Jalen Suggs cemented his NBA status.

Especially if the Zag's cap it off (PLEASE BEAT BAYLOR!) Monday.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    my point isn't whether or not it was clean or not, my point is 99% of players i've watched in all of basketball would not have even tried to contest a dunk in that situation especially with 4 fouls and coming from behind, the only ones who would even consider such a move are hall of famers
    some would even call it reckless, but it was ultimately that confidence that won them the game

I was responding more to veevee who said “the game felt different after that”

That was a good no call and it’s amazing that that was the straw that broke the camels back rather than *waves hands in the general direction of the game*

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »

I'll have very mixed allegiances as a casual fan come Monday. I was raised Baptist (even going so far as preping for seminary after high schoo at Baylor or William Jewel college) but had a falling out with some regional brass and a couple of years after that I began the conversion process for Catholicism when I came the closest to being married in my life (was engaged for almost a year, ended in an amicable break, we agreed to share custody of her grandma's Tuscan cooking).

The Jesuit priest that was guiding me through the Cathecism and I spent many a night arguing Aquinas, Duns Scotus, and Abelard over brandy. Still talk to him on ocassion.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »

I'll have very mixed allegiances as a casual fan come Monday. I was raised Baptist (even going so far as preping for seminary after high schoo at Baylor or William Jewel college) but had a falling out with some regional brass and a couple of years after that I began the conversion process for Catholicism when I came the closest to being married in my life (was engaged for almost a year, ended in an amicable break, we agreed to share custody of her grandma's Tuscan cooking).

The Jesuit priest that was guiding me through the Cathecism and I spent many a night arguing Aquinas, Duns Scotus, and Abelard over brandy. Still talk to him on ocassion.

Sure but also fuck Baylor

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Goumindong wrote: »

I was responding more to veevee who said “the game felt different after that”

That was a good no call and it’s amazing that that was the straw that broke the camels back rather than *waves hands in the general direction of the game*

It felt different because it felt like it was the moment that sealed UCLA's fate of losing the game, which in the end it kinda actually did. Sure it took until OT for the player that would have been fouled out to make the buzzer beater, but I think the call going the other way would have been the single difference for UCLA to win it in regulation.

Edit:. I don't really care much either way, I only watched the game for the upset, and was ready to turn it off the moment gonzaga started to pull away. The game itself was really good from start to finish

Veevee on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Women's National Championship game is on ESPN right now

Arizona vs Stanford, end of the 2nd quarter

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Pulling for Arizona, Adia Barnes' double birds in the timeout won me over

• Options
    Stanford has a total mismatch with whoever is trying to guard Haley Jones and refuses to take it.

• Options
    What on earth was that.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Stanford's plan: triple team McDonald because she's not passing in that situation. She almost made it too.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Welp

• Options
    That final inbounds and play was less than ideal

• Options
    The late game strategy both ways was less than impressive.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Arizona needed to use their last timeout, pretty tragic inbounds

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Now I wonder what the longest gap between championships is for a coach. This was Tara Vanderveer's third national title (third coach to do that) but first since 1992.

• Options
    Hubert Davis hired at UNC. Williams probably made that hire?

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Hubert Davis hired at UNC. Williams probably made that hire?

I was going to be shocked if the Tar Heels didn't pick Davis, being a former Tar heel himself. Williams, more than likely, was grooming Hubert for the last few years to be the next in line UNC Men's Basketball head coach.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So on a scale of one to total couging it, how bad is Gonzaga going to coug it tonight? Lose by twenty never having a lead all game?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I still want to see Sheed as big time college coach

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    So on a scale of one to total couging it, how bad is Gonzaga going to coug it tonight? Lose by twenty never having a lead all game?

Looking mighty prescient so far. That wasn't a charge though

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »

Teams from washington state choke, its what they do.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Baylor has 14 more shot attempts than Gonzaga which is yikes. Baylor also making an unsustainable percentage on threes.

• Options
    Baylor has 14 more shot attempts than Gonzaga which is yikes. Baylor also making an unsustainable percentage on threes.

However they are sustaining it.

Also the refs are in the tank for Baylor. Which helps. Huge hack no call when Baylor does it. All ball on the block on the other side in the same play? Foul

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Yeah the Zags are looking like Buffalo in a Super Bowl

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Nothing matters if you can't make a free throw or get a rebound.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »

Yeah the Zags are looking like Buffalo in a Super Bowl

Brutal but fair.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Look at Nostradamus ova here! Everytime Preacher post about an Eastern Washington team, Eastern Washingtonians shiver in fear.

Sigh, "FUCK BAYLOR!"

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, we had a final between a college that literally runs a retirement home for abusive priests, and a college that has had scandal after scandal out of its athletic program.

(sigh) No matter who won, we were going to lose.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Donsunmu going to try to figure out the whole going left thing in the NBA.

• Options
    If Zoolander can do it

• Options
    Arizona finally fired Sean Miller. Stuck by him for four years for blatant rules violations, but a bad season was obviously too much.